Need help with your equipment?
Sylliec's profile

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

Sunday, February 16th, 2014 10:05 AM

AT&T iphone cannot connect to AT&T u-verse wifi

My AT&T iphone has no problem keeping wi-fi connections, EXCEPT when I'm trying to connect to my home U-verse wifi (via the pacer 3600 AT&T router). The connection constantly drops off and back on. Other devices have no problem connecting to the U-verse wifi either. The result is that my AT&T wireless bill goes through the roof for exceeding my data limits because my AT&T home internet service drops the connection. Am I being paranoid or is AT&T doing this on purpose? Or is there a fix for this problem?

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

10 years ago

I have found that when this starts happening, that a quick restart of my RG (2Wire 3600) wil usually resolve the problem for several weeks.

One thing I have noticed is that if I let this go for longer, my Apple Mac computers will start having wifi problems, and eventually the Lenovo laptop PC's will start having problems too.  I just use the iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch devices as my "canary" to determine that my router needs a restart.

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

10 years ago

Thanks for the tip. I tried it but it didn't help. I also checked for interference, changed the wifi channel, "forgot the network" on my iphone, and did many other suggestions, including freezing my iphone. To no avail.

AT&T is purposely kicking my iphone off the Uverse wifi to force me to use my iPhone's 4g data plan. Sounds paranoid I know. But it's the only remaining explanation.

I wish AT&T would respond to this comment .

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

10 years ago

I can't believe that AT&T is doing as you claim.  I say that because I have been using an AT&T iPhone for about 6-7 years, and I have had U-Verse home internet for 2 years now, and I don't have the problem you are.  I have identified that my router does have issues and needs to be restarted every few months, but as soon as I do, it is back to normal.

I woud suggest making an appointment at an Apple Store Genuis Bar and have them take alook at your iPhone.  It is possible that your iPhone needs repairs.  You might also try making a backup of your iPhone first, and restore it as a new device to test and see if it works properly,  It is possible that something installed on your iPhone is causing the problems.

Teacher

• 

29 Messages

10 years ago

Make sure you turn off mac address thingy on your u-verse internet. i turned this on and had someone come over and tried to connect to our network. The password was correct but was unable to connect, so I disabled it and they connected with no problems.

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

10 years ago

Geekboy, thanks for the suggestions but I already met with a Genius Bar genius at the apple store and their diagnostics found nothing wrong with my iPhone's wifi. But I took that with a grain of salt.

What convinced me that it was a problem with the AT&T 2wire is that my iPhone's wifi works everywhere else. And my Att router has no problem streaming netflix on my roku.

Therefore the problem is specific between the 2wire router and my iphone. The only party who gains with this problem is my AT&T 4g wireless account. Because I keep on exceeding my data limits, one gig at a time,

This is not rocket science. AT&T could fix it, but they haven't. Nor have they responded to this comment yet.

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

10 years ago

Thanks for the suggestion about the MAC address. I will try it and if successful I will report back.

But frankly I have tried so many different "tweeks" with my iphone and with the 2 wire that I feel exasperated. Sometimes things temporarily imprroves but not for long.

Again AT&T, this isn't rocket science and I'm no fool. Get your act together and provide me the service I'm paying for.
Thank you

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

10 years ago

Geek boy here's an article you may find interesting

Comcast, Google, Microsoft Form 'WiFi Forward' Coalition at
http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/127765

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

10 years ago

@Sylliec wrote:
Geek boy here's an article you may find interesting

Comcast, Google, Microsoft Form 'WiFi Forward' Coalition at
http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/127765

I looked at your link, and didn't see anything really new or exciting there.  Granted AT&T spent money to expand their celluar technology networks, so I can understand them wanting to recover some of those costs, and not just giving it away for free.

If I'm not mistaken, one of the major cable providers is already turning their residential customers homes into free wifi hot spots (for their own customers). If the cable providers were really such strong proponets that there should be universal free wifi, why aren't they providing the service free to everyone and not just their own customers?

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

10 years ago

@Sylliec wrote:
What convinced me that it was a problem with the AT&T 2wire is that my iPhone's wifi works everywhere else. And my Att router has no problem streaming netflix on my roku.

Therefore the problem is specific between the 2wire router and my iphone. The only party who gains with this problem is my AT&T 4g wireless account. Because I keep on exceeding my data limits, one gig at a time,

This is not rocket science. AT&T could fix it, but they haven't. Nor have they responded to this comment yet.

I understand your reasoning, but there are still plenty of possible explanations which could explain your situation.  First off,  understand that by design, Apple will turn off wifi on an iPhone if the screen goes into auto lock mode.  This catches many people off guard, and their phone drops to cellular data because it is trying to turn off wifi to conserve battery.  Connecting your iPhone to an external power source should resolve that, but some people have reported that their iPhone 5 will still turn off the wifi when connected to external power.

Next thing you to do to help prove it is AT&T is to connect your own wifi access point to your home network and then connect to your own access point for wifi.  If the problem still happens, then it's not AT&T doing it.  By using your own wifi access point, you are only presenting AT&T with another network device and they have no way of knowing it is being used by an iPhone, so if it is AT&T trying to "scam you" this would stop that.

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

10 years ago

@GeekBoy wrote:

If I'm not mistaken, one of the major cable providers is already turning their residential customers homes into free wifi hot spots (for their own customers). If the cable providers were really such strong proponets that there should be universal free wifi, why aren't they providing the service free to everyone and not just their own customers?

Yep, it's Comcast.

http://www.geeksares*e*xy.net/2013/06/10/comcast-turns-customer-routers-into-public-wifi-hotspots/

(You'll need to remove the two "*" bracketing the "e" in the link above)

if I found my provider using a device for which I pay a monthly rental to provide a "public service" which provides no benefit to me while increasing the possible RF interference in my home, and generating the potential that a security flaw in their device could further increase the security risks of my home network, the best that they could hope for is that I put their box inside a Faraday Shield.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.