Posted Feb 6, 2011
7:11:02 AM
View profile
2Wire i38HG ATT modem...where is the internet connected??

I have TV, Phone and Internet services thru ATT U-Verse.

One thing has always puzzled me.  On the 2Wire i38HG ATT modem, how is it connect to the internet??

If I look in the back, I see four wires connected:

1)  Phone wire

2)  Coaxial cable to PC #1

3)  Coaxial cable to PC #2

4)  Power cable connected to an electrical outlet.

There is no incoming coaxial cable connection to the internet.  How is the data getting to and from the internet?  :smileysurprised:

Thanks for helping me figure that out!! 

Rick

I have TV, Phone and Internet services thru ATT U-Verse.

One thing has always puzzled me.  On the 2Wire i38HG ATT modem, how is it connect to the internet??

If I look in the back, I see four wires connected:

1)  Phone wire

2)  Coaxial cable to PC #1

3)  Coaxial cable to PC #2

4)  Power cable connected to an electrical outlet.

There is no incoming coaxial cable connection to the internet.  How is the data getting to and from the internet?  :smileysurprised:

Thanks for helping me figure that out!! 

Rick

2Wire i38HG ATT modem...where is the internet connected??

5 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
View all replies
(5)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 6, 2011 7:45:14 AM
(0)
Expert

The i38HG connects via the phone line back to the i3812V on the outside of your house.

The i38HG connects via the phone line back to the i3812V on the outside of your house.

Re: 2Wire i38HG ATT modem...where is the internet connected??

2 of 6 (1,485 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 6, 2011 8:20:32 AM
(0)
Teacher

Thru the phone line?

On my previous post you mentioned I had serious interference that degraded my download speed.   Would the phone line then be the one to check for interference?

And... how can they push 12mb/s thru this tiny wire? 

Thanks again,

Rick

Thru the phone line?

On my previous post you mentioned I had serious interference that degraded my download speed.   Would the phone line then be the one to check for interference?

And... how can they push 12mb/s thru this tiny wire? 

Thanks again,

Rick

3 of 6 (1,473 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 6, 2011 9:05:59 AM
(0)
Expert

Yes, the phone wire is using HPNA.  HPNA over phone wire can carry approximately 112 Mbps.

No, the interference is not on this line, it is on the line from the VRAD to the i3812V on the outside of your house.

Yes, the phone wire is using HPNA.  HPNA over phone wire can carry approximately 112 Mbps.

No, the interference is not on this line, it is on the line from the VRAD to the i3812V on the outside of your house.

4 of 6 (1,460 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 6, 2011 10:19:42 AM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by Rick67 on Feb 6, 2011 at 10:26:07 AM

I Googled VRAD and figured out what it was.  Then I saw your other post where you said:

"1. It can vary between 2500 and 3500 feet.  People at the edges of the distance limitation frequently can only get service that gives them 1 stream of HD programming instead of the normal 2 streams."

That's us...we are on the edge...we only get 1 HD stream even though they promised us 2 when we signed up.

For those with the same problem with getting only 1 stream of HD, call ATT and tell them you want them to give you a $10 credit each month you don't get 2 HD streams.  The will do that.

Thanks,

Rick

I Googled VRAD and figured out what it was.  Then I saw your other post where you said:

"1. It can vary between 2500 and 3500 feet.  People at the edges of the distance limitation frequently can only get service that gives them 1 stream of HD programming instead of the normal 2 streams."

That's us...we are on the edge...we only get 1 HD stream even though they promised us 2 when we signed up.

For those with the same problem with getting only 1 stream of HD, call ATT and tell them you want them to give you a $10 credit each month you don't get 2 HD streams.  The will do that.

Thanks,

Rick

[ Edited ]
5 of 6 (1,442 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 6, 2011 10:25:07 AM
(0)
Master

Rick67 wrote:

I only speak English!  :smileywink:

What is a VRAD?

And what is the i3812V?  Is this the battery backup?

I really appreciate your time and help!  You are a great resource for customers with frustrating problems!

Thanks,

Rick

Rick67 wrote:

I only speak English!  :smileywink:

What is a VRAD?

And what is the i3812V?  Is this the battery backup?

I really appreciate your time and help!  You are a great resource for customers with frustrating problems!

Thanks,

Rick

6 of 6 (1,437 Views)