Need help with your equipment?
evrlast985's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Thursday, October 18th, 2012 7:05 PM

AT&T is BLOCKING my site hosted by GoDaddy.com

my website GoBanter.com is hosted through godaddy and I have not been able to access it from any computer at my office and at my house where I have AT&T cable service. Spoke with GoDaddy customer service and they are reporting that it is a problem they are working on fixing with AT&T. 

Can AT&T block certain websites arbitrarily, is this an example of censorship like what they have in China?

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

I am now experiencing this issue. My sites on Godaddy have been unaccessible since 3/14/2013. I have been on the phone back and forth with Godaddy and AT&T and finally reached a Level2 tech with AT&T that confirmed that AT&T blocked the Godaddy IP Address. Here is AT&T's response:

"The website you are trying to reach is hosted on a server that has been compromised and was involved in malicious activity. AT&T has blocked the IP address on our network. We have directions on how to identify the vulnerability so the hosting provider would need to contact noc@att.net and specify the IP address being blocked for instructions on how to remove the vulnerability and get the block lifted."

When I called Godaddy they claimed they have never ever heard of this, but from just a quick internet search I see this same issue goes back as far as 2008. But they expect me to believe this is the first time this has ever happened.

AT&T has tried several times to push me off on CommTech but I have told them no way am I paying them to resolve an AT&T issue. If they have identified that they blocked the IP they can very well as easily remove it. Why should I pay CommTech for that. Ridiculous!!!

Godaddy pretty much said they are not sending an email, that AT&T needs to take care of it. 

I have already purchased hosting elsewhere and as soon as I can acess my FTP, and my Mysql datbases on the Godaddy Server, I am moving all my sites off Godaddy. (All my sites are ecommerce sites and I really don't want to build them over from scratch, but if I can get the files it would be a quick switch over to the new host)  

I have been with Godaddy 6 years and never had an issue until now. As long as you don't have a technical issue things worked fine, but good luck getting a decent response from those guys when things go wrong.

T.C.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

My site republicofstrength.com and email is being blocked by At&T. My web host, bluehost, has informed me that ATT has caused this block so all Internet through att and their cellular data will not allow me or any of my customers use my site. I am also being blocked from my email so I cannot be contacted by customers and current clients, which can mean a loss of income. Att wants me to pay a monthly subscription to speak with someone about this issue...seems like extortion. I am not even told what the problem is the customer service rep gives me a giant runaround that always leads to speaking to a technician which I must pay for beforehand.
I have had att services for cell phone, uverse at home and Internet at my gym for 5 years. I am not at all happy with their handling of this situation and plan to move my services soon. I hope someone has an answer for me that doesn't quire me to pay before they explain my problem. Terrible company!!

Teacher

• 

20 Messages

11 years ago

i'm on BlueHost and am having the exact same problem.  this is beyond outrageous.

Former Community Manager

• 

10.4K Messages

11 years ago

Hello guys, did you see what was posted above? Seems to be an explanation of the issue and instructions on how to address:

"The website you are trying to reach is hosted on a server that has been compromised and was involved in malicious activity. AT&T has blocked the IP address on our network. We have directions on how to identify the vulnerability so the hosting provider would need to contact noc@att.net and specify the IP address being blocked for instructions on how to remove the vulnerability and get the block lifted."

It sounds like a security issue, can you check with BlueHost to see if they can email AT&T at noc@att.net?

Update: It was brought to my attention that the email address posted here is outdated, please send me a private message by clicking here for updated contact info.

Some good info here too.

Thanks,

Dmitriy

Teacher

• 

20 Messages

11 years ago

i have contacted Blue Host, and according to them AT&T is not being very cooperative at all.  but beyond that, AT&T is the bad guy here, not Blue Host.  what you are doing is shutting down hundreds if not thousands of small businesses in order to hunt down some alleged "bad guy".  there is absolutely no need to block all traffic to the suspect IP address in order to solve whatever problem there might be.  this is ridiculous.

Mentor

• 

28 Messages

11 years ago

I can't access my Bluehost-hosted website either.  This is intolerable, AT&T.  Quit blocking your customers' websites or watch us leave in droves.

Former Community Manager

• 

10.4K Messages

11 years ago

Thank you for your posts guys! We apologize for the trouble. We're working with Bluehost to resolve these issues as quickly as possible.

Thanks for your patience.

Dmitriy

Teacher

• 

20 Messages

11 years ago

looks like the AT&T Blue Host server block has finally been lifted.  i would love to hear an official statement from AT&T as to exactly why they thought this action was necessary, and how they feel they were justified in disrupting the service of thousands of small businesses in order to chase down whatever it was they were chasing down. 

Mentor

• 

28 Messages

11 years ago

My site's back up too.  Thank goodness.  I hope AT&T and Bluehost have established a connection so this doesn't happen again.

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

11 years ago

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shared_web_hosting_service

This is happening because you are using vertual hosting. There could be 100's of "sites" using the same IP address. Thats how they offer such cheap hosting.

The problem is that if one of them hosts some malware then all of them get blacklisted becasue they are all sitting on the same IP. If its happening on AT&T then its more then likely happening on other ISP's also.

If you can't afford to have this happen then step up and get dedicated web hosting. Where you are the only site on that IP.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.