For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help with your equipment?
md_sanjose's profile

Mentor

• 

70 Messages

Friday, January 16th, 2015 6:15 AM

Why is FTTP (or FTTH) in my community limited to only 24 megabit internet?

I was a bit surprised when I moved recently that my new home, with fiber to the home, is limited to 24 megabit internet, but the old house, on a really long, copper loop, with pair bonding, can get the power tier?  That seems borderline nonsensical.  What gives?

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

9 years ago

@md_sanjose wrote:

I was a bit surprised when I moved recently that my new home, with fiber to the home, is limited to 24 megabit internet, but the old house, on a really long, copper loop, with pair bonding, can get the power tier?  That seems borderline nonsensical.  What gives?

Recently FTTP was limited to 18M internet, so consider yourself lucky it's raised to 24M.

That's just what ATT has figured out to do on fibre to the pedestal.  😉

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

ACE - Expert

• 

35.1K Messages

9 years ago

@md_sanjose wrote:

There are two different fiber technologies in use by AT&T: BPON and GPON.  BPON was used in their early fiber projects and is being replaced by GPON.  If your home has a BPON ONT, then you're limited to 24 Mbps HSI.

If your area supports GPON, then you can disconnect your account and have them install a GPON ONT and get Power.  Then there's the few isolated areas getting Gigapower.

Mentor

• 

70 Messages

9 years ago

My guess is that it's BPON.  I have fiber to the premises (not the pedestal, as someone pointed out) -- but with Gigapower being rolled out I'm assuming the issue is waiting for the upgrade to come through the area and a new ONT?

Mentor

• 

44 Messages

8 years ago

I have this same problem.  Our neighborhood was wired with Fiber to the Home by SBC's Project Lightspeed.  We've had U-verse since around 2008.  Yet we are only able to get 18Mbps and recently, 24.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.