Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Jan 15, 2009
9:44:38 AM
View profile
2Wire - Wireless signal booster?

My RG and office are both on the second floor of my house, but I am running an extra desktop downstairs.  The wireless signal does reach the downstairs PC, but is to slow do do much more than a Google search.  Are there any signal boosters that are compatible with he 2Wire RG?

Thanks for the assist!

My RG and office are both on the second floor of my house, but I am running an extra desktop downstairs.  The wireless signal does reach the downstairs PC, but is to slow do do much more than a Google search.  Are there any signal boosters that are compatible with he 2Wire RG?

Thanks for the assist!

2Wire - Wireless signal booster?

9 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(9)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 15, 2009 10:20:24 AM
(0)
Explorer
since the wireless is internal to the gateway, there is nothing you can do there other than make sure the power output is at 10... since you have a desktop, if you have a PCI wireless card in it, you can buy a high gain antenna to attach and get better signal.  If it is a USB adapter, you might want to think about getting a USB extention cable and move it closer to the RG.
since the wireless is internal to the gateway, there is nothing you can do there other than make sure the power output is at 10... since you have a desktop, if you have a PCI wireless card in it, you can buy a high gain antenna to attach and get better signal.  If it is a USB adapter, you might want to think about getting a USB extention cable and move it closer to the RG.

Re: 2Wire - Wireless signal booster?

2 of 10 (20,525 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 15, 2009 11:41:10 AM
(0)
Guru

One way I know works for sure:  Buy a router compatible with DD-WRT and install it.   Enable Repeater Bridge mode.

Doing this will reduce your throughput by half (as any single radio wifi repeater will).   But if you're just looking to extend your wifi internet access, it works nicely.

Be careful with the off-the-shelf extenders like the Linksys WRE-54G.   I think they expect the connected router to be WDS compatible, which I don't think the AT&T RG is.

One way I know works for sure:  Buy a router compatible with DD-WRT and install it.   Enable Repeater Bridge mode.

Doing this will reduce your throughput by half (as any single radio wifi repeater will).   But if you're just looking to extend your wifi internet access, it works nicely.

Be careful with the off-the-shelf extenders like the Linksys WRE-54G.   I think they expect the connected router to be WDS compatible, which I don't think the AT&T RG is.

3 of 10 (20,525 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 15, 2009 12:17:54 PM
(0)
Master

JHebs wrote:

Thanks for the assist!

If your talking about gaming, you'll probably want to ditch the wireless connection altogether and bite the bullet and run CAT5e cable.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

JHebs wrote:

Thanks for the assist!

If your talking about gaming, you'll probably want to ditch the wireless connection altogether and bite the bullet and run CAT5e cable.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

neon_sign.jpg

4 of 10 (20,525 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 15, 2009 2:15:42 PM
(0)
Master

do u have a stb/dvr in the same room ??

if u are u on a coax install for that device........

u may run a cat5 ethernet cable form desktop over to the dv/stb and hook in that way....

some have good success running bridged off the coax stb/dvr  hpna circuit...    ymmv

also >>>>>>>>>       http://utalk.att.com/utalk/board/message?board.id=Uverse_TV_Equipment&message.id=19013#M19013

a thought

randy

Message Edited by randyl on 01-15-2009 04:17 PM

do u have a stb/dvr in the same room ??

if u are u on a coax install for that device........

u may run a cat5 ethernet cable form desktop over to the dv/stb and hook in that way....

some have good success running bridged off the coax stb/dvr  hpna circuit...    ymmv

also >>>>>>>>>       http://utalk.att.com/utalk/board/message?board.id=Uverse_TV_Equipment&message.id=19013#M19013

a thought

randy

Message Edited by randyl on 01-15-2009 04:17 PM

5 of 10 (20,525 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 16, 2009 6:40:34 AM
(0)
Contributor
Thansk Randyl,  I'll give that a shot this weekend.  The PC is actually hooked up to the same TV as my DVR, so running a cable would not be any trouble.  Hopefully that will be a nice and easy fix for me.
Message Edited by JHebs on 01-16-2009 08:41 AM
Thansk Randyl,  I'll give that a shot this weekend.  The PC is actually hooked up to the same TV as my DVR, so running a cable would not be any trouble.  Hopefully that will be a nice and easy fix for me.
Message Edited by JHebs on 01-16-2009 08:41 AM

6 of 10 (20,525 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 19, 2009 2:03:54 PM
(0)
Contributor

"since the wireless is internal to the gateway, there is nothing you can do there other than make sure the power output is at 10."

Is it possible to check and/or change the power output on the RG?

Thanx!

"since the wireless is internal to the gateway, there is nothing you can do there other than make sure the power output is at 10."

Is it possible to check and/or change the power output on the RG?

Thanx!

7 of 10 (20,525 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 19, 2009 3:30:28 PM
(0)
Contributor

I cant believe it was that simple.  For a year and a half I've been dealing with a bairly crawling wireless connection, and an external hard drive going back and forth from my office to the TV. 

Connected the cat5 cable from RG to PC as Randyl suggested and it's working like a charm.  Gracias! 

I cant believe it was that simple.  For a year and a half I've been dealing with a bairly crawling wireless connection, and an external hard drive going back and forth from my office to the TV. 

Connected the cat5 cable from RG to PC as Randyl suggested and it's working like a charm.  Gracias! 

8 of 10 (20,525 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 2, 2010 4:58:06 AM
(0)
Teacher

Can you tell me HOW to determine the power output, and how to change it? (I am assuming you are talking about the 2Wire all-in-one box, right?)

Thanks,

Frank

Can you tell me HOW to determine the power output, and how to change it? (I am assuming you are talking about the 2Wire all-in-one box, right?)

Thanks,

Frank

9 of 10 (20,525 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 11, 2010 9:36:35 PM
(0)
Contributor

I have AT&T DSL and they gave me/installed a 2wire Gateway modem which works fine.  I bought a Samsung TV and Blue Ray Player to be able to receive Netflix streaming movies.  I was instructed to purchase a LAN stick to hook into the back of my Blue Ray which I did.  Still the distance is too far from the modem.

What kind of device should i purchase so that I can get the movies?

Do I need more than one?

Appreciate your help = I am a 77 year old disabled veteran.

I have AT&T DSL and they gave me/installed a 2wire Gateway modem which works fine.  I bought a Samsung TV and Blue Ray Player to be able to receive Netflix streaming movies.  I was instructed to purchase a LAN stick to hook into the back of my Blue Ray which I did.  Still the distance is too far from the modem.

What kind of device should i purchase so that I can get the movies?

Do I need more than one?

Appreciate your help = I am a 77 year old disabled veteran.

10 of 10 (20,525 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments