AT&T Internet / e-Mail McAfee Virus Protection

AT&T Internet / e-Mail McAfee Virus Protection

I switched to AT&T U-Verse Phone and Internet last year.  When I had SBC Yahoo the online protection was Norton for antivirus.  I had SBC Yahoo for years and never had a problem with virus or spyware.  Upon switching over to the AT&T U-Verse Internet product I now have the McAfee Total Protection Security Software.  Unfortunately, I am constantly acquiring trojans and viruses that cannot be removed.  I have called AT&T U-Verse Tech countless times and spent HOURS on the phone with them doing various fixes.  Most recently I lost my internet access via u-verse through my phone line, so a tech was sent out to take a look at my problem.  He said he could not figure out why we could access our internet through the u-verse phone line modem so he installed a wi-fi connection.  The next day was unable to access my e-mail so I ran a McAfee total scan and there were over 100 virus' and a trojan indentified on my PC.  When I tried to have McAfee remove them I received a message from McAfee that I needed to e-mail all of them to McAfee with a certain message included on the e-mail.  About an hour later my PC quit working and I could not access ANYTHING.  I had big red shields popping up all over that my PC was infected and then a Windows advertisement popped up and then it did an automatic scan of my PC that I could not stop or cancel.  The scan showed over 119 virus' and multiple trojans.  This Windows program offered me the option to purchase their software to remove these virus' / trojans.  We immediately contacted AT&T Tech Support were told that there is nothing that can be done and that we have to hire someone to come out and repair our PC.  I am seriously disappointed that this is how AT&T services it's customers.  Instead of resolving my first issue when the AT&T technician came out he created a worse more serious issue and of course AT&T is takin the high road and not assisting me the customer with their product / product support.  If I have to purchase a new PC or find out that my PC is destroyed because of AT&T's inability to provide sufficient online virus protection, I am going to file a formal complaint as well as cancel my phone and internet service with them.  This is simply unacceptable service.  I pay a premium price for internet and phone service through AT&T U-Verse and expect premium service and support. 
Message 1 of 17 (11,181 Views)
ACE - Expert

Re: AT&T Internet / e-Mail McAfee Virus Protection

You could save your computer by reformatting and reinstalling the operating system and programs.

That's the untimate virus elimination routine.   Somehow the McAfee software was not properly turned

on for protection as you wouldn't have gotten all those trojans and viruses if it was.  Personally I would

never use McAfee or Norton.  I use Microsoft Security Essentials, have free Zone Alarm and use a

MVPS hosts file and have never received a trojan, virus or any other problem. :smileywink:

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
1-800-983-2811 to avoid Mr. Voice Recognition
YRMV IMHO Simply a U-verse user, nothing more
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 17 (11,180 Views)
Guru

Unfortunately, nothing can be done to resolve internet connection issues with a computer that is infected. This is the problem the U-verse technician may have had. Neither AT&T, Yahoo, nor MacAfee are responsible for keeping malware off of your computer just because they provide you with some basic tools to help you do that. New threats emerge daily, and no antivirus can catch them all, especially if the software hasn't been updated for a while.

For example, there has been a recent discovery if a security flaw in IE. Many workplaces are receiving a notice like the following:

A critical flaw has been recently discovered in the Microsoft's Internet Explorer (IE) that if exploited could lead to a complete compromise of a victim's computer. An  attack may come in several forms, but it most commonly occurs when a user visits a malicious or infected website by clicking on the link embedded in a phishing email or received via instant messaging. It is also possible for the attack to succeed via the use of malicious banner ads.

This Internet Explorer flaw has been exploited  in the wave of recent attacks against a number of high profile companies, Google being one such company. To
make the situation worse, the attack code has been released publicly on the internet which significantly increases the possibility of further widespread attacks using the vulnerability, therefore placing Internet Explorer users at potentially serious risk.

Microsoft is working on a patch in order to correct the flaw, our Antivirus and network defense mechanisms have been updated to help identify and block this
attack.  However, the recent attacks on other companies have succeeded as a result of employees not taking basic security precautions. It is extremely important for every user to follow these basic steps:

1. Never open any suspicious email attachments.

2. Never click on any links in suspicious emails.

3. Always make sure your Antivirus software is up to date

4. Be extra vigilant when visiting any website in the Internet

5. Never click on any suspicious pop up windows (asking you to install a free codec or that your computer is infected with a virus)

6. Never click on any embedded media contents

7. Due to the significance of the recent earthquake in Haiti, attackers may try to take advantage to incorporate malware with Haiti-related web content.

Do not click on any links in any suspicious and/or unsolicited emails which claims to have the latest development on the Haiti disaster.  

My recommendation is take your computer to a service center. For about $75-$100, they may be able to remove the malware without having to reformat your hard drive. Good luck.

Message Edited by erazoner on 01-22-2010 09:59 AM
Message 3 of 17 (11,180 Views)
Scholar

survivor621 wrote:
When I had SBC Yahoo the online protection was Norton for antivirus.  I had SBC Yahoo for years and never had a problem with virus or spyware.  Upon switching over to the AT&T U-Verse Internet product I now have the McAfee Total Protection Security Software.  Unfortunately, I am constantly acquiring trojans and viruses that cannot be removed.

A comment here.

SBC/AT&T switched from Norton to McAfee around 2 years ago (if I remember correctly).  The switch to McAfee applies to DSL users, not just to u-verse users.

The Norton that they had been using was bloatware.  The McAfee that they are now using is bloatware.  The next time I have to install an AV, I will first try MSE (Microsoft Security Essentials) - it seems to have good reviews.

No AV can provide complete protection.  The virus writers are continually changing their code to evade the AV, and if you pick up a new one before the AV provider has updated their filters you will be infected.

Message 4 of 17 (11,180 Views)

Chris Thank you for the information.  I hear also that many folks prefer Firefox vs. Internet Explorer as a more secure browser...  any thoughts on that?
Message 5 of 17 (11,180 Views)

Erazoner

Thank you for your reply and the information.  While I total understand that AT&T is not responsible for keeping virus from infecting my PC as well as fixing a PC that is infected, I still do not believe that the technician that serviced me from AT&T was proficient and do not feel a WiFi / wireless connection should have been necessary to access my e-mail.  When choosing my internet / e-mail provider I do not expect all-inclusive protection, however, I only use my computer for e-mail and on-line banking, so to experience the severity and amount of virus I ended up with does not bode well to a secure e-mail / internet environment.  I could see if I was a music, movie or itunes, limewire downloader, but I am just your daily e-mail user.  Nothing elaborate or special.  But again, thank you for the information and your time.  I appreciate your response and answer.

Toni

Message 6 of 17 (11,180 Views)

Thank you very much!!!!  I have no idea what bloatware is but I will take everyone's advice and get a better AV program.  Appreciate everyone's feedback.

Message 7 of 17 (11,180 Views)
ACE - Expert

(blōt´wãr) (n.) jargon Software that has lots of features and requires considerable disk space and RAM. As the cost of RAM and disk storage has decreased, there has been a growing trend among software developers to disregard the size of applications. Some people refer to this trend as creeping featuritis. If creeping featuritis is the symptom, bloatware is the disease.

From Webopedia :smileywink:

Chris

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 8 of 17 (11,180 Views)
Scholar

Erazoner,

On another computer or friends computer download malwarebytes from

http://www.malwarebytes.org/

Put it on a flash drive or CD and then install it an run it on your PC, it should clean up and remove your trojans and adware.

You may want to consider purchasing it after it has fixed your PC it will catch many things that other programs don't.

Once you have your PC back get Spybot search and destroy from

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/home/index.html

and let it run also

Both of these are free and very good.

Both have forums that offer free help to solve problems with infected computers

I am sure that malwarebytes will get you back to normal in a few hours.

A- 

Message 9 of 17 (11,180 Views)
Guru

Alan, I am not the OP with the problem. However, your suggestions are good, and I second them.
Message 10 of 17 (11,180 Views)
Scholar

must have done a page up to look for the name instead of home

hopefully he sees it

A-

Message 11 of 17 (6,432 Views)
ACE - Expert

survivor621 wrote:
Chris Thank you for the information.  I hear also that many folks prefer Firefox vs. Internet Explorer as a more secure browser...  any thoughts on that?

Both are not really secure as they have exploits against them that have not been fixed, but in general

internet use I always use FireFox and keep it updated when it tells me there is a new version.  They

now have 3.6 as the regular download version and users should upgrade as many exploits are fixed

on each newer version.   The main thing that keeps my computer safe is the MVPS org hosts file I've

been using many years.

http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

A  routine to toggle the hosts file off/on again when trying to get to 'sponsored sites' in searchs:

http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hostsfaq.htm#Rename  :smileywink:

Chris

Message 12 of 17 (6,432 Views)
Contributor

Why do you use Macfee?? I used it too and it was awful for me. I didn't helped me at all. Now I use KAspersky and it is great. Here is the version 7:

http://www.trustdownload.com/Antivirus-and-Spyware-Cleaners/Antivirus/Kaspersky-Internet-Security-7....

Message 13 of 17 (6,432 Views)
Contributor

hi.I am using Norton antivirus too but i had no problems with it.Norton antivirus is in the 9 place on top ten best antiviruses http://www.best-antivirus.co/ and all my friends which are using it are sattisfied

good luck

Message 14 of 17 (6,432 Views)

Microsoft Security Essentials is what I've been using for over a year now and have no issues what so ever.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway
Message 15 of 17 (6,432 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.