cmsorenson's profile
Employee

Employee

• 

18 Messages

Sunday, February 7th, 2016 10:34 PM

DVR died & technical support not available?

My DVR is partially dead as the set top boxes report it's not present. It's been rebooted twice. I used the self help on the TV although it didn't have an error message that matched. I tried calling 888 222 2020 but can't find any way to get technical support. Isn't tv technical support available 24/7? If so how do you get to it? Also the self help said I'd be charged $99 for a technician visit. That doesn't seem right if the DVR failed. Please confirm I should not have to pay when a piece of equipment fails?
*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

8 years ago

@cmsorenson - Don't give up on the DVR yet. It may just be the boxes are not in synch with each other - Whole house reboot -

Pull power on DVR, RG & STBs

Restore RG - wait for all green

Restore DVR wait for viewing

Restore others.

Employee

• 

18 Messages

8 years ago

I have a microcell as well (ducky coverage in my house) - what order does that get rebooted?

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

8 years ago

Since it is not a TV device it should not matter.

Employee

• 

18 Messages

8 years ago

I tried this and the DVR still isn't working. Also the "power" button doesn't seem to work on the DVR. It's always lit so I had to literally pull the power cord. When plugged in again, it makes an awful grinding noise for awhile and then finally gets quiet.

Nice try but I believe my DVR is dead AGAIN. This is the second time since I've had the service. There is no recovering from it.

I did not see anyone answer my question about why I can't call and get technical support 24/7. Maybe no one at AT&T is working today.

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

8 years ago

@cmsorenson  You goofed up the #, 1-800-288-2020.

If the DVR functions are still not working properly, try a Non-Destructive Disaster Recovery.

Unplug the power cord of the DVR from the wall or from the back of the box and wait ten seconds. Plug the DVR back in.

When three white dots appear on the screen, unplug the DVR again. Repeat this process two more times.

Plug the DVR back in on the third time and leave in. Three white dots appear followed by a gear with a status bar at the bottom of the screen.

If the Disaster Recovery screen does not appear, repeat the steps above. If the Disaster Recovery screen appears, wait until completion.

If the Non-Destructive Disaster Recovery does not work, follow the steps for a Force Disaster Recovery

Re-downloads all the software. Will not erase recordings, takes a bit of time or so. I do one every few months to get rid of any bugs in the software. Good luck 😉

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(billing and all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Employee

• 

18 Messages

8 years ago

I do not have a working TV attached to the DVR so I can certainly try the steps below but will know nothing about white dots, etc. 

The TV used to work with Uverse but since the DVD player died and was removed, it no longer does. I don't know how to figure out the cabling and what the problem is.

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

8 years ago

@cmsorenson   Have to have a TV to see the white dots that come on a few seconds after plugging it in. Smiley Frustrated

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(billing and all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

ACE - Professor

• 

5.8K Messages

8 years ago

How do you know the DVR doesn't work if it is not connected to a tv? Connect the DVR to the tv using an HDMI cable, component cables or composite cables. What connections does your tv have on it?

Employee

• 

18 Messages

8 years ago

To close out this topic. The AT&T technician came out on 2/9 and got TV working on the television that's located by the DVR. The DVR was working at that time. It has failed now. Because his work came with a 30 day guarantee (it was 20 days ago he was here), I called him and he walked me through trouble-shooting. My DVR has indeed died. This is the second DVR death since I've had the service (I've had the service since 2009). It would be really nice if people's recordings could be backed up in the cloud. From my perspective, you can never recover from a DVR failure. I have months and months of interesting PBS specials recorded, for example, that I like to browse through to watch. It's a royal pain to have to watch stuff online that should be on my DVR.  AT&T will never get a good NPS score from me as long as DVRs fail. What's the point of paying for fancy TV if the DVR doesn't work? I see why people cut the cord.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.