3800 gateway wifi speed

Contributor

3800 gateway wifi speed

My intel proset wieless on my dell laptop says it is connected at 54.0 mbps and the signal is excellant. But it takes forever to load pages, especially searches. What's up with that?
Message 1 of 16 (1,362 Views)
Teacher

Re: 3800 gateway wifi speed

Try changing your wireless channel to 11 on this page here. Make sure you enter your Residential Gateway password. http://192.168.1.254/xslt?PAGE=J46&THISPAGE=J07&NEXTPAGE=J46 . Hope it helps. 

Message Edited by gailntorres on 02-08-2010 12:42 PM
Message 2 of 16 (1,362 Views)
Mentor

You will never receive any greater speed than what you have paid for.  If this is 6 mbps, then that is the theoretical maximum that you will recieve.  A wired connection should come close to this, but a wireless connection will be slower, mainly because of overhead in the connection.  This overhead is the two computers talking back and forth with each other while you are transmitting.  They are making sure that the packets are received correctly and also doing a few other things.  Your wireless connection will also be slower depending on the environment you are operating in, by that I mean how many walls are between you and the RG, what the walls are made of, and how far away you are from the RG, as well as interference caused by other electrical devices in your home.  Also, the 54 mbps that  you state the connection is at means that is the maximum that is allowed by the 802.11g protocol.  Another piece of advise I can give is look for SomeJoe7777's post about wireless connections dropping.  It is very informative and may answer a lot of your questions.
Message 3 of 16 (1,362 Views)
Mentor

You throughout your home network has nothing to do with your Internet Speed ... if you have 6Mb, 12 or 18 your WiFi trough your RG still will be at 54Mbps since your RG uses 802.11g ... if you want to pick up your WiFi speed throughout your home network get Dual Band 802.11n (up to 300Mbps wireless) router set it up behind your RG turn off wireless in your RG and use your router as wireless access point.
Message 4 of 16 (1,362 Views)
Expert

A few people have posted that they are getting speeds MUCH faster than advertised for their package price.  Fluke or whatever, it can happen and think they've kept quiet and kept their speed for less $. :smileywink:

WIUser wrote:
You will never receive any greater speed than what you have paid for.  If this is 6 mbps, then that is the theoretical maximum that you will recieve.  A wired connection should come close to this, but a wireless connection will be slower, mainly because of overhead in the connection.  This overhead is the two computers talking back and forth with each other while you are transmitting.  They are making sure that the packets are received correctly and also doing a few other things.  Your wireless connection will also be slower depending on the environment you are operating in, by that I mean how many walls are between you and the RG, what the walls are made of, and how far away you are from the RG, as well as interference caused by other electrical devices in your home.  Also, the 54 mbps that  you state the connection is at means that is the maximum that is allowed by the 802.11g protocol.  Another piece of advise I can give is look for SomeJoe7777's post about wireless connections dropping.  It is very informative and may answer a lot of your questions.

Message 5 of 16 (1,362 Views)
Teacher

By the wayt the 54 Mbps that your computer detects is the LAN speed between the RG and your computer or computers to computers. This is the speed if you will transfer a file from a PC to another PC. This is not your internet speed. Your RG will only allow up to 54 Mbps of data transfer speed no matter how fast your internet speed is. But do not worry, no provider today is offering more than 54Mbps of internet speed. The fastest internet i think is 30 Mbps?

Message 6 of 16 (1,362 Views)
Employee

54Mbps is the signaling rate, actual data throughput on a "54Mbps" connection is usually (at best) around 22 Mbps ...noting that the "b" is bits and the actual throughput in bytes (big "B") would then be 22 (megabits per second) divided by 8 (bits per byte).

From that you then subtract the overhead from IP (or other protocol suite) and Ethernet.

WiFi provides reliability by encoding the same data traffic twice within the transmission .. that and some signaling overhead are why the actual throughput is so much lower then the signaling rate, even with a high quality link.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 7 of 16 (1,362 Views)
Mentor

Like I said earlier if he wants more data transfer speed get Dual Band 802.11n router and set it up behind the RG you will get transfer speed up to 300Mbps
Message 8 of 16 (1,362 Views)
Teacher

Ummm not to offend Mr. codename but the problem was the "it loads pages very slowly". Even if your router can transfer 100Ghz per second, if your internet is slow then you get the same speed. So the Router behind RG idea is not really a guarantee. And even if your router is fast, if your 2Wire RG will only give it 54Mbps then the result will be the same. Its like a narrow tube and all you did was open up the one end of the tube.

I may be wrong. I am opened for corrections.

