Need help with your equipment?
kenvalyi's profile

Coach

• 

3 Messages

Friday, December 5th, 2014 11:19 AM

Facebook, Amazon and CNN unusable. Content Delivery Network problem.

I just switched from Comcast to ATT Uverse yesterday (Thursday) and I'm having an issue with a few websites using Content Delivery Networks.

Facebook, Amazon and CNN are not loading their css scripts rendering the sites unusable.

Here's what they look like:

Amazon:

Amazon

CNN: 

CNN

Facebook: 

facebook.png

Here's a link to a couple of Facebook images that don't resolve on any PC or iOS or Android device on my Uverse Internet connection.

https://fbcdn-dragon-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xap1/t39.2365-6/851565_602269956474188_918638970_n.png

https://fbstatic-a.akamaihd.net/rsrc.php/v2/yt/r/FZaMKqARgC6.png

It looks to me that the problem with all three sites is my Uverse Internet connection is not communicating with these sites' Content Delivery Network services.

I have rebooted my NVG589 several times, scanned for viruses on my computers (although they both worked fine with Comcast just hours ago).

I have also reset my NVG589 back to factory settings. None of it made any difference.

What tells me there's a definite problem with my internet connection is, my iPhone 6 will not resolve m.facebook.com while connected to my NVG589 wifi, but on the ATT LTE network m.facebook.com resolves immediately.

Is the NVG589 installed yesterday a dud or is their a network issue or is there a troubleshooting step I haven't thought of.

Any advice/help is appreciated.

Thank you!

3 Attachments

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

9 years ago

I have had issues with Akami's CDN nodes in Atlanta from time to time.  I don't know if it is an issue with Akamai itself, or in the peering between the Akamai network and AT&T's.

However, given your other symptoms it seems what you're having is DNS issues.  And as far as I can tell, if you're having DNS issues, you're likely having general connection (line) quality issues as well.

Can you visit the Broadband page on your Residential Gateway (RG) at http://192.168.1.254/ and screenshot and post the various sync rates, Signal stats and error counts?

Coach

• 

3 Messages

9 years ago

Thanks for your response Jeff. The line is testing fine, but something is definitly wrong with the routing on my NVG589.

So I followed these two threads on DSLreports to set up an old wireless router to route the traffic for me and BINGO. FaceBook and Amazon are backing... Christmas is saved!

How do I setup bridge mode in the Motorola NVG589? and

NVG589 & Netgear Router for DLNA

The bridge mode FAQ was the meat of the solution for me, and while it may sound intimidating for some. The steps are fairly straight forward.

Hopefully, no one else encounters this, but if they, at least there is a solution.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.