Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Highlighted
Posted Jul 21, 2012
8:01:25 PM
View profile
Cannot log in to router to change SSID or Network Key

I want to personalize my SSID and make the Network Key less vulnerable. The technician who installed my equipment tried to log in via 192.168.1.254 and I have tried several times as well. It says "Connecting" each time, but then comes up with the "IE cannot display the webpage". On Firefox, I get the "Connection was reset" message. How do I make changes if I can't pull it up on the internet???  My internet connection is working fine, by the way.

I want to personalize my SSID and make the Network Key less vulnerable. The technician who installed my equipment tried to log in via 192.168.1.254 and I have tried several times as well. It says "Connecting" each time, but then comes up with the "IE cannot display the webpage". On Firefox, I get the "Connection was reset" message. How do I make changes if I can't pull it up on the internet???  My internet connection is working fine, by the way.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Jul 21, 2012 8:25:17 PM
(0)
Master

You can try a factory reset. Push and hold the reset button for 15 seconds and then release. The button should be located on the back of your gateway/modem/router, and you will need a ballpoint pen or toothpick. You should then be able to access your gateway using the standard means with the passwords listed on the label on the gateway.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

neon_sign.jpg

Accepted Solution

Cannot log in to router to change SSID or Network Key

6 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(6)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 21, 2012 8:19:30 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Edited by texasguy37 on Jul 21, 2012 at 8:20:43 PM

Which U-verse gateway do you have?  Try the link below:

http://192.168.1.254/xslt?PAGE=C_2_1

Which U-verse gateway do you have?  Try the link below:

http://192.168.1.254/xslt?PAGE=C_2_1

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Cannot log in to router to change SSID or Network Key

[ Edited ]
2 of 7 (28,842 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Jul 21, 2012 8:25:17 PM
(0)
Master

You can try a factory reset. Push and hold the reset button for 15 seconds and then release. The button should be located on the back of your gateway/modem/router, and you will need a ballpoint pen or toothpick. You should then be able to access your gateway using the standard means with the passwords listed on the label on the gateway.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

neon_sign.jpg

3 of 7 (28,838 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 21, 2012 9:58:45 PM
(0)
Voyager

Looks like the reset worked; I can access the gateway via the internet (webpage) now. Thanks!

Looks like the reset worked; I can access the gateway via the internet (webpage) now. Thanks!

4 of 7 (28,825 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 22, 2012 3:53:51 AM
(0)
Master

titus34 wrote:

No problem, thanks for the update, and glad everything worked out. Stop back if you have any other questions, or just want a good read, or maybe even learn something new, as there a lot of subjects covered here.

titus34 wrote:

No problem, thanks for the update, and glad everything worked out. Stop back if you have any other questions, or just want a good read, or maybe even learn something new, as there a lot of subjects covered here.

neon_sign.jpg

5 of 7 (28,818 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 22, 2012 3:50:23 PM
(0)
Voyager

Thanks! Will do. Not sure why the tech didn't think to try a reset, but then neither did I. Smiley Embarassed

Thanks! Will do. Not sure why the tech didn't think to try a reset, but then neither did I. Smiley Embarassed

6 of 7 (28,791 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 6, 2013 7:26:57 PM
(0)
Teacher

I read and understood the post but when I lost Internet connectivity the AT&T diagnostic told me inter alia to reset the router.

What it didn't tell me was that a reset will return the SSID and password to their original settings. I wasted hours trying to restore my Internet access until I figured this out. I recommend that you ask AT&T U-verse to amend their diagnostics.

This Community Board is very helpful.

Thanks.

I read and understood the post but when I lost Internet connectivity the AT&T diagnostic told me inter alia to reset the router.

What it didn't tell me was that a reset will return the SSID and password to their original settings. I wasted hours trying to restore my Internet access until I figured this out. I recommend that you ask AT&T U-verse to amend their diagnostics.

This Community Board is very helpful.

Thanks.

7 of 7 (26,616 Views)