3800HGV-B and loopback

Highlighted
Contributor

3800HGV-B and loopback

I run an http server, an ftp server and an https server on my network. Switching to at&t U-verse High Speed Internet from regular DSL has broken my ability to seamlessly  access my servers from my web pages using my Public IP address from within my own network since the 2WIRE 3800HGV-B does not appear to currently support NAT Loopback.

2WIRE tech support's response was simply that they have no control over what services at&t provides.

at&t's response was that as long as I can access the internet they have no further obligation. Although they do handle home networking. 

QUESTIONS: 

1). Is the lack of NAT loopback on the 2WIRE 3800HGV-B an issue that at&t can remedy with a mere software update to the modem?

2). Would a second router such as the WRT320N in DMZplus mode behind the 3800HGV-B solve the loopback issue.

Message 1 of 17 (1,368 Views)
Guru

Re: 3800HGV-B and loopback

The 2Wire 3800HGV-B is a residential gateway (RG), and as such not designed to support the services you describe. Nor is U-verse, with its meager upload speeds, sufficient for anything much more than SOHO and home entertainment. I doubt this will change soon. If you're running services with a fair number of visitors, suggest you look into commercial web hosting. 
Message 2 of 17 (1,366 Views)
Contributor

My home servers are only for private family use (I have a large family), but hay, even the 2WIRE 1800HG that I ran with regular DSL is a residential gateway but provides the necessary NAT Loopback services.  Should customers "upgrading" to  U-verse High Speed Internet have useful features taken away?

I am happy with the throughput, but just looking for that Loopback solution...  I'd hate to purchase a 2nd router just to find out it doesn't  help the Loopback situation.

Buy the way, I believe the 3800HGV-B is the same "residential" gateway provided for business services.  So the point that it's called a residential gateway is mute.

Message Edited by MagnaMoRo on 09-25-2009 12:07 AM
Message 3 of 17 (1,366 Views)
Guru

Then I would suggest you try option 2: putting a second router in the DMZ. I believe I read someone said it works, though I haven't tried it myself.
Message 4 of 17 (1,366 Views)
Scholar

Yes that's how it works.  I run a web server with a FQDN using dynamic dns and can access my web server via the domain name with no problem.

I have a linksys router in dmz and the web server behind that. along with all my pc's.

Message 5 of 17 (1,366 Views)
Contributor

I like the fact that someone has gotten this to work.  (please refrain from comments that "you dont need to do this, get a commercial server" as they are not helpful people). 

But, I would like it to work like it did with the old DSL speedster router.  Loopback DNS support.  I am not sure I have the skillz to set up the DMZ and then a router in the DMZ, nor do I want to do all that just to support this internal DNS.  Is there another trick I can use to accomplish this?

Message 6 of 17 (1,366 Views)
Expert

There is no way to get the RG to support the loopback, so you have to do some type of work-around.

You can put a router that supports loopback behind the RG (e.g. the Linksys as stated in the example above), you can use some type of split-DNS solution.  To do this, you could run your own DNS server on your home network, or you can do something as simple as a hosts file entry.  The hosts file entry solution is quite simple and easy to do, but it has to be done on each computer in your home network individually.

Message 7 of 17 (1,366 Views)
Scholar

If you are setting up all these services to run on your data network (web server, mail servers, etc) then you can just as easily configure your own private DNS server inside your network, too.  By operating your own DNS server, you can prevent your internal hosts from trying to loopback.  Just associate the private address being used by your server(s) with the appropriate a records in your DNS server.

One important note - make certain the set top boxes can get any addresses they request resolved from AT&T DNS servers (point your DNS servers at the AT&T servers as forwarding servers - not at the root servers). 

Message 8 of 17 (1,366 Views)
Contributor

You could change your computer to be in the DMZ. Please note that your computer is no longer behind the gateway's firewall (or a routers firewall as it would be for others setup) and should have it's own firewall setup to ensure it is secured.

Go to your gateway http://192.168.1.254/

Click Firewall

Then Firewall Settings

Select the Computer Name that you wish to be accessible from the internet

Click the "Allow all applications (DMZplus mode)" radio button

Click Done

After you have done this, you will need to refresh your IP Address (probably best to restart the computer).

Confirm it worked by checking that the IP address of the computer is the same as the public IP address. 

Message 9 of 17 (1,366 Views)
Contributor

An additional router is not wokring for me  :smileymad: ..I just bought the cisco-linksys wrt320n for christmas precisely to use it as my dhcp server.  I'm able to set the wan port in the linksys router to DMZ but then my computers on the network behind the router are not able to route outside to the internet...I have my own DNS server and it works fine when AT&T's RG is set to DHCP but when I put everything behind the linksys wrt320n nothing gets out...

Message 10 of 17 (1,366 Views)
Contributor

As Homer would have said:  "D'oh!".. 

I had NAT disabled on the wrt320n..

Now my wrt320n is routing all traffic after the DSL modem set up as DMZ....

My only problem now is that port forwarding on the wrt320n doesn't seem to be working at all...

Message 11 of 17 (955 Views)
Contributor

Now port forwarding is working perfectly.. I had to disable the port forwarding settings from the DSL modem first, other wise the request would not even reach the cisco-linksys router in the DMZ zone...
Message 12 of 17 (955 Views)

Thought I would make everyone here aware of this: "NAT Loopback Turned Up on AT&T U-Verse Router": http://www.davidwesterfield.net/2010/03/nat-loopback-turned-up-on-att-u-verse-router/

Message 13 of 17 (955 Views)
Expert

westerfunk wrote:

Thought I would make everyone here aware of this: "NAT Loopback Turned Up on AT&T U-Verse Router": http://www.davidwesterfield.net/2010/03/nat-loopback-turned-up-on-att-u-verse-router/

Just tried this and sure enough, NAT loopback is now working with the latest RG firmware (6.1.9.24)!  Very welcome news for those trying to test outside name resolution to an inside server.

Message 14 of 17 (955 Views)
Contributor

I show version Software Version: 5.29.135.47 and "no upgrades available".  What should I do?

Message 15 of 17 (955 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.