kbathsinc's profile

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

Wednesday, January 16th, 2013 1:42 AM

Is the ATT DVR really this stupid, or am I?

I simply want to pause a show and then watch the rest of it later. As far as I can tell, the stupid dvr goes to sleep after 6 hours and then you have to start the show over, no option to resume. With Directv I could pause a show and anytime, from anywhere, even if the dvr lost power and restarted, resume and pick up where I left off.

Expert

• 

23.3K Messages

11 years ago

So the answer to the OP's question is...

Smiley Wink

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

RCSMG - You missed it? or you want the OP to say what they got out of the discussion?

I believe the answer is -
The pause button will stop a recording and leave it vulnerable to loosing its place. You can only restart by coming back & un-pause. If the pause is lost you can only start again from the beginning. THe menu on the recording list does not include the resume play option.

The stop button, last button,chan up, chan down or direct entry of a channel number will all stop the recording and save the place in the recordings vault. If you jump back to the channel 9999 with a last button, & probably the other buttons, the recording will continue from where it stopped. If you look it up in the recordings list it will include the resume play option.

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

11 years ago

So today it did work, although yesterday I pressed stop too. I'm thinking my kids watched some of it yesterday while I was out, paused it and it it shut down and lost its place. So my idea to remove the pause button may be a good one unless, for some crazy reason, I want to watch and pause live tv. Although I have a hunch that stop would work there too. Maybe I'll watch something with commercials and find out.

ACE - Expert

• 

27.7K Messages

11 years ago

@kbathsinc wrote:

So today it did work, although yesterday I pressed stop too. I'm thinking my kids watched some of it yesterday while I was out, paused it and it it shut down and lost its place. So my idea to remove the pause button may be a good one unless, for some crazy reason, I want to watch and pause live tv. Although I have a hunch that stop would work there too. Maybe I'll watch something with commercials and find out.

The stop button won't do anything during live TV.  Only the pause button.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

11 years ago

If I am watching a recorded program, I can turn off the DVR, then when I turn it back on, it resumes play from the same spot -- without any other button pushing -- it is just there, playing.

Master

• 

9.8K Messages

11 years ago

@rithomas_1 wrote:

If I am watching a recorded program, I can turn off the DVR, then when I turn it back on, it resumes play from the same spot -- without any other button pushing -- it is just there, playing.

Yep - that is what I and aviewer mentioned a few posts, up.   My wife found that out by going to bed and turning the box off, while playing a recorded show and wondering why "her show" started playing again, the next day.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

Here is another little tidbit - If you make channel 9999 a favorite, when you call up the favorites guide, the listing for 9999 shows the name of the show that is holding.

Voyager

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

edit I'm going to check facts again just incase I read wrong.. I can't believe that what people are talking about could be true either... pause and holding a place is a core DVR function

I heard from my kids that they couldn't just push pause when the phone rang or they got distacted (might be a 20 minute phone call might be2 minute but regardless the hole point of a DVR is to have control of your entire timing of video experience.

But.. are people saying that if I watch 20 minutes of pre-recorded NOVA, then swtich for a while and watch another recorded show,  have a few other people use the DVR the next day in various ways, when I come back to my NOVA 3 days later it will forget where I left off?  I can't imagine that... that was there 13 years ago when DVRs first came out.

PS  I'm going to keep up to tabs with the changes going on and will switch to ATT once they get a decent DVR or they find a way to let people have access with a TIVO box . I really don't  like giving money to Comcast with it's huge role in creating content.  I don't like that conflict of interest from my carrier.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

Tom22 - There are two cases - You mention watching a recording - If you leave the recording before it ends - regardless of how you leave it - pause, stop, last, direct chan number - you can get back to where you were by last (unless another replaces it) or resume play on the recorded menu. You can get back to it from any TV. So can anyone else & then leave it at another place. If the recording completes playing you can only restart from the beginning.

The second case is watching live - If you press pause you can restart at the same place by pressing pause again or play. You can rewind. But, if you change channel it is gone. If you want to pause live TV it is safer to hit record. It will record from when you started watching the show. If you want to record drom the current point - chan up, chan down, record.

Master

• 

9.8K Messages

11 years ago

@aviewer wrote:
Tom22 - There are two cases - You mention watching a recording - If you leave the recording before it ends - regardless of how you leave it - pause, stop, last, direct chan number - you can get back to where you were by last (unless another replaces it) or resume play on the recorded menu. You can get back to it from any TV. So can anyone else & then leave it at another place. If the recording completes playing you can only restart from the beginning.

The second case is watching live - If you press pause you can restart at the same place by pressing pause again or play. You can rewind. But, if you change channel it is gone. If you want to pause live TV it is safer to hit record. It will record from when you started watching the show. If you want to record drom the current point - chan up, chan down, record.

aviewer: If someone had unlimited time and no life Smiley Very Happy, an interesting project would be to do a matrix describing what the DVR does in each case, i.e. pausing a DVR'd program as opposed to pressing stop or what happens after the program ends.  I tried the last one three times and got three different behaviors.  This DVR is odd and somewhat unpredictable.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.