50%+ DVR recording disappeared over night... literally.

Contributor

50%+ DVR recording disappeared over night... literally.

just spent one hour talking with customer service for uverse. my option was to press and hold the power button, then press it again. i was told this has a possibility of losing everything... there is also a possibility i could get everything back. this possibility is not a road i want to venture down...

there was no offer for technical assistance, or for a technician to come and check the equipment, or an offer to replace it. just an apology that it happened, and the advice... over and over and over, that i should reset it. and maybe lose everything saved. i was also told numerous times, to do exactly what i had done, and what i told the customer service rep i have NOW done, and that was to select "keep until i erase".

sunday night i recorded a movie, i had 48 recordings... monday morning i had 12. i asked for a supervisor as the customer service member didn't seem very knowledgable and seemed to be reading from trouble shooting... i can do that! the supervisor wasnt much better... in fact, she seemed so disinterested, that i actaully asked "are you interested in this problem... maybe interested in fixing it or finding out why it happened, of if it's going to happen again?". i expressed i was unhappy that i have now lost many movies and shows that i wanted, that have not yet been watched, that i have paid for and continue to pay for, and there seems to be an attitude of "thanks for letting us know... sorry that happened."

the sups response was "no...".

I asked for a manager and she hung up on me.

i got back to customer service and there was no log or account of this call on my account.

Message 1 of 11 (934 Views)
Expert

Re: 50%+ DVR recording disappeared over night... literally.

Have you had anymore issues with your dvr?  It could be in the early stages of failure.  Since you have lost most of your recordings call cs and request a tech be sent out to replace your dvr.  800.983-2811.  You can ask for a tier 2 tech instead of a supervisor.

Message 2 of 11 (934 Views)
Contributor

I'm having same problems customer service is a joke. I have spent over 5 hrs on the phone in the last 2 weeks. I also have taken 2 days off work to wait for a tech that didn't show either time. Just now I called to report the 2nd no show and I got hung up on. When I called the on the 1st no show the guy laughed at me.

Message 3 of 11 (934 Views)
Expert

Click on this link and scroll down the thread to David's info post.  Contact him and give him all of the info and the details of your problem  He or a member of his staff will be in touch with you.

http://utalk.att.com/t5/The-Lounge/my-contact-thread/td-p/142489

Message 4 of 11 (934 Views)

I have the same problem. Our DVR began deleting programs 10 at a time yesterday, Wednesday, May 12, 2010. We went from being at capacity to having only 70 hours of shows. It deleted everything that wasn't set to "keep until I delete" and will not record new shows. Actually, it claims that it is recording it, but then it immediately deletes it when the recording is done. An hour with support left me with the option to reset my DVR box to factory defaults which would definitely lose all of my remaining recordings. I did the press-power for 5 seconds thing and the press-power for 20 seconds with the box unplugged thing. The problem did not go away. My current advice is to wait a few days and see if it gets better.
Message 5 of 11 (934 Views)

I forgot to say that I had a technician out to service my RG which had been rebooting itself multiple times a day for the past two months. He replaced a bunch of coax couplings that were very old and replaced my RG. The support person theorized that the DVR box didn't take the "update" from the new RG and got corrupted somehow.
Message 6 of 11 (934 Views)
ACE - Master

Coax feeds and the associated hardware (splitters, diplexors and so on) are very critical to U-Verse, especially on coax systems.  I have had mountains of DVR issues where programs wouldn't play on the DVR but they would play on a non-DVR box.  Once the coax "hardware" was replaced, I was good.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 7 of 11 (934 Views)

The technician who came out replaced much of our coax, but not the specific coax cables running to the box with the DVR.  His tester shows that the remaining connectors were okay.

Also, the shows that are disappearing don't show up via the online DVR access either.  The shows are just gone.

And I can't record new shows.

Message 8 of 11 (934 Views)
Contributor

We are experiencing the same problems with our DVR, also have placed several calls to customer service and with the same result of most of our recordings disappeared.  Now our DVR has limited capacity, last night when we went to bed we had over 15 recordings by morning they were all gone.  Again we reset the DVR as ATT instructed, we figured we have already lost over 75 recordings (if you count all the other times), how much more can we lose.  We were not surprised when we did not recover any of them.  Not only did we not recover the movies, it seems like every time we reset the DVR it seemed to have reduced it's capacity. 

What is the best way to tell customer service we will not accept the quick fixes anymore and want our DVR replaced without someone hanging up on us when we display a little frustration??

Message 9 of 11 (934 Views)
ACE - Master

Hanging up on you?  I have heard of this happening a time or two over the last month but this is just plain odd.  As a suggestion - get the names and ID of each person that you talk too.  If someone hangs up on you, curses at you and so on, you have something to escalate it with.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 10 of 11 (934 Views)
Expert

dhascall wrote:

Coax feeds and the associated hardware (splitters, diplexors and so on) are very critical to U-Verse, especially on coax systems.  I have had mountains of DVR issues where programs wouldn't play on the DVR but they would play on a non-DVR box.  Once the coax "hardware" was replaced, I was good.

I have a coax installation and the only problem I have had with my install was a bad splitter.  I had a tech out here the other day and he checked to see if the run from the NID to the rg was Cat5.  He said all installs now have the run from the NID to the rg with Cat5.  Since mine was done when the tech replaced the cable when he replaced the splitter there was nothing for the tech to do.  My problem was not with my install but with lines between my home and the VRAD.

Message 11 of 11 (486 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.