Need help with your equipment?
alexanderDgreat's profile

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Friday, June 5th, 2015 1:14 AM

NVG 589 3rd Party Router

To begin, I have the Uverse Max Plus Package or the 18mbps. I've been consistently, for the past year getting less than 10mbps WIRED or WLAN. My ping when I'm playing games also goes up to 900+ on CS GO. I've AT&T and support a couple of times, and it seems they just boost the signal for a few weeks... but after about a month or two, the same problem returns... I'm fed up and I either do the ETF or go with a 3rd party router for better performance... My issue is: has anyone tried to cascade/bridge mode their NVG589 to another router? Have you gotten better WLAN and LAN speeds? How good is it, and is it worth it? I'm looking to purchase this router here: Router 1 or Router 2. I'm seriously fed up. The NVG589 can't handle less than 10 devices on a consistent speed. I've removed the Home Camera (Upload speed) but it made no difference. I've taken off our cordless house phones, still no difference. 

Community Support

• 

6.7K Messages

9 years ago

HI @alexanderDgreat,

I am sorry about the issues you are having with your speed. If you are getting these speeds after rebooting your gateway with just one device connected via hardwired, then adding another router will probably not help. If it is only getting 10Mbps with the one device connected, it will be shooting the 10Mbps to your 3rd party router. If that's the case, let me know, and I will be glad to see what can be done.

If you notice issues with multiple devices or via wireless, the router may help. I personally use my own router, and I have no problems and the wireless signal carries further.

Hope this helps.

-David T

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

9 years ago

It fluctuates every now and then when I'm playing a game. I would initially have a 20-25 ping, then after a few minutes it shoots up to 500-921+. I've been wondering in investing in a AC dual band router (removing all lan on the default ATT router and dumping it onto the 3rd Party) but I'm curious to see if having that 3rd party router, may not make much of a difference on my ping and speeds... so I don't know if it would be worth it. I might just move onto xfinity or wait for fiber optics to be able in my area. My past 2Wire3200gh? router has been a lot better when it comes to speed consistency, but ever since we got "upgraded" to the NVG589, it comes fast, but is consistent (sometimes getting 2mbps down and .30 up on LAN). I tried disabling the HPNA coax but it's actually for the 3 DVRs so that's not gonna work.Would cascading the NVG589 onto the AC router improve performance significantly? Or would it just bump it up a few mbps and provide a wider wifi radius? I've tried different combo bands of B/G/N and set it to Auto but nada. Only when I've set it to G-band and Signal 5 am I able to get something useful up and down streams.

Community Support

• 

6.7K Messages

9 years ago

You can still only go as fast as your slowest connection. So the best test is to remove all devices besides one and test hardwired with a computer connected directly to the NVG589. If you are always getting good speeds, then I think the 802.11ac router will help because it would just indicated that your issues are over wireless or processing power of the NVG589. I have an internal network in my 2 story house. I can definitely say that adding the 3rd party router has helped tremendously in my connection speeds. 

Also, if you do have a lot of wireless interference, make sure you research your routers. 802.11ac is not the only thing you want to look for for wireless improvement. The amount of antennas makes a huge difference as well.

-David T

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

9 years ago

Thanks for replying consistentently. I've ran multiple analysis of my surrounding neighborhood. It's mostly 2.4ghz channel of B, G, and N. There's no AC signal around me, and in my time, I figured that their channels are set to automatic so at times it interferes with my presetted Channel 5, and possibly one of the reasons that my speeds drop and ping spikes. You said that the 3rd party router would help. I was a little iffy, because if the NVG router itself can't handle the speed n interference, wouldn't that render the 3rd Party Router useless? Or does it just hand over the processing and data to the 3rd party, and the NVG just manages the protocols and the firewalls?

I've researched some that AC wouldn't be much of a difference, but from my neighborhood, no one uses the same signal, so I thought that it just might work. If so, what type of router should I go for so that it can handle 10-20 devices consistently. I think the nighthawk is good, but I don't even have that bandwith. I just thought that type would be able to handle multiple wireles and LAN devices.

Thanks again for the consistent reply.

Community Support

• 

6.7K Messages

9 years ago

You would want to configure the U-verse gateway in DMZ mode. Here is a post that goes over it. As long as you connect behind your 3rd party router, your devices will interact with that router directly. The NVG will still pass traffic over and it will do it at the rate of the Ethernet connection, so you want to make sure you get gigabit capable equipment.

Also, the NVG589 to my knowledge is 2.4ghz 802.11n, so just having the router being able to do 5ghz will help a lot if there is not much 5ghz interference in your area.

-David T

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

9 years ago

Channel 5 is typically a bad channel to pick in the 2.4 GHz band.  It encroaches on both channels 1 and 6 (which are used a lot by those who lock their channels), and it appears that encroaching on an adjacent channel is worse than trying to share the same channel with a nearby access point.  The common recommendation is to lock on either 1, 6 or 11, nothing in between.

802.11ac doesn't use the 2.4 GHz band at all, so no surprise that you're not seeing any ac usage there.  802.11ac does use 5.0 GHz, and 802.11n can use 5.0 GHz.  5.0 GHz has shorter range than 2.4 GHz, and so it's less likely to have neighboring interference, but also won't penetrate your own walls as well.

The RG's native 802.11b/g[/n] implementation doesn't seem to be as robust as consumer wireless routers, so most units you would buy would do better.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

9 years ago

Yeah, I read about that on channel 5. However it's the only channel that has, most of the time, scored 0 AP count and 1-3 Congestion. I've tried all the other channels, but to no avail. 1 just got me even lower than the 3mbps, and sometimes doesn't even load speedtest. 6, most of the neighborhood uses the same frequency, and 11 is, on the afternoons, very popular with the automatically set routers around me, and I get really bad up and downstreams. I'm thinking of getting one of the Netgear AC dualband gigabit routers soon to see if everything improves. I

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.