Petruk's profile

Teacher

• 

27 Messages

Wednesday, August 10th, 2011 10:36 PM

Losing Recordable Disk Space

Hello.  I'm having a problem with my recording disk space.  I noticed it last week.  Recordings were disappearing on me.  I checked the disk space, and it was 96% full with just two one hour HD programs and two two hour HD movies.  My first thought was, what the heck is going on.  When I calmed down, I did a reboot of the DVR/STB.  That seemed to fix the problem.  But not so fast.  Last night I checked my disk space again.  This time with just two one hour HD programs, I had only 76% usable space available.  Another reboot brought it back to 98% usable space available.

I haven't contacted customer service yet, because I know the tier one person will want to do a reboot, even though I've done it twice.  It doesn't seem to matter if you tell them you've already done a reboot, they want to do it anyway.  Any ideas what could be the problem? I dread having to get a new box.  I'd have to set up all my series again. 😞

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

13 years ago

First, scheduled recordings and series recordings are maintained on A&T's server; therefore, if you have to get a new DVR, you do not have set them up again.  Second, you can try a disaster recovery to see that eliminates the issue as follows:

I would suggest that you perform a disaster recovery to reclaim the full recording capacity of your DVR:

1. Unplug the DVR

2. Hold down the OK and Down Arrow buttons

3. While still holding down the buttons, plug the DVR back in.

4. Release the buttons

The gears will appear on the screen and the software will be reloaded.  It will take several minutes to complete.  If the gears do not appear, a disaster recovery process has not been initiated.  Please repeat the steps until you see the gears.

Please not that this process will delete any recordings that you have on the DVR.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Teacher

• 

27 Messages

13 years ago

I ran the disaster recovery, and the gears appeared.  Before I ran it, I checked the disk space.  With no recordings I had 96% of recording space available.  After running it, I have 100% recording space available.  Looks like that fixed the problem. Smiley Happy

Thanks to everyone for helping me with this.  It's very much appreciated. 

Teacher

• 

27 Messages

13 years ago

@texasguy37 wrote:

First, scheduled recordings and series recordings are maintained on A&T's server; therefore, if you have to get a new DVR, you do not have set them up again.  Second, you can try a disaster recovery to see that eliminates the issue as follows:

I would suggest that you perform a disaster recovery to reclaim the full recording capacity of your DVR:

1. Unplug the DVR

2. Hold down the OK and Down Arrow buttons

3. While still holding down the buttons, plug the DVR back in.

4. Release the buttons

The gears will appear on the screen and the software will be reloaded.  It will take several minutes to complete.  If the gears do not appear, a disaster recovery process has not been initiated.  Please repeat the steps until you see the gears.

Please not that this process will delete any recordings that you have on the DVR.

Thanks texasguy37.  I'll give that a try and let you know if it worked. 

Teacher

• 

27 Messages

13 years ago

Hi texasguy37.  I ran the disaster recovery as you suggested.  As far as seeing gears, the only thing I saw was the spinning circle, or what ever it's called, at the bottom right hand corner of the screen.  I ran the disaster recovery twice late last night, and once just a few minutes ago, all with the same spinning circle.  Not sure if that is what you meant by gears.

I did check the disk space, and it shows I have 97% available disk space with 2 one hour HD programs recorded and ready to be watched.

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

13 years ago

The gears (not the three dots) should appear after you release the buttons.  If the gears did not appear, no disaster recovery occurred.  The disaster recovery would also delete any recordings on the the DVR.

Teacher

• 

27 Messages

13 years ago

@texasguy37 wrote:

The gears (not the three dots) should appear after you release the buttons.  If the gears did not appear, no disaster recovery occurred.  The disaster recovery would also delete any recordings on the the DVR.

Ahh, ok.  I got the three dots.  I will give it another go.

Guru

• 

644 Messages

13 years ago

Make sure you hold the buttons down when u are unplugging it. So hold the buttons 1st then uplug it

Teacher

• 

27 Messages

13 years ago

@Kong57 wrote:

Make sure you hold the buttons down when u are unplugging it. So hold the buttons 1st then uplug it

Thanks for the instructions. I've been unplugging, then holding down the buttons. 

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

13 years ago

@Petruk wrote:
Thanks for the instructions. I've been unplugging, then holding down the buttons. 

That is the correct procedure.  The steps that I outlined do work for a disaster recovery.

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

13 years ago

While you're holding down the buttons, and you plug the unit back in, keep holding the buttons down for several seconds until the screen with the gear comes up.

The gear is very obvious, it doesn't look like the rotating circle from the normal startup.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.