Need help with your equipment?
inbox4greg's profile

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

Saturday, August 20th, 2016 12:28 AM

low SNR, high FEC's, High CRC's... Standalone Internet, NVG599

Hello.  This probably won't be the first message of this sort you've read.

Basically, unreliable connection, SNR flips from 4 to 12 (12 is good-4 drops connection).  lots of CRC errors (as high as 5015 in a 6 hour period), FEC errors as high as 10 million in the same 6 hour period).... Browsing is slow.

Now mind you, the profile for this account is setup on the 3MB connection. We are a ways away from the local crossbox "dslam"...

A lineman has already been here once, and did see one issue at the pole.  I did reboot the modem yesterday to "re-sync" the modem, and SNR went back up to 12.4 which is the best ever.  There were very few FEC's and no CRC's over a 12 hour period.

Browsing was snappy, and speeds up to 3.4mbps... GREAT!  I thought someone had actually made some correction somewhere.

Next day, comes all the errors I spoke aboive in paragraph 2.

I am not sure of the actual distance we are from the local dslam, but I know its pushing it.  Strange thing is, there is no consistency.  One day, service is great (12.4SNR, no errors), next day its so low its went into SNR 4.0, then the connection gets slow and drops.

So, it service is great one day, how can it be so awful the next day? 

Extememly frustrating.  I am still in my 30 days of new service, and it this can't get resolved, it will surely result in a cancellation.

Is there anyway you can attach this note to my ACTUAL account, where a tech can access it.  The last tech support I called on 8/19 wasn't even familiar with what terms like SNR, FEC, and CRC were.  All he wanted to do is reboot the modem, and said he updated the modem 'software', which he didn't because I had it printed out before I called, and it was the same version after he "supposedly" updated it.

If this requires another lineman out to diagnose the issue, I welcome it......If the issue is distance related, service should have never been offered.

thank youlowsnr.jpgcrc_high.jpg

2 Attachments

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

8 years ago

Got a repair appointment scheduled........I hope this is a "lineman", and not a regular tech....

the issue is most likely on the line (aerial).

Hopefully, they will consider putting me on another "pair" as the last tech suggested.  Would seem like the most likely troubleshooting step, instead of trying to find out what's the issue with the current setup.

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

8 years ago

On a new pair. Lets see how this goes when it rains. Good for now. Low fec's and no crc's.newpair.jpg

1 Attachment

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.