Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted May 10, 2011
8:03:22 PM
AT&T Network Routing Change

In the Houston area, it looks like AT&T changed some routing this morning, and the change has improved latency.

This is a graph of my ping time to Google for the last 24 hours:

Previously, for the last several months, my average round-trip ping time to Google is about 36 msec.

As of 6:30 AM this morning, it is averaging 29 msec, a 7 msec improvement.

(Note: Please ignore the odd ping times graphed between 1 AM and 6 AM, this is when my online backup runs which saturates the upload, and causes high and variable ping times).

I'm not sure what AT&T did, but this represents a notable improvement in Internet routing and latency.

In the Houston area, it looks like AT&T changed some routing this morning, and the change has improved latency.

This is a graph of my ping time to Google for the last 24 hours:

Previously, for the last several months, my average round-trip ping time to Google is about 36 msec.

As of 6:30 AM this morning, it is averaging 29 msec, a 7 msec improvement.

(Note: Please ignore the odd ping times graphed between 1 AM and 6 AM, this is when my online backup runs which saturates the upload, and causes high and variable ping times).

I'm not sure what AT&T did, but this represents a notable improvement in Internet routing and latency.

AT&T Network Routing Change

4 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(4)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 11, 2011 7:27:36 AM
(0)
ACE - Guru

Do a tracert and compare it to a old tracert...

Im not Smart! The Voices in my Head are!!

Do a tracert and compare it to a old tracert...

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: AT&T Network Routing Change

2 of 5 (199 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 11, 2011 8:29:51 AM
(0)
Expert

I did, but didn't see a whole lot of difference.  Maybe one hop is different.

I did, but didn't see a whole lot of difference.  Maybe one hop is different.

3 of 5 (185 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 11, 2011 12:10:20 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Before I moved to my new computer I had MRTG capturing a PING time very similar to yours, but to a AT&T DNS server.  And I noticed that every now and then the PING time changed dramatically (>10 ms), then stayed that way for a few weeks and then would change again.  Sometimes the change was good, sometimes, well, not so good.

I've been too lazy to set up MRTG on the new system.  I need to quit playing stupid FB games and do something useful for a change. Smiley Sad

Before I moved to my new computer I had MRTG capturing a PING time very similar to yours, but to a AT&T DNS server.  And I noticed that every now and then the PING time changed dramatically (>10 ms), then stayed that way for a few weeks and then would change again.  Sometimes the change was good, sometimes, well, not so good.

I've been too lazy to set up MRTG on the new system.  I need to quit playing stupid FB games and do something useful for a change. Smiley Sad

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 5 (159 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 11, 2011 12:35:16 PM
(0)
ACE - Guru

computer games are great for the mind.

computer games are great for the mind.

5 of 5 (151 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments