PeterAlt's profile

Mentor

• 

75 Messages

Thursday, July 17th, 2014 3:02 AM

New! 6.1 Dolby EX Surround Sound!

While changing the channels, I was on CNN-HD and noticed my audio system was picking up a Dolby EX 6.1 channel audio decoding flag. What this means is that the digital surround audio Dolby signal my system was picking up and decoding directly from my U-Verse HDMI connection was sending a signal that the standard 5.1 channel audio stream contained an extra surround channel for center back audio compressed within that signal. A modern audio system seeing that signal would extrapolate that extra channel in order to create a more immersive surround experience. Systems with two back channels (7.1) would split the center back channel between the left and right back channels instead of to a single center back surround channel. 5.1 audio uses three front channels, two surround channels, and a low frequency channel. 6.1 adds a back-center channel. 7.1 replaces that back center channel with two surround back channels for a total of four surround channels (surround left, back left, back right, surround right).

So far, I've only noticed CNN-HD using the 6.1 Dolby EX format. This would be better used for the movie channels, but I have not checked all the channels yet to see if any more have this.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Professor

• 

1.3K Messages

10 years ago

@Legirons wrote:

My U-verse was installed 7/8/14 and I am still trying to wade through what I have and what is different from the cable service.  The RG is hooked up exactly like the cable box which has a HDMI cable to a Sony AVR which drives 5 speakers, the TV via ARC and a Sony  Blu Ray.  I just noticed the display never shows what type sound it is such as dolby digital, the cable always did.  Do you are anyone else know why this is?

You have to make sure that you've setup your UVerse STB for outputting surround sound audio.

To do this:

1. Press Menu

2. Go to "Options"

3. Select "Audio/Language Options"

4. Select "Digital Audio Output"

5. Make sure the "Surround Sound" radio button is selected.

6. Press Save

This should give you surround sound audio.

Teacher

• 

46 Messages

10 years ago

My U-verse was installed 7/8/14 and I am still trying to wade through what I have and what is different from the cable service.  The RG is hooked up exactly like the cable box which has a HDMI cable to a Sony AVR which drives 5 speakers, the TV via ARC and a Sony  Blu Ray.  I just noticed the display never shows what type sound it is such as dolby digital, the cable always did.  Do you are anyone else know why this is?

Teacher

• 

46 Messages

10 years ago

That worked, thanks. 

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

9 years ago

The problem is that the Uverse box is not able to properly play audio on all channels in surround sound without it skipping.  The NFL Redzone channel is best example of the atrocious audio by Uverse.  I have seen many threads deleted on this topic as Uverse evidently is not able to solve the issue.  Direct TV does not have this problem.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

7 years ago

Can't thank you enough, been trying to get surround sound for so long and this fixed it in minutes!!!

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.