browndk26's profile
ACE - Professor

ACE - Professor

• 

5.8K Messages

Friday, November 30th, 2012 5:56 PM

Ethernet port on the STB's

Is the ethernet port on the STB an inbound or outbound connection? Could I connect a blu ray player to the STB and get updates to the blu ray player? If it won't work, I would have to connect the blu ray player to the router, correct?

Award for Community Excellence Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Expert

• 

23.3K Messages

11 years ago

@JefferMC wrote:

One more caveat:  Plugging a wireless access point or router into the RJ45 port on the back of an STB/DVR is a really, really bad idea.

Why?

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

11 years ago

Because wireless access points react poorly to the multicast traffic.  And you're guaranteed to be getting the multicast traffic your STB is subscribed to on its Ethernet port.

Expert

• 

23.3K Messages

11 years ago

Thanks for the info Jeffer, I hadn't thought of that.

ACE - Professor

• 

5.8K Messages

11 years ago

If My son plugs his XBOX into the STB and plays online, will that degrade the TV signals? Would it be better for him to play using the wireless network or hardwired to the router itself instead of the STB? The XBOX would be the only extra device plugged into the STB.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

browndk26 - And, he is viewing the x-box on the TV. So, the STB is not being used for TV at that time.

If the STB were the DVR it could be recording or playing back. DVR would be a no-no.

But, a regular STB should not be a problem. Many people do it. If you have a problem stop.

Since it is not officially supported & you are in a repair situation with at&t disconnect it.

ACE - Professor

• 

5.8K Messages

11 years ago

Thanks. It won't be connected to the main DVR. It will be connected to one of the other STB's.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.