Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Feb 5, 2014
7:26:43 AM
Cannot play previously recorded programs from DVR while "Television signal lost"

We recently had intermittent "Television signal lost" errors, which a technician corrected by replacing the Gateway.  While it was down, we thought it was a good chance to play some prerecorded programs.  However, they would not play.  Why would "Television signal lost" prevent us from accessing programs that we previously recorded?  Aren't they stored on the local DVR box?

We recently had intermittent "Television signal lost" errors, which a technician corrected by replacing the Gateway.  While it was down, we thought it was a good chance to play some prerecorded programs.  However, they would not play.  Why would "Television signal lost" prevent us from accessing programs that we previously recorded?  Aren't they stored on the local DVR box?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Feb 5, 2014 8:12:35 AM
(0)
Expert
Yes, the programs are stored on the local DVR box, but the box must be able to reach the authentication servers at AT&T to authorize the playback. While the gateway was being replaced, the DVR was unable to reach those servers.

Accepted Solution

Cannot play previously recorded programs from DVR while "Television signal lost"

7 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(7)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Feb 5, 2014 8:12:35 AM
(0)
Expert
Yes, the programs are stored on the local DVR box, but the box must be able to reach the authentication servers at AT&T to authorize the playback. While the gateway was being replaced, the DVR was unable to reach those servers.

Re: Cannot play previously recorded programs from DVR while "Television signal lost"

2 of 8 (1,952 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 5, 2014 8:15:03 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
inprosys - Yes, the recordings are on the DVR box, but they are locked to prevent unauthorized access. The key to the lock is back at att. The DVR must communicate with att & verify your account can play the recordings.

It must make sense to att, but to the customer it appears to be overkill, blocking them from relief in a difficult situation. Hard to believe unauthorized viewing could occur with any frequency, but DVR watching as a last resort does.
inprosys - Yes, the recordings are on the DVR box, but they are locked to prevent unauthorized access. The key to the lock is back at att. The DVR must communicate with att & verify your account can play the recordings.

It must make sense to att, but to the customer it appears to be overkill, blocking them from relief in a difficult situation. Hard to believe unauthorized viewing could occur with any frequency, but DVR watching as a last resort does.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Cannot play previously recorded programs from DVR while "Television signal lost"

3 of 8 (1,952 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 5, 2014 10:20:18 AM
(0)
Employee
Another way to view this, if account is suspended or cancelled, the DVR belongs to AT&T, and access is denied to their property till verification that the account is in good standing and the equipment is associated with the account.

Meaning you cannot take the dvr over to another Uverse account and expect any functions to work even if plugged into someones else RG or as a stand alone device without RG connection.

When account is closed, all leased equipment is to be returned including DVR with its recordings.

Buying used receivers on ebay, garage sale, gifted or stolen will not work on your account, as not assigned (paying monthly fee) for that equipment.
Another way to view this, if account is suspended or cancelled, the DVR belongs to AT&T, and access is denied to their property till verification that the account is in good standing and the equipment is associated with the account.

Meaning you cannot take the dvr over to another Uverse account and expect any functions to work even if plugged into someones else RG or as a stand alone device without RG connection.

When account is closed, all leased equipment is to be returned including DVR with its recordings.

Buying used receivers on ebay, garage sale, gifted or stolen will not work on your account, as not assigned (paying monthly fee) for that equipment.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

4 of 8 (1,931 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 6, 2014 6:52:48 AM
(0)
Tutor

SomeJoe7777 and aviewer - Thank you for the informative explanations.

mythoughts - Instead of assuming the customer has bad intentions, how about passing some suggestions on to AT&T?

1) On the "Television signal lost" error screen, option #5 - 'go to the att.com/ufix website' is not very helpful.  If you get this error, your Internet is DOWN.  The phone does still work, so provide the ATT service number instead.  (If it's a bad RG/Gateway, they'll have to place a service call anyway.)

2) Could ATT give the customer some type of work-around for "last resort" DVR watching?  At the time the service call is placed, the support person could give the customer a temporary by-pass code that they could enter on a DVR menu to initiate play-back.  It could be valid for only a certain number of hours at a time.

