2WireRealtime.exe

Expert

2WireRealtime.exe

I released 2WireMRTG.exe yesterday, to allow MRTG to get statistics off the 2Wire 3800HGV router.  That release was in this thread.

I realize that many people cannot set up MRTG because they don't have a server to run it on, or would not want to go through the hassle of that much configuration.  I therefore am releasing this tool, 2WireRealtime.exe, which is a stand-alone application to view data rates and information from the U-Verse RG.  This program will not graph trends over time nor store data, but it will give instantaneous snapshots of activity on the RG.

This program is very easy to use, just download and double-click.  The program does the rest.  There is no installer, no registry entries are made.

There is an extensive ReadMe file that explains all the particulars of the statistics that are displayed.

Note: This program REQUIRES RG firmware v6.1.9.24 (the newer version rolling out now).  It will not work if your RG is currently running the older firmware (v5.29.105.94).

The program is downloadable from here.

Message 1 of 105 (85,344 Views)
Voyager

Re: 2WireRealtime.exe

Any idea what this is about?

Message 46 of 105 (107,426 Views)
Master

yes

Message 47 of 105 (107,426 Views)
Expert

jp1tx,

Your connection is FTTP, not VDSL.  This means you have fiber to the premises, right at the side of your house.

FTTP connections do not have a profile, sync rate, or errors, thus this information is not displayed for you.

(Technically, you do have a profile, generally 30 Mbps/6 Mbps, but that is determined by the fiber equipment being used by AT&T, and is not available or changeable from the RG).

Message 48 of 105 (107,426 Views)
Teacher

it looks like a cool program. i just got uverse install today, and i was looking and i only have the  5.29.135.47, i live in Oklahoma city and i wanted to know if or when will i get the new  6.1.9.23. is  6.1.9.23 out in all areas or is it still being rolled out.

Message 49 of 105 (107,426 Views)
ACE - Expert

No, .24 will be downloaded soon cause .23 was buggy. :smileywink:

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
1-800-983-2811 to avoid Mr. Voice Recognition
I Call It Like I See It, Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 50 of 105 (107,426 Views)
Expert

travis77 wrote:

it looks like a cool program. i just got uverse install today, and i was looking and i only have the  5.29.135.47, i live in Oklahoma city and i wanted to know if or when will i get the new  6.1.9.23. is  6.1.9.23 out in all areas or is it still being rolled out.

The current firmware version is 6.1.9.24.  If you just got U-Verse and are still on 5.29.135.47, your RG will automatically update.  It may take a few days or more, but once it's updated, you can use 2WireRealtime.exe.

Message 51 of 105 (107,304 Views)
Teacher

thanks, if it does not update in a few days can i call them and ask for the update or do i have to wait.

Message 52 of 105 (107,304 Views)
Scholar

Excellant tool !!!!! Please keep up the good work.

Message 53 of 105 (107,304 Views)
Expert

v1.1.0.0 of 2WireRealtime.exe is released.  Download available here.

New features:

• Changed form size to accomodate smaller screens, such as 1024x600 on Netbooks.
  • Changed to tabbed interface. Moved bitloading graph into tab, moved about information into tab. Moved interface data rates into its own tab.
  • Changed font color for warning-type highlighting to gold to increase contrast on Windows Vista/7 background.
  • Added Bit Allocation Analysis section.
  • Add hide personal information configuration item.
  • Add automatic update and auto-update preference configuration item.
  • Add save screenshot functionality.
  • Change data collection to multithreaded call so that user interface doesn't freeze during data collection.

Please report any bugs -- with the auto-update feature, I can now push updates out more quickly.

Message 54 of 105 (107,304 Views)
ACE - Expert

A great upgade SomeJoe!  One question about reserve bits; which seems to be the difference of max bits minus allocated bits.  The wording in the Read Me is a little confusing:

Reserve Bits: This is the number of available bits on the VDSL line that are not allocated, but could be allocated if necessary.  For a properly functioning line, the reserve bits must be greater than zero, and preferably 5% greater than the number of bits required for the assigned profile.

What value should my 4769 or your 1879 be preferably 5% greater than?:smileysurprised:

Chris

Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 55 of 105 (107,304 Views)
Expert

I put a 5% buffer there because the line rate can change slightly depending on conditions.

For example, say your reserve bits are very small, only 1-2% of the allocated bits.  This would mean that the max bits was only a very small amount greater than the allocated bits.

Well, suppose then that a neighbor gets U-Verse who didn't have it before, or someone in the neighborhood gets ADSL.  These things would slightly increase the noise/interference, and would reduce the max rate slightly, which would also reduce the reserve bits.

In this case, the reserve bits could fall less than zero, which makes the line unstable because the currently assigned profile can't actually be carried.  The bits in use at that point would be 100%, and line capacity would be >80%.

Thus, I believe a 5% reserve bits margin is enough to continue to provide a stable line should line conditions change.

My 1879 is far greater than 5% of the allocated bits (0.05 * 9332) = 466 bits, and yours is far greater than that.

The reserve bits will highlight in gold if it is less than 5% of the allocated bits (i.e. bits in use > 95%).

Message 56 of 105 (107,304 Views)
ACE - Expert

The wording would be easier to comprehend if: "preferably greater than 5% of the allocated bits".  I would've had no question with this wording. 

Reserve Bits: This is the number of available bits on the VDSL line that are not allocated, but could be allocated if necessary.  For a properly functioning line, the reserve bits must be greater than zero, and preferably 5% greater than the number of bits required for the assigned profile.

The way you worded it, seemed the reserve should be 5% more than my 9390 allocated bits for a total of reserve bits of 9860.   :smileyvery-happy:

Chris

Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Message 57 of 105 (107,304 Views)
Expert

Ah, I understand.  Ya, I can re-word that in the ReadMe.

Edit: Done, new .zip file available.  I decided not to push this through the auto-update because I have to bump the version number of the 2WireRealtime.exe to do that, and I'd rather do that only for more involved updates.

Message 58 of 105 (107,304 Views)
Contributor

Joe,

Great program. So much better than having

to dig thru the RG screens.

Numbers are a great thing to have BUT;

Is there any way you can show in your readme

file a range of  "GOOD BETTER BEST" values

so that we don't have to get to deep into

the subject of the fields that you provide?

EXAMPLE; 

GOOD         BETTER        BEST

Power Level          nn-nn            nn-nn          nn-nn

Message 59 of 105 (107,304 Views)
Highlighted
Professor

Wow!  Wish I still had U-verse now to try this out.  I can remember back when we were fiddling around with MRTG and getting it to work, this looks really cool though.

Great job!

Message 60 of 105 (107,304 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.