Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Jan 10, 2011
11:25:27 PM
View profile
30 sec fwd skip

I recently moved to uverse from dish network. 

While playing a recording off DVR, if I press skip fwd button, it shows a scan of images and then moves forward( takes about 2 seconds). 

Is there any way to make it instantaneous without showing intermediate frames? 

I am used to instant skip with dish network.

I recently moved to uverse from dish network. 

While playing a recording off DVR, if I press skip fwd button, it shows a scan of images and then moves forward( takes about 2 seconds). 

30 sec fwd skip

21 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(21)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 11, 2011 5:27:17 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

The Forward Skip is what it is.  No way to change it. 

This isn't Direct or Dish.  Let it go.

The Forward Skip is what it is.  No way to change it. 

This isn't Direct or Dish.  Let it go.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: 30 sec fwd skip

2 of 22 (2,025 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 11, 2011 1:33:26 PM
(0)
Teacher

Yeah, former Dish customer here also, just moved to U-verse, was disappointed in the FF in that it does not work like Dish but am getting used to it. What is funny is that the skip back function works just like Dish

Yeah, former Dish customer here also, just moved to U-verse, was disappointed in the FF in that it does not work like Dish but am getting used to it. What is funny is that the skip back function works just like Dish

3 of 22 (1,983 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 11, 2011 1:37:11 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Some people who came from DTV complained because they wanted a smoother variable scan option.  Uverse is what it is, and all of us who choose to stay subs have to adjust.  I had to adjust when I made the switch from Comcast to  DTV.  Such is life with the different service providers.

Some people who came from DTV complained because they wanted a smoother variable scan option.  Uverse is what it is, and all of us who choose to stay subs have to adjust.  I had to adjust when I made the switch from Comcast to  DTV.  Such is life with the different service providers.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 22 (1,978 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 13, 2011 1:03:35 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

I actually like using U-Verse's FF plus "rollback."  I can FF until I see the program resuming and press play and it backtracks to about the last 4 or so seconds of the last ad, before the show comes back on.  

I also agree that each provider's DVR has unique features and unique misses, I suppose, too.  But with copyrights and patented features, some nice features are not going to be on all provider's DVR's.

I actually like using U-Verse's FF plus "rollback."  I can FF until I see the program resuming and press play and it backtracks to about the last 4 or so seconds of the last ad, before the show comes back on.  

I also agree that each provider's DVR has unique features and unique misses, I suppose, too.  But with copyrights and patented features, some nice features are not going to be on all provider's DVR's.

5 of 22 (1,898 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 14, 2011 12:44:45 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

dhascall wrote:

That is why all providers dvrs don't work the same.

dhascall wrote:

That is why all providers dvrs don't work the same.

6 of 22 (1,842 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 14, 2011 4:30:32 PM
(0)
Scholar

dhascall wrote:

I've never used a DVR that didn't do that with FF.    FF though is entirely different from "skip/slip" -- which is why there are two sets of buttons on the remote.   If AT&T can't figure out what people want from the "skip/slip" button, they ought to remove it from the remote.

dhascall wrote:

I've never used a DVR that didn't do that with FF.    FF though is entirely different from "skip/slip" -- which is why there are two sets of buttons on the remote.   If AT&T can't figure out what people want from the "skip/slip" button, they ought to remove it from the remote.

7 of 22 (1,810 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 14, 2011 4:31:56 PM
(0)
Scholar

deepakwa wrote:

No there is not.   The U-Verse button is a 38"-second "slip", not a skip.

deepakwa wrote:

No there is not.   The U-Verse button is a 38"-second "slip", not a skip.

8 of 22 (1,808 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 15, 2011 1:35:13 PM
(0)
Scholar

The reason that DVR's dont all work the same i think they call it copyright protection.  That is one of the reasons why Dish is having the lawsuits with their DVR.

The reason that DVR's dont all work the same i think they call it copyright protection.  That is one of the reasons why Dish is having the lawsuits with their DVR.

9 of 22 (1,737 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 15, 2011 4:56:34 PM
(0)
Mentor

Just push the FF button. Push it once to go slow. Push it two times, thats your 30 second skip. Push it 3 times, better pay attention. Push it 4 times, Opps, show over......Smiley Very Happy

Just push the FF button. Push it once to go slow. Push it two times, thats your 30 second skip. Push it 3 times, better pay attention. Push it 4 times, Opps, show over......Smiley Very Happy

10 of 22 (1,710 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 16, 2011 12:56:48 PM
(0)
Scholar

chuckbuck wrote:

That's a cop-out for any and all unusable features.   DISH is busy with lawsuits because it used actual TiVo code without paying for it.    That's why DISH has lost at every turn.

chuckbuck wrote:

That's a cop-out for any and all unusable features.   DISH is busy with lawsuits because it used actual TiVo code without paying for it.    That's why DISH has lost at every turn.

11 of 22 (1,412 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 16, 2011 3:17:34 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

DISH dvrs work the way they do, DTV work the way they do, Comcast work the way they do, Uverse work the way they do, etc etc etc.  If DVR is a big enough issue find out which one you like best.  And sign up for that service provider.  Just a thought.

DISH dvrs work the way they do, DTV work the way they do, Comcast work the way they do, Uverse work the way they do, etc etc etc.  If DVR is a big enough issue find out which one you like best.  And sign up for that service provider.  Just a thought.

12 of 22 (1,392 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 17, 2011 6:26:47 AM
(0)
Guru

athenian wrote:

Not exactly true. Under the doctrine of equivalents, you no longer have to prove that code was copied to show the method was copied. (Patent courts are too lazy to examine code.) The TiVo decision has completely intimidated DVR manufacturers.

athenian wrote:

Not exactly true. Under the doctrine of equivalents, you no longer have to prove that code was copied to show the method was copied. (Patent courts are too lazy to examine code.) The TiVo decision has completely intimidated DVR manufacturers.

13 of 22 (1,358 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 17, 2011 7:15:23 AM
(0)
Scholar

RCSMG wrote:

Umm...the 4 stream/whole house DVR is the highlight of AT&T's marketing.  The skip button on the remote gives the impression that it does what every other known DVR does (skip or slip 30 sec.)  If it doesn't, it's up to AT&T to let customers know before they buy.   Better yet, would be for AT&T develop features that correspond with customer expectations.

RCSMG wrote:

Umm...the 4 stream/whole house DVR is the highlight of AT&T's marketing.  The skip button on the remote gives the impression that it does what every other known DVR does (skip or slip 30 sec.)  If it doesn't, it's up to AT&T to let customers know before they buy.   Better yet, would be for AT&T develop features that correspond with customer expectations.

14 of 22 (1,349 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 17, 2011 9:33:11 AM
(0)
Guru

The 38" vs 30" slip/skip was the least of my concerns. If this unforgivable feature had been listed in bold type on the TOS I would have been suspicious.

The 38" vs 30" slip/skip was the least of my concerns. If this unforgivable feature had been listed in bold type on the TOS I would have been suspicious.

15 of 22 (1,330 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 17, 2011 1:37:01 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

athenian wrote:

RCSMG wrote:

I've never seen that ATT implied that the ff skip button worked like every other dvr does.  I am not saying that you didn't read this in your documentation.  I got Uverse in December 2007, so they could have added this sometime between then and now.

athenian wrote:

RCSMG wrote:

I've never seen that ATT implied that the ff skip button worked like every other dvr does.  I am not saying that you didn't read this in your documentation.  I got Uverse in December 2007, so they could have added this sometime between then and now.

16 of 22 (1,290 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 19, 2011 10:23:58 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

athenian wrote:

dhascall wrote:

Comcast's DVR for one did not have such a rollback feature (though they may by now).  When I hit PLAY while it was in FF, that is where it played from.  I got very good at "guessing" what was the last commercial in a string was but still I had to REW on almost all ad strings not to miss the first few seconds of the show. 

athenian wrote:

dhascall wrote:

Comcast's DVR for one did not have such a rollback feature (though they may by now).  When I hit PLAY while it was in FF, that is where it played from.  I got very good at "guessing" what was the last commercial in a string was but still I had to REW on almost all ad strings not to miss the first few seconds of the show. 

17 of 22 (1,242 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 19, 2011 10:28:41 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

athenian wrote:

RCSMG wrote:

So I guess what you are saying, is that they haven't?  (sarcasm on/off in case one did not notice)  I for one think that they have developed features that correspond fairly well with my expectations.  If not with yours, it is a free market to go elsewhere.

No one provider is perfect - or else we would all be there.  

athenian wrote:

RCSMG wrote:

So I guess what you are saying, is that they haven't?  (sarcasm on/off in case one did not notice)  I for one think that they have developed features that correspond fairly well with my expectations.  If not with yours, it is a free market to go elsewhere.

No one provider is perfect - or else we would all be there.  

18 of 22 (1,240 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 19, 2011 1:59:22 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

I liked the DTV dvr much better than the Uverse dvr, but now that I have Uverse I make it work for me.  The one thing I like about Uverse dvr that surpasses all of the DTV dvr features is being able to record up to 4 programs at the same time.  Others may not be satisfied.  It is a good thing we are not bound by law to one specific service provider.

I liked the DTV dvr much better than the Uverse dvr, but now that I have Uverse I make it work for me.  The one thing I like about Uverse dvr that surpasses all of the DTV dvr features is being able to record up to 4 programs at the same time.  Others may not be satisfied.  It is a good thing we are not bound by law to one specific service provider.

19 of 22 (1,213 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 19, 2011 3:04:32 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

RCSMG wrote:

Some folks must think that they are.  They complain about the service ad nauseum and they say "I'm gonna switch," "I'm gonna switch," "I'm gonna switch," but they don't, they just continue to ...... complain. Smiley Tongue

RCSMG wrote:

Some folks must think that they are.  They complain about the service ad nauseum and they say "I'm gonna switch," "I'm gonna switch," "I'm gonna switch," but they don't, they just continue to ...... complain. Smiley Tongue

20 of 22 (1,201 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 19, 2011 5:16:51 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

dhascall wrote:

RCSMG wrote:

One big reason for that is because it is easier to complain than change for some people.Smiley Surprised

dhascall wrote:

RCSMG wrote:

One big reason for that is because it is easier to complain than change for some people.Smiley Surprised

21 of 22 (1,132 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 19, 2011 5:42:35 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Edited by texasguy37 on Jan 19, 2011 at 5:43:00 PM

Some people just like to complain.  They have no intention of switching to another provider.

Some people just like to complain.  They have no intention of switching to another provider.

[ Edited ]
22 of 22 (1,124 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments