Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Jul 6, 2008
7:13:57 PM
3800HGV-B - Making it act like a standard modem for use with a 2nd router.

Ok, I want to continue to use my 3800HGV-B for my STB's. That leaves one free ethernet port, which I will be hooking my WRT54GS(firmware DD-WRT V24) into. I am just looking for comments to make sure I am going about this the right way. Here are some of the things I have done on the 3800HGV-B

1: Disable wireless

2: Gave my WRT54GS DMZPlus Mode.

3: Disabled all other Port forwaring, to prevent conflicts.

Any suggestions, as to what else I can do to make sure I am running smooth as possible?

Ok, I want to continue to use my 3800HGV-B for my STB's. That leaves one free ethernet port, which I will be hooking my WRT54GS(firmware DD-WRT V24) into. I am just looking for comments to make sure I am going about this the right way. Here are some of the things I have done on the 3800HGV-B

1: Disable wireless

2: Gave my WRT54GS DMZPlus Mode.

3: Disabled all other Port forwaring, to prevent conflicts.

Any suggestions, as to what else I can do to make sure I am running smooth as possible?

3800HGV-B - Making it act like a standard modem for use with a 2nd router.

8 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(8)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 7, 2008 2:41:20 PM
(0)
Tutor

re: Here are some of the things I have done on the 3800HGV-B...

Sounds like a reasonable procedure to me. How's it working out with those steps you've alreay implemented, any problems? Other alternative would be to run router behind router, with inherent problems that would probably require further administration and configuration.

Regards, Bill

re: Here are some of the things I have done on the 3800HGV-B...

Sounds like a reasonable procedure to me. How's it working out with those steps you've alreay implemented, any problems? Other alternative would be to run router behind router, with inherent problems that would probably require further administration and configuration.

Regards, Bill

Re: 3800HGV-B - Making it act like a standard modem for use with a 2nd router.

2 of 9 (704 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 7, 2008 7:36:15 PM
(0)
Tutor

I am doing the exact same thing with my Apple Airport extreme base station. You will need to reboot the WRT54GS, then it should work.

This basic setup works for me.

I am doing the exact same thing with my Apple Airport extreme base station. You will need to reboot the WRT54GS, then it should work.

This basic setup works for me.

3 of 9 (704 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 18, 2008 5:19:20 AM
(0)
Teacher

Unfortunately that's not a complete solution.

Try tracerouting from the wrt54gs (or a computer plugged into the wrt54gs).  In my setup, where I have enabled dmzplus mode for my wrt54, the 3800hgv-b seems to be blocking icmp ttl-exceeded messages (and possibly other icmp messages as well, haven't thoroughly tested).  So it's still filtering some stuff, even after I've disabled every filtering option I could find, including the attack detection features.

Unfortunately that's not a complete solution.

Try tracerouting from the wrt54gs (or a computer plugged into the wrt54gs).  In my setup, where I have enabled dmzplus mode for my wrt54, the 3800hgv-b seems to be blocking icmp ttl-exceeded messages (and possibly other icmp messages as well, haven't thoroughly tested).  So it's still filtering some stuff, even after I've disabled every filtering option I could find, including the attack detection features.

4 of 9 (704 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 18, 2008 1:33:16 PM
(0)
Professor
There is no way to turn off the SPI firewall.
There is no way to turn off the SPI firewall.

5 of 9 (704 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 19, 2008 5:07:19 AM
(0)
Contributor

I would like to do a similar thing with my Netgear WGU624 router but I am a novice at this so I have some questions. 

1. How do you disable the wireless on the 3800HGV-B?

2. How do I give thr WGU624 DMZPlus?

3. How do you disable all other Port forwarding?

Thanks!

I would like to do a similar thing with my Netgear WGU624 router but I am a novice at this so I have some questions. 

1. How do you disable the wireless on the 3800HGV-B?

2. How do I give thr WGU624 DMZPlus?

3. How do you disable all other Port forwarding?

Thanks!

6 of 9 (704 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 19, 2008 10:14:24 AM
(0)
Professor

Here is a link to automatically disable the wireless interface: http://192.168.1.254/xslt?PAGE=C04_POST&DEVNAME=wave0&STYPE=DISABLE

For DMZPlus, sometimes the RG will pick it up automatically and ask you if you want to put it in the DMZPlus mode.  If not, you can find it in your firewall settings.  I am not sure what you mean by disable all other port forwading.  If you don't have it set up, it won't have any port forwards.

Here is a link to automatically disable the wireless interface: http://192.168.1.254/xslt?PAGE=C04_POST&DEVNAME=wave0&STYPE=DISABLE

For DMZPlus, sometimes the RG will pick it up automatically and ask you if you want to put it in the DMZPlus mode.  If not, you can find it in your firewall settings.  I am not sure what you mean by disable all other port forwading.  If you don't have it set up, it won't have any port forwards.

7 of 9 (704 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 20, 2008 11:15:56 AM
(0)
Contributor

Thanks Koolkid, that helped. I am trying to get WHS wit U-verse 2Wire 3008GV-B. I want to be able to have Remote Aacess to my server. I was able to get the router in the DMZ, now I can't get to it.

Thanks Koolkid, that helped. I am trying to get WHS wit U-verse 2Wire 3008GV-B. I want to be able to have Remote Aacess to my server. I was able to get the router in the DMZ, now I can't get to it.

8 of 9 (704 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 17, 2010 9:58:41 AM
(0)
Contributor

HI,

With regard to disabling this modem's wireless capabiities, is this something easy to accomplish? And if so, could you explain how one goes about doing this?

Thanks,

Ed

HI,

With regard to disabling this modem's wireless capabiities, is this something easy to accomplish? And if so, could you explain how one goes about doing this?

Thanks,

Ed

9 of 9 (704 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments