AT&T Block Port 80? Firewall help!

Guru

AT&T Block Port 80? Firewall help!

Does AT&T block port 80 for inbound traffic?  I have an HAI Omni IIe ... I am trying to setup Web-Link II software for remote access using my home desktop as a server and am having problems getting access remotely.  I have dynamic IP updating using dyndns.  I have tried opening up the appropriate ports on the R/G firewall and have checked those ports on the windows software firewall too.

I think I just need ports 80 (http) and possibly 8080 (video) open ... internally my HAI Omni IIe communicates locally to the server on port 4369 but I dont think the firewall needs that opened up as I can access the Web-Link II software and system locally on the server computer.  I have installed IIS and and running WinXP Pro SP2.

Also, do I want TCP or UDP when I am opening ports on the R/G??  I got my Slingbox figured out no problem with the firewall, but this has stumped me, and it should be as easy as setting up a simple webpage.  Can anyone help me figure this out?  Help!  Oh also, AT&T has been blocking all emails from DynDns.com for account verification so I had to sign up with a different email address ... how weird is that?!
Message 1 of 13 (11,012 Views)
Professor

Re: AT&T Block Port 80? Firewall help!

I have several different websites hosted on different ports outside of the 'normal' range, but I don't think I have ever tried any of them on port 80 for security reasons :smileywink:
Message 2 of 13 (11,011 Views)
Expert

I had a similar problem setting up hardware after I got u-verse.  I called tier 2 ts and they helped me get everything set up. 

Eyedox wrote:
Does AT&T block port 80 for inbound traffic?  I have an HAI Omni IIe ... I am trying to setup Web-Link II software for remote access using my home desktop as a server and am having problems getting access remotely.  I have dynamic IP updating using dyndns.  I have tried opening up the appropriate ports on the R/G firewall and have checked those ports on the windows software firewall too.

I think I just need ports 80 (http) and possibly 8080 (video) open ... internally my HAI Omni IIe communicates locally to the server on port 4369 but I dont think the firewall needs that opened up as I can access the Web-Link II software and system locally on the server computer.  I have installed IIS and and running WinXP Pro SP2.

Also, do I want TCP or UDP when I am opening ports on the R/G??  I got my Slingbox figured out no problem with the firewall, but this has stumped me, and it should be as easy as setting up a simple webpage.  Can anyone help me figure this out?  Help!  Oh also, AT&T has been blocking all emails from DynDns.com for account verification so I had to sign up with a different email address ... how weird is that?!

Message 3 of 13 (11,011 Views)
Guru

I will try Tier 2 help but does AT&T block Port 80?  If I knew that I could change port #'s if they do, and if they don't I will better know if it's just a firewall configuration problem.
Message 4 of 13 (11,011 Views)
Scholar

AFAIK they do not block port 80.  They do port 25 but you can get that unblocked and few other ports more for virus purposes.

On DSLReports you can find the list that says what ports are blocked.
Message 5 of 13 (11,011 Views)
Contributor

Could you tell us what steps you took to have that correct? What is Tier 2 (Customer Service)? Is there a 1800 #?
Message 6 of 13 (11,011 Views)
Professor

1-800-228-2020, and ask for UVerse Technical Support.  Once you get someone and tell them your problem they should transfer you to Tier 2. 
Message 7 of 13 (11,011 Views)
Expert

800.983-2811 if you don't want the voice recognition system.
Message 8 of 13 (11,011 Views)
Contributor

I'm currently having a problem with this port, It worked a couple days ago, but now it cant get through. It's forwarded and the other ports that are forwarded to that computer work, so I'm wondering if maybe at&t blocks it now?
Message 9 of 13 (11,011 Views)
Contributor

AT&T has recently started blocking all major ports for servers.

I had been running successfully a web server on port 80, and SSH on port 22.

Port 25 has always been blocked as far as I can tell.

My router is configured properly as it was before, but one day all of my servers stopped working when accessed from outside the local network.

I checked things out using an online port scanner and ports 80 and 22 are not accessible.

I double-checked this by changing the ports that my servers operate on to a non-standard port like 762 or 777.

After changing my configuration to use a non-standard port, everything works fine when attempting to connect from outside the local network

This means that AT&T has recently started blocking all of the major server ports for telnet,ssh,and web servers.

Message 10 of 13 (10,784 Views)
Expert

I am running the uverserealtime.com web site at home on port 80 and it is running fine.

Port 25 inbound is not blocked, only port 25 outbound is blocks by default and they will remove that block if you request it.

Check your configuration, I don't think AT&T is blocking anything that they weren't blocking before.

Message 11 of 13 (9,324 Views)
Contributor

Upon closer inspection, I found that even though my FIREWALL showed that the ports were open, after reconfiguring the firewall from scratch, ports 80 and 22 are working again.  I suppose that something must have changed during an update as I never modified the firewall betweent he time the servers worked and the time the servers failed to work.

Sorry for the previous post.  I was mistaken.

Message 12 of 13 (9,306 Views)
Scholar

While BIOS / Firmware updates are not supposed to change settings, I would assume that on occasion, they might mess up complicated or non-standard configurations.

Just yesterday, I decided it was time to reboot my gear.  And I found that my RG had been up only 15 days ... so clearly AT&T is uploading new images and the such semi-frequently.  In my case, my gear behind my RG hadn't been rebooted in 72+ days, but like I said, I guess I got a new RG image in the past several weeks.

But direct to this post - My understanding (and personal experience) is that AT&T only blocks port 25 outbound to prevent SPAM.  However, the RG necessarily squats on some ports for VOIP / SIP, that in some cases will cause issues for people trying to run VOIP/SIP gateways behind the RG.  While there clearly could be other ports that have similar conflicts, I am not personally aware of a list of them ... if someone reading these threads is building a list ...  bit would be a great addition to the community (hint hint).

Message 13 of 13 (9,267 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.