U-verse Forums

Posted Mar 13, 2012
2:01:22 PM
View profile
NVG510 & Connection Problems

I just upgraded to Uverse about a month back and I've been having problems with what I have to assume is the new modem they made me purchase with the upgrade, my old one was the 2Wire.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Nearly every morning when I wake up, and sit down at the computer to check something I'm greeted with this error message.

WARNING:     Potential Connection Issue (Message ID: NAD-2902)

The Motorola NVG510 device has detected potential problems with your DSL connection which may impact your service. This problem is often caused by a phone or other device which is connected to your phone line (such as a fax machine, satellite receiver, alarm system or medical monitor) that does not have a DSL filter.

Please check that all telephone equipment is attached to a DSL filter and that all filters are properly installed (e.g., are not installed backwards).

Click the "Do not show" button to permanently disable this warning in the future.

Click on the "Continue" button to notify you in the future if this situation persists.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

It should be noted that I run through a DSL box outsides that comes in through the bedroom phone line (which I presume doesn't work since it is for internet purpose only). We had alot of issues a few years back with phone calls constantly kicking internet so we installed the box and everything has been near perfect since.

Now for whatever reason the Do not show or Continue buttons do not work. If I try to goto a website, lets say www.amazon.com, I am quickly greeted by a white screen with the text.

HTTP/1.0 302 Found Location: /cgi-bin/ipdiags.ha Pragma: no-cache Content-Type: text/html

Then the website as it appears in the address bar is..

www.amazon.com//cgi-bin/ipdiags.ha

Which loops back to the error screen listed above. It is horribly obnoxious to get rid of and will constantly do that same loop back with the attachment to every website I try to visit and then even after a full cache clear, it still does it. Even when trying to goto a website after I've finally gotten past that page, mind you the internet is and has been up and running this whole time, it stills throws the attachment on there and redirects me to what would be my modem page (192.168.1.254). The only way I've found I can get around this is by opening my browser, opening a new tab and closing the previous, clearing EVERYTHING, and either doing an unplug or factory reset on the modem. I have to do this every morning and sometimes it goes quick sometimes it can take like 10 mins+ of doing this to fix it.

Having this problem gone would be most appreciated.

I just upgraded to Uverse about a month back and I've been having problems with what I have to assume is the new modem they made me purchase with the upgrade, my old one was the 2Wire.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Nearly every morning when I wake up, and sit down at the computer to check something I'm greeted with this error message.

The Motorola NVG510 device has detected potential problems with your DSL connection which may impact your service. This problem is often caused by a phone or other device which is connected to your phone line (such as a fax machine, satellite receiver, alarm system or medical monitor) that does not have a DSL filter.

Please check that all telephone equipment is attached to a DSL filter and that all filters are properly installed (e.g., are not installed backwards).

Click the "Do not show" button to permanently disable this warning in the future.

Click on the "Continue" button to notify you in the future if this situation persists.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

It should be noted that I run through a DSL box outsides that comes in through the bedroom phone line (which I presume doesn't work since it is for internet purpose only). We had alot of issues a few years back with phone calls constantly kicking internet so we installed the box and everything has been near perfect since.

Now for whatever reason the Do not show or Continue buttons do not work. If I try to goto a website, lets say www.amazon.com, I am quickly greeted by a white screen with the text.

HTTP/1.0 302 Found Location: /cgi-bin/ipdiags.ha Pragma: no-cache Content-Type: text/html

Then the website as it appears in the address bar is..

www.amazon.com//cgi-bin/ipdiags.ha

Which loops back to the error screen listed above. It is horribly obnoxious to get rid of and will constantly do that same loop back with the attachment to every website I try to visit and then even after a full cache clear, it still does it. Even when trying to goto a website after I've finally gotten past that page, mind you the internet is and has been up and running this whole time, it stills throws the attachment on there and redirects me to what would be my modem page (192.168.1.254). The only way I've found I can get around this is by opening my browser, opening a new tab and closing the previous, clearing EVERYTHING, and either doing an unplug or factory reset on the modem. I have to do this every morning and sometimes it goes quick sometimes it can take like 10 mins+ of doing this to fix it.

Having this problem gone would be most appreciated.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Mar 17, 2013 11:13:05 AM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by Willyamm on Mar 17, 2013 at 11:14:38 AM

OP here, just wanted to chime in and hopefully this response will help anyone having the same issue as I had. The modem issue arises when your internet drops, the only way to fix the problem is through clearing browser cache/history. It's a horrible modem design, but this has been the only fix, so there is that. The modem also has some issues with DNS problems, like images not loading and other very odd things happening. If this problem is affecting you, set your DNS severs to Google's DNS servers. They are 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4, if you don't know how to do this just google it, it's very easy and quick, less than 1 min.

Now, if you have the posted problem a lot, it's likely because you're losing net connection all the time. I've been having internet issues since Aug 2012. My net would be fine and stable during the day, but at night would go off/stay off and I couldn't access it, or it would just come up, and then drop again. I had multiple techs come out to my house and we replaced EVERYTHING. We ran a new drop cable, new uverse box, new CAT5 cables, new phone jacks, EVERYTHING; The problem still persisted. What you're gonna wanna look for on your modem (192.168.1.254) is keep note of your SN Margin. If you're not staying above say 11.0 you're likely going to have net issues. I've never had my net drop when it's been above that. Just as for reference my SN margin was around 7.0 during the night, so I basically didn't have internet.

What managed to fix my internet was lowering my net speed from 12.0 to 6.0, yet the problem still persisted, thou not as badly. Then after that, after at least 10 techs coming to my house, we ran a shielded CAT5 cable, and that did the job. During the d ay my SN Margin is 16, and at night it drops to around 11.5/12 and stays stable all night.

TL;DR: If you're having this issue, it's is indicative of a connection stability issue. If it doesn't happen often, the easiest fix is just to clear cache/browser history and go about your day. If it happens all the time and you're net seems to be the issue, then read the post and hopefully you can learn from my half year troubles.

Accepted Solution

NVG510 & Connection Problems

27 replies
(4) Me too
(4) Me too
Cancel
Submit
Replies
(27)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 13, 2012 8:08:29 PM
(0)
Contributor

I have this same problem.  It keeps happening and resetting the cache doesn't fix it.  Its definitely a modem problem, because it occurs on numerous computers in the same household.  There's got to be a fix!!!

I have this same problem.  It keeps happening and resetting the cache doesn't fix it.  Its definitely a modem problem, because it occurs on numerous computers in the same household.  There's got to be a fix!!!

Re: NVG510 & Connection Problems

2 of 28 (55,518 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 26, 2012 10:01:27 AM
(0)
Contributor

I'm having the same problem. I'm curious if anyone else is haveing this additional symptom. In the Diagnostics -> Logs tab of the NVG510, I see the following errors repeated frequently:

dnsmasq[2702]: no response from nameserver: '99.99.99.53'
dnsmasq[2702]: nameserver '99.99.99.53' is now responding

I see the same messages for '99.99.99.153'. This is happening as frequently as every 32 seconds or as long at 7 minutes, but I don't see any span of 10 minutes or more that do not have this log entry. I wonder if the NVG510 is basing it's connectivity status on its ability to contact the DNS servers. Of course the NVG510 is too locked down to change its DNS servers to test it with other servers.

I'm having the same problem. I'm curious if anyone else is haveing this additional symptom. In the Diagnostics -> Logs tab of the NVG510, I see the following errors repeated frequently:

dnsmasq[2702]: no response from nameserver: '99.99.99.53'
dnsmasq[2702]: nameserver '99.99.99.53' is now responding

I see the same messages for '99.99.99.153'. This is happening as frequently as every 32 seconds or as long at 7 minutes, but I don't see any span of 10 minutes or more that do not have this log entry. I wonder if the NVG510 is basing it's connectivity status on its ability to contact the DNS servers. Of course the NVG510 is too locked down to change its DNS servers to test it with other servers.

3 of 28 (55,312 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 26, 2012 11:24:28 PM
(0)
Voyager

I have the same problem with this residential Gateway NVG510 . Every day from 3:00 pm, the connection drop and  the light from the NVG510 turn red  and blinking constanstly. I have to unplug the connect from the phone jack and replug in again and the light on the NVG 510 will start blinking green for about  few mintues and it will stay green.  Some day , when the light turn green and stay green, I can surf the net, some day, it take more than couple hour before I can actually get any where . I think the problem lies on the RG NVG510 .  There a post on this forum about how to bridge the RG NVG510 with another router to prevent this problem .

I have the same problem with this residential Gateway NVG510 . Every day from 3:00 pm, the connection drop and  the light from the NVG510 turn red  and blinking constanstly. I have to unplug the connect from the phone jack and replug in again and the light on the NVG 510 will start blinking green for about  few mintues and it will stay green.  Some day , when the light turn green and stay green, I can surf the net, some day, it take more than couple hour before I can actually get any where . I think the problem lies on the RG NVG510 .  There a post on this forum about how to bridge the RG NVG510 with another router to prevent this problem .

4 of 28 (55,284 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 30, 2012 8:52:11 PM
(0)
Expert

This post?

qanguyen63 wrote:

This post?

qanguyen63 wrote:

5 of 28 (55,196 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 31, 2012 4:07:50 PM
(0)
Contributor

I have the same problem. Can somebody please provide a solution to this problem?

I have the same problem. Can somebody please provide a solution to this problem?

6 of 28 (54,659 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 1, 2012 7:40:03 AM
(0)
Voyager

I am having this same issue as the OP.

To add: I get a 6rd continuity fail, and I can access some websites consistantly (for instance, new google searches). But others I get the redirect to the router error.

I am having this same issue as the OP.

To add: I get a 6rd continuity fail, and I can access some websites consistantly (for instance, new google searches). But others I get the redirect to the router error.

7 of 28 (54,637 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 1, 2012 5:42:00 PM
(0)
Contributor

I have been having the same issue for the past week or so, but it is intermittent.  All my lines have filters on them, and there doesn't seem to be a pattern as to when this happens.  It would be terrific if someone from AT&T would address this here in the forum.

I have been having the same issue for the past week or so, but it is intermittent.  All my lines have filters on them, and there doesn't seem to be a pattern as to when this happens.  It would be terrific if someone from AT&T would address this here in the forum.

8 of 28 (54,612 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 2, 2012 4:58:15 AM
(0)
Contributor

Same Problem Here Plus I get a 6rd continuity fail Also.

Sometimes it takes 10-15 Mins to fix, Sometimes 60 mins Or More to fix.

I Ran Full Diagnosis From Error Page,
Tried to repair local area connection,
Tried to reset the modem,
Tried to reset gateway,
cleared cache,
Rebooted Computer.

9 of 10 times I turn on my computer & I get no connection.

By The Way I Unplugged Every Phone In The House + satellite receivers
And Still Get This Message.

WARNING: Potential Connection Issue (Message ID: NAD-2902)

The Motorola NVG510 device has detected potential problems with your DSL connection
which may impact your service. This problem is often caused by a phone or other
device which is connected to your phone line (such as a fax machine, satellite receiver,
alarm system or medical monitor) that does not have a DSL filter.
Please check that all telephone equipment is attached to a DSL filter and that all
filters are properly installed (e.g., are not installed backwards).

If They Don't Fix This Issue VERY SOON, I Will Send My Modem Back In Pieces!!!!

Same Problem Here Plus I get a 6rd continuity fail Also.

Sometimes it takes 10-15 Mins to fix, Sometimes 60 mins Or More to fix.

I Ran Full Diagnosis From Error Page,
Tried to repair local area connection,
Tried to reset the modem,
Tried to reset gateway,
cleared cache,
Rebooted Computer.

9 of 10 times I turn on my computer & I get no connection.

By The Way I Unplugged Every Phone In The House + satellite receivers
And Still Get This Message.

WARNING: Potential Connection Issue (Message ID: NAD-2902)

The Motorola NVG510 device has detected potential problems with your DSL connection
which may impact your service. This problem is often caused by a phone or other
device which is connected to your phone line (such as a fax machine, satellite receiver,
alarm system or medical monitor) that does not have a DSL filter.
Please check that all telephone equipment is attached to a DSL filter and that all
filters are properly installed (e.g., are not installed backwards).

If They Don't Fix This Issue VERY SOON, I Will Send My Modem Back In Pieces!!!!

9 of 28 (54,597 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 3, 2012 9:17:35 PM
(0)
Contributor

I'm having the same problem. Every morning I turn on my computer it fails to connect to the internet. For almost a month I'd do the troubleshoot, reboot the modem until one day it didn't come on. They've sent out several techs. each tells me its something different, or there is no problem with the modem.

They tell me that I have a strong connection but fail to understand that the next morning it won't connect. They changed the lines, put the filter on the outside, allegedly sent out crews to work the line and it still happens. Every morning turn it on and nothing.

When I call they act like this is something they've never heard of and can't figure out. Now I come here and see you guys talking about the same thing. My connection also randomly drops several times a day.

I was wonder if it might be a firewall issue but I can't find anything to help me fix it. The techs tell me they are only trained to troubleshoot their equipment and can't help me in figuring out if my firewall settings are correct.

I had a fine modem before, when I moved they forced me to upgrade to the UVerse NVG150 and it hasn't worked since.

I'm having the same problem. Every morning I turn on my computer it fails to connect to the internet. For almost a month I'd do the troubleshoot, reboot the modem until one day it didn't come on. They've sent out several techs. each tells me its something different, or there is no problem with the modem.

They tell me that I have a strong connection but fail to understand that the next morning it won't connect. They changed the lines, put the filter on the outside, allegedly sent out crews to work the line and it still happens. Every morning turn it on and nothing.

When I call they act like this is something they've never heard of and can't figure out. Now I come here and see you guys talking about the same thing. My connection also randomly drops several times a day.

I was wonder if it might be a firewall issue but I can't find anything to help me fix it. The techs tell me they are only trained to troubleshoot their equipment and can't help me in figuring out if my firewall settings are correct.

I had a fine modem before, when I moved they forced me to upgrade to the UVerse NVG150 and it hasn't worked since.

10 of 28 (54,552 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 16, 2012 10:06:31 PM
(0)
Tutor
I hope you can appreciate the fact that I am writing this message on my "Verizon" iPhone! I googled on my computer and found this forum but my computer will not go to the AT&T link. I keep getting all of the above...just not at the same time. I have had 3 techs and when they leave we think it is working. Guess what, I would not be using an iPhone to type this Post if it worked. The 4th tech will be here Wednesday. They have been extremely nice but I really do not think they have a clue either. Right now, I think I would settle for "dial-up". I really do not have time for this. I just want it corrected. Strange thing. . .facebook works on the computer and my ipod touch (wireless). If I use Safari, I get the same messages about cgi-bin/ipdiags.ha or I end up on the page that says I may have somethIng plugged in. . .well I don't.
I hope you can appreciate the fact that I am writing this message on my "Verizon" iPhone! I googled on my computer and found this forum but my computer will not go to the AT&T link. I keep getting all of the above...just not at the same time. I have had 3 techs and when they leave we think it is working. Guess what, I would not be using an iPhone to type this Post if it worked. The 4th tech will be here Wednesday. They have been extremely nice but I really do not think they have a clue either. Right now, I think I would settle for "dial-up". I really do not have time for this. I just want it corrected. Strange thing. . .facebook works on the computer and my ipod touch (wireless). If I use Safari, I get the same messages about cgi-bin/ipdiags.ha or I end up on the page that says I may have somethIng plugged in. . .well I don't.

11 of 28 (53,965 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 18, 2012 9:38:41 AM
(0)
Contributor

Did anyone ever get a solution to this?

Did anyone ever get a solution to this?

12 of 28 (53,912 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 31, 2012 6:53:19 AM
(0)
Contributor

I am having the same problem. My modem disconnects every morning around  9am. I have replaced the router and had nemourus techs to our office but still no resloution. We have had DSL and a 2wire modem and never had this problem.

I am having the same problem. My modem disconnects every morning around  9am. I have replaced the router and had nemourus techs to our office but still no resloution. We have had DSL and a 2wire modem and never had this problem.

13 of 28 (53,111 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 1, 2012 3:38:12 PM
(0)
Tutor

same issues here. drops are more frequent between like 9-10 til about 330pm ............then after that the drops happen maybe once an hour. 

same issues here. drops are more frequent between like 9-10 til about 330pm ............then after that the drops happen maybe once an hour. 

14 of 28 (52,991 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 2, 2012 5:35:34 AM
(0)
Tutor

new to uverse only had it about a month,

having the same issue sometimes it take 30 min to an hour resseting browser cahe before 

it works again. this nvg 510 is a complete lemon, this issue needs to be resolved AT&T.

you make billions and dont have someone who can fix the fiirmware for this thing, sad

new to uverse only had it about a month,

having the same issue sometimes it take 30 min to an hour resseting browser cahe before 

it works again. this nvg 510 is a complete lemon, this issue needs to be resolved AT&T.

you make billions and dont have someone who can fix the fiirmware for this thing, sad

15 of 28 (50,993 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 12, 2013 8:03:52 AM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by Phil-101 on Feb 12, 2013 at 10:25:53 AM

YET ANOTHER same problem. What  are we supposed to do before a recall gets sent out for this garbage? Within the first couple days of being forced to upgrade to u-verse and a new modem (due to a move) I was having these problems. I called and they tried their basic troubleshooting steps over the phone and that didn't work. Eventually they sent a tech. As you guys know this problems comes and goes, so when the tech finally got here he hit the refresh or continue and the thing started working again.

I was told that I would incurr a fee for having a tech come out but the guy was nice enough to write on his invoice that I cancelled the work request. Ever since I've just been trying to get by with this inconsistent service because ATT is so incompitent, at least when it comes to this matter.

[word filter avoidance]

YET ANOTHER same problem. What  are we supposed to do before a recall gets sent out for this garbage? Within the first couple days of being forced to upgrade to u-verse and a new modem (due to a move) I was having these problems. I called and they tried their basic troubleshooting steps over the phone and that didn't work. Eventually they sent a tech. As you guys know this problems comes and goes, so when the tech finally got here he hit the refresh or continue and the thing started working again.

I was told that I would incurr a fee for having a tech come out but the guy was nice enough to write on his invoice that I cancelled the work request. Ever since I've just been trying to get by with this inconsistent service because ATT is so incompitent, at least when it comes to this matter.

[word filter avoidance]

[ Edited ]
16 of 28 (48,676 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 17, 2013 9:47:20 AM
(0)
Contributor

I have been having this same issue with my NVG510 for over a year. I have moved since my initial service was set up, and I had had technicians out two both location numerous times to test the lines, checks the boxes, and replace the router. Now I am on my third brand new NVG510 and still have this issue. Some days I have a stable conecction for 20 hours. Some days its 7 hours. On an average day I probably get 15 hours of stable up time, and the rest of the day the router is restrting itself every 5-10 minutes. I have noticed in the log files of the router that the DNS is constanly refreshing and that the disconnects and resarts occur most often when the DNS is timing out. I too recieve the constant IP Diagnostics page:

Usually clearing my browsers cashe and history will resolve this after a few minutes as long as the routers connection stays stable which is the real problem. When I contact AT&T about this issue they act like I dont know what Im talking about and try to send out a technician. Anyone know of a solution to the issue of the constant discontects from the DNS? Possibly on from AT&T tech support or something other than bridging a second router and setting the DNS manually. Any input would be very helpful. 

I have been having this same issue with my NVG510 for over a year. I have moved since my initial service was set up, and I had had technicians out two both location numerous times to test the lines, checks the boxes, and replace the router. Now I am on my third brand new NVG510 and still have this issue. Some days I have a stable conecction for 20 hours. Some days its 7 hours. On an average day I probably get 15 hours of stable up time, and the rest of the day the router is restrting itself every 5-10 minutes. I have noticed in the log files of the router that the DNS is constanly refreshing and that the disconnects and resarts occur most often when the DNS is timing out. I too recieve the constant IP Diagnostics page:

Usually clearing my browsers cashe and history will resolve this after a few minutes as long as the routers connection stays stable which is the real problem. When I contact AT&T about this issue they act like I dont know what Im talking about and try to send out a technician. Anyone know of a solution to the issue of the constant discontects from the DNS? Possibly on from AT&T tech support or something other than bridging a second router and setting the DNS manually. Any input would be very helpful. 

17 of 28 (47,343 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Mar 17, 2013 11:13:05 AM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by Willyamm on Mar 17, 2013 at 11:14:38 AM

OP here, just wanted to chime in and hopefully this response will help anyone having the same issue as I had. The modem issue arises when your internet drops, the only way to fix the problem is through clearing browser cache/history. It's a horrible modem design, but this has been the only fix, so there is that. The modem also has some issues with DNS problems, like images not loading and other very odd things happening. If this problem is affecting you, set your DNS severs to Google's DNS servers. They are 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4, if you don't know how to do this just google it, it's very easy and quick, less than 1 min.

Now, if you have the posted problem a lot, it's likely because you're losing net connection all the time. I've been having internet issues since Aug 2012. My net would be fine and stable during the day, but at night would go off/stay off and I couldn't access it, or it would just come up, and then drop again. I had multiple techs come out to my house and we replaced EVERYTHING. We ran a new drop cable, new uverse box, new CAT5 cables, new phone jacks, EVERYTHING; The problem still persisted. What you're gonna wanna look for on your modem (192.168.1.254) is keep note of your SN Margin. If you're not staying above say 11.0 you're likely going to have net issues. I've never had my net drop when it's been above that. Just as for reference my SN margin was around 7.0 during the night, so I basically didn't have internet.

What managed to fix my internet was lowering my net speed from 12.0 to 6.0, yet the problem still persisted, thou not as badly. Then after that, after at least 10 techs coming to my house, we ran a shielded CAT5 cable, and that did the job. During the d ay my SN Margin is 16, and at night it drops to around 11.5/12 and stays stable all night.

TL;DR: If you're having this issue, it's is indicative of a connection stability issue. If it doesn't happen often, the easiest fix is just to clear cache/browser history and go about your day. If it happens all the time and you're net seems to be the issue, then read the post and hopefully you can learn from my half year troubles.

[ Edited ]
18 of 28 (47,407 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 28, 2013 9:07:54 PM
(0)
Contributor

I had the problems described here with the redirects and sometimes losing the internet connection altogether.(getting a red light on the modem). I called the Uverse help number (on your bill) and they claim to have detected a problem with my line. So they sent a technician to the house. I got one that knew his business. He tested the lines to the house and it showed no problems. He went to the outside box and added a line filter in there.(just a small square box that fit into the box on the wall outside the house) He said that these Uverse modems are sensitive and pick up any signal loss or interference. He said the loss can occur along the phone lines, past your outside box, in your wires that are run throughout your house, especially if they are run for any distance or you have lots of phone wiring in your house. Installing this filter on the wires before they go into the house, filters all the wires in the house instead of using the DSL filters and filtering only the line that goes to your phones. I left the DSL filters in place in the house. He also took out what he called a "half ringer". Google it for explanation. He said that many problems occur because of this "half ringer" It is old technology that is still installed in most phone boxes outside your house. He did those two things about 3 weeks or so ago and I have not had another page redirect and have not lost the internet signal or nor had any more wireless connection problems, that I was also having. I think the key is to convince them to send a technician to your house and then tell the technician to do those 2 things. There was no charge as it was on their end. They tell you when you call that you can be charged if problems are inside your house or with your phones, etc. I know this may not be the cure-all but hopefully this helps some of you.

I had the problems described here with the redirects and sometimes losing the internet connection altogether.(getting a red light on the modem). I called the Uverse help number (on your bill) and they claim to have detected a problem with my line. So they sent a technician to the house. I got one that knew his business. He tested the lines to the house and it showed no problems. He went to the outside box and added a line filter in there.(just a small square box that fit into the box on the wall outside the house) He said that these Uverse modems are sensitive and pick up any signal loss or interference. He said the loss can occur along the phone lines, past your outside box, in your wires that are run throughout your house, especially if they are run for any distance or you have lots of phone wiring in your house. Installing this filter on the wires before they go into the house, filters all the wires in the house instead of using the DSL filters and filtering only the line that goes to your phones. I left the DSL filters in place in the house. He also took out what he called a "half ringer". Google it for explanation. He said that many problems occur because of this "half ringer" It is old technology that is still installed in most phone boxes outside your house. He did those two things about 3 weeks or so ago and I have not had another page redirect and have not lost the internet signal or nor had any more wireless connection problems, that I was also having. I think the key is to convince them to send a technician to your house and then tell the technician to do those 2 things. There was no charge as it was on their end. They tell you when you call that you can be charged if problems are inside your house or with your phones, etc. I know this may not be the cure-all but hopefully this helps some of you.

19 of 28 (42,145 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 8, 2013 9:49:12 PM
(0)
Contributor

This error is a recurrent one.  As far as I can tell, the fix I employ is temporary but it does resolve the problem for a while.  I don't know why the problem recurs.  In any event, in addition to flushing the internet temporary file cash which others have mentioned (Tools, Internet Options, Browsing History, Delete), I've found it helpful to require that IE look for the most recent version of the web page every time.  (Internet Options, Browsing History-Settings, check the box for "check for newer versions..every time."  Once this change is accomplished, clear the cash, and click on the "do not show" button and reload the webpage.  With luck this should work. If not close the browser and try again.

This error is a recurrent one.  As far as I can tell, the fix I employ is temporary but it does resolve the problem for a while.  I don't know why the problem recurs.  In any event, in addition to flushing the internet temporary file cash which others have mentioned (Tools, Internet Options, Browsing History, Delete), I've found it helpful to require that IE look for the most recent version of the web page every time.  (Internet Options, Browsing History-Settings, check the box for "check for newer versions..every time."  Once this change is accomplished, clear the cash, and click on the "do not show" button and reload the webpage.  With luck this should work. If not close the browser and try again.

20 of 28 (41,477 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 19, 2013 11:17:52 AM
(0)
Contributor

The only continuing problem I still seem to have is an error screen which pops up when I initially boot up my Motorola NVG 510 DSL modem.

The details are as follows:

I unplug my DSL modem and my PC when not in use.

When I need to use them, I plug in the PC, modem, and all of the connections - then I turn on the power and the PC.

I have a Dell Dimension B110 PC, Windows XP, 2.66 GHz CPU, 1GB RAM, and primarily use Google Chrome as a browser.

Once the PC and DSL modem boot up, I double click the Google Chrome icon.

From my list of preferred websites, I highlight one and click on it.

I immediately get an Error Display which reads:

IP Diagnostics

WARNING:

Potential Connection Issue (Message ID: NAD-2902)

We only have 1 phone in the apartment.  That phone is connected to a Pace DSL filter then to a wall jack.  ATT provides the phone service (this is a normal phone not a U-verse phone).

The only other connection is the DSL Data Cable.  That DSL Cable is connected to a Pace DSL filter then to a wall jack.  ATT provides the internet service thru U-verse High Speed Internet Pro.

There are no other devices attached to any of the other wall jacks.

So if someone has attached some sort of “listening device” to our line without our knowledge, well maybe they need a DSL filter, or maybe you could have it removed.

Once I get the Error Display, if I click on “Continue”, then I still cannot get past this display.

If I click on “Do Not Show Again”, the display disappears and takes me to the next problem.  (Note: Each time I start my computer I get the same Error Display -- I cannot seem to get rid of it -- it is definitely not “permanently disabled” -- read the warning statement carefully.)

Once past the error display, I get the message “Sorry, The Page You've Requested Can't Be Found”.

The address box shows the website address I originally selected followed by:   /cgi-bin/ipdiags.ha

If I close the display, go back to Google Chrome, go to my list of preferred websites -- the Website Logo for the website I originally selected has now been changed to an ATT Logo.

When I click on the website, I get the same message “Sorry, The Page You've Requested Can't Be Found”.

This time the address box shows the website address I originally selected followed by:   /cgi-bin/redirect.ha

To resolve this, I have found that I must click on the Google Chrome “Customize & Control Google Chrome Tab”, then click on “History”, then click on “Clear Browsing Data” and clear all of the browsing data.

After that, when I click on the preferred website, I get connected to that site.  Then when I check my list of preferred websites again, the correct corporate logo for that website is displayed again.

This happens on the initial connection attempt to any website after the computer is booted up.

Only the Wikipedia website gets past this error by automatically “refreshing” -- then Wikipedia will display that there are no articles published with “cgi-bin/redirect.ha” -- which is kind of funny.

Whether ATT’s program is corrupting Google Chrome or whether Google Chrome is just picking up the last internet attempt as a current results page -- who knows, but the result is a pain to get around each time.

Furthermore, the initial failed internet connection means that programs that normally run near start-up (such as Anti-Virus Updates, Microsoft Update, Adobe Update, Java Update) actually fail to update automatically.  Therefore, each must be updated manually - this defeats the entire purpose of having “automatic” updates -- especially for an anti-virus program.

After that, the DSL is fine -- that is until I need to use it the next time.

The only continuing problem I still seem to have is an error screen which pops up when I initially boot up my Motorola NVG 510 DSL modem.

The details are as follows:

I unplug my DSL modem and my PC when not in use.

When I need to use them, I plug in the PC, modem, and all of the connections - then I turn on the power and the PC.

I have a Dell Dimension B110 PC, Windows XP, 2.66 GHz CPU, 1GB RAM, and primarily use Google Chrome as a browser.

Once the PC and DSL modem boot up, I double click the Google Chrome icon.

From my list of preferred websites, I highlight one and click on it.

I immediately get an Error Display which reads:

IP Diagnostics

WARNING:

Potential Connection Issue (Message ID: NAD-2902)

We only have 1 phone in the apartment.  That phone is connected to a Pace DSL filter then to a wall jack.  ATT provides the phone service (this is a normal phone not a U-verse phone).

The only other connection is the DSL Data Cable.  That DSL Cable is connected to a Pace DSL filter then to a wall jack.  ATT provides the internet service thru U-verse High Speed Internet Pro.

There are no other devices attached to any of the other wall jacks.

So if someone has attached some sort of “listening device” to our line without our knowledge, well maybe they need a DSL filter, or maybe you could have it removed.

Once I get the Error Display, if I click on “Continue”, then I still cannot get past this display.

If I click on “Do Not Show Again”, the display disappears and takes me to the next problem.  (Note: Each time I start my computer I get the same Error Display -- I cannot seem to get rid of it -- it is definitely not “permanently disabled” -- read the warning statement carefully.)

Once past the error display, I get the message “Sorry, The Page You've Requested Can't Be Found”.

The address box shows the website address I originally selected followed by:   /cgi-bin/ipdiags.ha

If I close the display, go back to Google Chrome, go to my list of preferred websites -- the Website Logo for the website I originally selected has now been changed to an ATT Logo.

When I click on the website, I get the same message “Sorry, The Page You've Requested Can't Be Found”.

This time the address box shows the website address I originally selected followed by:   /cgi-bin/redirect.ha

To resolve this, I have found that I must click on the Google Chrome “Customize & Control Google Chrome Tab”, then click on “History”, then click on “Clear Browsing Data” and clear all of the browsing data.

After that, when I click on the preferred website, I get connected to that site.  Then when I check my list of preferred websites again, the correct corporate logo for that website is displayed again.

This happens on the initial connection attempt to any website after the computer is booted up.

Only the Wikipedia website gets past this error by automatically “refreshing” -- then Wikipedia will display that there are no articles published with “cgi-bin/redirect.ha” -- which is kind of funny.

Whether ATT’s program is corrupting Google Chrome or whether Google Chrome is just picking up the last internet attempt as a current results page -- who knows, but the result is a pain to get around each time.

Furthermore, the initial failed internet connection means that programs that normally run near start-up (such as Anti-Virus Updates, Microsoft Update, Adobe Update, Java Update) actually fail to update automatically.  Therefore, each must be updated manually - this defeats the entire purpose of having “automatic” updates -- especially for an anti-virus program.

After that, the DSL is fine -- that is until I need to use it the next time.

21 of 28 (40,623 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 21, 2013 10:50:08 AM
(0)
Contributor
I just had uverse installed on Friday July 19 and on Saturday July 20 its already down. I cannot believe I cannot even have service for 24 hours before any issues. I have attempted to contact support and no luck. I was suppose to have a tech here today but never arrived or called my Verizon cell phone since I have no phone line or internet. What I have read here is a lot of wish you luck and feel the pain of the NGVS510.
I just had uverse installed on Friday July 19 and on Saturday July 20 its already down. I cannot believe I cannot even have service for 24 hours before any issues. I have attempted to contact support and no luck. I was suppose to have a tech here today but never arrived or called my Verizon cell phone since I have no phone line or internet. What I have read here is a lot of wish you luck and feel the pain of the NGVS510.

22 of 28 (40,441 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 21, 2013 9:15:03 PM
(0)
Expert

@newuser608

Send a Private Message to and an employee will get back to you.  Just click on the hyperlink.

Sorry to hear you're having trouble with your new install.  I've been there, but not the same RG. :smileysad:

@newuser608

Send a Private Message to and an employee will get back to you.  Just click on the hyperlink.

Sorry to hear you're having trouble with your new install.  I've been there, but not the same RG. :smileysad:

23 of 28 (40,371 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 18, 2013 4:24:31 PM
(0)
Contributor

Is that 11.0 SN Margin on the downstream or upstream side? I'm having the classic NVG510 problems since I converted to Uverse from DSL and have 9.3 downstream and 16.0 upstream. Do I need to repair somehow? Thanks.

Is that 11.0 SN Margin on the downstream or upstream side? I'm having the classic NVG510 problems since I converted to Uverse from DSL and have 9.3 downstream and 16.0 upstream. Do I need to repair somehow? Thanks.

24 of 28 (38,482 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 18, 2013 6:56:36 PM
(0)
Teacher

Mine was on downstrea, 9.3 sounds like the problem.

Do me this, if you can check your SN margin on downstream at around 2/3 in the morning, that's likely going to be your lowest point, if it's at 9 or lower, that is almost assuredely your problem. 

Mine was on downstrea, 9.3 sounds like the problem.

Do me this, if you can check your SN margin on downstream at around 2/3 in the morning, that's likely going to be your lowest point, if it's at 9 or lower, that is almost assuredely your problem. 

25 of 28 (38,461 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 4, 2013 7:54:35 AM
(0)
Contributor

Thank you for sharing this feedback. It was truly helpful! I recently moved and had a  AT&T Uverse tech come to connect my phone and internet service. The tech left stating my phone line worked but I needed a new network card on my computer. I'm not a tech savvy person but knew that common sense told me that was not the case when I had the same uverse service at my prior residence. The only thing I could see that changed was they gave me a new router from what I had was as 2Wire to this now Motorolla. I had asked for AT&T to send another tech and 72 hours later, this tech was able to get me to GOOGLE webpage and left without changing to test or refresh other webpages. So the error your described with the "WARNING IP Diagnostic Error"  Message kept appearing.

After assistance with a relative who is a lot more tech savvy, help me to navigate assistance through your forum and try your methods and it worked. The only additional thing I would add is that I changed is adding the following step:

1. Go to Tool, Internet Explorer, Browsing History Settings and change "Disk Space to Use"  to a higher number. I changed from 50mb to 1024mb.

The above seem to help eliminate the error altogether. Before changing the settign above, I would still keep getting the error message.  Additionally, I added DSL Filters to both the Phone line and the DSL Line.

I have not had problems since.

Thank you for sharing this feedback. It was truly helpful! I recently moved and had a  AT&T Uverse tech come to connect my phone and internet service. The tech left stating my phone line worked but I needed a new network card on my computer. I'm not a tech savvy person but knew that common sense told me that was not the case when I had the same uverse service at my prior residence. The only thing I could see that changed was they gave me a new router from what I had was as 2Wire to this now Motorolla. I had asked for AT&T to send another tech and 72 hours later, this tech was able to get me to GOOGLE webpage and left without changing to test or refresh other webpages. So the error your described with the "WARNING IP Diagnostic Error"  Message kept appearing.

After assistance with a relative who is a lot more tech savvy, help me to navigate assistance through your forum and try your methods and it worked. The only additional thing I would add is that I changed is adding the following step:

1. Go to Tool, Internet Explorer, Browsing History Settings and change "Disk Space to Use"  to a higher number. I changed from 50mb to 1024mb.

The above seem to help eliminate the error altogether. Before changing the settign above, I would still keep getting the error message.  Additionally, I added DSL Filters to both the Phone line and the DSL Line.

I have not had problems since.

26 of 28 (37,199 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 1, 2014 5:49:58 PM
(0)
Contributor

Hi Willyamm,

I just wanted to drop you a note to say thanks, you story helped me handle my issues although even after installing cat5 shielded cable the web was still down but your thorough notes were very helpful. The root of my cause was faulty data cable running from the Origination source 6000 feet away, they found a short in it. I could not have taken care of this in 5 days had it not been for your help. I did post my story on this forum, step by step and the eventual solution. My web is now working very strong.

Thanks again

Golfswing4all

Hi Willyamm,

I just wanted to drop you a note to say thanks, you story helped me handle my issues although even after installing cat5 shielded cable the web was still down but your thorough notes were very helpful. The root of my cause was faulty data cable running from the Origination source 6000 feet away, they found a short in it. I could not have taken care of this in 5 days had it not been for your help. I did post my story on this forum, step by step and the eventual solution. My web is now working very strong.

Thanks again

Golfswing4all

27 of 28 (6,720 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 16, 2014 6:10:33 AM
(0)
Contributor

Well, well, well. How interesting. I seem to be having the same problem, especially when it comes to the wireless side of the AT&T RG. Have had ATT U-Verse since February 2014. Using an HP laptop I've had since 2007. A great laptop! Anyway, here's the situation. Sometimes when I turn my laptop off and back on, or when I do a restart I cannot reconnect to the ATT RG and get an Internet connection, or I connect to the RG but get no Internet connection (limited connection). Sometime if I get a chance, I'll take long look at the documentation on the settings for the RG and see if there is some setting or settings that needs to be changed to correct this problem, but here's my quick workaround that never has failed me so far.

I've connected an old Belkin wireless router to the ATT RG using one of the network slots (RJ-45) on the back of the RG. Since ye old Belkin router does not support WEP2 security (too old only does WEP), I'm using the MAC LIST feature on the Belkin router to make sure that no one can access the ATT connection wirelessly through the Belkin router. The MAC LIST restricts all connections to the Belkin router to only the devices I so specify via MAC ADDRESS of authorized devices. You can do this with the ATT RG as well. Anyway, whenever the RG refuses to give me an Internet connection, I simply reconnect to the Belkin wireless router. It works every single time. After looking at all the postings, this leads me to one or two conclusions about the situation. 1) one or more of the settings for ATT RG are set wrong, or 2) the ATT RG has a internal defect of some kind. 

NOTE: This resetting the browser cache to get the Internet connection working sounds a little bizarre if you ask me. The browse cache should have absolutely nothing to do with the Internet connection working or not working.

If I can connect to the Internet via the Belkin router plugged into the ATT RG with no problems, then this means that the problem is not external to the residential site. And it cannot be cable related either (I'm connecting wirelessly) It's got to be something weird going on inside  the RG. I am a retired IT person with over 25 years in the business, so I have some experience dealing with stuff like this, but that doesn't mean that my conclusions are always right, but most of the time they are. But nonetheless, my work around works like a charm every single time. The caveat here is that if this work-around doesn't work for you then you probably have some other kind of problem.

Hey, it beats wasting time (hours & hours) dealing with ATT techies who can't seem to fix or understand the problem to begin with. Furthermore, I'm not a big fan of ATT, they've gotten way too big for their britches, much like the TOO-BIG-TO-FAIL US BANKS who are leveraged up to their ying-yangs in way too many DERIVATIVES. But hey,  I'm not the one paying the for service either. My dad is. I'm just visitin'. Good luck you all. The Otterfox.

Well, well, well. How interesting. I seem to be having the same problem, especially when it comes to the wireless side of the AT&T RG. Have had ATT U-Verse since February 2014. Using an HP laptop I've had since 2007. A great laptop! Anyway, here's the situation. Sometimes when I turn my laptop off and back on, or when I do a restart I cannot reconnect to the ATT RG and get an Internet connection, or I connect to the RG but get no Internet connection (limited connection). Sometime if I get a chance, I'll take long look at the documentation on the settings for the RG and see if there is some setting or settings that needs to be changed to correct this problem, but here's my quick workaround that never has failed me so far.

I've connected an old Belkin wireless router to the ATT RG using one of the network slots (RJ-45) on the back of the RG. Since ye old Belkin router does not support WEP2 security (too old only does WEP), I'm using the MAC LIST feature on the Belkin router to make sure that no one can access the ATT connection wirelessly through the Belkin router. The MAC LIST restricts all connections to the Belkin router to only the devices I so specify via MAC ADDRESS of authorized devices. You can do this with the ATT RG as well. Anyway, whenever the RG refuses to give me an Internet connection, I simply reconnect to the Belkin wireless router. It works every single time. After looking at all the postings, this leads me to one or two conclusions about the situation. 1) one or more of the settings for ATT RG are set wrong, or 2) the ATT RG has a internal defect of some kind. 

NOTE: This resetting the browser cache to get the Internet connection working sounds a little bizarre if you ask me. The browse cache should have absolutely nothing to do with the Internet connection working or not working.

If I can connect to the Internet via the Belkin router plugged into the ATT RG with no problems, then this means that the problem is not external to the residential site. And it cannot be cable related either (I'm connecting wirelessly) It's got to be something weird going on inside  the RG. I am a retired IT person with over 25 years in the business, so I have some experience dealing with stuff like this, but that doesn't mean that my conclusions are always right, but most of the time they are. But nonetheless, my work around works like a charm every single time. The caveat here is that if this work-around doesn't work for you then you probably have some other kind of problem.

Hey, it beats wasting time (hours & hours) dealing with ATT techies who can't seem to fix or understand the problem to begin with. Furthermore, I'm not a big fan of ATT, they've gotten way too big for their britches, much like the TOO-BIG-TO-FAIL US BANKS who are leveraged up to their ying-yangs in way too many DERIVATIVES. But hey,  I'm not the one paying the for service either. My dad is. I'm just visitin'. Good luck you all. The Otterfox.

28 of 28 (4,052 Views)