For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
gilbert10021's profile

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

Tuesday, June 3rd, 2014 8:31 PM

loud pop from uverse

att just changed me over to uverse and scared me to death. i just turned my computer on for the first time since att hooked me up a week later and i heard a loud pop from somewhere behind my desk where all the wires are. didn't see no fire or smoke, and didn't smell nothing burning and everything stayed working. i want to know why i heard a loud pop that i never heard before. it would have to be the new modem they installed or the new phone jack into the wall. he plugged the modem into one of my surge protector outlets i have never used. i unplugged the old modem before this ever happened. and an att representative i have as a witness in my house when it happened. he even said what was that noise. has att hooked my uverse up wrong and could start a fire in my house or is it something else? i am too scared to turn on my computer now so i am at the library. this modem plugin is bigger than the old modem. is this modem too powerful for a surge protector and caused the protector to pop even though everything that is plugged into it would still come on if i turn it on. if my house catches on fire, att will be responsible for damages.

Community Support

• 

6.7K Messages

10 years ago

Hi @gilbert10021,

I am so sorry about the issues you have encountered after getting the U-verse service. I am not too sure what that pop was either, but I am glad there was no apparent damage. We will send you a private message to work with you further on this issue.

-David T

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

10 years ago

if a capacitor does explode on any device, will the device stay on and working? because everything stayed working after the pop. the only thing that i have not tried since this pop is the dell subwoofer with my speakers even though this subwoofer has been plugged in since the day i got it and i don't see an on/off switch to turn it off when i am not using it. i did though hear the windows xp opening music play when i turned on my computer. is there a capacitor in a monitor? thanks

Professor

• 

1.3K Messages

10 years ago

@my thoughts wrote:
It has been my experience as an electronic tech for over 20 years that a loud pop without smell is generally a capacitor that has exploded, that could be any device uverse... pc... etc.

Common issues are excessive voltage such as when turning on circuits that have been off or aged components past their live span. Common on older computers and related devices.

Really? Becasue whenver I have popped a capacitor, it smells.

Personally my guess is that it may have been your speakers. Whenever I power down my computer and speakers then power them back on they make a popping noise. Try lowering the volume on the speakers (not through the PC) and turn off and on the computer and see if it does it again, but softer.

Make sure to completely power down the computer and not do a restart since that won't make the computer lose power.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.