2 PCs, one loses connection daily the other doesn't

Contributor

2 PCs, one loses connection daily the other doesn't

Please help! I have 2 PC's, both are on a 2wire wireless adaptor provided by Uverse. One is Vista and never loses its connection even after rebooting but the other is an older PC with XP. Everytime I reboot this one, it loses the wireless network and I always have to put in the key to connect to my network. Is there a way of keeping the key in? I'm also thinking of upgrading this PC to a Vista. Thanks!
Message 1 of 5 (800 Views)
Master

Re: 2 PCs, one loses connection daily the other doesn't

What Are Preferred Networks?

In the Wireless Networks tab, you can build a set of so-called "Preferred" networks when automatic wireless configuration is active. This list represents a set of known Wi-Fi routers or access points you wish to automatically connect to in future. You can "Add" new networks to this list by specifying the network name (SSID) and appropriate security settings of each.

The order Preferred networks are listed here determines the order that Windows XP will automatically attempt when seeking to make a wireless / Internet connection. You can set this order to your preference, with the limitation that all infrastructure mode networks must appear ahead of all ad hoc mode networks in the Preferred list.

Message 2 of 5 (800 Views)
Expert

Randy is right...again! :smileywink:
Message 3 of 5 (800 Views)
Mentor

Randy is correct!  If you have a neighbor with a wireless router running, XP will sometimes try to attach to that router instead of yours!  ( had that problem on one of my machines running XP).  You can also tell XP to not attach to a certain network as well as which network is the preferred one.
Message 4 of 5 (800 Views)
Highlighted
Expert

I had the same problem witha wireless laptop here.  The lap top was seeing my neighbors wireless comcast signal, my 2 wire, and another neighbors 2 wire.  And it kept defaulting to the Comcast.  I set it to see my network only and the problem was solved.
Message 5 of 5 (800 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.