Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Jun 18, 2014
2:41:24 PM
View profile
Did you know that your DVR box is an energy hog?

Power Hogs of Home Entertainment 

Interesting article and eye-opening! Satellite boxes use about as much energy when they’re turned off.

I particularly noted this passage:

Energy experts say the boxes could be just as efficient as smartphones, laptop computers or other electronic devices that use a fraction of the power thanks to microprocessors and other technology that conserves electricity. Ideally, they say, these boxes could be put into a deep sleep mode when turned off, cutting consumption to a few watts. At that rate, a box could cost less than $1 a month for power, depending on how much it is used.

Power Hogs of Home Entertainment 

Interesting article and eye-opening! Satellite boxes use about as much energy when they’re turned off.

I particularly noted this passage:

Energy experts say the boxes could be just as efficient as smartphones, laptop computers or other electronic devices that use a fraction of the power thanks to microprocessors and other technology that conserves electricity. Ideally, they say, these boxes could be put into a deep sleep mode when turned off, cutting consumption to a few watts. At that rate, a box could cost less than $1 a month for power, depending on how much it is used.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Jun 18, 2014 7:00:08 PM
(0)
Expert
Fortunately, the U-Verse boxes use far less than the typical cable and satellite boxes.

A U-Verse STB (non-DVR unit) draws about 9 watts, whether on or on standby. The DVR draws a bit more, about 18 watts on or standby if the hard drive is spinning (i.e. recording or playback), only about 11 watts if the hard drive goes to sleep.

Satellite boxes tend to draw a lot more power than cable or IPTV units because the satellite boxes have to send power up to the LNB on the front of the dish, and to any multiswitches that are in the signal path.
Accepted Solution

Did you know that your DVR box is an energy hog?

4 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(4)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 18, 2014 2:48:38 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Whutchagunnado?
Whutchagunnado?
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Did you know that your DVR box is an energy hog?

2 of 5 (1,529 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 18, 2014 2:51:56 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Here is a post on another thread about this exact thing:  http://forums.att.com/t5/ACE-Lounge/Interesting-Factoid/m-p/4003444/highlight/true#M12243

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

Here is a post on another thread about this exact thing:  http://forums.att.com/t5/ACE-Lounge/Interesting-Factoid/m-p/4003444/highlight/true#M12243

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 5 (1,527 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Jun 18, 2014 7:00:08 PM
(0)
Expert
Fortunately, the U-Verse boxes use far less than the typical cable and satellite boxes.

A U-Verse STB (non-DVR unit) draws about 9 watts, whether on or on standby. The DVR draws a bit more, about 18 watts on or standby if the hard drive is spinning (i.e. recording or playback), only about 11 watts if the hard drive goes to sleep.

Satellite boxes tend to draw a lot more power than cable or IPTV units because the satellite boxes have to send power up to the LNB on the front of the dish, and to any multiswitches that are in the signal path.

4 of 5 (1,490 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 25, 2014 1:08:52 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Of course a one post wonder started this thread and never reappeared...........

Of course a one post wonder started this thread and never reappeared...........

5 of 5 (1,338 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments