AT&T Network Routing Change

Expert

AT&T Network Routing Change

In the Houston area, it looks like AT&T changed some routing this morning, and the change has improved latency.

This is a graph of my ping time to Google for the last 24 hours:

Previously, for the last several months, my average round-trip ping time to Google is about 36 msec.

As of 6:30 AM this morning, it is averaging 29 msec, a 7 msec improvement.

(Note: Please ignore the odd ping times graphed between 1 AM and 6 AM, this is when my online backup runs which saturates the upload, and causes high and variable ping times).

I'm not sure what AT&T did, but this represents a notable improvement in Internet routing and latency.

Message 1 of 5
Guru

Re: AT&T Network Routing Change

Do a tracert and compare it to a old tracert...

Im not Smart! The Voices in my Head are!!
Message 2 of 5
Expert

I did, but didn't see a whole lot of difference.  Maybe one hop is different.

Message 3 of 5
ACE - Expert

Before I moved to my new computer I had MRTG capturing a PING time very similar to yours, but to a AT&T DNS server.  And I noticed that every now and then the PING time changed dramatically (>10 ms), then stayed that way for a few weeks and then would change again.  Sometimes the change was good, sometimes, well, not so good.

I've been too lazy to set up MRTG on the new system.  I need to quit playing stupid FB games and do something useful for a change. Smiley Sad

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 5
Guru

computer games are great for the mind.

Im not Smart! The Voices in my Head are!!
Message 5 of 5
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Hub!
We have some helpful articles located under TV Hot Topics.
On the left you will see DIRECTV and U-verse TV links. Click on those links for more information regarding Apps, Billing, and TV troubleshooting tips.

Additional Support