AT&T WIFI connect problem

Mentor

AT&T WIFI connect problem

Can somebody tell me why my wife can't connect at the Baton Rouge airport?  Her laptop connects to the 'flybtr' SSID, but when she enters
'IPASS/ my SBCGLOBAL.NET' - then she gets an error messge.

2 Miles Baton Rouge Metro Airport
9430 Jackie Cochran Dr.
Baton Rouge, LA
map   directions SSID: flybtr
Login Format: IPASS/username
Premier Roaming Location
Message 1 of 14 (763 Views)
Master

Re: AT&T WIFI connect problem

try   password   joansmith@att.net

less u have sbcglobal carried over ??

dunno really havent been out with lappie   etc
some others have koolkid and spd2d for sure
so maybe they can help when they arrive ?
u also might do a search of threads here  etc

some thoughts
randy
Message 2 of 14 (763 Views)
Master

maybe try just the user name instead of the full email address? IPASS/joansmith instead of IPASS/joansmith@sbcglobal.net
Message 3 of 14 (763 Views)
Mentor

Thanks for the help.  I don't have an ATT.NET address.  Turns out that to use any 'PREMIER ROAMING LOCATION', you have to be paying an extra $19.99 per month.  Of course, I have never been able to connect at any McDonald's 'attwifi' either, and that is supposed to be free.
Message 4 of 14 (763 Views)
Master

I've used the mcd's ones before, call the number it gives you sometime when you are at mcd's if you can't connect. They were really helpful, even though at first the girl didn't know that Uverse customers get free access. But since ATT extended that access even to regular DSL users, they should know. The username versus full email can be the tricky part sometimes.
Message 5 of 14 (763 Views)
Professor

I've used McD's and Barnes and Noble hotspots hundreds of times with no issues at all.

The McD's hotspots prompt you for your username and then have a separate pull down menu to select the domain (@sbcglobal.net, etc) so you don't enter the whole address in the first field.

I only use the primary account to connect, but has anyone had success using a sub-account to get on the WiFi??

Message 6 of 14 (763 Views)
Expert

I've always been able to connect at ATT Hotspots.
Message Edited by spd2demun on 06-30-2008 06:21 PM
Message 7 of 14 (763 Views)
Contributor

Does anyone have the Premier Service?  According to the WiFi order page (http://www.att.com/gen/general?pid=5949), U-Verse & DSL customers can order it for $9.99 a month.  When I click the Order Now link though I just get routed to myYahoo.  I called the 800 number listed for trouble with orders and I was transferred 4 times before I found someone who knew what the WiFi product even was!  Then, although she was super nice, she was not able to help me - even after being on the phone for almost 2 hours while she consulted tech support, managers, etc.  She said she would continue to work on it and call me back.  That was 3 weeks ago.  I really would love to add this service to my account - does anyone know how to do it?  I've used the basic service at a few places and it worked with no issues, but I would love to be able to use it at the airports which requires the Premier subscription.

Thanks,
Janice
Message 8 of 14 (763 Views)
Expert

Re Premier--read TONS of discussion about it on UU:

(I don't think anyone there has gotten a straight answer yet.)

Message Edited by spd2demun on 02-24-2008 09:51 AM
Message 9 of 14 (763 Views)
Mentor

My wife and I were vacationing in Las Vegas and while waiting for our flight back, I got both our laptops connected to the AT&T WIFI at McDonald's with my ID.  Worked great!
Message 10 of 14 (763 Views)
Tutor

I just did the same thing today, spent hours on the phone with customer service and no one could help, though they tried. I have tried and tried and as you stated it just takes me to my yahoo home page. I'll post if I eventually get it to work, customer service told me they would contact the appropiate people about the wrong web address.
Message 11 of 14 (666 Views)
Expert

Try this number/e-mail:  1-888-888-7520 or support@attwifi.com

Sounds like you went through what I did, TS didn't understand the difference between wireless as in wifi/hotspots or wireless as in cell phones...and they also had it confused with wifi/wireless on the UV RG!

C130 wrote:
I just did the same thing today, spent hours on the phone with customer service and no one could help, though they tried. I have tried and tried and as you stated it just takes me to my yahoo home page. I'll post if I eventually get it to work, customer service told me they would contact the appropiate people about the wrong web address.

Message 12 of 14 (666 Views)
Highlighted
Tutor

re: I only use the primary account to connect, but has anyone had success using a sub-account to get on the WiFi??

No. I tried about 3 (maybe 4?) years ago when the service first rolled out ($1.99 for SBC DSL subscribers, now free), with no success, and when I researched in SBC online help I found that it only applied to the main account, not sub-accounts. Have no idea where that help file is at, this was back when it was called FreedomLink .

Regards, Bill

Edit: Found this on the AT&T site at: AT&T Wi-Fi Support:

• I get free AT&T Wi-Fi Basic with AT&T High Speed Internet Pro or Elite,
    FastAccess® DSL Xtreme, Xtreme 6.0, or AT&T U-verse. How do I login?

• Use your primary High Speed Internet, DSL or AT&T U-verse username and password on the hotspot's webpage.

•  

Message Edited by qtech on 07-19-2008 10:16 PM
    Message Edited by qtech on 07-19-2008 10:16 PM
    Message 13 of 14 (666 Views)
    Contributor

The at&t wifis at the Starbucks and Barnes & Nobles location in the Bella Terra Mall in Huntington Beach continually conflict with eachother.  I get dropped from one channel constantly and end up moving to another channel that does not work for a while (up to 30 min's sometimes).  I have to keep trying to re-connect to the other channel to get the internet to start working again.  Once it finally changes channels it seems to work fine but it's a major pain to deal with.  Not sure why one channel works sometimes and other times it doesn't but it is only this location that I have the problem.  I'm using Windows XP FYI and other users here have told me they have the same issue.

Message 14 of 14 (539 Views)
    Share this topic
    Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.