Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Jul 18, 2008
11:14:45 PM
3800HGV-B and the Playstation Network, random disconnects (PSN). Almost ready to cancel.

This has been driving me crazy for some time, and I have found no way to fix it. I experience random disconnects on PSN, which makes it really difficult to play online. It happens just sitting at the XMB, it happens in game, it happens why downloading stuff, pretty much it just happens whenever it feels like it. Now I have tried all kinds of different things, to rid of the problem, with nothing working. I am starting to just think the uverse service or the 3800HGV-B is at fault. Here are some examples of things I have tried.

Wired

Wireless, no security

Putting PS3 in the DMZ

Manually forwarding ports

adjusting tcp/udp timeouts

Disabling UpnP on the ps3

Enabling UpnP on the ps3

Disabling Media server on the ps3

Static ip's, ofcourse

Disabling every security/firewall feature I could find

Disconnecting all other ports

Then as kinda  last resort, I decided to hook my WRT54GS(firmware dd-wrt v24) up, and give it the DMZ(plus) via the 3800HGV-B. So I am running a router behind a router, but I am doing it the proper way.

I then gave my PS3 a static ip, via the WRT54GS.

Then I tried everything I could think of, including the stuff above. Same problems, random disconnects.

My Nat Type is 2, which should be a good thing. Ofcourse I can not do a direct connect, because the nature of Uverse, makes it impossible, because the modem is also a router. Now I know my PS3/PSN works fine with other ISP's and hardware, as I have tested it at other households (I even brought my router along). I am really thinking there is no fix :smileysad:

and possibly canceling my service over this little problem, that is driving me mad.

This has been driving me crazy for some time, and I have found no way to fix it. I experience random disconnects on PSN, which makes it really difficult to play online. It happens just sitting at the XMB, it happens in game, it happens why downloading stuff, pretty much it just happens whenever it feels like it. Now I have tried all kinds of different things, to rid of the problem, with nothing working. I am starting to just think the uverse service or the 3800HGV-B is at fault. Here are some examples of things I have tried.

Wired

Wireless, no security

Putting PS3 in the DMZ

Manually forwarding ports

adjusting tcp/udp timeouts

Disabling UpnP on the ps3

Enabling UpnP on the ps3

Disabling Media server on the ps3

Static ip's, ofcourse

Disabling every security/firewall feature I could find

Disconnecting all other ports

Then as kinda  last resort, I decided to hook my WRT54GS(firmware dd-wrt v24) up, and give it the DMZ(plus) via the 3800HGV-B. So I am running a router behind a router, but I am doing it the proper way.

I then gave my PS3 a static ip, via the WRT54GS.

Then I tried everything I could think of, including the stuff above. Same problems, random disconnects.

My Nat Type is 2, which should be a good thing. Ofcourse I can not do a direct connect, because the nature of Uverse, makes it impossible, because the modem is also a router. Now I know my PS3/PSN works fine with other ISP's and hardware, as I have tested it at other households (I even brought my router along). I am really thinking there is no fix :smileysad:

and possibly canceling my service over this little problem, that is driving me mad.

3800HGV-B and the Playstation Network, random disconnects (PSN). Almost ready to cancel.

14 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(14)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 19, 2008 1:26:38 AM
(0)
Expert
I don't PS, but many here do; I'll bet someone can help you out if you can wait later in the morning/day.  Don't give up yet! :smileywink:  Smart cookies here on Networking.
I don't PS, but many here do; I'll bet someone can help you out if you can wait later in the morning/day.  Don't give up yet! :smileywink:  Smart cookies here on Networking.

Re: 3800HGV-B and the Playstation Network, random disconnects (PSN). Almost ready to cancel.

2 of 15 (981 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 19, 2008 8:13:30 AM
(0)
Master

sounds like a bad rg  maybe ?

call tech support and ask them to do line tests   etc

u either have a bad line and or router  imho

randy

sounds like a bad rg  maybe ?

call tech support and ask them to do line tests   etc

u either have a bad line and or router  imho

randy

Re: 3800HGV-B and the Playstation Network, random disconnects (PSN). Almost ready to cancel.

3 of 15 (981 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 19, 2008 10:17:37 AM
(0)
Professor
Either a bad RG or the RG is losing sync IMO.  Do your TVs still work?
Either a bad RG or the RG is losing sync IMO.  Do your TVs still work?

4 of 15 (981 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 19, 2008 10:36:23 AM
(0)
Teacher
Tv's still work. Pc never appears to loose connection, my PAP2-NA appears to never loose connection. After bing disconnected, I can reconnect right away. Maybe the router doesn't like my PS3.
Tv's still work. Pc never appears to loose connection, my PAP2-NA appears to never loose connection. After bing disconnected, I can reconnect right away. Maybe the router doesn't like my PS3.