Message 9 of 16 (1,362 Views)
Mentor

I noticed that we had to topics going here one about internet speed and other about pc transfer rate ... also when I had my Media Extander connected directly to my RG I couldn't transfer HD Quality Video files straight from my PC to my TV it was giving me a message that there is not enough speed ... once I turned off Wireless transfer on the RG and connected my Dual Band Router 802.11n behind RG and used it as wireless access point I get speeds up to 300Mbps and no more problems with transfering HD Quality files between PC and TV. And yes you are wrong when it comes to Transfer Rate between PC's (I am not talking about Internet Speed) ... like I said if you stop using your RG as wireless transfer access point between PC's and use Dual Band Router you will get speed up to 300Mbps since at that point your RG has nothing to do with transfering files it acts only kind of as a modem ... you using your more powerfull router to do all your wireless file transfering. Of course we are not talking here about your internet speed which will stay the same I am talking about your Wireless Home Network speed

Message Edited by codename78 on 02-16-2010 08:12 PM
Message 10 of 16 (1,362 Views)
Teacher

Sorry codename but I was actualy correct since I am talking about the internet speed to address the author's concern.

And you are not totally correct with PC transfer rate. Not that you are wrong but you just missed something. Even if your access point can transfer 300Mbps you will still get 100Mbps or 54Mbps of speed unless your adapter can handle the 300Mbps speed, like the N standard adapters. To make things simpler, imagine me and you playing catch. Let us say that you are slow with catching. Then here I comes, throwing balls at you in a fast way. You would not be able to catch all my balls. (hahaha). Even if you replace me with a much faster pitcher, you will still not going to grab so many balls. (Bwaahahahaha).

Don't be offended about my example about you grabbin balls. Im just trying to make this conversation lively. You can do the same if you want. :smileywink:

Message 11 of 16 (1,013 Views)
Tutor

Most of everything that everyone else has said is correct regarding 54 vs 300 mb connection speed.  However....  even someone connected at 54 mb should not be experiencing pages loading slowly.  Simple wbe pages should load fairly quickly even at 54 mb.  I don't know why your internet would be slow, but I suspect a faster wireless connection is not going to solve the problem at this point, and some additional trouble shooting of your existing wireless connection is needed before you going throwing new hardware at the problem.

Just my 0.02

Message 12 of 16 (1,013 Views)
Highlighted
Mentor

Re: 3800 gateway wife speed

I didn't mention Adapter since for me it was obvious ... it would be pointless for me to install 300Mbps Access Point and not replace WiFi adapter for all computers with Dual Band N adapters. It would be like some people buying HD 1080p  240Hz TV but not getting HD Package with there Service Provider.

Message 13 of 16 (1,013 Views)
Tutor

There has been alot of discussion on the net about slow web page loading relating to DNS issues in regard to the RG. As for me I have a Mac and when I went to a site that had link errors my browser would hang. For example Apple dot com. I would see the link error in the activity window in red in the Safari browser. I am not sure what the problem actually is, but I did note the hangs on my browser and overall slow web page loading. I have my imac plugged via ethernet into my 2wire RG. Under my network settings that showed the DNS as my router IP. In my case 10.0.0.1. The recommended solution was to type in the actual DNS server addresses, which replaced the 10.0.0.1 with actual DNS addresses. Since I live in the Atlanta region I tried my older Atlanta region AT&T Fast accesses DSL server addresses not the uverse DNS addresses and wow what a difference in site to site browser surfing. It is my understanding that window users can do the same like fix under windows, that is add the DNS server numbers under the networking settings.

R.

Message 14 of 16 (1,013 Views)
Scholar

I'm not sure why this topic seems to be trickling to the top on so many different threads.  I have been looking for a good factual answer - and haven't found it (so I'm going to short hand it...).  There have long been reported performance problems with the 2wire gateway and Mac or other BSD/Linux based computers.  My understanding of the issue is that the 2wire limits the number of near simultaneous DNS requests it will forward / entertain per host (requesting machine). 

A work around is to manually insert the DNS servers into your TCP/IP settins on your machine - typcially Macs seem to have the most common complaints on this.  PCs, especially XP limited the number of simultaneous requests they would make - hence the issue doesn't come up for Windows PC users.

I hope this can be helpful to some. 

As an aside, the AT&T DNS servers are:

68.94.156.1 and

or alternatively, many users like to use OpenDNS's DNS servers (which by default will redirect you away from malware infested web sites - a great security feature!) which are:

208.67.222.222 and

Happy computing!

Message 15 of 16 (1,013 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.