Need help with your equipment?
Sam_A's profile

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

Wednesday, November 3rd, 2010 10:20 AM

All wireless devices lose internet connection

I've been a U-verse customer for nearly a year, and this problem just cropped up a couple of weeks ago. All Mac computers, one connected by Ethernet to the RG and the rest of the devices are wireless. The hardwired computer has no issues, but every wireless device loses internet but remains connected to the RG. Sometimes turning wireless off/on on the device results in a temporary fix. Other times a reboot of the RG results in a temp fix, but nothing works permanently.

I have changed channels on the RG. AT&T has changed channels on the RG. They have also disabled Wifi Protected Setup in the RG. All computers are up to date with current software. AT&T replaced the RG with a new one a few days ago. This is maddening with all wireless devices losing internet but remaining connected to the RG, whose signal is solid throughout the house. The problems are on computers, phones, ipads, and every other wireless device. I have turned off wireless on all devices except for 2 to see if that would correct the problem, and it had no effect. TV seems to work ok, as well as the landline phone. 

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

13 years ago

@Sam_A wrote:

I've use Airport routers for a few years but went with the Engenius because of its 3 antennas which give me better coverage than my Airport Extreme does.

Now I'm awaiting delivery of a Luxul system to beam my wifi across the street to my studio (about 400ft). Ever do anything like that?

Should be able to do it with the basic gear you already own and a couple of high gain antennas.

http://www.premiertek.net/cat/networking-antenna-acc.htm

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

13 years ago

Only if the devices have an external antenna port, which many, including Airport, do not. And those that do, like the Engenius, have multiple antennas. Some routers can be configured to use only one antenna which can then be replaced with an external directional antenna. For those with 3 antennas you'd need 3 directional antenna replacements which in my case is impractical not to mention expensive.

The Luxul unit arrived yesterday afternoon and my first test shows the signal across the street and 2 doors down has doubled and appears to be rock solid. Once I get it in properly installed and the antenna placed outside and correctly aimed, it should smoke. 

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

13 years ago

@Sam_A wrote:

Only if the devices have an external antenna port, which many, including Airport, do not. And those that do, like the Engenius, have multiple antennas. Some routers can be configured to use only one antenna which can then be replaced with an external directional antenna. For those with 3 antennas you'd need 3 directional antenna replacements which in my case is impractical not to mention expensive.

The Luxul unit arrived yesterday afternoon and my first test shows the signal across the street and 2 doors down has doubled and appears to be rock solid. Once I get it in properly installed and the antenna placed outside and correctly aimed, it should smoke. 

Just because it has three antennas does not mean that it needs all three of them to be high gain. It would depend, as you said, with it's configuration. Some routers use one for transmit and the other two for receive (or the other way around). Some use one for "N" and two for "A/B/G". Some use them for different frequencies (2.4GHz or 5GHz). So you could probably get away with a high gain on the transmit antenna on your Engenius and a high gain on your client adapter across the street.

Just food for thought seeings how it looks like your good to go. What did the Luxul setup run ya, It looks like it would be rather expensive.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

13 years ago

The techs at Engenius said I'd need to replace all 3 antennas. I tried various configurations with a single directional antenna and didn't get anywhere.

I picked up a used Luxul PWK1-24-FC2 on ebay for $229. It's mounted near the window in my garage with the antenna pointing out the window toward the other house. I might bridge another one over there pointing back at this one, but right now it's working really well. My U-verse speed is 12mbs (fastest available here) and I can get anywhere from 8-11.5mbs 400ft away across the street.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

13 years ago

I was reading this thread due to similar problems we experienced recently.  I'm fairly versed in simple network setup (been using computer since 87), and have messed with small network for the last several years.  I've tried everything, your usual changing channel, power settings, etc.  Nothing worked.  Also, our house is some distance away from neighbors, and nothing changed in the house.  Other household appliances, such as microwave, are far away.

Everyone talked about interference, etc, but why no one talked about the fact that the RG might become defective?  When my wireless is down, the wireless light on my RG is not even on.  Isn't it possible that RG is the problem?  Haven't talked to ATT tech support yet.  Frankly, if I can just go out and get a wireless router and fix the problem, I would rather do that than spending time with tech support.

Expert

• 

23.3K Messages

13 years ago

The way I resolved the drop in my wireless connection was unplug the RG for 30 seconds and reconnect it.  After that everything was fine.  It could be that your RG is going bad.  It could be that my RG is going bad, but that is what I did.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

13 years ago

I've tried unplugging power, changing channels, and all kinds of other stuff.  Finally gave up, deactivated the RG's wireless, bought a Linksys router and used the Linksys as an access point.  No problems ever since.

Expert

• 

24.3K Messages

13 years ago

Sometimes that's the only option, and it works.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

13 years ago

I am a new AT&T U-Verse customer and so far I have had a bad experience with the internet.  First box was bad (not sure what model) it was looked very outdated and huge!!!........Tech comes out and replaced with the 2Wire 3801HGV.  Look like a good router, worked for a few days and now the wireless keeps dropping out and the only way I can get it back on is to restart it. Very annoying!!.......Wired part works great run at 11.5 to 12mb all the time.  Hate dealing with there techs seem to know nothing.  Anyone have any idea whats wrong?  I have read into this thread and we recently have an addition to our family that requires the use of baby monitors......would that really interfere?.......Also, I use to have my own router when I used another carrier. It is a Netgear N600 WNDR3700 router the tech said it would interfere with there router if I used it, I find this hard to believe.  Would it be better to just turn the wireless off on the 2Wire and use my Netgear N? 

Expert

• 

24.3K Messages

13 years ago

I can't prove it was a baby monitor, but after the next door neighbors (on my office/RG's side) moved away, the UV RGs WAP worked again.  Anything is possible, I suppose.

Have you checked to make sure the channel is not set to Auto?

You may need to try another channel, one that is being less-used in your 'hood.
http://192.168.1.254/xslt?PAGE=C_2_1

On that same page link, make sure Wi-Fi Protected Setup is DISABLED. Be sure to hit Save.

Try downloading inSSIDer and see where your neighbors are, and take a look at your signal strength.

http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/

I see no reason why the Netgear would cause a problem with the UV RG as long as you DISABLE the UV RGs WAP.  But that may be what the tech was thinking, if you tried running a WAP from both routers.

If swapping channels doesn't work, give your Netgear a try and see what happens.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.