Need help with your equipment?
kcarpenter's profile

Mentor

• 

54 Messages

Wednesday, October 9th, 2013 12:10 AM

Uverse Lag or Latency Issue

I've had several techs out over the past few weeks to figure out what is going on.  I can't play any online game anymore. Speedtest and pingtests checkout.  Ports are forwarded properly.  I get connected and shortly lag out and get kicked from the server.  Anyone got any ideas?

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

10 years ago

@Jessme1889 wrote:

The AT&T <<insert-any-consumer-ISP-name-here>> connection problems are pretty widespread right now. People with low latency and/or high bandwidth requirements are seeing the most noticeable problems.

Here's a thread over at Twitch where users are saying they can no longer stream video over their Uverse connections.

http://help.twitch.tv/customer/portal/questions/1119838-streams-stuttering-despite-high-speedtest-have-called-isp-

The one workaround a user found was to use a VPN connection. I'm not entirely sure why that would be effective other than someone, either AT&T (although their techs say they haven't) or an outside party is somehow interfering with connections which seen't VPN enabled. I guess that would be bandwidth throttling but not too sure as I don't understand networking too well.

I guess people could try VPNing into game servers too, if that's even possible. But in addition to that, according to the Twitch poster, I think you also have to use the correct DNS servers. 

Fwiw.  I have a friend who is currently having problems with her Uverse and streaming videos is why I decided to join and post here. 

Fixed that for you.

Twitch is experiencing issues similar to Netflix, Youtube, etc., etc.  A large amount of traffic is attempting to enter into consumer ISP's networks through a connection that cannot handle the load.

Using the VPN reroutes that traffic and makes it enter through a less congested connection (at least until a significant number of AT&T users pick the same VPN service and start doing the same thing).

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

Uh no, this seems to be only AT&T customers. I have a friend who has a competetors isp and is experiencing no issues. His speed/package is no where near close to mine. I find it hard to believe that we are playing the same game, to the same server, in the same city/basically next door, and the only difference is our connection and hes just fine.

I get random package loss to google for crying out loud but Guild Wars 2 seems to be affected by this the worse. Feel free to check out their tech support forums guru, most of them have the same uverse connection as well. For the price I'm paying for mine, this is ridiculous.

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

10 years ago

From a sample of two you are ready to make sweeping statements?

"Random package loss to google"?  Can you explain what you mean by this and how you measured it?

Maybe you have connection issues?

Mentor

• 

54 Messages

10 years ago

Well about a month ago we got fixed finally turns out there was a routing issue  somewhere down the pipe or thats what I was told.  Anyway took 3 months to fix and 2 months of that was getting ATT to actually believe there was a problem in this small town.

Voyager

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

@JefferMC wrote:
Using the VPN reroutes that traffic and makes it enter through a less congested connection (at least until a significant number of AT&T users pick the same VPN service and start doing the same thing).

OR

It's somehow avoiding a poorly placed throttle. Oh yeah, it's tinfoil hat time.

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

10 years ago

If they have them in your size, feel free to put one on.  Maybe it'll help.

BTW, that (a) some subscribers have also found that changing their DNS to get to different servers, which causes the traffic to be routed differently, and (b) other subscribers have no issues at all, leads one to believe that it's not deliberate traffic shaping.

Voyager

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

I am also having the same issues with gaming and when I do my tracert there would be either request times out or the delay time would go into the 200-400ms. I posted somewhere on this forum a copy of the results. Weird thing is when I first activated Uverse the gaming was fine, now it's completely unplayable.

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

10 years ago

@johnchen wrote:
I am also having the same issues with gaming and when I do my tracert there would be either request times out or the delay time would go into the 200-400ms. I posted somewhere on this forum a copy of the results. Weird thing is when I first activated Uverse the gaming was fine, now it's completely unplayable.

johnchen, did you use a different username?  Because you seem to only have 1 post.  Can you post your stats again?

Voyager

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

This is the old one i was getting for about a month now. The delay would come and go and is very random.

ping.png

This is one I just did, apparently the lag is completely gone today. I was able to play lag free today but I have no idea why.

new_ping.png

I just hope it doesnt come back... 😃

2 Attachments

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

10 years ago

@johnchen wrote:

This is the old one i was getting for about a month now. The delay would come and go and is very random.

ping.png

This is one I just did, apparently the lag is completely gone today. I was able to play lag free today but I have no idea why.

I just hope it doesnt come back... 😃

The latency appears at the first hop past your RG.  This normally indicates to me a full pipe, especially upstream.  If this happens again, try to find out if something is sending a lot of data upstream and, if you can identify what, temporarily stop it, or permanently throttle it to no more than 80% of your upstream capacity.

Typical offenders include:

• online backup,
  • photo/video sharing,
  • PTP file sharing (bitorrent, et al),
  • games that use P2P file sharing to distribute updates.

1 Attachment

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.