3) Thinking outside the box:  If the television signal is lost, and the customer is trying to watch a program on the DVR, is there a way that the DVR could use the phone to call in for the authorization code?

As you're much more familiar with the U-verse system and equipment, mythoughts, you could probably come up with all sorts of ways of helping out a legitimate customer instead of being paranoid.

SomeJoe7777 and aviewer - Thank you for the informative explanations.

mythoughts - Instead of assuming the customer has bad intentions, how about passing some suggestions on to AT&T?

1) On the "Television signal lost" error screen, option #5 - 'go to the att.com/ufix website' is not very helpful.  If you get this error, your Internet is DOWN.  The phone does still work, so provide the ATT service number instead.  (If it's a bad RG/Gateway, they'll have to place a service call anyway.)

2) Could ATT give the customer some type of work-around for "last resort" DVR watching?  At the time the service call is placed, the support person could give the customer a temporary by-pass code that they could enter on a DVR menu to initiate play-back.  It could be valid for only a certain number of hours at a time.

3) Thinking outside the box:  If the television signal is lost, and the customer is trying to watch a program on the DVR, is there a way that the DVR could use the phone to call in for the authorization code?

As you're much more familiar with the U-verse system and equipment, mythoughts, you could probably come up with all sorts of ways of helping out a legitimate customer instead of being paranoid.

5 of 8 (1,889 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 6, 2014 7:18:58 AM
(0)
Employee
I do apologize if you thought I was being paranoid or unhelpful, both Somejoe7777 and aviewer mention references to authentication and authorized access, why did AT&T require this?

My thoughts was to offer a possible explanation as to the why the requirements, instead of just saying NO it does not work that way.

1) If the customer has a smart phone, troubleshoot and resolve tool is a downloadable app, plus customer would have access to option #5
2) a good idea, however service would need to be working in order for CSR to download a code to DVR to bypass authentication
3) self diagnosis and self request is also a good idea, but again need both DVR, and RG to be in sync and working to activate request.

But again, i do apologize if I came across as being anything other than trying to help.
I do apologize if you thought I was being paranoid or unhelpful, both Somejoe7777 and aviewer mention references to authentication and authorized access, why did AT&T require this?

My thoughts was to offer a possible explanation as to the why the requirements, instead of just saying NO it does not work that way.

1) If the customer has a smart phone, troubleshoot and resolve tool is a downloadable app, plus customer would have access to option #5
2) a good idea, however service would need to be working in order for CSR to download a code to DVR to bypass authentication
3) self diagnosis and self request is also a good idea, but again need both DVR, and RG to be in sync and working to activate request.

But again, i do apologize if I came across as being anything other than trying to help.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

6 of 8 (1,886 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 6, 2014 7:46:27 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

I'd also like to point out that "signal lost" can also occur to just one STB when others are working.   So, in addition to using TS&R on a Smartphone using the downloaded application, you could potentially use it on a connected PC to resolve "signal lost,' though you are correct that some potential causes of the message would prevent going to the website and using TS&R.

Though being told to go to the TS&R tool may lead some people to find out that their Internet connection is down when they didn't already know that, which is a useful troubleshooting step in and of itself. Smiley Wink

I'd also like to point out that "signal lost" can also occur to just one STB when others are working.   So, in addition to using TS&R on a Smartphone using the downloaded application, you could potentially use it on a connected PC to resolve "signal lost,' though you are correct that some potential causes of the message would prevent going to the website and using TS&R.

Though being told to go to the TS&R tool may lead some people to find out that their Internet connection is down when they didn't already know that, which is a useful troubleshooting step in and of itself. Smiley Wink

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

7 of 8 (1,879 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 6, 2014 7:47:23 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Sometimes the answer is just "No, it can't be done". 

It might not be the answer one is looking for but it is what it is....at least for now.

Sometimes the answer is just "No, it can't be done". 

It might not be the answer one is looking for but it is what it is....at least for now.

8 of 8 (1,877 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments