2WireRealtime.exe

Expert

2WireRealtime.exe

I released 2WireMRTG.exe yesterday, to allow MRTG to get statistics off the 2Wire 3800HGV router.  That release was in this thread.

I realize that many people cannot set up MRTG because they don't have a server to run it on, or would not want to go through the hassle of that much configuration.  I therefore am releasing this tool, 2WireRealtime.exe, which is a stand-alone application to view data rates and information from the U-Verse RG.  This program will not graph trends over time nor store data, but it will give instantaneous snapshots of activity on the RG.

This program is very easy to use, just download and double-click.  The program does the rest.  There is no installer, no registry entries are made.

There is an extensive ReadMe file that explains all the particulars of the statistics that are displayed.

Note: This program REQUIRES RG firmware v6.1.9.24 (the newer version rolling out now).  It will not work if your RG is currently running the older firmware (v5.29.105.94).

The program is downloadable from here.

Message 1 of 105 (85,322 Views)
Highlighted
Mentor

Re: 2WireRealtime.exe

Hey, quick question, does the 2WireRealtime show just converter to converter on the HPNA, or does it also show converter to gateway and so forth?

Message 91 of 105 (1,168 Views)
Expert

SlowDelSol wrote:

Hey, quick question, does the 2WireRealtime show just converter to converter on the HPNA, or does it also show converter to gateway and so forth?

It shows both directions, from RG -> STB, and from STB -> RG.

Station ID 1 is usually the RG.  In wiltshp's post above, you can see in the the first two lines that the RG is station ID 1, communicating to 2 STBs, station IDs 2 and 3.  The next 2 lines are the communication links from the STBs to the RG.

There are direct STB to STB links that are used for THDVR, but the RG does not know about them, and therefore can't give statistics on them.  However, if all upstream and downstream links to/from the RG to all STBs are showing 112 on the PHY rate, you can infer that the coax drops to each STB don't have any problems, and thus the STB to STB links should also be OK.

Message 92 of 105 (1,168 Views)
Mentor

Gotcha, Just wondering. Thanks for the info.

Message 93 of 105 (1,168 Views)
Teacher

Hello,

I just got u-verse and my uverse router has a v 5 firmware.. how do i get the new one?

Message 94 of 105 (1,168 Views)
ACE - Expert

Should download automatically in a few days. :smileywink:

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
1-800-983-2811 to avoid Mr. Voice Recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 95 of 105 (1,168 Views)
Expert

soljarag wrote:

Hello,

I just got u-verse and my uverse router has a v 5 firmware.. how do i get the new one?

If you want to download it now, hold down the "Reset" button in the back of the RG for about 20 seconds and release.  When the RG reboots, the latest version of the software should download.

Message 96 of 105 (1,169 Views)
Expert

texasguy37 wrote:

soljarag wrote:

Hello,

If you want to download it now, hold down the "Reset" button in the back of the RG for about 20 seconds and release.  When the RG reboots, the latest version of the software should download.

Did they activate that button?  The last time I talked to a csr about resetting the rg they said that button didn't do anything.  I had to unplug the ac cable from the rg for about 30 seconds to do a complete hard reset.

Message 97 of 105 (1,169 Views)
Expert

RCSMG wrote:

Did they activate that button?  The last time I talked to a csr about resetting the rg they said that button didn't do anything.  I had to unplug the ac cable from the rg for about 30 seconds to do a complete hard reset. 

The small reset button on the the back of the RG has worked in the year plus that I have had U-verse.  As far as I know, it has always worked.

Message 98 of 105 (1,169 Views)
Expert

I will try it the next time I need to reset the rg.  There was a time when it didn't work.  It has been over a year and a half when I was told that by a csr though.  So things could have changed.  Up until recently I was suggesting that when people needed to reset the rg to unplug the ac cable and then reconnect it.  Learn something new everyday.

Message 99 of 105 (1,169 Views)
Expert

RCSMG wrote:

I will try it the next time I need to reset the rg.  There was a time when it didn't work.  It has been over a year and a half when I was told that by a csr though.  So things could have changed.  Up until recently I was suggesting that when people needed to reset the rg to unplug the ac cable and then reconnect it.  Learn something new everyday.

That is the correct procedure to do a hard reboot of the RG.  This IS NOT the same as a reset of RG by holding down the small reset button which takes it back to the factory default settings. 

A reset is something you normally would not want to do because you will have to re-enter any customized settings for the RG (i.e. password, wireless network settings, etc.).  However, sometimes a reset to factory defaults may be necessary.  A reset will download the latest version of the RG software.

Message 100 of 105 (1,169 Views)
Expert

RC, I think you're thinking about the one-touch config button on the front.  That button never did anything with the older 5.x firmware, but I think with the 6.x firmware it might actually work now.

The small reset button on the back has always worked to restore factory defaults.

Message 101 of 105 (981 Views)
Expert

You both are right.  I forgot about the button to do the soft boot of the rg.  I have used that before.  And the button on the front of the rg was the one the rep told me didn't do anything.  Although last week my rg was losing the service connection quite frequently.  I am glad I got it resolved before the last LOST episode.  Some of my recordings were pretty bad.  I had to watch some of them online and others in VOD.

Message 102 of 105 (981 Views)
Teacher

Hey SomeJoe,

Just an idea - and it might already have been suggested before - would be if the program could have a tab that lists all devices that the RG has given out an IP to and if possible, what the device is.  Again, sorry if it has been suggested before, I did not get a chance to read the whole thread yet.

Chris

Message 103 of 105 (981 Views)
Mentor

You can go into the RG and look under home network and see what devices are connected. Most of the time the STBs show the IPs, not the names. You can change the IP to a name, but it is not advised. I was told that if you put a name in, it will sometimes show that box as a pc, and it will not get updates that it should. I dont know if SomeJoes program has the feature to do that, but I (not being a programer) wouldnt think it would be hard to do since the RG has that info.

Message 104 of 105 (981 Views)
Teacher

Dan,

Thank you for a great peice of software. I do use to check on things before calling AT&T U-verse support.  Donation will be soon on its way. oh, ya!! thanks for updating the software too!!

Message 105 of 105 (801 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.