hudsonville's profile

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

Monday, August 8th, 2016 6:18 AM

caller id displays no data just "incoming call"

I have uverse internet but a landline telephone, my account features say that I should have caller id service but no data displays on any of my caller id equipment.  I have a hardwired AT&T telephone and a cordless phone and a stand alone caller ID unit and none of them display any data, just "incoming call".  I had caller id service many years ago and it worked then so the wiring should not be an issue.  I tried plugging my phone into the phone jack on the uverse router/modem but that does not work at all, I get a dial tone but the phone does not ring  when a call is being received.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

8 years ago

@hudsonville - You say you have "regular" landline(AKA POTS). This means the tel jack on the modem is NOT your dial tone source. It is not normally connected??

For POTS, the dial tone source is the jack in the NID on the side of the house. Remove the little jumper in the jack & plug in the phone. If it does not work there, call your local tel service number..

Problem could be a bad filter in the NID, your house wiring( new fault or improper u-verse wiring.

Perhaps they switched you to u-verse voice, without you knowing.

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

8 years ago

"Perhaps they switched you to u-verse voice, without you knowing."

Yes, they did.  My old landline phone number never got ported over to the u-verse voice service, the u-verse voice service was still assigned a telephone number that I did not even know existed.  Once my number was ported and I connected my phone to the u-verse modem it worked correctly.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.