Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Nov 22, 2012
12:11:22 PM
View profile
emergency alert system weekly test

i recently seen a weekly test of the emergency alert system it happend twice today  the first time it happens around 12:20 and then later at 3:00 or 3:10 it scared me it popped up with a banner on the screen i guessed a Special Packet with the text ***REQUIRED WEEKLY TEST*** on the screen on the second Emergency alert system test the Siren sound was a little Distorted 

i recently seen a weekly test of the emergency alert system it happend twice today  the first time it happens around 12:20 and then later at 3:00 or 3:10 it scared me it popped up with a banner on the screen i guessed a Special Packet with the text ***REQUIRED WEEKLY TEST*** on the screen on the second Emergency alert system test the Siren sound was a little Distorted 

(1)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Nov 22, 2012 2:01:03 PM
(1)
ACE - Master

Here's why:

Station requirements

The FCC requires all broadcast stations and multichannel video programming distributors (MVPD) to install and maintain FCC-certified EAS decoders and encoders at their control points or headends unless they have been designated a non-participating station by the FCC. These decoders continuously monitor the signals from other nearby broadcast stations for EAS messages. For reliability, at least two source stations must be monitored, one of which must be a designated local primary. Stations are to retain the latest version of the EAS handbook.

Stations are required by federal law to keep logs of all received required monthly test, required weekly test, emergency action notification, and emergency action termination messages. Logs may be kept by hand but are usually kept automatically by a small receipt printer in the encoder/decoder unit. Logs may also be kept electronically inside the unit as long as there is access to an external printer or method to transfer them to a personal computer. While only the four aforementioned events are required by federal law to be logged, most stations log all received activations.

In addition to the audio messages transmitted by radio stations, television stations must also transmit a visual message. A text "crawl" is displayed at the top of the screen that contains all of the information encoded in the initial SAME header. A color coded "crawl" system is often used where the color signifies the priority of the message. Some television stations transmit only the visual message which is outside of the requirements. A television station may be used for monitoring by another station and thus the audio is necessary.

Participating stations are required by federal law to relay EAN (Emergency Action Notification) messages immediately (47 CFR Part 11.54).[9] Stations traditionally have been allowed to opt out of relaying other alerts such as severe weather, and child abduction emergencies (AMBER Alerts) if they so choose.

Non-participating stations do not relay National messages. Instead they transmit a message instructing listeners/viewers to tune to another station for the information, and they must then suspend their operation.

System test

All EAS equipment must be tested weekly. The required weekly test (RWT) consists, at a minimum, of the header and the end-of-message SAME bursts. Though a RWT does not need an audio or graphic message announcing the test, many stations will provide them as a courtesy to the public. Television stations are not required to transmit a video message for weekly tests. RWTs are scheduled by the station, on random days and times, and are generally not relayed.

Required monthly tests (RMTs) are generally originated by the primary relay station, a state emergency management agency, or by the National Weather Service (NOAA/NWS) and are then relayed by broadcast and cable stations. RMTs must be performed between 8:30 a.m. and local sunset during odd numbered months, and local sunset to 8:30 am for even months. Received monthly tests must be re-transmitted within 60 minutes from receipt.Additionally, an RMT should not be scheduled or conducted during an event of great importance such as a pre-announced Presidential speech, coverage of a national/local election, major local or national news coverage outside regularly scheduled newscast hours or a major national sporting event such as the Super Bowl or World Series, with other events such as the Daytona 500 and Olympic Games mentioned in individual EAS state plans.

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Accepted Solution

emergency alert system weekly test

20 replies
(1) Me too
(1) Me too
View all replies
(20)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 22, 2012 1:29:00 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

What is the reason for your post?  You don't like the weekly test or the siren was distorted?

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

What is the reason for your post?  You don't like the weekly test or the siren was distorted?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: emergency alert system weekly test

2 of 21 (9,088 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 22, 2012 1:36:06 PM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by debra8595 on Nov 22, 2012 at 1:36:57 PM

the reason is that i don't like the weekly test 

[ Edited ]
3 of 21 (9,083 Views)
(1)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Nov 22, 2012 2:01:03 PM
(1)
ACE - Master

Here's why:

Station requirements

The FCC requires all broadcast stations and multichannel video programming distributors (MVPD) to install and maintain FCC-certified EAS decoders and encoders at their control points or headends unless they have been designated a non-participating station by the FCC. These decoders continuously monitor the signals from other nearby broadcast stations for EAS messages. For reliability, at least two source stations must be monitored, one of which must be a designated local primary. Stations are to retain the latest version of the EAS handbook.

Stations are required by federal law to keep logs of all received required monthly test, required weekly test, emergency action notification, and emergency action termination messages. Logs may be kept by hand but are usually kept automatically by a small receipt printer in the encoder/decoder unit. Logs may also be kept electronically inside the unit as long as there is access to an external printer or method to transfer them to a personal computer. While only the four aforementioned events are required by federal law to be logged, most stations log all received activations.

In addition to the audio messages transmitted by radio stations, television stations must also transmit a visual message. A text "crawl" is displayed at the top of the screen that contains all of the information encoded in the initial SAME header. A color coded "crawl" system is often used where the color signifies the priority of the message. Some television stations transmit only the visual message which is outside of the requirements. A television station may be used for monitoring by another station and thus the audio is necessary.

Participating stations are required by federal law to relay EAN (Emergency Action Notification) messages immediately (47 CFR Part 11.54).[9] Stations traditionally have been allowed to opt out of relaying other alerts such as severe weather, and child abduction emergencies (AMBER Alerts) if they so choose.

Non-participating stations do not relay National messages. Instead they transmit a message instructing listeners/viewers to tune to another station for the information, and they must then suspend their operation.

System test

All EAS equipment must be tested weekly. The required weekly test (RWT) consists, at a minimum, of the header and the end-of-message SAME bursts. Though a RWT does not need an audio or graphic message announcing the test, many stations will provide them as a courtesy to the public. Television stations are not required to transmit a video message for weekly tests. RWTs are scheduled by the station, on random days and times, and are generally not relayed.

Required monthly tests (RMTs) are generally originated by the primary relay station, a state emergency management agency, or by the National Weather Service (NOAA/NWS) and are then relayed by broadcast and cable stations. RMTs must be performed between 8:30 a.m. and local sunset during odd numbered months, and local sunset to 8:30 am for even months. Received monthly tests must be re-transmitted within 60 minutes from receipt.Additionally, an RMT should not be scheduled or conducted during an event of great importance such as a pre-announced Presidential speech, coverage of a national/local election, major local or national news coverage outside regularly scheduled newscast hours or a major national sporting event such as the Super Bowl or World Series, with other events such as the Daytona 500 and Olympic Games mentioned in individual EAS state plans.

Here's why:

Station requirements

System test

4 of 21 (9,073 Views)
Solution
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 22, 2012 3:05:06 PM
(0)
Teacher

thank you for the explanation 

thank you for the explanation 

5 of 21 (9,052 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 24, 2012 4:53:27 PM
(0)
Professor

debra8595 wrote:

I do not like it either, especially when we have our Surround Sound on.  Scares the Bejesus out of our Golden Retriever.  I do like it that with our area, it always shows Alaska as part of our local viewing area, when we get the weekly alert.

"Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool!

Stimpy: So what'll happen?

Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?"

debra8595 wrote:

I do not like it either, especially when we have our Surround Sound on.  Scares the Bejesus out of our Golden Retriever.  I do like it that with our area, it always shows Alaska as part of our local viewing area, when we get the weekly alert.

"Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool!

Stimpy: So what'll happen?

Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?"

6 of 21 (8,880 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 24, 2012 6:23:05 PM
(0)
Master

You can not like them all you want, they are required by law so don't expect them to go away.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway

You can not like them all you want, they are required by law so don't expect them to go away.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway

7 of 21 (8,868 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 25, 2012 11:26:18 AM
(0)
Expert

Now you can cancel them.  I remember when a EAS went off you had to scramble for your remote to turn the TV volume.  Because it was so loud it seemed like it blow the speakers.  And there was no way to stop the alert.

Now you can cancel them.  I remember when a EAS went off you had to scramble for your remote to turn the TV volume.  Because it was so loud it seemed like it blow the speakers.  And there was no way to stop the alert.

8 of 21 (8,838 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 6, 2013 11:23:47 AM
(0)
Tutor

The only that bothers me about these message is how unequally loud they are to my current broadcast, it is totally unnecessary.  I don't need my speakers blown out for something out of my control.  I don't mind the messages themsevles, but they should be as loud as what I'm watching or at least in the ballpark.

The only that bothers me about these message is how unequally loud they are to my current broadcast, it is totally unnecessary.  I don't need my speakers blown out for something out of my control.  I don't mind the messages themsevles, but they should be as loud as what I'm watching or at least in the ballpark.

9 of 21 (6,940 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 6, 2013 12:49:51 PM
(0)
Teacher

ok the EAS ls loud but there is not any way to turn down the Volume Of the EAS but they should be not too loud to a point that it can cause hearing damage 

ok the EAS ls loud but there is not any way to turn down the Volume Of the EAS but they should be not too loud to a point that it can cause hearing damage 

10 of 21 (6,932 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 14, 2014 12:16:15 PM
(0)
Tutor

Isn't one of the problems that the EAS tests occur MORE often than weekly? I've had them occur 3x in the same day / same channel.

And each and every time it was a test, not an actual alert.

Today there has been two tests at approx 1:30pm and then at 3:00pm on TCM. Also, as somebody else has mentioned, my test alerts always include Alaska.

Isn't one of the problems that the EAS tests occur MORE often than weekly? I've had them occur 3x in the same day / same channel.

And each and every time it was a test, not an actual alert.

Today there has been two tests at approx 1:30pm and then at 3:00pm on TCM. Also, as somebody else has mentioned, my test alerts always include Alaska.

11 of 21 (6,685 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 19, 2014 12:43:25 PM
(0)
Teacher
i saw another Emergency alert system test again and it still has the state of Alaska in it this appears to be a glitch all the time and AT&T U-verse is not available in the state of Alaska
i saw another Emergency alert system test again and it still has the state of Alaska in it this appears to be a glitch all the time and AT&T U-verse is not available in the state of Alaska

12 of 21 (6,505 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 19, 2014 1:00:01 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by Lingoes on Sep 9, 2016 at 12:08:09 PM

There are areas that 1) have tests that go off more than once per week and/or 2) have abnormally loud alerts - that is not normal.  Please send a private message to the escalation team at AT&T U-verse Care, and someone will get in touch with you.  Please understand that a station, network or municipality might insert their own EBS test, outside AT&T's and those would be above AT&T's once per week and some of their tones are outrageous. 

There are areas that 1) have tests that go off more than once per week and/or 2) have abnormally loud alerts - that is not normal.  Please send a private message to the escalation team at AT&T U-verse Care, and someone will get in touch with you.  Please understand that a station, network or municipality might insert their own EBS test, outside AT&T's and those would be above AT&T's once per week and some of their tones are outrageous. 

[ Edited ]
13 of 21 (6,501 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 19, 2014 1:31:25 PM
(0)
Teacher
AT&T may be unable to fix the EAS weekly test that's my opinion

14 of 21 (6,491 Views)
(1)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 20, 2014 9:15:06 AM
(1)
ACE - Master

debra8595 wrote:

You are entitled to your opinion, as we all are.  When I first subscribed in 2008, the "weekly" tests were painfully loud and popped up, darned near every day.  They are now at a "normal" level and I never notice more than 1x/week.  So, my guess is that if it can be fixed in Indianapolis, Indiana - it should not be an issue to fix it anywhere.  If one is noticing louder than normal (now conjecture sez there may be some who say that any is too loud) or more than one test per week, I would recommend that they send a private message to the escalation team at AT&T Customer Care, and someone will get in touch with you.

debra8595 wrote:

You are entitled to your opinion, as we all are.  When I first subscribed in 2008, the "weekly" tests were painfully loud and popped up, darned near every day.  They are now at a "normal" level and I never notice more than 1x/week.  So, my guess is that if it can be fixed in Indianapolis, Indiana - it should not be an issue to fix it anywhere.  If one is noticing louder than normal (now conjecture sez there may be some who say that any is too loud) or more than one test per week, I would recommend that they send a private message to the escalation team at AT&T Customer Care, and someone will get in touch with you.

15 of 21 (6,448 Views)
(1)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 25, 2014 8:17:57 AM
(1)
Contributor

I have the same issue that the EAB Emergency Alert Broadcast meesages are way too loud.  They scare my little one.  2nd I feel the volume could damage my speakers.  The level is way too high.

I have the same issue that the EAB Emergency Alert Broadcast meesages are way too loud.  They scare my little one.  2nd I feel the volume could damage my speakers.  The level is way too high.

16 of 21 (6,363 Views)
(1)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 25, 2014 8:27:23 AM
(1)
Teacher
ok i usually turn down my tv speakers to keep the noise from damaging my ears and AT&T Needs to fix this
ok i usually turn down my tv speakers to keep the noise from damaging my ears and AT&T Needs to fix this

17 of 21 (6,357 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 25, 2014 11:25:30 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

debra8595 wrote:

Have you sent a private message to the escalation team at AT&T Customer Care? Again, it's not broken in every area.  My alert siren sound is at the same level as normal programming and I don't have any more than 1 test per week.  AT&T can only work on it, if they know what areas are doing this in.

debra8595 wrote:

Have you sent a private message to the escalation team at AT&T Customer Care? Again, it's not broken in every area.  My alert siren sound is at the same level as normal programming and I don't have any more than 1 test per week.  AT&T can only work on it, if they know what areas are doing this in.

18 of 21 (6,344 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 7, 2015 1:47:34 PM
(0)
Contributor

So the Emergency tests cannot be turned off? I was trying to record a show and that stupid TEST came up in the middle of the show and ruined the recording. I had to start all over again. I can see if it was an actual emergency but its a TEST... why do we have to see this?

So the Emergency tests cannot be turned off? I was trying to record a show and that stupid TEST came up in the middle of the show and ruined the recording. I had to start all over again. I can see if it was an actual emergency but its a TEST... why do we have to see this?

19 of 21 (1,316 Views)
(1)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 7, 2015 8:17:26 PM
(1)
ACE - Guru
@Mokie724 The EAS test is not included in recordings.
@Mokie724 The EAS test is not included in recordings.

20 of 21 (1,273 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 22, 2015 10:01:55 AM
(0)
Tutor

...and this is why people are  dropping TV service providers and going with Netflix and Hulu!

...and this is why people are  dropping TV service providers and going with Netflix and Hulu!

21 of 21 (1,030 Views)