For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
domino82's profile

Mentor

• 

78 Messages

Wednesday, September 14th, 2011 2:26 AM

DVR stuttering nightmare

I'm extremely frustrated with my U-Verse service and desperately need to vent.

For the past months, I've been having severe stuttering/freezing while playing back recorded programs. This occurs on all TVs in my house. Live TV, On Demand, Internet and Voice all work fine. However, this totally ruins my TV experience because I only watch recorded shows, never Live TV and rarely On Demand.

Last week after I finally decided it couldn't possibly be a temporary issue, I called support. I got the automated voice saying how busy they were which walked me through restarting the system. This did not fix my problem. Not wanting to waste more time with an automated voice support system, I tried chat support.

The chat support rep was quite helpful although extremely slow, and over the course of an hour he had me do a factory reset of my DVR box and when that didn't fix the issue, ordered me a replacement. The replacement arrived a couple of days ago (the setup of which was NOT plug and play, I might add) and several resets later now that it's actually able to record, I'm once again having stuttering and freezing.

I'm beyond ticked off right now, and if I didn't hate Comcast even worse and had another option, I'd drop AT&T immediately. The truth is, though, until this stuttering started I loved U-Verse aside from the button lag.

Any suggestions from techs or someone who has been through this? Is there a direct phone number to speak with a human being? Can a local AT&T store set up a tech home visit for me? I want this fixed yesterday, and the last thing I want to do after a long day at work is spend hours on the phone doing the same idiotic troubleshooting algorithm for the third time.

Mentor

• 

78 Messages

13 years ago

Okay, I'm at my wit's end. I have set up an appointment for Comcast installation this Friday. Here's a little update since my last post:

1) They replaced the DVR. (problem persisted)

2) An in-home tech came out, confirmed errors on the line and said there was too much noise, but thought it was outside our unit, so rescheduled for line maintenance.

3) Line maintenance came out, said there was nothing wrong, and left. (problem persisted)

4) Line maintenance came out again, tinkered with something, said it should be okay now. (problem persisted)

5) I talk to Tier 2 support, they make me reboot the stupid box and do disaster recovery AGAIN (as if that's magically going to fix the problem at this point).

6) Another in-house tech is scheduled to come out tomorrow.

If AT&T can fix this before Friday, I will cancel the Comcast installation, otherwise, as much as I hate Comcast, I'm switching back. We can't watch a show without skipping every 15-30 seconds.

By the way, the in-home tech who came said there are no "bridge taps" on the line as someone suggested here (according to his little diagnostic website on his iPad).

Here are updated screenshots from UV Realtime. Please, what should I tell the tech support person to get this fixed?? I hate Comcast and really don't want to switch...

Stats.pngErrorTable.pngBitloading.pngCoaxHPNA.png

4 Attachments

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

13 years ago

Contact David who is an AT&T employee in Tier 2 Technical Support.  He and his team have been successful with resolving customer issues that remain unresolved after contacting Technical Support.

Mentor

• 

78 Messages

13 years ago

I followed the instructions in his profile and sent an e-mail.

It sure would be nice to interact with a tech support rep who can do more than quote procedure from manual!

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

13 years ago

Good luck!  Let us know how things turn out.

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

13 years ago

Good deal!  

So you have the new DVR with the 500 GB hard drive!  Where are you located?

Mentor

• 

78 Messages

13 years ago

Yes I do!! 🙂

And I'm located in Knoxville, TN... The support guy said he just got a bunch of them in today. 

He said he thought that most likely, replacing just the router with the new one would've alleviated the problem, but I'm not going to turn down a larger HDD. 😄

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

13 years ago

Good deal. Thanks for the info.

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

13 years ago

Notice that the new DVR does HPNA 3.1 when connected to the 3801. (224 Mbps / 256 Mbps connection).

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

13 years ago

@SomeJoe7777 wrote:
Notice that the new DVR does HPNA 3.1 when connected to the 3801. (224 Mbps / 256 Mbps connection).

What is the benefit of HPNA 3.1 over what the current DVR's use?

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

13 years ago

3.1 supports faster data transfer rates over coax and can supposedly work with less stringent installation standards (i.e. not as temperamental with connectors, wall plates, etc.).
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.