Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Sep 19, 2011
3:33:25 PM
View profile
Hard Drive Too Small - and - Another bone to pick about the Interface

I've got a question - or probably more so a comment (since I searched formus allready) - about hard drive space.  I have the VIP 1225 box, and only 8 series, and keep only 2 per.  these vary from 30 mins to an hour a piece.  I am constantly running our of hard drive space - specially when I decide to record something not in a series.  Is it just me, or is the hard drive way too small?  Is there a way to get a larger hard drive (legitimately) or get a USB drive?

To help this situation I have opted to record a few in standard defenition.  This is where I have a bone to pick with the UI (not my first - see my other post about Guide interface).  I swiitched from Dish Network, and if I chose to record something in SD, it was as easy as choosing this option in the recording preferences.  In order to record in SD on uVerse I had to UnHide the SD channel from the Guide (which I dislike so much) so that I could have the option to record from the SD channel.  Now, when I view the guide I have the SD channels on my list.

ATT please start making upgrades to this system - It is horrble.  I'd be more than happy to be in a test user group.

I've got a question - or probably more so a comment (since I searched formus allready) - about hard drive space.  I have the VIP 1225 box, and only 8 series, and keep only 2 per.  these vary from 30 mins to an hour a piece.  I am constantly running our of hard drive space - specially when I decide to record something not in a series.  Is it just me, or is the hard drive way too small?  Is there a way to get a larger hard drive (legitimately) or get a USB drive?

To help this situation I have opted to record a few in standard defenition.  This is where I have a bone to pick with the UI (not my first - see my other post about Guide interface).  I swiitched from Dish Network, and if I chose to record something in SD, it was as easy as choosing this option in the recording preferences.  In order to record in SD on uVerse I had to UnHide the SD channel from the Guide (which I dislike so much) so that I could have the option to record from the SD channel.  Now, when I view the guide I have the SD channels on my list.

ATT please start making upgrades to this system - It is horrble.  I'd be more than happy to be in a test user group.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Sep 19, 2011 4:38:03 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Edited by texasguy37 on Sep 19, 2011 at 4:38:50 PM

DJHarris71 wrote:

Here is the screen shot

As I suspected, all of your recordable space on the DVR is not available.  The Total Space amount should be 207.2 GB instead of 40.8 GB.

I would suggest that you perform a disaster recovery to reclaim the full recording capacity of your DVR:

1. Unplug the DVR

2. Hold down the OK and Down Arrow buttons

3. While still holding down the buttons, plug the DVR back in.

4. Release the buttons

The gears, not the 3 dots, will appear on the screen and the software will be reloaded.  It will take several minutes to complete.  If the gears do not appear, a disaster recovery process has not been initiated.  Please repeat the steps until you see the gears.

Please note that this process will delete any recordings that you have on the DVR.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Accepted Solution

Hard Drive Too Small - and - Another bone to pick about the Interface

21 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(21)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 19, 2011 3:45:56 PM
(0)
Guru

The SD channels are below 1000.  It's not that hard to view channels above 1000 in the guide.

The SD channels are below 1000.  It's not that hard to view channels above 1000 in the guide.

Re: Hard Drive Too Small - and - Another bone to pick about the Interface

2 of 22 (1,053 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 19, 2011 4:06:04 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
DJHarris71 - Are you saying you are running out of space at 20 shows? I have seen posts of people getting a new DVR and having essentially no space. They had to do a hard reboot to get the space back.

Have you looked at the graph of space available?

I currently have 60 recordings - 50% space up to 108 hours SD or 39 hours HD remaining - according to the graph.

I have had many more shows than this. Seems like you need to do a hard reboot - You will lose the recordings you have. Maybe you need a new DVR.
DJHarris71 - Are you saying you are running out of space at 20 shows? I have seen posts of people getting a new DVR and having essentially no space. They had to do a hard reboot to get the space back.

Have you looked at the graph of space available?

I currently have 60 recordings - 50% space up to 108 hours SD or 39 hours HD remaining - according to the graph.

I have had many more shows than this. Seems like you need to do a hard reboot - You will lose the recordings you have. Maybe you need a new DVR.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 22 (1,049 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 19, 2011 4:15:41 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

DJHarris71 wrote:

If your DVR is maxing out at 16 hours of HD (8 x 1 x 2), you definitely have an issue.  The Motorola VIP1225 holds approximately 80 hours of HD or 219 hours of SD recordings (Recorded TV --> Recording space).

Can you download and install SomeJoe's tool at the link below?

http://www.uverserealtime.com/

Once you install the tool, please post screenshots of the following tab: Channels/Stream

If the screenshots shows what I suspect, I will tell you how to reclaim all of the recordable space on the DVR.

DJHarris71 wrote:

If your DVR is maxing out at 16 hours of HD (8 x 1 x 2), you definitely have an issue.  The Motorola VIP1225 holds approximately 80 hours of HD or 219 hours of SD recordings (Recorded TV --> Recording space).

Can you download and install SomeJoe's tool at the link below?

http://www.uverserealtime.com/

Once you install the tool, please post screenshots of the following tab: Channels/Stream

If the screenshots shows what I suspect, I will tell you how to reclaim all of the recordable space on the DVR.

4 of 22 (1,046 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 19, 2011 4:30:04 PM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by ShaunMN on Sep 19, 2011 at 5:17:03 PM

@jimfitzgerald:  {Please keep it courteous}  I never said they were hard to view,  I'd rather not view them (in my guide) at all.  but in order to record SD - i do have to view them (in my guide).

@jimfitzgerald:  {Please keep it courteous}  I never said they were hard to view,  I'd rather not view them (in my guide) at all.  but in order to record SD - i do have to view them (in my guide).

[ Edited ]
5 of 22 (1,041 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 19, 2011 4:33:40 PM
(0)
Teacher

Here is the screen shot

Here is the screen shot

6 of 22 (1,039 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Sep 19, 2011 4:38:03 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Edited by texasguy37 on Sep 19, 2011 at 4:38:50 PM

DJHarris71 wrote:

Here is the screen shot

As I suspected, all of your recordable space on the DVR is not available.  The Total Space amount should be 207.2 GB instead of 40.8 GB.

I would suggest that you perform a disaster recovery to reclaim the full recording capacity of your DVR:

1. Unplug the DVR

4. Release the buttons

The gears, not the 3 dots, will appear on the screen and the software will be reloaded.  It will take several minutes to complete.  If the gears do not appear, a disaster recovery process has not been initiated.  Please repeat the steps until you see the gears.

Please note that this process will delete any recordings that you have on the DVR.

DJHarris71 wrote:

Here is the screen shot

1. Unplug the DVR

4. Release the buttons

[ Edited ]
7 of 22 (1,036 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 19, 2011 4:41:37 PM
(0)
Teacher

That's funny.  my box is a disaster.  I'd agree..  While I am doing this.  perhaps you can tell me any other info about my setup from these screen shots.

That's funny.  my box is a disaster.  I'd agree..  While I am doing this.  perhaps you can tell me any other info about my setup from these screen shots.

8 of 22 (1,033 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 19, 2011 4:44:39 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

I don't see any obvious issues from those 2 screenshots.  Are you having any other issues with your system?

You might also want to post the IP/Profile tab.

I don't see any obvious issues from those 2 screenshots.  Are you having any other issues with your system?

You might also want to post the IP/Profile tab.

9 of 22 (1,031 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 19, 2011 5:13:56 PM
(0)
Teacher

Yes I am.

Sometimes dvr content is pexelated and choppy - seems worse on the secondary unit.

Even though this is not a dish type system - it still goes out in a heavy storm

the unit freezes up on occasion.

below is the IP/Profile screen shot:

Yes I am.

Sometimes dvr content is pexelated and choppy - seems worse on the secondary unit.

Even though this is not a dish type system - it still goes out in a heavy storm

the unit freezes up on occasion.

below is the IP/Profile screen shot:

10 of 22 (1,025 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 19, 2011 5:22:36 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

You should not be losing signals during heavy storms unless the electricity goes off at your residence.  The pixilated/choppy DR recordings could be indicative of some type of line issue.

After you do the disaster recovery process, you might want to call Technical Support at the number shown is my signature to have them runs some tests on your line.

You should not be losing signals during heavy storms unless the electricity goes off at your residence.  The pixilated/choppy DR recordings could be indicative of some type of line issue.

After you do the disaster recovery process, you might want to call Technical Support at the number shown is my signature to have them runs some tests on your line.

11 of 22 (885 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 19, 2011 5:48:45 PM
(0)
Teacher

The HD space is back.   Thanks for the help.

The HD space is back.   Thanks for the help.

12 of 22 (879 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 19, 2011 5:51:15 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

You're welcome.  You should now have about 5x more recordable space on your DVR.

You're welcome.  You should now have about 5x more recordable space on your DVR.

13 of 22 (877 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 20, 2011 10:01:52 PM
(0)
Professor
Actually it is more around 280 hours for SD, and 108 hours for HD.

"Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool!

Stimpy: So what'll happen?

Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?"

"Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool!

Stimpy: So what'll happen?

Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?"

14 of 22 (841 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 21, 2011 1:42:23 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Edited by texasguy37 on Sep 21, 2011 at 1:44:13 AM

gregzoll_1 wrote:

It depends on whether you have the Cisco or the Motorola DVR.  The large Cisco DVR has a 320 GB hard drive and can hold more recordings.  The large Motorol DVR, which the OP has, has a 250 GB hard drive and holds approximately 219 SD hours or 80 HD hours.

gregzoll_1 wrote:

It depends on whether you have the Cisco or the Motorola DVR.  The large Cisco DVR has a 320 GB hard drive and can hold more recordings.  The large Motorol DVR, which the OP has, has a 250 GB hard drive and holds approximately 219 SD hours or 80 HD hours.

[ Edited ]
15 of 22 (836 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 24, 2011 3:23:02 PM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by spencer.ryan on Sep 24, 2011 at 3:31:24 PM

texasguy37 I came here trying to figure out why the heck our Motorola DVR filled up so quickly (actually it was showing slighlty under half free even with no recordings)

UVReatime confirmed what I saw in an earlier post, the HD was showing up as 40GB, an okay+down reset seems to have fixed it, too bad this unit only seems to have ~120GB usable Smiley Happy

Any idea why this happens, and why it isn't fixed automatically (I'm an embedded software dev so I'm just curious)

Thanks again!

-Spencer

texasguy37 I came here trying to figure out why the heck our Motorola DVR filled up so quickly (actually it was showing slighlty under half free even with no recordings)

UVReatime confirmed what I saw in an earlier post, the HD was showing up as 40GB, an okay+down reset seems to have fixed it, too bad this unit only seems to have ~120GB usable Smiley Happy

Any idea why this happens, and why it isn't fixed automatically (I'm an embedded software dev so I'm just curious)

Thanks again!

-Spencer

[ Edited ]
16 of 22 (780 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 24, 2011 3:27:27 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Not sure why it happens.  I can only say that I have seen that issue reported before, and the disaster recovery steps will fix it.

Not sure why it happens.  I can only say that I have seen that issue reported before, and the disaster recovery steps will fix it.

17 of 22 (778 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 29, 2011 12:04:24 AM
(0)
Tutor

I'm having the same issue with the Motorola VIP1216.  I'm only getting 36 hours SD and 13 hours HD.  I tried the 'unplug/press okay&down/replug' thing to no avail.  Is there a way I can get my full storage?

I'm having the same issue with the Motorola VIP1216.  I'm only getting 36 hours SD and 13 hours HD.  I tried the 'unplug/press okay&down/replug' thing to no avail.  Is there a way I can get my full storage?

18 of 22 (739 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 29, 2011 12:08:34 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Yes, please read through the messages in this thread.

Yes, please read through the messages in this thread.

19 of 22 (736 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 30, 2011 8:27:44 AM
(0)
Tutor

I've been reading the messages in this thread.  I went and downloaded the uverse realtime software.  I ran the program and went to the channels/stream tab and saw similar results to that of the original poster. (I was showing  34.4 GB of available space).  Then I did a dvr disaster recovery using your instructions.  This didn't change my storage space.  All of my past recordings were lost. 

I'm not sure what you mean by seeing 'gears'.  If that refers to the arrow in the bottom corner going around in circles, then yes, I saw gears.  Still, I did the disaster recovery multiple times to no effect. 

At this point I don't what to do.  What would you suggest, Tex? 

Thanks.

I've been reading the messages in this thread.  I went and downloaded the uverse realtime software.  I ran the program and went to the channels/stream tab and saw similar results to that of the original poster. (I was showing  34.4 GB of available space).  Then I did a dvr disaster recovery using your instructions.  This didn't change my storage space.  All of my past recordings were lost. 

I'm not sure what you mean by seeing 'gears'.  If that refers to the arrow in the bottom corner going around in circles, then yes, I saw gears.  Still, I did the disaster recovery multiple times to no effect. 

At this point I don't what to do.  What would you suggest, Tex? 

Thanks.

20 of 22 (701 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 30, 2011 8:46:49 AM
(0)
Tutor

I just solved my own problem.  I was able to get what was unquestionably a gear on my screen.  The problem was that I wasn't holding down the okay and down arrows long enough after I replugged in the DVR.  Anyone else reading this thread and about to do a disaster recovery should keep those two buttons depressed for about five seconds before letting go. 

Anyways, thanks for the help.  I really thought this was going to be a lot more of an ordeal.

I just solved my own problem.  I was able to get what was unquestionably a gear on my screen.  The problem was that I wasn't holding down the okay and down arrows long enough after I replugged in the DVR.  Anyone else reading this thread and about to do a disaster recovery should keep those two buttons depressed for about five seconds before letting go. 

Anyways, thanks for the help.  I really thought this was going to be a lot more of an ordeal.

21 of 22 (688 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 30, 2011 8:49:42 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Good deal.  I'm glad that worked.

Good deal.  I'm glad that worked.

22 of 22 (684 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments