Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Mar 18, 2009
7:39:27 AM
View profile
5 HD TV's can they all watch different HD programming at the same time?

This may be MOM, I searched the thread though and spoke w sales and got different answers.

I have DirecTV and Comcast. 3 HDs on Comcast, 2 on DirecTv (long story). Can i watch 5 different HD Shows on Uverse at the same time? Can i watch 5 different recorded HD shows at one time?

Thanks, this would help consolidate all my TVs into one provider.

Message Edited by bigbarney on 03-18-2009 07:40 AM

This may be MOM, I searched the thread though and spoke w sales and got different answers.

I have DirecTV and Comcast. 3 HDs on Comcast, 2 on DirecTv (long story). Can i watch 5 different HD Shows on Uverse at the same time? Can i watch 5 different recorded HD shows at one time?

5 HD TV's can they all watch different HD programming at the same time?

58 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(58)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 18, 2009 8:17:12 AM
(0)
Scholar
I only have 2 HD sets in my home and I will report that I can watch 2 HD recorded shows and I know that during that time it did record 2 HD shows at the same time so there was 4 hd shows going on at the same time. Do not know if that answers your question....
I only have 2 HD sets in my home and I will report that I can watch 2 HD recorded shows and I know that during that time it did record 2 HD shows at the same time so there was 4 hd shows going on at the same time. Do not know if that answers your question....

Re: 5 HD TV's can they all watch different HD programming at the same time?

2 of 59 (2,436 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 18, 2009 8:18:29 AM
(0)
Guru

Well I can't imagine you talking to anyone at Uverse and not getting a direct answer because it's pretty common knowledge.

Uverse can supply you with up to 2 streams of HD and 2 streams of SD (or 4 SD) at one time no matter how many boxes you have in your home.

What this means is that you can watch up to 4 shows/movies at the same time. If you have 100 boxes, only 4 can be active at one time. This also counts for recordings so if you are recording 3 things at once (less if some are in HD) then you only can watch 1 live show.

Now the confusion (correct me if I'm wrong guys) might lie in that you can all watch the same shows - IE multiple TV's can all watch the same channel and it will only count as one.

This lies in the way Uverse works. Uverse is only partial fiber to your neighborhood box. After that they use the old phone lines to get from the local box to you home which has limited bandwidth. Cable, for example, has a "much" thicker wire that can handle a ton more bandwidth and as such delivers all the channels to your home at the same time. Uverse only sends the shows you are watching (up to 4 or 2 HD) because the tiny existing phone wire cannon handle very much data.

So look at it this way....

Cable sends "all" channels to your home so you can add as many boxes as you want and watch something different on each box.

Uverse sends "all" channels to your local "neighborhood" via fiber but because they then use your existing "tiny" phone line (tiny as compared to cable) they only send you up to 4 channels to your home from the neighborhood box.

Hope this helps

Well I can't imagine you talking to anyone at Uverse and not getting a direct answer because it's pretty common knowledge.

Uverse can supply you with up to 2 streams of HD and 2 streams of SD (or 4 SD) at one time no matter how many boxes you have in your home.

What this means is that you can watch up to 4 shows/movies at the same time. If you have 100 boxes, only 4 can be active at one time. This also counts for recordings so if you are recording 3 things at once (less if some are in HD) then you only can watch 1 live show.

Now the confusion (correct me if I'm wrong guys) might lie in that you can all watch the same shows - IE multiple TV's can all watch the same channel and it will only count as one.

This lies in the way Uverse works. Uverse is only partial fiber to your neighborhood box. After that they use the old phone lines to get from the local box to you home which has limited bandwidth. Cable, for example, has a "much" thicker wire that can handle a ton more bandwidth and as such delivers all the channels to your home at the same time. Uverse only sends the shows you are watching (up to 4 or 2 HD) because the tiny existing phone wire cannon handle very much data.

Cable sends "all" channels to your home so you can add as many boxes as you want and watch something different on each box.

Uverse sends "all" channels to your local "neighborhood" via fiber but because they then use your existing "tiny" phone line (tiny as compared to cable) they only send you up to 4 channels to your home from the neighborhood box.

Hope this helps

3 of 59 (2,436 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 18, 2009 8:22:55 AM
(0)
Master

bigbarney wrote:

Technically, I believe you can watch 5 different HD shows, although, only two of them could be "live", the other three would have to be recordings from the DVR. Uverse works differently from sattelite or cable in that with Uverse you can only have four different "channels" coming into your house at any givin time, two in HD and two in SD. Also different is the fact that with Uverse, you can watch your DVR recordings on any other TV in the house that is equipped with a Uverse box, and all Uverse boxes (DVR and non-DVR) are capable of HD.

There are other threads in this forum that describe, in more detail, your actual viewing options and someone will more than likely come along and add more detail to the information I have provided here.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.

bigbarney wrote:

Technically, I believe you can watch 5 different HD shows, although, only two of them could be "live", the other three would have to be recordings from the DVR. Uverse works differently from sattelite or cable in that with Uverse you can only have four different "channels" coming into your house at any givin time, two in HD and two in SD. Also different is the fact that with Uverse, you can watch your DVR recordings on any other TV in the house that is equipped with a Uverse box, and all Uverse boxes (DVR and non-DVR) are capable of HD.

There are other threads in this forum that describe, in more detail, your actual viewing options and someone will more than likely come along and add more detail to the information I have provided here.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.

neon_sign.jpg

4 of 59 (2,436 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 18, 2009 2:54:52 PM
(0)
Teacher
Thanks all, it seemed too good to be true, 5 HD TVs watching 5 different things at the same time.
Thanks all, it seemed too good to be true, 5 HD TVs watching 5 different things at the same time.

5 of 59 (2,436 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 18, 2009 3:57:50 PM
(0)
Scholar

jrb531 wrote:

Hope this helps

You are correct you can watch the same channel on multiple TVs and it is considered one stream.... 

jrb531 wrote:

Hope this helps

You are correct you can watch the same channel on multiple TVs and it is considered one stream.... 

6 of 59 (2,436 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 18, 2009 4:33:22 PM
(0)
Teacher

Here's an AT&T link that shows viewing 5 HD programs at once: 2 live HD streams and 3 DVR HD streams: 

http://www.att.com/Common/merger/files/pdf/total_home_dvr/U-verse_THDVR.pdf

Here's an AT&T link that shows viewing 5 HD programs at once: 2 live HD streams and 3 DVR HD streams: 

http://www.att.com/Common/merger/files/pdf/total_home_dvr/U-verse_THDVR.pdf

7 of 59 (2,436 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 18, 2009 5:03:46 PM
(0)
Scholar

In summary:

2HD/2SD live streams that may have multiple viewers of the same stream content (stream is duplicated without using another stream for the same channel).

2HD/2SD DVR (recorded streams) each viewing STB/TV consumes a stream even if they are viewing the same recorded stream from the DVR.

So 8 STB's could be watching somehting different as long as no streams were in use for recording and you don't mind having 4 STB's viewing SD streams.

2HD/2SD live + 2HD/2SD DVR (recorded) + nothing recording (unless recording the same channel as one of the live), yielding a total of 8 different programs with half pre-recorded and half in SD.

For HD with unique content on each TV, you'd have two live channels and two recorded channels max. If some of the TVs would be ok viewing SD at peak times, you get some more unique content as above.

Modify this with information from the PDF link in  the previous post if the DVR can actually do 3 recorded HD streams. I have yet to sort out the comnflicting information I've heard on this. The diagram in the PDF is a pretty nice explanantion, check it out.

Message Edited by mikeyt on 03-18-2009 05:07 PM

In summary:

2HD/2SD live streams that may have multiple viewers of the same stream content (stream is duplicated without using another stream for the same channel).

2HD/2SD DVR (recorded streams) each viewing STB/TV consumes a stream even if they are viewing the same recorded stream from the DVR.

So 8 STB's could be watching somehting different as long as no streams were in use for recording and you don't mind having 4 STB's viewing SD streams.

2HD/2SD live + 2HD/2SD DVR (recorded) + nothing recording (unless recording the same channel as one of the live), yielding a total of 8 different programs with half pre-recorded and half in SD.

For HD with unique content on each TV, you'd have two live channels and two recorded channels max. If some of the TVs would be ok viewing SD at peak times, you get some more unique content as above.

Modify this with information from the PDF link in  the previous post if the DVR can actually do 3 recorded HD streams. I have yet to sort out the comnflicting information I've heard on this. The diagram in the PDF is a pretty nice explanantion, check it out.

Message Edited by mikeyt on 03-18-2009 05:07 PM

8 of 59 (2,436 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 18, 2009 5:10:19 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
You can't watch 5 live hd programs at once with Uverse.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

9 of 59 (2,436 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 18, 2009 5:23:38 PM
(0)
Scholar

DVR stream limits

You can playback up to four recorded shows at once - 3 HD and 1 SD - including the recorded show that you are watching on the DVR receiver.

If the DVR receiver is watching a live program, you can only playback up to 3 recorded shows on other TVs - 2 HD and 1 SD.

For more information on the AT&T U-verse Total Home DVR (now available in some markets), please visit http://helpme.att.net/thdvr!

Ahh... and there are multiple links to this same pdf, including from AT&T's U-verse support site, so it appears to be current and accurate: AT&T U-verseSM Total Home DVR Live and Recorded Streams

Note that this pdf shows the record capacity times but doesn't list the capacity for the new 250GB and 320GB DVRs given to some HD subscribers at install time on an as available basis.

I presume that any unused DVR HD streams could be SD, so the DVR can also do 2HD/2SD as I've seen elsewhere, 1HD/3SD or 0HD/4SD.

DVR stream limits

You can playback up to four recorded shows at once - 3 HD and 1 SD - including the recorded show that you are watching on the DVR receiver.

If the DVR receiver is watching a live program, you can only playback up to 3 recorded shows on other TVs - 2 HD and 1 SD.

For more information on the AT&T U-verse Total Home DVR (now available in some markets), please visit http://helpme.att.net/thdvr!

Ahh... and there are multiple links to this same pdf, including from AT&T's U-verse support site, so it appears to be current and accurate: AT&T U-verseSM Total Home DVR Live and Recorded Streams

Note that this pdf shows the record capacity times but doesn't list the capacity for the new 250GB and 320GB DVRs given to some HD subscribers at install time on an as available basis.

I presume that any unused DVR HD streams could be SD, so the DVR can also do 2HD/2SD as I've seen elsewhere, 1HD/3SD or 0HD/4SD.

10 of 59 (2,436 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 18, 2009 5:26:51 PM
(0)
Scholar

RCSMG wrote:

You can watch 2 unique live HD and 3 recorded HD at the same time. (A live HD stream can be duplicated for watcing on as any TVs as you want and still count as a single live HD stream.)

RCSMG wrote:

You can watch 2 unique live HD and 3 recorded HD at the same time. (A live HD stream can be duplicated for watcing on as any TVs as you want and still count as a single live HD stream.)

11 of 59 (1,893 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 18, 2009 5:58:36 PM
(0)
Teacher

Thanks, so we can have the girls all watch American Idol at the same time in separate rooms ;-)

So I now understand the limitations, really only 2 different live HD feeds. I wonder if this is going to change anytime soon.

Thanks, so we can have the girls all watch American Idol at the same time in separate rooms ;-)

So I now understand the limitations, really only 2 different live HD feeds. I wonder if this is going to change anytime soon.

12 of 59 (1,893 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 18, 2009 6:24:06 PM
(0)
Scholar

Eventually they will add more HD streams. There are rumours of 3 live HD streams in the works for people within 2200 feet of the VRAD. Time will tell. UvClass 11 - 3 HD at 2200 feet in the near? future.

Within two years, I'd expect to see 3+ live HD streams at any distance up to 3400 feet. They might decide to charge extra for that if they use Pair Bonding or other technology that adds significant cost to deliver 3+ live HD at the maximum distance.

Eventually they will add more HD streams. There are rumours of 3 live HD streams in the works for people within 2200 feet of the VRAD. Time will tell. UvClass 11 - 3 HD at 2200 feet in the near? future.

Within two years, I'd expect to see 3+ live HD streams at any distance up to 3400 feet. They might decide to charge extra for that if they use Pair Bonding or other technology that adds significant cost to deliver 3+ live HD at the maximum distance.

13 of 59 (1,893 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 18, 2009 6:39:07 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

bigbarney wrote:

That is what I was saying.  I know there are a few ways to jump through some other hoops but basically the answer to what you asked is no.

bigbarney wrote:

That is what I was saying.  I know there are a few ways to jump through some other hoops but basically the answer to what you asked is no.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

14 of 59 (1,893 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 19, 2009 6:38:35 AM
(0)
Teacher
Too bad, I was hoping this would be a replacement option for my Directv and comcast. 2 HD live streams, (even 3) is really low.
Too bad, I was hoping this would be a replacement option for my Directv and comcast. 2 HD live streams, (even 3) is really low.

15 of 59 (1,893 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 19, 2009 10:59:13 PM
(0)
Scholar

Find all the feedback avenues you can to AT&T and tell them you need at least 3 HD streams preferrably 4 or 5. And with better picture quality than they have now.

Call them up and order U-verse, then cancel at the last step after asking about HD streams and tell them that's not enough. Publicly AT&T says they have enough bandwidth and that more than 2 HD streams is not impeding sales. Well, you should stand up and be counted. AT&T is very good at repeatedly denying their shortcomings and outright dismissing anyone who needs more than their severely bandwidth limited options compared to the needs of advanced users, emerging needs of normal users and their competition. Hopefully, they'll start listening and delivering more improvements to U-verse faster and start overcoming the bandwidth limitations of U-verse.

Find all the feedback avenues you can to AT&T and tell them you need at least 3 HD streams preferrably 4 or 5. And with better picture quality than they have now.

Call them up and order U-verse, then cancel at the last step after asking about HD streams and tell them that's not enough. Publicly AT&T says they have enough bandwidth and that more than 2 HD streams is not impeding sales. Well, you should stand up and be counted. AT&T is very good at repeatedly denying their shortcomings and outright dismissing anyone who needs more than their severely bandwidth limited options compared to the needs of advanced users, emerging needs of normal users and their competition. Hopefully, they'll start listening and delivering more improvements to U-verse faster and start overcoming the bandwidth limitations of U-verse.

16 of 59 (1,893 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 19, 2009 11:04:47 PM
(0)
Scholar

If you need some enetertainment, you can alwyas get into the live chat sessions with the reps, start an order, then ask about hd streams and cancle the order when they tell you it's only two. I don't where AT&T actually collects it's data from since I think they are in denial about emerging HD etc. - especially when you use the DVR to record two HD shows airing at the same time while needing to watch a couple live HD streams on your TVs - but I think they do get some of it from their sales / order people.

Though  the best strategy might be the 30 day trial and then cancel at the end of thirty days giving not enough HD streams as your reason for cancellation. After investing the money to install you, AT&T might take your reason for cancellation more seriously than they do if you just email it to them or cancel before completing the order.

If you need some enetertainment, you can alwyas get into the live chat sessions with the reps, start an order, then ask about hd streams and cancle the order when they tell you it's only two. I don't where AT&T actually collects it's data from since I think they are in denial about emerging HD etc. - especially when you use the DVR to record two HD shows airing at the same time while needing to watch a couple live HD streams on your TVs - but I think they do get some of it from their sales / order people.

Though  the best strategy might be the 30 day trial and then cancel at the end of thirty days giving not enough HD streams as your reason for cancellation. After investing the money to install you, AT&T might take your reason for cancellation more seriously than they do if you just email it to them or cancel before completing the order.

17 of 59 (1,893 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 20, 2009 8:03:46 AM
(0)
Guru

To be fair, Uverse is a bit cheaper than Cable and Dish. As long as they remain "cheap" then many people will accept this compromise but if they creep up the price to be near the big boys they will start losing customers fast.

They are messing up big time on their VOD service. Their free VOD sucks as compared to Comcast and while Dish may not have VOD, it matters little to people with HD because they refuse to put up their movies in HD - the free movie package VOD.

VOD is what impressed me the most moving from Dish to Uverse but when I found out that all the movies where in SD and most in "pan and Scan" clipped mode... well I stopped watching and had to record the movies in HD. What a waste!

To be fair, Uverse is a bit cheaper than Cable and Dish. As long as they remain "cheap" then many people will accept this compromise but if they creep up the price to be near the big boys they will start losing customers fast.

They are messing up big time on their VOD service. Their free VOD sucks as compared to Comcast and while Dish may not have VOD, it matters little to people with HD because they refuse to put up their movies in HD - the free movie package VOD.

VOD is what impressed me the most moving from Dish to Uverse but when I found out that all the movies where in SD and most in "pan and Scan" clipped mode... well I stopped watching and had to record the movies in HD. What a waste!

18 of 59 (1,893 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 20, 2009 10:31:55 AM
(0)
Scholar

U-verse is the low cost provider until you get into the higher speed Internet tiers. The least expensive AT&T U-verse tier is a bargain for basic acces but not in temrs of $/Mbps, the 18/1.5 is just a joke compared to the competition, especially since it drops to around 12/1.5 if you're using 2 HD streams:

AT&T     Usage cap: Trial caps starting in Reno.

U-verse Express  1.5/1     $25.00     (cap: 40GB,   $1/GB over)

U-verse Pro           3/1      $30.00     (cap: 60GB,   $1/GB over)

U-verse Elite         6/1      $35.00     (cap: 80GB,   $1/GB over)

U-verse Max        10/1.5   $55.00     (cap: 150GB,  $1/GB over; $30.00 in areas with faster competition.)

U-verse Max 18   18/1.5    $65.00    (cap: 150GB,  $1/GB over; 11-18Mbps depending on TV streams)

Comcast     Usage cap: 250GB; DOCSIS 3.0: 100% of markets by end 2010.

Performance   12/2      $42.95 (PowerBoost: 15/3)

Blast!             16/2      $52.95 (PowerBoost: 20/4)

Ultra               22/       $65.95 (PowerBoost: 30/same, includes $3/mo modem)

Extreme 50    50/10   $142.95 (PowerBoost: none, includes $3/mo modem)

Various fiber projects, especially community fiber deliver even faster speeds at lower cost. Too bad for us that Comcast and AT&T lobby deceptively against these projects to keep their stranglehold of higher prices, less reliable service and limited speeds on our Intnernet access.

LUS Fiber     Usage cap: none. Lafayette, Louisiana community fiber

Fast         10/10    $28.95  

Turbo       30/30     $44.95  

Extreme   50/50     $57.95  

Message Edited by mikeyt on 03-20-2009 10:38 AM

U-verse is the low cost provider until you get into the higher speed Internet tiers. The least expensive AT&T U-verse tier is a bargain for basic acces but not in temrs of $/Mbps, the 18/1.5 is just a joke compared to the competition, especially since it drops to around 12/1.5 if you're using 2 HD streams:

U-verse Express  1.5/1     $25.00     (cap: 40GB,   $1/GB over)

U-verse Max        10/1.5   $55.00     (cap: 150GB,  $1/GB over; $30.00 in areas with faster competition.)

U-verse Max 18   18/1.5    $65.00    (cap: 150GB,  $1/GB over; 11-18Mbps depending on TV streams)

Blast!             16/2      $52.95 (PowerBoost: 20/4)

Ultra               22/       $65.95 (PowerBoost: 30/same, includes $3/mo modem)

Various fiber projects, especially community fiber deliver even faster speeds at lower cost. Too bad for us that Comcast and AT&T lobby deceptively against these projects to keep their stranglehold of higher prices, less reliable service and limited speeds on our Intnernet access.

Message Edited by mikeyt on 03-20-2009 10:38 AM

19 of 59 (1,893 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 20, 2009 12:47:57 PM
(0)
Guru
I agree that their 10/1.5 and 18/1.5 is way overpriced but I feel that their 6/1 at $35 is fair.
I agree that their 10/1.5 and 18/1.5 is way overpriced but I feel that their 6/1 at $35 is fair.

20 of 59 (1,893 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 20, 2009 8:11:31 PM
(0)
Scholar

It's (6/1) not too bad, especially if you want an offering with a lower absoulate cost than the other providers. But the cost in $/Mbps isn't good comared to other providers, especially on the upload side. And if absolute cost is the criteria though, you might as well drop down to 3/1 which is not too slow for casual to moderate use and SD video streaming and saves you another $5/mos.

For speed, in $/Mbps, particualrly on upload, the Comcast 22/5 at $65.95 is the same cost as U-verse 18/1.5 but you get over 3 times the upload bandwidth. If you're on a lightly loaded cable node, it can outperform U-verse at all times of day, regardless of the number of HD streams used. If the cable node is overloaded, complain to Comcast, they might fix it. If they don't, and you value the speed, especially the faster upload, then you might as well go to U-verse 10/1.5. It's all about what's avavilable to your home, how well it actually performs, how reliable it is and your budget needs.

Both providers are a joke compared to what community fiber projects deliver. They could economically deliver us faster and more reliable services for the same or less money. They are organizations run for profit and what they charge is their choice. How I react to it is my choice. :smileyhappy:

It's (6/1) not too bad, especially if you want an offering with a lower absoulate cost than the other providers. But the cost in $/Mbps isn't good comared to other providers, especially on the upload side. And if absolute cost is the criteria though, you might as well drop down to 3/1 which is not too slow for casual to moderate use and SD video streaming and saves you another $5/mos.

For speed, in $/Mbps, particualrly on upload, the Comcast 22/5 at $65.95 is the same cost as U-verse 18/1.5 but you get over 3 times the upload bandwidth. If you're on a lightly loaded cable node, it can outperform U-verse at all times of day, regardless of the number of HD streams used. If the cable node is overloaded, complain to Comcast, they might fix it. If they don't, and you value the speed, especially the faster upload, then you might as well go to U-verse 10/1.5. It's all about what's avavilable to your home, how well it actually performs, how reliable it is and your budget needs.

Both providers are a joke compared to what community fiber projects deliver. They could economically deliver us faster and more reliable services for the same or less money. They are organizations run for profit and what they charge is their choice. How I react to it is my choice. :smileyhappy:

21 of 59 (2,478 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 20, 2009 8:15:16 PM
(0)
Scholar

Drat! - this is just my previous post with the upload speed for Comcast's 22/5 Mbps service added. It was accidentally deleted from my orginal post during formatting. OOoooopps!

U-verse Express  1.5/1    $25.00     (cap: 40GB,   $1/GB over)

U-verse Max 18   18/1.5   $65.00    (cap: 150GB,  $1/GB over; 11-18Mbps depending on TV streams)

Blast!               16/2      $52.95 (PowerBoost: 20/4)

Ultra                 22/5      $65.95 (PowerBoost: 30/same, includes $3/mo modem)

Drat! - this is just my previous post with the upload speed for Comcast's 22/5 Mbps service added. It was accidentally deleted from my orginal post during formatting. OOoooopps!

U-verse Express  1.5/1    $25.00     (cap: 40GB,   $1/GB over)

U-verse Max 18   18/1.5   $65.00    (cap: 150GB,  $1/GB over; 11-18Mbps depending on TV streams)

Blast!               16/2      $52.95 (PowerBoost: 20/4)

Ultra                 22/5      $65.95 (PowerBoost: 30/same, includes $3/mo modem)

22 of 59 (2,478 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 21, 2009 8:30:44 AM
(0)
Guru

The problem with Comcast is that they do not offer speeds for the average user. They do offer some silly unadvertized very low speed but this is a joke. They know full well that they vast majority of people do not even need 6/1 but they make everyone pay for the faster speeds. Where is Comcast's 1/5 or 3.0 speed for $25 or $30ish??? They offer that silly 768 speed for $20 and then the next speed jumps to 12! So Comcast thinks that it's ok to only offer .77 or 12?

As I said before... at higher speeds (and assuming and this is a BIG assumption with Comcast) Uverse is a rip as compared to Comcast but you have to keep Comcast's overall price in mind. You cannot get that price unless you subscribe to Comcast's TV service and their TV service is way way overpriced as compared to Uverse.

I agree.... high speed Uverse vs high speed Comcast.... Comcast is the clear winner for price.

but when you factor in a decent Pay TV package that is required to get those prices and then Comcast is not so cheap.

How about listing the chart with prices for internet only and not promo prices?

How about listing the chart with Pay TV included - mid range package for each?

As everyone will tell you... I'm not a Uverse fanboy here :smileyhappy: but fair is fair and cherry picking only select portions of a service is a bit unfair.

If I could get those prices for Comcast for internet only (add rental for Comcast to the price) and keep the TV portion of Uverse then I would but alas the price Comcast charges for internet only (non-promo) is quite a bit higher. As far as just going with Comcast for everything... well at least in Chicago the prices Comcast charges after the promo period as silly expensive so I'll deal with "only" 6/1 for $35 from AT&T until they get their act together and reduce those silly 10/1.5 and 18/1.5 prices. Unless you download all the time, those speeds are seldom used anyway.

BTW... until caps are "officially" put in place they have no business being listed in your chart for any provider IMHO.

Message Edited by jrb531 on 03-21-2009 08:34 AM
Message Edited by jrb531 on 03-21-2009 08:36 AM

The problem with Comcast is that they do not offer speeds for the average user. They do offer some silly unadvertized very low speed but this is a joke. They know full well that they vast majority of people do not even need 6/1 but they make everyone pay for the faster speeds. Where is Comcast's 1/5 or 3.0 speed for $25 or $30ish??? They offer that silly 768 speed for $20 and then the next speed jumps to 12! So Comcast thinks that it's ok to only offer .77 or 12?

As I said before... at higher speeds (and assuming and this is a BIG assumption with Comcast) Uverse is a rip as compared to Comcast but you have to keep Comcast's overall price in mind. You cannot get that price unless you subscribe to Comcast's TV service and their TV service is way way overpriced as compared to Uverse.

I agree.... high speed Uverse vs high speed Comcast.... Comcast is the clear winner for price.

but when you factor in a decent Pay TV package that is required to get those prices and then Comcast is not so cheap.

As everyone will tell you... I'm not a Uverse fanboy here :smileyhappy: but fair is fair and cherry picking only select portions of a service is a bit unfair.

If I could get those prices for Comcast for internet only (add rental for Comcast to the price) and keep the TV portion of Uverse then I would but alas the price Comcast charges for internet only (non-promo) is quite a bit higher. As far as just going with Comcast for everything... well at least in Chicago the prices Comcast charges after the promo period as silly expensive so I'll deal with "only" 6/1 for $35 from AT&T until they get their act together and reduce those silly 10/1.5 and 18/1.5 prices. Unless you download all the time, those speeds are seldom used anyway.

BTW... until caps are "officially" put in place they have no business being listed in your chart for any provider IMHO.

Message Edited by jrb531 on 03-21-2009 08:34 AM
Message Edited by jrb531 on 03-21-2009 08:36 AM

23 of 59 (2,478 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 21, 2009 10:30:42 AM
(0)
Teacher

I don't know how this migrated to a Comcast vs. Uverse Internet thread, I have Comcast already, and can watch 5 different HD shows on 5 HD TVs, but w DVRs its about $100 per month plus programming. 

Comcast reliability isn't the greatest here, so I would not use them for my Internet.

As usual, there is no free lunch.

Message Edited by bigbarney on 03-21-2009 10:31 AM

I don't know how this migrated to a Comcast vs. Uverse Internet thread, I have Comcast already, and can watch 5 different HD shows on 5 HD TVs, but w DVRs its about $100 per month plus programming. 

Comcast reliability isn't the greatest here, so I would not use them for my Internet.

24 of 59 (2,478 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 21, 2009 10:34:08 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

bigbarney wrote:

People have a tendency to leave out this info while they are comparing services.  The thread shouldn't have turned into  this seeing that it is now off topic.  And if they want to have those services Comcast will be more than happy to take their money and give them each and every service they are willing to pay for.

bigbarney wrote:

People have a tendency to leave out this info while they are comparing services.  The thread shouldn't have turned into  this seeing that it is now off topic.  And if they want to have those services Comcast will be more than happy to take their money and give them each and every service they are willing to pay for.

25 of 59 (2,478 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 21, 2009 3:40:04 PM
(0)
Scholar

jrb531 wrote:

I'm not using Comcast's introductory triple play pricing, though some have kept those rates by calling Comcast each time and negotiating that rate. The rates are simply the bundled rate for Internet service, assuming you have TV or another qualifying service with that provider. U-verse used to have a $10 bundle discount, I had that in my pricing until they took it away. The Comcast rates can be vary favorable if you're lucky and negotiate with them. I believe some people have nedotiated the 22/5 Mbps for $50/mo, unbundled!!

The full comparison I maintain which is based on the long term bundled prices does show what the Comcast bundle discounts are, I didn't put that here to keep it short. Also, I haven't found an easy to do tables on this site which makes posting all the information more difficult. If you know how do tables on Utalk, please show me the link or let me know how. I would go to the original post and add that bundled pricing is shown, but this site doesn't allow editing of posts after some time period, so I can't do that. It would be done if I could.You are certainly free to compile your own comparison based on the pricing assumptions you'd like to use.

I don't switch providers every year, I tend to have them for 5 or 10 years. So if AT&T makes a statement that they will not implement caps, I'll remove the AT&T caps. Until that time, I keep it in my post beccause AT&T seems highly likely to implement caps and has rolled them out to 2 markets now. If I'm going to be with them for 5 years, and I expect caps are coming within 2 or so, it definitely goes in the analysis. I also provided the link to the cap information so anyone reading the post can investigate for themselves and draw their own conclusions as appropriate to their needs. If AT&T U-verse does no like people using the caps in thier analysis, then AT&T should remove the caps from the 2 markets they've already rolled them out to and make a statement like Verizon and other fiber providers that they don't see the need and aren't implementing caps.

Message Edited by mikeyt on 03-21-2009 03:44 PM

jrb531 wrote:

I'm not using Comcast's introductory triple play pricing, though some have kept those rates by calling Comcast each time and negotiating that rate. The rates are simply the bundled rate for Internet service, assuming you have TV or another qualifying service with that provider. U-verse used to have a $10 bundle discount, I had that in my pricing until they took it away. The Comcast rates can be vary favorable if you're lucky and negotiate with them. I believe some people have nedotiated the 22/5 Mbps for $50/mo, unbundled!!

The full comparison I maintain which is based on the long term bundled prices does show what the Comcast bundle discounts are, I didn't put that here to keep it short. Also, I haven't found an easy to do tables on this site which makes posting all the information more difficult. If you know how do tables on Utalk, please show me the link or let me know how. I would go to the original post and add that bundled pricing is shown, but this site doesn't allow editing of posts after some time period, so I can't do that. It would be done if I could.You are certainly free to compile your own comparison based on the pricing assumptions you'd like to use.

I don't switch providers every year, I tend to have them for 5 or 10 years. So if AT&T makes a statement that they will not implement caps, I'll remove the AT&T caps. Until that time, I keep it in my post beccause AT&T seems highly likely to implement caps and has rolled them out to 2 markets now. If I'm going to be with them for 5 years, and I expect caps are coming within 2 or so, it definitely goes in the analysis. I also provided the link to the cap information so anyone reading the post can investigate for themselves and draw their own conclusions as appropriate to their needs. If AT&T U-verse does no like people using the caps in thier analysis, then AT&T should remove the caps from the 2 markets they've already rolled them out to and make a statement like Verizon and other fiber providers that they don't see the need and aren't implementing caps.

Message Edited by mikeyt on 03-21-2009 03:44 PM

26 of 59 (2,478 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 24, 2009 7:01:06 AM
(0)
Tutor
I just talked with Uverse and they said that they provide 4 total streams and each HD program counts as 2.  Therefore, if you're recording one HD program and watching another one on the same TV, then no other TV will be able to watch an SD program.  This actually happened to me last night.  I had 2 HD programs recording.  Another family member tried to watch SD on a second TV and was unable to. 
I just talked with Uverse and they said that they provide 4 total streams and each HD program counts as 2.  Therefore, if you're recording one HD program and watching another one on the same TV, then no other TV will be able to watch an SD program.  This actually happened to me last night.  I had 2 HD programs recording.  Another family member tried to watch SD on a second TV and was unable to. 

27 of 59 (2,478 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 24, 2009 8:00:02 AM
(0)
Guru

mikeyt wrote:

But your chart shows that you can get twice the speed with Comcast at "about" the same cost as Uverse ($5ish more) and this is simply not true. It's not true because you cannot get that $40ish 12mps service from Comcast unless you pay for their overpriced Pay TV service. This is my point. If you want to be 100% fair you have to do one fo two things:

1. Show the cost of each service with a like-mid range Pay TV service (because the Uverse Pay TV service is alot cheaper than Comcast)

2. Show the cost of each service without subscribing to any other service - IE call up Uverse and Concast and ask for "internet only" service - non-intro prices of course

Now if you were to do this then the chart would be fair.

Now about CAPS...

Comcast already has caps. They are here and real and while they are pretty high they are still official for "everyone"

Uverse is "testing" caps in one area. There has been no announcment about expanding them and even if we agree that caps are in Uverse's future... how can you add the caps that are being tested in one area of the country and asume that these will be moved to everyone and that those same numbers will hold?

It's almost like you are doing everything in your power to make Uverse look bad. Believe me... Uverse is NOT perfect and they have enough "real" issues to deal with without making up new ones :smileyhappy:

I find it pretty funny how "some" of the same people who thought Comcast's internet was lighting fast 2 years ago at 6mps can now not live with anything under 20mps :smileyhappy: Yes the higher speed Uverse internet speeds are vastly overpriced considering most people seldom use that speed but the 6/1mps service at $35 is very fair and is rock solid reliable. Can you say that for Comcasts speeds 24/7 in all areas?

I did not want this to turn into a Comcast vs Uverse debate and I'm not a Uverse fanboy but fair is fair and you cannot cherry pick only select aspects of a total package and pit it against a weaker part of another.

If $$$ is no object (for overall package) and you happen to live in an area that has not been oversold by Comcast and you need some insane internet speed (over 6mps which 95% - wild guess - do not need) then by all means Comcast is your company.

mikeyt wrote:

But your chart shows that you can get twice the speed with Comcast at "about" the same cost as Uverse ($5ish more) and this is simply not true. It's not true because you cannot get that $40ish 12mps service from Comcast unless you pay for their overpriced Pay TV service. This is my point. If you want to be 100% fair you have to do one fo two things:

1. Show the cost of each service with a like-mid range Pay TV service (because the Uverse Pay TV service is alot cheaper than Comcast)

2. Show the cost of each service without subscribing to any other service - IE call up Uverse and Concast and ask for "internet only" service - non-intro prices of course

Now if you were to do this then the chart would be fair.

Now about CAPS...

Comcast already has caps. They are here and real and while they are pretty high they are still official for "everyone"

Uverse is "testing" caps in one area. There has been no announcment about expanding them and even if we agree that caps are in Uverse's future... how can you add the caps that are being tested in one area of the country and asume that these will be moved to everyone and that those same numbers will hold?

It's almost like you are doing everything in your power to make Uverse look bad. Believe me... Uverse is NOT perfect and they have enough "real" issues to deal with without making up new ones :smileyhappy:

I find it pretty funny how "some" of the same people who thought Comcast's internet was lighting fast 2 years ago at 6mps can now not live with anything under 20mps :smileyhappy: Yes the higher speed Uverse internet speeds are vastly overpriced considering most people seldom use that speed but the 6/1mps service at $35 is very fair and is rock solid reliable. Can you say that for Comcasts speeds 24/7 in all areas?

I did not want this to turn into a Comcast vs Uverse debate and I'm not a Uverse fanboy but fair is fair and you cannot cherry pick only select aspects of a total package and pit it against a weaker part of another.

If $$$ is no object (for overall package) and you happen to live in an area that has not been oversold by Comcast and you need some insane internet speed (over 6mps which 95% - wild guess - do not need) then by all means Comcast is your company.

28 of 59 (2,478 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 24, 2009 9:05:56 AM
(0)
Expert

crimscrem wrote:

Unfortunately, the U-Verse representative misinformed you.  It is also unfortunate that this is not at all unusual.  Most of the U-Verse phone representatives could not find an HD stream with both hands.

HD programs do not "count as 2".  There is simply a different simultaneous limit.

I took the liberty of making a small chart that shows the valid stream limitations for live programs, for someone who has the 2HD/2SD (25.2 Mbps) profile:

Here is also an explanation of all the stream limits in text form, with all caveats explained.  There are two sets of stream limits:

1. The "live" stream limit, which controls how many different feeds can be coming into the house at the same time. These streams are TV shows that you're watching live, or shows that you are recording on the DVR. These streams can be duplicated when they enter the house, so if two TVs are watching the same program, that only counts as one stream. A total of 4 streams can enter the house simultaneously, a maximum of 2 of them can be HD. Thus, your incoming maximum at any one time can be any of the following: 0HD/4SD, 1HD/3SD, or 2HD/2SD. If you attempt to watch a 3rd HD stream, you will get a message on the screen that you will have to interrupt another TV. Streams that are recording use a stream just the same as watching one. So if you are recording 2HD programs, then you must either watch a 3rd stream in SD, or you must watch one of the streams that is being recorded (or you must watch a program that's been previously recorded on the DVR, but that is not a "live" stream).

2. The "recorded" or "THDVR" stream limit, which is currently 2HD/2SD. This means that other TVs in the house can watch a total of 4 pre-recorded streams off the DVR, a maximum of 2 of which can be HD. Recorded streams cannot be duplicated, so if 2 TVs are watching the same program off the DVR, that counts as 2 streams. This is unlike the live streams where if 2 TVs are watching the same program, it only counts as 1 stream.

crimscrem wrote:

Unfortunately, the U-Verse representative misinformed you.  It is also unfortunate that this is not at all unusual.  Most of the U-Verse phone representatives could not find an HD stream with both hands.

HD programs do not "count as 2".  There is simply a different simultaneous limit.

I took the liberty of making a small chart that shows the valid stream limitations for live programs, for someone who has the 2HD/2SD (25.2 Mbps) profile:

Here is also an explanation of all the stream limits in text form, with all caveats explained.  There are two sets of stream limits:

1. The "live" stream limit, which controls how many different feeds can be coming into the house at the same time. These streams are TV shows that you're watching live, or shows that you are recording on the DVR. These streams can be duplicated when they enter the house, so if two TVs are watching the same program, that only counts as one stream. A total of 4 streams can enter the house simultaneously, a maximum of 2 of them can be HD. Thus, your incoming maximum at any one time can be any of the following: 0HD/4SD, 1HD/3SD, or 2HD/2SD. If you attempt to watch a 3rd HD stream, you will get a message on the screen that you will have to interrupt another TV. Streams that are recording use a stream just the same as watching one. So if you are recording 2HD programs, then you must either watch a 3rd stream in SD, or you must watch one of the streams that is being recorded (or you must watch a program that's been previously recorded on the DVR, but that is not a "live" stream).

2. The "recorded" or "THDVR" stream limit, which is currently 2HD/2SD. This means that other TVs in the house can watch a total of 4 pre-recorded streams off the DVR, a maximum of 2 of which can be HD. Recorded streams cannot be duplicated, so if 2 TVs are watching the same program off the DVR, that counts as 2 streams. This is unlike the live streams where if 2 TVs are watching the same program, it only counts as 1 stream.

29 of 59 (2,478 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 24, 2009 9:42:05 AM
(0)
Tutor

SomeJoe7777 wrote:

crimscrem wrote:

Excellent post!  Here's the problem I was having last night.  I was recording HD NBC and HD Fox at the same time on TV#1 (main TV).  I then started watching off the DVR HD Fox on TV#1.  Another family member tried to watch SD ESPN on TV#2, but got the message that indicates all streams are being used.  I'm almost 100% sure that the "live" channel on TV #1 was on one of the two HD channels I was recording.  And if it was not, then it would have been on HD CBS.  But if the "live" channel on TV#1 when I was watching the DVR was on HD CBS, then shouldn't I have received an error message as that would then be 3 HD streams on TV#1 (HD NBC (recording), HD Fox (recording), and HD CBS (live))?  

I have no idea why no one could watch SD ESPN on TV #2.  I appreciate the feedback.

SomeJoe7777 wrote:

crimscrem wrote:

Excellent post!  Here's the problem I was having last night.  I was recording HD NBC and HD Fox at the same time on TV#1 (main TV).  I then started watching off the DVR HD Fox on TV#1.  Another family member tried to watch SD ESPN on TV#2, but got the message that indicates all streams are being used.  I'm almost 100% sure that the "live" channel on TV #1 was on one of the two HD channels I was recording.  And if it was not, then it would have been on HD CBS.  But if the "live" channel on TV#1 when I was watching the DVR was on HD CBS, then shouldn't I have received an error message as that would then be 3 HD streams on TV#1 (HD NBC (recording), HD Fox (recording), and HD CBS (live))?  

I have no idea why no one could watch SD ESPN on TV #2.  I appreciate the feedback.

30 of 59 (2,478 Views)