5 of 15 (981 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 19, 2008 1:13:27 PM
(0)
Teacher

I think that you would have better luck asking this question on the PS boards.  Since there is much more activity there.  I have PS3 but use a wired connection and have not had any problems.

http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board?board.id=ps3

I think that you would have better luck asking this question on the PS boards.  Since there is much more activity there.  I have PS3 but use a wired connection and have not had any problems.

http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board?board.id=ps3

6 of 15 (981 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 19, 2008 4:04:07 PM
(0)
Teacher

I figured I would have better luck here, seeing as more people would be familar with my hardware.

Over there, you just get the normal replies, try direct connect, open the ports, get a better isp, blah....

I figured I would have better luck here, seeing as more people would be familar with my hardware.

Over there, you just get the normal replies, try direct connect, open the ports, get a better isp, blah....

7 of 15 (981 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 22, 2008 12:24:25 AM
(0)
Teacher

Bad line? Nah that cant be it. As my other devices using the connection, never loose connection. Pc, the other televisions, voip adapter. Its just the PS3/PSN that is giving me fits.

Bad router? If this was the case, then the other devices should be having issue's also.

Bad line? Nah that cant be it. As my other devices using the connection, never loose connection. Pc, the other televisions, voip adapter. Its just the PS3/PSN that is giving me fits.

Bad router? If this was the case, then the other devices should be having issue's also.

8 of 15 (981 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 22, 2008 12:28:02 AM
(0)
Expert

Maybe try a new/different line of Ethernet; could be loose wire in the connector, someone had that happen before with Internet.

Maybe try a new/different line of Ethernet; could be loose wire in the connector, someone had that happen before with Internet.

9 of 15 (981 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 22, 2008 11:48:56 AM
(0)
Teacher
I have no short supply of ethernet cables, so I did give the suggestion a shot. I swapped out 3 of the cables, the most important ones. I even tried a different line, coming from the wall. Unfortunately, it did not help.
I have no short supply of ethernet cables, so I did give the suggestion a shot. I swapped out 3 of the cables, the most important ones. I even tried a different line, coming from the wall. Unfortunately, it did not help.

10 of 15 (981 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 23, 2008 7:01:17 AM
(0)
Expert
What if you plug the PS into a different port ON the RG, or have you tried that already?
What if you plug the PS into a different port ON the RG, or have you tried that already?

11 of 15 (1,148 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 23, 2008 11:15:14 AM
(0)
Teacher

Yea. Plus the error still happens, even when the PS3 is behind another router :smileysad:

So, which port the PS3 is using, on either of the routers, makes no difference.

Yea. Plus the error still happens, even when the PS3 is behind another router :smileysad:

So, which port the PS3 is using, on either of the routers, makes no difference.

12 of 15 (1,148 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 23, 2008 11:58:22 PM
(0)
Expert
OK, I'm out of ideas...where are the Playstation people here? 
OK, I'm out of ideas...where are the Playstation people here? 

13 of 15 (1,148 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 29, 2008 5:10:30 AM
(0)
Tutor

ok this is how i have my PS3 set up with the U-verse

i opened the firewall ports for the tcp and the udp so that it will go through all the possable portsyou can find the ports on the PSN web site. i also have my ps3 set for the 100baseT instead of auto. all the rest is auto. this is a wired set up i also use cat6 wire. this is not a complete fix since its not the u-verse all the time it seems since the latest update for the PS3 it has been frezing up my PS3 to where it has to be powered down. i hope that helps

ok this is how i have my PS3 set up with the U-verse

i opened the firewall ports for the tcp and the udp so that it will go through all the possable portsyou can find the ports on the PSN web site. i also have my ps3 set for the 100baseT instead of auto. all the rest is auto. this is a wired set up i also use cat6 wire. this is not a complete fix since its not the u-verse all the time it seems since the latest update for the PS3 it has been frezing up my PS3 to where it has to be powered down. i hope that helps

14 of 15 (1,148 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 23, 2008 8:58:58 AM
(0)
Contributor

Wow, finally someone else with the same problem I have.  I haven't found a fix either, and it's been irritating over the past couple of months.  I've found that cycling power to the RG seems to help for a little while, but then PS3/PSN disconnects or doesn't work again the next day or later that same evening.

Any light on this problem?

Russell

Wow, finally someone else with the same problem I have.  I haven't found a fix either, and it's been irritating over the past couple of months.  I've found that cycling power to the RG seems to help for a little while, but then PS3/PSN disconnects or doesn't work again the next day or later that same evening.

Any light on this problem?

Russell

I HAVE THIS SAME PROBLEM

15 of 15 (1,148 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments