Posted Jan 22, 2014
9:37:53 AM
View profile
Getting Information - issue

New U-verse sub here.....pretty unhappy at the moment:smileysad:

The issue I am having is that when I go to the recordings-series screen, most of the entries show "Getting information" as their name (still shows the channel name). The name never gets filled in.

The support tech I talked with had a hard time grasping the issue, and yes the gateway was rebooted.

Getting Info.jpg

I called support today for a internet connectivty issue and was told that this is a "KNOWN" issue, and I can see as far back in this community as August 2013, but not much else about it.  Does anyone else have this issue and is it related to the gateway?....Tech told me that this was a provider issue, but it really makes it almost impossible to set up my recordings....

I have NOT been given any information on a fix or a timeframe for a fix. 

Getting Information - issue

15 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
View all replies
(15)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 22, 2014 10:11:56 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
carlking2 - I have never seen it on the recording side. I have seen it on the guide. Since you have not yet built up many recordings you might try a software reload. It did the job for me when the DVR would not complete a pull the power reboot.

You will lose shows previously recorded, but you will not lose your series setup. Of course, you do not want to do it when a recording is in progress.

Holding the down arrow, the OK button and the power button at the same time, will create what is called a disaster recovery (DR). You need to hold all those buttons at once till you see the 3 lights on the front of the DVR/STB flash. After that, you should get a gear and in about 20 minutes or so, everything should come back after that.

Unfortunately, doing the above will most likely result in you losing any recorded items you might have.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Getting Information - issue

2 of 16 (2,624 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 22, 2014 10:50:36 AM
(0)
Teacher
I will give that a shot.....

3 of 16 (2,615 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 22, 2014 11:38:39 AM
(0)
Teacher
Well...I went through that process and the issue persists....

4 of 16 (2,605 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 22, 2014 12:10:06 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
carlking2 - You could try a reboot of the RG. Only thing after that would be a new DVR.

This is on the DVR itself?? If on another STB -
Pull plug on RG, DVR, STBs. Restore in that order, waiting for green lights on RG and viewing on DVR before proceeding.
I might try that, just to try it.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

5 of 16 (2,601 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 22, 2014 6:04:27 PM
(0)
Teacher

I have rebooted and restarted everything more than once.  I called tech support again tonight and while claiming NO information about my call to tech support at 8:52 AM today. She again rebooted the RG and had me reboot the DVR.  After more than a hour on the phone she escalated the ticket and advanced support wants to send a tech out tomorrow to trouble shoot the issue.  I have spent around two hours on the phone today.....

My problem is that in addition to the 2 hours today on the phone today.  I must wait for a tech tomorrow from 8am-12pm.  I am thinking they may just pick all this stuff up and get out of my house at this point.

6 of 16 (2,580 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 23, 2014 10:23:08 AM
(0)
Teacher
As a update for ANYONE else who has this issue. The Tech arrived today within the timeslot window and called 30 minutes in advance. I demonstrated the problem...He performed a disaster recovery and got the same results I did, and he checked the wiring from the Gateway to the DVR. He decided to replace the DVR and other than a problem with the service saying the DVR did not match my account...which frustrated him because it was the same model, and his tablet said he could swap it. After he dealt with that problem.....New DVR booted and I am up and running. So long run unless something happens it appears that it was in the DVR itself. The tech did comment that they push software out way to fast to these units....

7 of 16 (2,555 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 23, 2014 10:27:13 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

It looks like to me that the problem was that the DVR was not properly associated with your account, i.e. the thing that caused him a problem swapping it out also caused the behavior that required him to swap it out in the first place.

I actually have the "Getting Information" happen on what I think are some very old Series recording setups, but the DVR otherwise functions correctly.

8 of 16 (2,553 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 28, 2014 6:05:32 AM
(0)
Teacher
Thanks for your feedback.... The issue has cropped up again today. I really don't have time to spend hours on the phone with them again this morning. I do know that the replacement DVR was not associated with my account, and the tech had to spend about 20 minutes getting it to accept it...he says it happens all the time.

I think they are going to want to run a NEW cat 5 From the RG to the DVR. Currently the installation Tech used my existing wired framework which has a Netgear 5 port Giga switch in between the RG and DVR. I have read else where that there can be issues with the switch getting flooded, but the only other device hooked up through it is my Sony Blue Ray player. The repair tech said that they only are to use a specific type of wire...said some of the RG's & DVR's don't play well with certain types. I really don't think it is a wiring issue, but hey....I am new to all this. It appears to me to be a database corruption or table view issue, because it appears that Uverse hosts the recording schedule remotely, and despite the "getting information" the series correctly record.

9 of 16 (2,493 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 28, 2014 12:30:07 PM
(0)
Teacher

Well I spent a hour on the phone today getting through tech support, and to my surprise they dispatched a tech ASAP.  He was at my house within a hour of getting off the Phone, and he spent 3 hours here trying to correct the problem.  He first noted that I had errors cropping up that were usually a port problem.  He swapped the ports and the issue still persisted.  After chatting with Tier 2 support and trying to reprovision, reboot the dvr and other various things the problem still persisted.  They decided to replace the Gateway...and it still persisted after that had been done.

While all that was going on I noticed that I could delete the series and then arrow over to it in the guide and if I hit the record button twice it would populate the series name correctly, but if I used the search function it would not.  The Tech then wanted to see how far out the guide was populated.  Only a few days....everything showed "getting information" out just a couple days.  I then found that I forced the guide to populate by using the fast forward button on the remote and leaping ahead a day at a time.  I could see that the guide was populating as I fast forwarded out to the end.  It would go from "getting information" to the proper show name.  I also had to page down and over to make it happen for my HD recordings.  After doing this all the show names were properly populated in the series manager screen.

The Tech believes that it is a product of all the updates that were done last week, and that the guide is for some reason not getting updated as it should.  This is a server side issue, and not related to any home equipment or lines.  His manager is going to try to escalate it up as a bug that needs to be fixed.  I at least for now have a work around.

10 of 16 (2,466 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 24, 2014 6:02:03 PM
(0)
Teacher
Well...after many months it appears that this issue has been fixed in the latest software push last week. It really would be much simpler for AT&T just to acknowledge a issue and say a fix is forthcoming, but then again I can also hope for world peace with about the same expectations...lol

11 of 16 (2,308 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 25, 2014 12:11:48 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

@carlking2 , so you have the new TV2 software version as well.

When did you notice it, and, if you don't mind saying, where are you located (city/state)?

12 of 16 (2,288 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 25, 2014 3:25:50 PM
(0)
Teacher

JefferMC wrote:

@carlking2 , so you have the new TV2 software version as well.

When did you notice it, and, if you don't mind saying, where are you located (city/state)?

It appeared Last Thursday (5/19) on all by boxes.....I noticed it immediately because of the bright white highlight outline on the grid guide.  I am located in Liberty, MO which is a suburb of Kansas City, MO.

13 of 16 (2,275 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 25, 2014 4:36:03 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Everyone that I've heard from so far that has the new software is in the Kansas City area.

14 of 16 (2,265 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 26, 2014 3:03:34 PM
(0)
Adventurer
Got it here in Oxford ,Alabama except on DVR and wireless box.

15 of 16 (2,244 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 26, 2014 6:22:48 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Which is also in Central Time.  AT&T would seem a big tease.

16 of 16 (2,232 Views)