Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Sep 29, 2010
2:33:40 PM
3HD

My system resources are showing 1SD / 3HD but I still cannot record or watch 3 HD channels at one time. I can set up the recordings without a conflict message but when the time comes, I get "All HD services are in use". 

Any ideas?

Thanks

My system resources are showing 1SD / 3HD but I still cannot record or watch 3 HD channels at one time. I can set up the recordings without a conflict message but when the time comes, I get "All HD services are in use". 

Any ideas?

Thanks

3HD

28 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(28)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 29, 2010 2:40:50 PM
(0)
Expert

Are both your WAN Profile and Ingress Profile 1 SD/3 HD?

Re: 3HD

2 of 29 (1,319 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 29, 2010 2:47:41 PM
(0)
Guru

texasguy37 wrote:

WAN is 1SD / 3HD

Ingress is 2SD / 2HD. 

Egress is 1SD / 2HD

texasguy37 wrote:

WAN is 1SD / 3HD

Ingress is 2SD / 2HD. 

Egress is 1SD / 2HD

3 of 29 (1,319 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 29, 2010 2:51:43 PM
(0)
Expert

JiminSTLouis wrote:

WAN is 1SD / 3HD

Ingress is 2SD / 2HD. 

Egress is 1SD / 2HD

The Ingress Profile of 2 SD/2 HD means that you can only record 2 HD channels at the same time.  Your Ingress Profile would need to be 1 SD/3 HD in order to record 3 HD channels.

Call Technical Support to see if the upgrade to record 3 HD channels is available in your area.

JiminSTLouis wrote:

WAN is 1SD / 3HD

Ingress is 2SD / 2HD. 

Egress is 1SD / 2HD

The Ingress Profile of 2 SD/2 HD means that you can only record 2 HD channels at the same time.  Your Ingress Profile would need to be 1 SD/3 HD in order to record 3 HD channels.

Call Technical Support to see if the upgrade to record 3 HD channels is available in your area.

4 of 29 (1,319 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 29, 2010 2:56:01 PM
(0)
Guru

texasguy37 wrote:

JiminSTLouis wrote:

WAN is 1SD / 3HD

Ingress is 2SD / 2HD. 

Egress is 1SD / 2HD

Thanks for the info.  I will do that.

And a correction to my original post:  I CAN watch 3 HD channels at one time.

texasguy37 wrote:

JiminSTLouis wrote:

WAN is 1SD / 3HD

Ingress is 2SD / 2HD. 

Egress is 1SD / 2HD

Thanks for the info.  I will do that.

And a correction to my original post:  I CAN watch 3 HD channels at one time.

5 of 29 (1,319 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 29, 2010 3:19:16 PM
(0)
Expert

Yes, the WAN Profile of 1 SD/3 HD allows 3 HD channels to be watched at the same time.

Yes, the WAN Profile of 1 SD/3 HD allows 3 HD channels to be watched at the same time.

6 of 29 (1,319 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 29, 2010 3:36:02 PM
(0)
Guru

texasguy37 wrote:

Tier 2 said nobody can record 3HD at once.  He also said 1 in 6000 customers can watch 4HD at once, but that is VERY limited.  I also didn't know that if I was recording 2HD's, I could only "watch" a 3rd HD on a non-DVR box.  That is the trouble I had Monday night when I was trying to watch Castle.

Thanks again for the advise.

texasguy37 wrote:

Tier 2 said nobody can record 3HD at once.  He also said 1 in 6000 customers can watch 4HD at once, but that is VERY limited.  I also didn't know that if I was recording 2HD's, I could only "watch" a 3rd HD on a non-DVR box.  That is the trouble I had Monday night when I was trying to watch Castle.

Thanks again for the advise.

7 of 29 (1,319 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 29, 2010 3:50:47 PM
(0)
Expert

Many customers, including myself, have the Ingress Profile of 1 SD/3 HD and can record 3 HD channels.  I also have a WAN Profile of 0 SD/4 HD and can watch 4 HD channels.

Since you struck out with Technical Support, I would suggest that you contact the Sales Department to see if you can be upgraded.

Many customers, including myself, have the Ingress Profile of 1 SD/3 HD and can record 3 HD channels.  I also have a WAN Profile of 0 SD/4 HD and can watch 4 HD channels.

Since you struck out with Technical Support, I would suggest that you contact the Sales Department to see if you can be upgraded.

8 of 29 (1,319 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 29, 2010 4:25:25 PM
(0)
Guru

texasguy37 wrote:

Wow, I think I will do that. 

texasguy37 wrote:

Wow, I think I will do that. 

9 of 29 (1,319 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 30, 2010 11:37:47 AM
(0)
Guru

texasguy37 wrote:

HA!  Sales is upgrading me to 4 HD streams!  She seemed surprised that I was able to get it.  She said it should be available in a couple of hours.

Thanks TEX!

texasguy37 wrote:

HA!  Sales is upgrading me to 4 HD streams!  She seemed surprised that I was able to get it.  She said it should be available in a couple of hours.

Thanks TEX!

10 of 29 (1,319 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 30, 2010 11:38:35 AM
(0)
Expert

Good deal!

Good deal!

11 of 29 (1,020 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 30, 2010 12:10:15 PM
(0)
Guru

That was a fast couple of hours.  I now have:

WAN 0 SD / 4 HD

Ingress 1 SD / 3 HD

Egress 1 SD / 2 HD

I had to reboot all boxes on the system and am now watching 4 HD channels and recording 3 of them.  SWEET!  Why didn't Tier 2 tech support know about this??

U-verse just keeps getting better and better!

That was a fast couple of hours.  I now have:

WAN 0 SD / 4 HD

Ingress 1 SD / 3 HD

Egress 1 SD / 2 HD

I had to reboot all boxes on the system and am now watching 4 HD channels and recording 3 of them.  SWEET!  Why didn't Tier 2 tech support know about this??

U-verse just keeps getting better and better!

12 of 29 (1,020 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 30, 2010 12:34:12 PM
(0)
Expert

I had the same issue with Tech Support when I attempted to upgrade to 4 HD.  The tech support person did mention that the Sales Department had better tools to upgrade customers.  I called Sales, and they were able to upgrade me.

I had the same issue with Tech Support when I attempted to upgrade to 4 HD.  The tech support person did mention that the Sales Department had better tools to upgrade customers.  I called Sales, and they were able to upgrade me.

13 of 29 (1,020 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 1, 2010 10:41:06 AM
(0)
Mentor

Congrats!   I'm in the same boat...What phone number for sales?  

Congrats!   I'm in the same boat...What phone number for sales?  

14 of 29 (1,020 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 1, 2010 11:21:57 AM
(0)
Expert

Call 800-288-2020

Call 800-288-2020

15 of 29 (1,020 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 2, 2010 3:38:53 PM
(0)
Mentor

Well, tech support is pretty dumb.  Called to get switched to the 3/1 ingress profile (already have 3/1 WAN).  First tier tech support had no clue and was asking about the error message I got when I had conflicts....  After fumbling for a while he transfers me to tier 2.  Tier 2 tells me it can't be done.  "It's a firmware limitation on the box, no more than 2 streams".  I thought this was incorrect, but also knew there are multiple box types floating around (I think), so I accepted.  Did a little more readin here, did a soft reboot, what do ya know, 3/1 ingress profile.  Successfully recorded 2 shows and watched a third, all in HD, on my DVR.  Now my wife can stop complaining (at least for a little bit) as we often find times where 2 shows are recording and then she wants to watch a third.  Now we'll wait for 4/0 :smileyhappy:

Well, tech support is pretty dumb.  Called to get switched to the 3/1 ingress profile (already have 3/1 WAN).  First tier tech support had no clue and was asking about the error message I got when I had conflicts....  After fumbling for a while he transfers me to tier 2.  Tier 2 tells me it can't be done.  "It's a firmware limitation on the box, no more than 2 streams".  I thought this was incorrect, but also knew there are multiple box types floating around (I think), so I accepted.  Did a little more readin here, did a soft reboot, what do ya know, 3/1 ingress profile.  Successfully recorded 2 shows and watched a third, all in HD, on my DVR.  Now my wife can stop complaining (at least for a little bit) as we often find times where 2 shows are recording and then she wants to watch a third.  Now we'll wait for 4/0 :smileyhappy:

16 of 29 (1,020 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 2, 2010 5:55:04 PM
(0)
Expert

I don't know that I would say they are "dumb", but there definitely appears to be a lack of  training/information issue. For whatever reason the Tech Support people (both Tier 1 and Tier 2) do not appear to be aware of some of the new profile offerings.  The result is a lot of frustration for some of the customers.  I cannot explain why this situation exists, but I would hope that AT&T will address this and get the information to the frontline people who need to know what is available.

I have stated that when faced with this situation, you can call the Sales Department which seems to have better tools and more knowledge of the new profiles.  A number of customers have been upgraded by the Sales Department after being told by Tech Support that an upgraded profile does not exist  or that they cannot be upgraded.

I don't know that I would say they are "dumb", but there definitely appears to be a lack of  training/information issue. For whatever reason the Tech Support people (both Tier 1 and Tier 2) do not appear to be aware of some of the new profile offerings.  The result is a lot of frustration for some of the customers.  I cannot explain why this situation exists, but I would hope that AT&T will address this and get the information to the frontline people who need to know what is available.

I have stated that when faced with this situation, you can call the Sales Department which seems to have better tools and more knowledge of the new profiles.  A number of customers have been upgraded by the Sales Department after being told by Tech Support that an upgraded profile does not exist  or that they cannot be upgraded.

17 of 29 (1,020 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 2, 2010 7:19:00 PM
(0)
Mentor

texasguy37 wrote:

OK. maybe "dumb" was a bit harsh.  However "new" is a relative statement.  There are reports going back several months of people getting the 3/1 ingress.  I wouldn't call that "new".  Heck, there are even people reporting 4/0 yet Tier 2 is insisting that anything above 2/2 exists.

I did read the info about calling sales which is just ridiculous.  How is it that sales has more ability to change the technical aspects of the service than Tier 2 tech support?  That being said, I might be making a call to Sales to see if I can bump all the way to 4/0 as I am only about 1000 ft from the VRAD :smileyvery-happy:

texasguy37 wrote:

OK. maybe "dumb" was a bit harsh.  However "new" is a relative statement.  There are reports going back several months of people getting the 3/1 ingress.  I wouldn't call that "new".  Heck, there are even people reporting 4/0 yet Tier 2 is insisting that anything above 2/2 exists.

I did read the info about calling sales which is just ridiculous.  How is it that sales has more ability to change the technical aspects of the service than Tier 2 tech support?  That being said, I might be making a call to Sales to see if I can bump all the way to 4/0 as I am only about 1000 ft from the VRAD :smileyvery-happy:

18 of 29 (1,020 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 2, 2010 7:45:59 PM
(0)
Expert

jasonvr wrote:

The suggestion to call the Sales Department is of course just that (i.e. a suggestion).  It is not something that anyone needs to do if they do not want to.  When I spoke to Technical Support about upgrading me to the 4 HD profile, they were unable to complete the upgrade and suggested that I contact the Sales Department because they have access to better tools to upgrade customer profiles.  I followed the suggestion, and I called the Sales Department which successfully upgraded me to the 4 HD profile. 

No one needs to feel obligated to call the Sales Department to inquire about upgrading their profile if they do not want to follow that suggestion.  I'm simply sharing my experience and attempting to help others who are faced with the same situation.  I guess that is the purpose of a peer to peer forum.

jasonvr wrote:

The suggestion to call the Sales Department is of course just that (i.e. a suggestion).  It is not something that anyone needs to do if they do not want to.  When I spoke to Technical Support about upgrading me to the 4 HD profile, they were unable to complete the upgrade and suggested that I contact the Sales Department because they have access to better tools to upgrade customer profiles.  I followed the suggestion, and I called the Sales Department which successfully upgraded me to the 4 HD profile. 

No one needs to feel obligated to call the Sales Department to inquire about upgrading their profile if they do not want to follow that suggestion.  I'm simply sharing my experience and attempting to help others who are faced with the same situation.  I guess that is the purpose of a peer to peer forum.

19 of 29 (1,020 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 2, 2010 7:51:09 PM
(0)
Mentor

texasguy37 wrote:

Just to be clear, I am not calling your suggestion ridiculous and I value the information.  I am saying it is ridiculous that in a company that is delivering technology to consumers, the sales department is more competent in making changes to and fixing problems with that technology than Tier 2 tech support.

texasguy37 wrote:

Just to be clear, I am not calling your suggestion ridiculous and I value the information.  I am saying it is ridiculous that in a company that is delivering technology to consumers, the sales department is more competent in making changes to and fixing problems with that technology than Tier 2 tech support.

20 of 29 (1,020 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 3, 2010 10:51:00 AM
(0)
Guru

jasonvr wrote:

I'm not sure this is a "fix" to a problem, but an upgrade to service.  In that case, sales would be the department to take care of it.  I've since called two friends that have U-verse and they've called sales and have been upgraded to 4HD.

My question is, if 4HD is available in a market, why not just push an update to all eligible customers?  Why is a call to anyone even necessary? Not that it's a big deal or hard to do, but most people don't know to call unless they read it here.

jasonvr wrote:

I'm not sure this is a "fix" to a problem, but an upgrade to service.  In that case, sales would be the department to take care of it.  I've since called two friends that have U-verse and they've called sales and have been upgraded to 4HD.

My question is, if 4HD is available in a market, why not just push an update to all eligible customers?  Why is a call to anyone even necessary? Not that it's a big deal or hard to do, but most people don't know to call unless they read it here.

21 of 29 (1,166 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 3, 2010 11:05:58 AM
(0)
Expert

JiminSTLouis wrote:

That's a good question, and I wish I had a good answer for it.  Once the 4 HD profile is introduced into a new market, it is automatically used for new customer installs for those who qualify; however, existing customers can call and request the upgrade.  At some point, the upgraded profile will be pushed to the existing customers that qualify.

I'm sure there is some logic behind why it is done this way as opposed to immediately pushing the new profile to all existing customers.  It might be a way to slowly introduce the profile into the market to make sure there are no major issues created.

JiminSTLouis wrote:

That's a good question, and I wish I had a good answer for it.  Once the 4 HD profile is introduced into a new market, it is automatically used for new customer installs for those who qualify; however, existing customers can call and request the upgrade.  At some point, the upgraded profile will be pushed to the existing customers that qualify.

I'm sure there is some logic behind why it is done this way as opposed to immediately pushing the new profile to all existing customers.  It might be a way to slowly introduce the profile into the market to make sure there are no major issues created.

22 of 29 (1,166 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 3, 2010 11:14:21 AM
(0)
Guru

Yeah, I guess that makes sense.

Also, sorry everyone for starting this thread.  Had I checked, I would have seen the other dozen identical threads.

Yeah, I guess that makes sense.

Also, sorry everyone for starting this thread.  Had I checked, I would have seen the other dozen identical threads.

23 of 29 (1,166 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 3, 2010 5:44:26 PM
(0)
Explorer

I took the good advice and called sales (orders) last Friday. Over the last three weeks I had called tech spt twice and gotten zilch. One tech had never heard of the 4HD roll out, and the other said it looked like I would have to wait for it. How long, no idea. So, I called sales and got a very helpful lady. She said the 4HD was a no go, but she could upgrade me to the 1SD/3HD ingress profile. Great, since that was what I really wanted. She said it would take about 20 minutes to take effect.

Well, I waited an hour and rebooted the dvr, no joy. Same story Saturday and today. I'll try again tomorrow, but my gut feeling is I need to work harder on my patience. By the way, I'm in Salinas,CA and I've read that someone has the 4HD in Modesto. So  I guess it's coming. 

I took the good advice and called sales (orders) last Friday. Over the last three weeks I had called tech spt twice and gotten zilch. One tech had never heard of the 4HD roll out, and the other said it looked like I would have to wait for it. How long, no idea. So, I called sales and got a very helpful lady. She said the 4HD was a no go, but she could upgrade me to the 1SD/3HD ingress profile. Great, since that was what I really wanted. She said it would take about 20 minutes to take effect.

Well, I waited an hour and rebooted the dvr, no joy. Same story Saturday and today. I'll try again tomorrow, but my gut feeling is I need to work harder on my patience. By the way, I'm in Salinas,CA and I've read that someone has the 4HD in Modesto. So  I guess it's coming. 

24 of 29 (1,166 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 3, 2010 6:11:01 PM
(0)
Expert

jerryp5503 wrote:

I know the 4 HD profile has not been rolled out to all markets.  If should be just a matter of time before it reaches your market.

jerryp5503 wrote:

I know the 4 HD profile has not been rolled out to all markets.  If should be just a matter of time before it reaches your market.

25 of 29 (1,166 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 3, 2010 10:01:34 PM
(0)
Master

Heck I would be grateful if i had 3HD.

Heck I would be grateful if i had 3HD.

26 of 29 (1,166 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 3, 2010 10:16:03 PM
(0)
Expert

Oz, what market are you in?  Are you on the 32/5 profile?

27 of 29 (1,166 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 5, 2010 8:44:55 PM
(0)
Master

texasguy37 wrote:

Yes and I have rebooted every other day in hopes still 2HD/2SD.

texasguy37 wrote:

28 of 29 (1,166 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 5, 2010 9:13:09 PM
(0)
Expert

oz wrote:

You might try calling Technical Support or the Sales Department to see if 3 HD streams are available in your market.

oz wrote:

You might try calling Technical Support or the Sales Department to see if 3 HD streams are available in your market.

29 of 29 (1,166 Views)