U-verse Forums

Posted Jun 12, 2013
12:26:38 PM
View profile
XBox One

So after Microsoft's initial XBox One console reveal and E3 I have some quesitons are am seeing if any of you guys found the answers that I didn't.  TV was a big part of the XBox One reveal but word got out that you will still have to have a cable box to plug into the HDMI In on the back of the system and HDMI Out to the TV.  Now I guess this is good as it cuts down on the number of inputs you have to use but have they said anything specific for UVerse and XBox One like they did for the XBox 360 where you didn't even need the cable box anymore?  It seems like UVerse was the only cable company to offer an entier app that provided the full cable box functionality and channel selection and I was wondering if something like that is coming to the XBox One.  Anyone know?

So after Microsoft's initial XBox One console reveal and E3 I have some quesitons are am seeing if any of you guys found the answers that I didn't.  TV was a big part of the XBox One reveal but word got out that you will still have to have a cable box to plug into the HDMI In on the back of the system and HDMI Out to the TV.  Now I guess this is good as it cuts down on the number of inputs you have to use but have they said anything specific for UVerse and XBox One like they did for the XBox 360 where you didn't even need the cable box anymore?  It seems like UVerse was the only cable company to offer an entier app that provided the full cable box functionality and channel selection and I was wondering if something like that is coming to the XBox One.  Anyone know?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Nov 25, 2013 12:37:41 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
benperrysj - So, in addition to viewing the output of the DVR you are controlling the DVR with an IR blaster. I believe the IR blaster is overloading the sensor on the DVR. There are three things you can do -

1) Cover the front of the DVR with a towel to block any ambient light.
2) Cover the IR sensor on the DVR with the tape recommended below. (This will work).
3) Swap the DVR with another STB.

More -

IR Issues

Going back 5-6 years there are many posts about IR interference. Remedies included taping over the IR sensor, hiding the STB, turning off auto brightness on the TV.

A common fault was the info button press corrupting to an STB mute action. The number of reports of this have totally fallen away. My personal initial primary problem was getting the zero to register. But, one day long ago that just went away.

Niles Audio Corp. makes IR repeaters & has a video on their web site showing the fragility of the IR coding that is used for U-verse & other boxes. They said their new line of repeaters could handle it. Oddly, a U-verse customer posted in this community that they had a NIles install that was not working & after they contacted Niles they did not get any satisfactory resolution.

I came to believe that the IR sensor is too sensitive, That the DVR is worse than other STBs. That command type buttons are worse than the number buttons. That, somehow software updates can make it better or worse, So, it is a moving target. Hard to pin down.

I noticed that the U-verse remote does work better than my Logitech Harmony model 700. I looked at the IR signal through a digital camera. It appeared to me that the Harmony IR signal is stronger than the U-verse remote. This reinforces my theory that the IR sensor is too sensitive.

Recently, my most common problem was FF and Play Buttons often corrupted to chan up and chan down more than six times a night while watching recorded shows, exclusively.

I happened to notice that I had a specific kind of "duct tape" covering the blue light on the STB. Actually, it just looks like duct tape, but is electrical tape available at the Home Depot in the electrical dept. - http://www.homedepot.com/p/Commercial-Electric-2-in-x-150-ft-Vinyl-Electrical-Bundling-Tape-Silver-30002664/202741845#specifications

This tape has a degree of transparency. I thought I would use it to cover the IR sensor. The remote has never worked better. In over 100 evenings since I applied the tape - watching recordings while FF through the ads - I have not had one chan up - chan down corruption . Previously, there would have been at least 6x100=600 occurrences.

Almost all button presses are accepted & none are changed to a different action.

RF Issues

It should not be a surprise, but it is, that half the problems with the RF remote are IR. I run an STB well hidden for a second TV. I had the IR sensor covered with black tape. I replaced the black tape with the "duct tape" & saw an immediate improvement in response to menu buttons. The number buttons were already good - see below for that solution.

The STB using RF must be hidden due to the dongle conversion of RF to IR. If it is not hidden it is subject to the following problems:

IR corruption - Ironically, the RF remote was often offered as a resolution for IR problems. But, if the STB is not hidden nothing has changed to eliminate theI IR corruption problem. If the corrupting light can be seen by the STB IR sensor it will continue to corrupt the IR signal.

If the STB IR sensor can see IR from another remote, it will respond to it.

If another STB can see the IR generated by the dongle, it will respond to it.

Note that hidden means the IR does not see outside light - If you have an optical repeater(like the Niles mentioned above) it is IR subject to corruption. If you have an IR receiver that produces RF to go through a wall, it is still IR subject to corruption. Any optical link open to the room is still open to IR corruption.

Only if the remote is RF (like the point anywhere remote) transmitted to a well hidden device will it ward off IR corruption. The ultimate solution is a wireless remote app. These are available, but incomplete & other devices do not yet support wireless remote. But, the Buddy TV remote can be used for a u-verse STB.

Previously, I found the RF remote lacking in RF power - in the same room, twelve feet away, hidden only by a thin sheet of cardboard. One method to increase RF power is to hold the remote under your chin while pressing a button - using your head as an antenna.

A better way is this antenna placed in the battery compartment - http://www.amazon.com/Cellular-Innovations-A-BOOSTER-Universal-Antenna/dp/B00009WCAP/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1366128630&sr=8-8&keywords=cell+phone+booster

With this antenna, the channel numbers are almost always accepted. With the "duct tape" in place, the other buttons work almost every time. The remote now works better than ever.

But, recently, I discovered that weakened batteries triggers poor results due to low power. If the remote starts acting up go for fresh batteries. Before I realized the batteries were low I was getting better RF by holding it against a metal arm of a reading light.

STB Issues

Once IR and RF issues are resolved, there are timing issues with the STB to contend with. Numbers process fast and Menu items process slow. You need quick, light touch on some numbers to avoid duplicates and a slow, strong press on menu activities. Effort is required to suppress the urge to press again while waiting for a response. It takes concentration to get effective results. Frequently a second press immediately cancels a slow responding first press. Current IR and RF issues amplify the effect of the timing issue.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Accepted Solution

XBox One

29 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(29)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 12, 2013 1:27:15 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

pacman_85 wrote:

So after Microsoft's initial XBox One console reveal and E3 I have some quesitons are am seeing if any of you guys found the answers that I didn't.  TV was a big part of the XBox One reveal but word got out that you will still have to have a cable box to plug into the HDMI In on the back of the system and HDMI Out to the TV.  Now I guess this is good as it cuts down on the number of inputs you have to use but have they said anything specific for UVerse and XBox One like they did for the XBox 360 where you didn't even need the cable box anymore? 

It seems like UVerse was the only cable company to offer an entier app that provided the full cable box functionality and channel selection and I was wondering if something like that is coming to the XBox One.  Anyone know?

There have been no answers from Microsoft on how TV will be integrated other than via HDMI passthrough. No other cable company has been mentioned as supporting the Xbox One as a cable box.

Since there isn't a CableCard slot on the back of the X1 it most likely will require pass through on every service provider's boxes.

My personal hope is that CEC is enabled on the X1 (and on U-Verse's STBs) to allow for direct tv control without having to use an IR blaster.

-------

Resident Xbox ACE. Ask me almost anything about Xbox on U-Verse.

Xbox Gamertag: americangame
PSN: americangame
Steam:americangame
When friending me mention that you found me on the AT&T forums.

pacman_85 wrote:

So after Microsoft's initial XBox One console reveal and E3 I have some quesitons are am seeing if any of you guys found the answers that I didn't.  TV was a big part of the XBox One reveal but word got out that you will still have to have a cable box to plug into the HDMI In on the back of the system and HDMI Out to the TV.  Now I guess this is good as it cuts down on the number of inputs you have to use but have they said anything specific for UVerse and XBox One like they did for the XBox 360 where you didn't even need the cable box anymore? 

It seems like UVerse was the only cable company to offer an entier app that provided the full cable box functionality and channel selection and I was wondering if something like that is coming to the XBox One.  Anyone know?

There have been no answers from Microsoft on how TV will be integrated other than via HDMI passthrough. No other cable company has been mentioned as supporting the Xbox One as a cable box.

Since there isn't a CableCard slot on the back of the X1 it most likely will require pass through on every service provider's boxes.

My personal hope is that CEC is enabled on the X1 (and on U-Verse's STBs) to allow for direct tv control without having to use an IR blaster.

-------

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: XBox One

2 of 30 (10,657 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 20, 2013 3:06:58 PM
(0)
Explorer

Excuse my ignorance but what do you mean in the part of your post below?  Thanks

Excuse my ignorance but what do you mean in the part of your post below?  Thanks

3 of 30 (10,536 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 20, 2013 3:14:08 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
pacman_85 - CEC is consumer electronics control to send commands back upstream on the HDMI interface to replace the IR control of the STB.

Even better would be if the x-box could replace the STB to decode the stream directly.
pacman_85 - CEC is consumer electronics control to send commands back upstream on the HDMI interface to replace the IR control of the STB.

Even better would be if the x-box could replace the STB to decode the stream directly.

4 of 30 (10,532 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 20, 2013 4:49:43 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

aviewer wrote:

Agreed.

Apparently the X1 does have CEC built in to it so when you say "Xbox on" it will turn on the TV (and HDMI Sound system if you have one) so that's a plus.

If the X1 can't (or won't because AT&T/Comcast/ Dish/DTV/etc) allow for direct encoding of the stream and act as a complete replacement of the cable box, I would ask for CEC to be enabled so I don't have to run a IR blaster from the back of the Xbox to the front of the STB.

-------

aviewer wrote:

Agreed.

Apparently the X1 does have CEC built in to it so when you say "Xbox on" it will turn on the TV (and HDMI Sound system if you have one) so that's a plus.

If the X1 can't (or won't because AT&T/Comcast/ Dish/DTV/etc) allow for direct encoding of the stream and act as a complete replacement of the cable box, I would ask for CEC to be enabled so I don't have to run a IR blaster from the back of the Xbox to the front of the STB.

-------

5 of 30 (10,523 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 20, 2013 5:03:08 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Re: I would ask for CEC to be enabled so I don't have to run a IR blaster from the back of the Xbox to the front of the STB.

Not even mentioning the missing or incorrect actions because IR is not 100% reliable.

Seems like the wi-fi control interface would now be another option.
Re: I would ask for CEC to be enabled so I don't have to run a IR blaster from the back of the Xbox to the front of the STB.

Not even mentioning the missing or incorrect actions because IR is not 100% reliable.

Seems like the wi-fi control interface would now be another option.

6 of 30 (10,518 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 24, 2013 11:35:23 PM
(0)
Contributor

Well, now it's out and Uverse does NOT work on the Xbox ONE without a seperate stb.  That's a total step backwards.  I'm frustrated and ticked off.  I will likely move my 360 to the tv I was going to use for the ONE.

We need an app (NOW!) for Uverse.  With Uverse being capable of running apps for Hulu plus and Netflix, don't even post gibberish about it not being possible.

Well, now it's out and Uverse does NOT work on the Xbox ONE without a seperate stb.  That's a total step backwards.  I'm frustrated and ticked off.  I will likely move my 360 to the tv I was going to use for the ONE.

We need an app (NOW!) for Uverse.  With Uverse being capable of running apps for Hulu plus and Netflix, don't even post gibberish about it not being possible.

7 of 30 (7,427 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 25, 2013 5:43:53 AM
(0)
Employee
The Xbox 360 will not be supported after Dec 30....for those that bought the conversion will receive a $99 credit and need to order a receiver (set top box) $7 per month if desired to continue have uverse on that TV.
The Xbox 360 will not be supported after Dec 30....for those that bought the conversion will receive a $99 credit and need to order a receiver (set top box) $7 per month if desired to continue have uverse on that TV.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

8 of 30 (7,415 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 25, 2013 7:09:43 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

my thoughts wrote:

Seriously? I haven't gotten a notice about this.

-------

my thoughts wrote:

Seriously? I haven't gotten a notice about this.

-------

9 of 30 (7,401 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 25, 2013 12:24:54 PM
(0)
Contributor

I have Uverse running from my motorola dvr to my xbox one, but it is not working very well.  The xbox begins to try to change the channel, but it misses a number or sometimes just stops.  It very rarely gets me to the correct channel.  Also the functionality of the remote is somehow affected by being plugged into the xbox.  I often have to press a button 2-3 times in order for the box to receive it.  Help!

I have Uverse running from my motorola dvr to my xbox one, but it is not working very well.  The xbox begins to try to change the channel, but it misses a number or sometimes just stops.  It very rarely gets me to the correct channel.  Also the functionality of the remote is somehow affected by being plugged into the xbox.  I often have to press a button 2-3 times in order for the box to receive it.  Help!

10 of 30 (7,348 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Nov 25, 2013 12:37:41 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
benperrysj - So, in addition to viewing the output of the DVR you are controlling the DVR with an IR blaster. I believe the IR blaster is overloading the sensor on the DVR. There are three things you can do -

2) Cover the IR sensor on the DVR with the tape recommended below. (This will work).

More -

IR Issues

Going back 5-6 years there are many posts about IR interference. Remedies included taping over the IR sensor, hiding the STB, turning off auto brightness on the TV.

A common fault was the info button press corrupting to an STB mute action. The number of reports of this have totally fallen away. My personal initial primary problem was getting the zero to register. But, one day long ago that just went away.

Niles Audio Corp. makes IR repeaters & has a video on their web site showing the fragility of the IR coding that is used for U-verse & other boxes. They said their new line of repeaters could handle it. Oddly, a U-verse customer posted in this community that they had a NIles install that was not working & after they contacted Niles they did not get any satisfactory resolution.

I came to believe that the IR sensor is too sensitive, That the DVR is worse than other STBs. That command type buttons are worse than the number buttons. That, somehow software updates can make it better or worse, So, it is a moving target. Hard to pin down.

I noticed that the U-verse remote does work better than my Logitech Harmony model 700. I looked at the IR signal through a digital camera. It appeared to me that the Harmony IR signal is stronger than the U-verse remote. This reinforces my theory that the IR sensor is too sensitive.

Recently, my most common problem was FF and Play Buttons often corrupted to chan up and chan down more than six times a night while watching recorded shows, exclusively.

I happened to notice that I had a specific kind of "duct tape" covering the blue light on the STB. Actually, it just looks like duct tape, but is electrical tape available at the Home Depot in the electrical dept. - http://www.homedepot.com/p/Commercial-Electric-2-in-x-150-ft-Vinyl-Electrical-Bundling-Tape-Silver-3...

This tape has a degree of transparency. I thought I would use it to cover the IR sensor. The remote has never worked better. In over 100 evenings since I applied the tape - watching recordings while FF through the ads - I have not had one chan up - chan down corruption . Previously, there would have been at least 6x100=600 occurrences.

Almost all button presses are accepted & none are changed to a different action.

RF Issues

It should not be a surprise, but it is, that half the problems with the RF remote are IR. I run an STB well hidden for a second TV. I had the IR sensor covered with black tape. I replaced the black tape with the "duct tape" & saw an immediate improvement in response to menu buttons. The number buttons were already good - see below for that solution.

The STB using RF must be hidden due to the dongle conversion of RF to IR. If it is not hidden it is subject to the following problems:

IR corruption - Ironically, the RF remote was often offered as a resolution for IR problems. But, if the STB is not hidden nothing has changed to eliminate theI IR corruption problem. If the corrupting light can be seen by the STB IR sensor it will continue to corrupt the IR signal.

Note that hidden means the IR does not see outside light - If you have an optical repeater(like the Niles mentioned above) it is IR subject to corruption. If you have an IR receiver that produces RF to go through a wall, it is still IR subject to corruption. Any optical link open to the room is still open to IR corruption.

Only if the remote is RF (like the point anywhere remote) transmitted to a well hidden device will it ward off IR corruption. The ultimate solution is a wireless remote app. These are available, but incomplete & other devices do not yet support wireless remote. But, the Buddy TV remote can be used for a u-verse STB.

Previously, I found the RF remote lacking in RF power - in the same room, twelve feet away, hidden only by a thin sheet of cardboard. One method to increase RF power is to hold the remote under your chin while pressing a button - using your head as an antenna.

A better way is this antenna placed in the battery compartment - http://www.amazon.com/Cellular-Innovations-A-BOOSTER-Universal-Antenna/dp/B00009WCAP/ref=sr_1_8?ie=U...

With this antenna, the channel numbers are almost always accepted. With the "duct tape" in place, the other buttons work almost every time. The remote now works better than ever.

But, recently, I discovered that weakened batteries triggers poor results due to low power. If the remote starts acting up go for fresh batteries. Before I realized the batteries were low I was getting better RF by holding it against a metal arm of a reading light.

STB Issues

Once IR and RF issues are resolved, there are timing issues with the STB to contend with. Numbers process fast and Menu items process slow. You need quick, light touch on some numbers to avoid duplicates and a slow, strong press on menu activities. Effort is required to suppress the urge to press again while waiting for a response. It takes concentration to get effective results. Frequently a second press immediately cancels a slow responding first press. Current IR and RF issues amplify the effect of the timing issue.

More -

IR Issues

I happened to notice that I had a specific kind of "duct tape" covering the blue light on the STB. Actually, it just looks like duct tape, but is electrical tape available at the Home Depot in the electrical dept. - http://www.homedepot.com/p/Commercial-Electric-2-in-x-150-ft-Vinyl-Electrical-Bundling-Tape-Silver-30002664/202741845#specifications

RF Issues

A better way is this antenna placed in the battery compartment - http://www.amazon.com/Cellular-Innovations-A-BOOSTER-Universal-Antenna/dp/B00009WCAP/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1366128630&sr=8-8&keywords=cell+phone+booster

STB Issues

11 of 30 (7,342 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 25, 2013 12:52:27 PM
(0)
Contributor

Wow, thanks so much for this post.  I put a towel over the DVR and it works!!

Wow, thanks so much for this post.  I put a towel over the DVR and it works!!

12 of 30 (7,335 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 25, 2013 1:15:26 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
benperrysj - Thanks for letting me know. That means the ambient light was corrupting the IR. Be sure the towel does nor cover the slots that cool the innards. Notice I said to only cover the front. Don't want to trade one problem for another.
benperrysj - Thanks for letting me know. That means the ambient light was corrupting the IR. Be sure the towel does nor cover the slots that cool the innards. Notice I said to only cover the front. Don't want to trade one problem for another.

13 of 30 (7,327 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 26, 2013 8:33:52 AM
(0)
Explorer

So since I started this thread I figured I would post about the issue I am having here and hope someone can help me out.  I got the XBox One yesterday.  I hooked it up, it detected and can control my VIZIO tv just fine.  Moving on to the cable TV portion, I said I have U-Verse, gave it my zip, then said the Motorola VIP1200 box and it tried to send a power command to the box but failed.  Tried again, no luck.  It just kept repeatedly trying to do the power command so for grins I said yes it worked (instead of saying no on that screen) and then it tried to send the info/display command to it.  Same issue, didn't work.  So basically there is a signal coming from the U-Verse box and I can watch TV through my XBox One but I can't do anything else like change channels, etc.  Anyone know why?  I see some posts about IR signals and what not so, for reference, the Kinect is on the top shelf of my entertainment center right in front of my tv.  I have 2 shelves below that.  My U-Verse Motorola box is on the shelf directly below the top shelf where the tv and Kinect are.  The XBox One is right next to my U-Verse box.  My Pioneer audio receiver is below these on the bottom shelf.  I don't have U-Verse Internet which I don't think is an issue but figured I would mention that just in case.  Is this a case where the model of U-Verse box I have is incompatible or just an issue with the IR blaster in Kinect not being able to send signals to the U-Verse box?  Any help is appreciated!

So since I started this thread I figured I would post about the issue I am having here and hope someone can help me out.  I got the XBox One yesterday.  I hooked it up, it detected and can control my VIZIO tv just fine.  Moving on to the cable TV portion, I said I have U-Verse, gave it my zip, then said the Motorola VIP1200 box and it tried to send a power command to the box but failed.  Tried again, no luck.  It just kept repeatedly trying to do the power command so for grins I said yes it worked (instead of saying no on that screen) and then it tried to send the info/display command to it.  Same issue, didn't work.  So basically there is a signal coming from the U-Verse box and I can watch TV through my XBox One but I can't do anything else like change channels, etc.  Anyone know why?  I see some posts about IR signals and what not so, for reference, the Kinect is on the top shelf of my entertainment center right in front of my tv.  I have 2 shelves below that.  My U-Verse Motorola box is on the shelf directly below the top shelf where the tv and Kinect are.  The XBox One is right next to my U-Verse box.  My Pioneer audio receiver is below these on the bottom shelf.  I don't have U-Verse Internet which I don't think is an issue but figured I would mention that just in case.  Is this a case where the model of U-Verse box I have is incompatible or just an issue with the IR blaster in Kinect not being able to send signals to the U-Verse box?  Any help is appreciated!

14 of 30 (7,173 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 26, 2013 8:58:43 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
pacman_85 - I think you should expect the x-box IR blaster to control the u-verse box. There are a number of opportunities for failure. You may want to use it ongoing to be controlled either by the handheld remote or the IR blaster, but first you have to do some testing only the IR blaster.

Enclose the U-verse box and the output of the IR blaster so that it cannot see anything from outside that enclosure. See if it works. This worked for benperrysj.

If that does not work. Keep the enclosure in place & cover the front of the U-verse box with an opaque material. This is a tape that works. - http://www.homedepot.com/p/Commercial-Electric-2-in-x-150-ft-Vinyl-Electrical-Bundling-Tape-Silver-3...

If that does not work & the box is a DVR swap it with another STB & go through the same steps.

Please let me know how you do.
pacman_85 - I think you should expect the x-box IR blaster to control the u-verse box. There are a number of opportunities for failure. You may want to use it ongoing to be controlled either by the handheld remote or the IR blaster, but first you have to do some testing only the IR blaster.

Enclose the U-verse box and the output of the IR blaster so that it cannot see anything from outside that enclosure. See if it works. This worked for benperrysj.

If that does not work. Keep the enclosure in place & cover the front of the U-verse box with an opaque material. This is a tape that works. - http://www.homedepot.com/p/Commercial-Electric-2-in-x-150-ft-Vinyl-Electrical-Bundling-Tape-Silver-3...

If that does not work & the box is a DVR swap it with another STB & go through the same steps.

Please let me know how you do.

15 of 30 (7,167 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 26, 2013 9:00:45 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

pacman, I would start by making sure there's a clear line of sight between the IR blaster on the Kinnect and the IR window on the front of the U-verse STB and running through the setup test again.  If you can get it to work at all, then work on a more permanent arrangement.

pacman, I would start by making sure there's a clear line of sight between the IR blaster on the Kinnect and the IR window on the front of the U-verse STB and running through the setup test again.  If you can get it to work at all, then work on a more permanent arrangement.

16 of 30 (7,168 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 26, 2013 9:25:08 AM
(0)
Explorer

Thanks for the quick replies.  The Kinect is almost directly above my U-Verse box on the highest shelf/top of my entertainment center so I would say there is no line of sight how it is currently setup.  Any of you guys who have gotten it working, how did you create a line of sight between the two?  I mean putting the Kinect on the same shelf as my U-Verse box and poitning it towards the box would obviously not allow Kinect to see me anymore and I would lose that functionality so I don't know what type of solution I could setup in a typical entertainment center.  What's weird is that it works with my Vizio TV just fine even though it is not pointing at the TV.  It is on the same top shelf of my entertainment center so I guess that is why it is working but Kinect is definitely pointed away from the TV.

Thanks for the quick replies.  The Kinect is almost directly above my U-Verse box on the highest shelf/top of my entertainment center so I would say there is no line of sight how it is currently setup.  Any of you guys who have gotten it working, how did you create a line of sight between the two?  I mean putting the Kinect on the same shelf as my U-Verse box and poitning it towards the box would obviously not allow Kinect to see me anymore and I would lose that functionality so I don't know what type of solution I could setup in a typical entertainment center.  What's weird is that it works with my Vizio TV just fine even though it is not pointing at the TV.  It is on the same top shelf of my entertainment center so I guess that is why it is working but Kinect is definitely pointed away from the TV.

17 of 30 (7,163 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 26, 2013 9:38:37 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
pacman_85 - I can see that trying to operate multiple devices from the same transmitter can be problematic. Especially if you believe it needs a direct path. That is need for some devices.

But I believe, the problem with the U-verse box is it is too sensitive. If you have a glass front cabinet, place the Kinect transmitter in the back on the bottom - away from the U-verse box/ Cover the front of the cabinet with a blanket.
pacman_85 - I can see that trying to operate multiple devices from the same transmitter can be problematic. Especially if you believe it needs a direct path. That is need for some devices.

But I believe, the problem with the U-verse box is it is too sensitive. If you have a glass front cabinet, place the Kinect transmitter in the back on the bottom - away from the U-verse box/ Cover the front of the cabinet with a blanket.

18 of 30 (7,159 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 26, 2013 9:41:46 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

IR signals usually bounce off walls pretty well, but I'm not so sure about the protocol these boxes use as it is very different from normal.

I was suggesting that you start with a clear line of sight to ensure that they were compatible at all, then work out a more permanent arrangement.

IR signals usually bounce off walls pretty well, but I'm not so sure about the protocol these boxes use as it is very different from normal.

I was suggesting that you start with a clear line of sight to ensure that they were compatible at all, then work out a more permanent arrangement.

19 of 30 (7,159 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 26, 2013 10:13:08 AM
(0)
Explorer
Yeah I will definitely do that one I get home from work tonight. I was just curious what others who have an XBox One and a U-verse box had to do to get this working. It is an open entertainment center (no doors or anything) with 3 shelves. I think the shelves are made of granite as it is really heavy. Is there a possibility that this isn't working because of my specific model of U-Verse box (one of the non-DVR Motorola VIP1200's)?
Yeah I will definitely do that one I get home from work tonight. I was just curious what others who have an XBox One and a U-verse box had to do to get this working. It is an open entertainment center (no doors or anything) with 3 shelves. I think the shelves are made of granite as it is really heavy. Is there a possibility that this isn't working because of my specific model of U-Verse box (one of the non-DVR Motorola VIP1200's)?

20 of 30 (7,144 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 26, 2013 10:22:48 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Perhaps someone with an Xbox One will chime in with their experience, I do not have one.

While your individual box may vary in how well it works, all of the AT&T set tops (DVR and non-DVR, Cisco and Motorola) use the same protocol, remotes move between boxes without issue.  The blaster should be the same.

Perhaps someone with an Xbox One will chime in with their experience, I do not have one.

While your individual box may vary in how well it works, all of the AT&T set tops (DVR and non-DVR, Cisco and Motorola) use the same protocol, remotes move between boxes without issue.  The blaster should be the same.

21 of 30 (7,140 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 26, 2013 10:32:23 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
pacman_85 - Anything is possible. We each have to go with the odds based on what we have experienced. I know -

The IR signal can be corrupted by outside light from TVs or bulbs. This must be eliminated by isolating the transmitter, STB and the path between the two from all outside exposure.

The STB can frequently not work because the IR signal is too strong. The tape works like magic for this case.

If you read post 11 above, you will see this sentence - If another STB can see the IR generated by the dongle, it will respond to it. I did not make this up. It was discovered in thread complaining about the RF remote changing the channel on an STB in another room. This shows how sensitive the sensor can be. The IR dongle is in one room & shoots IR down the hall to another room where the signal is strong enough to affect the STB.

I point it out here to say that anything that sensitive has a low threshold on the other end. It will fail sooner due to overload.
pacman_85 - Anything is possible. We each have to go with the odds based on what we have experienced. I know -

The IR signal can be corrupted by outside light from TVs or bulbs. This must be eliminated by isolating the transmitter, STB and the path between the two from all outside exposure.

The STB can frequently not work because the IR signal is too strong. The tape works like magic for this case.

If you read post 11 above, you will see this sentence - If another STB can see the IR generated by the dongle, it will respond to it. I did not make this up. It was discovered in thread complaining about the RF remote changing the channel on an STB in another room. This shows how sensitive the sensor can be. The IR dongle is in one room & shoots IR down the hall to another room where the signal is strong enough to affect the STB.

I point it out here to say that anything that sensitive has a low threshold on the other end. It will fail sooner due to overload.

22 of 30 (7,140 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 26, 2013 1:46:12 PM
(0)
Tutor

pacman, 

I just got my XBox One yesterday, and configured it up with my TVand U-Verse. I had a similar problem when I tried telling it that I had a Motorola box. What resolved it for me was to change the type from Motorola to just AT&T U-Verse. I believe it corrected it back to either ATT or AT&T, I do not remember, and I am not in front of it now.

After I got the TV working, and it proceeded to this step, the default entry was AT&T U-Verse when it asked what my STB was. I figured I would put in the exact model, but that did not work like you indicated. I then thought I would try AT&T U-Verse since that is what it suggested, and that made everything work.

Regards

pacman, 

I just got my XBox One yesterday, and configured it up with my TVand U-Verse. I had a similar problem when I tried telling it that I had a Motorola box. What resolved it for me was to change the type from Motorola to just AT&T U-Verse. I believe it corrected it back to either ATT or AT&T, I do not remember, and I am not in front of it now.

After I got the TV working, and it proceeded to this step, the default entry was AT&T U-Verse when it asked what my STB was. I figured I would put in the exact model, but that did not work like you indicated. I then thought I would try AT&T U-Verse since that is what it suggested, and that made everything work.

Regards

23 of 30 (7,105 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 26, 2013 5:27:04 PM
(0)
Contributor

I got the notice yesterday.  Just 2 days before I was able to plug my Xbox 360 into my Xbox One and use it as a cable box.  It actually turns it on and changes the channels just like a real stb.  Hearing this news just makes me sick.  I now have the ultimate home theater set up.  Too bad that I will only get to enjoy it for a month before it's gone. 

I got the notice yesterday.  Just 2 days before I was able to plug my Xbox 360 into my Xbox One and use it as a cable box.  It actually turns it on and changes the channels just like a real stb.  Hearing this news just makes me sick.  I now have the ultimate home theater set up.  Too bad that I will only get to enjoy it for a month before it's gone. 

24 of 30 (7,057 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 3, 2013 9:07:49 AM
(0)
Teacher

What notice?

What notice?

25 of 30 (6,507 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 3, 2013 9:24:28 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Try Google with this search term:

AT&T U-verse Xbox 360 end

Try Google with this search term:

AT&T U-verse Xbox 360 end

26 of 30 (6,504 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 3, 2013 9:35:46 AM
(0)
Teacher

I just did an online chat with thier support people and they claim they know nothing about it.  They have no information that support will be discontinued.  I'm hoping they had second thoughts.  I have 3 boxes working this way and I don't want to have to deal with putting in those stupid cable boxes.  I've been using it since it came out and never received any direct communication from them stating they plan to kill it. 

I just did an online chat with thier support people and they claim they know nothing about it.  They have no information that support will be discontinued.  I'm hoping they had second thoughts.  I have 3 boxes working this way and I don't want to have to deal with putting in those stupid cable boxes.  I've been using it since it came out and never received any direct communication from them stating they plan to kill it. 

27 of 30 (6,501 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 3, 2013 10:43:46 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

kjdinoc wrote:

Apparently it is not as popular as they had hoped.  They had started a redesign project last fall to fit into the more modern Xbox landscape.  That project has now been cancelled, which led to this announcement.

kjdinoc wrote:

Apparently it is not as popular as they had hoped.  They had started a redesign project last fall to fit into the more modern Xbox landscape.  That project has now been cancelled, which led to this announcement.

28 of 30 (6,488 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 4, 2013 6:00:41 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

kjdinoc wrote:

You should have gotten an email from AT&T regarding this decision. I got one not long after seeing it on the board.

-------

kjdinoc wrote:

You should have gotten an email from AT&T regarding this decision. I got one not long after seeing it on the board.

-------

29 of 30 (6,368 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 4, 2013 6:05:18 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

If they don't have an e-mail for you, they would have sent it via snail mail.  But if you had an old e-mail —or one you don't read much —on file for communication, it would be there.

If they don't have an e-mail for you, they would have sent it via snail mail.  But if you had an old e-mail —or one you don't read much —on file for communication, it would be there.

30 of 30 (6,365 Views)