bl00dl1ne's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Sunday, March 3rd, 2013 12:06 AM

XBox Live problem - 2wire NAT is not open

I just got Uverse yesterday. I discovered that my NAT is moderate, which prevents me from joining my friends in games. I tried forwarding all the ports that microsoft reccomends... hasn't worked. Any input?

Scholar

• 

101 Messages

11 years ago

@gregzoll_1 wrote:
That info is dated, and is no longer valid, since the changes that have been made in the firmware for the xbox-360 platform, and the firmware for routers have been updated, due to changes that have happened since 2011.

Ponzi obviously we are all wrong because it if gregzoll doesn't agree with us then we must be wrong Smiley Happy 

Despite having evidence to show the contrary he just can't seem to understand the concept of Xbox Live various levels of NAT and how that could conceiveable make it so you can't use some functionality on some online games.

• 

25.7K Messages

11 years ago

I fully understand the concept of NAT more than you probably do. With the gaming systems, you do not need to open ports, unless, unless you are running something like Smoothwall third party router software, due to that is about the only one out there that you would have to open ports, and stealth them.

With the 2-wire gateways, you cannot stealth ports after opening, but when the rig is connected to the RG, it will actually open and close ports as needed, regardless that it does not have UPnP.

You have to understand, there are some of us out there that know a little more about this stuff, and when we state that you do not have to open ports for the Xbox-360 or PS3 on the RG, in order to use it. Only if you have made some really obscure changes to the firewall on the RG beforehand, or have some weird hookup between the xbox-360 & ps3 back to the RG, then you are going to have problems.

Believe it or not, the standard ports are already listed in the firewall, and only way that you would have to go back and add them back in, is if you or someone else deleted them out of the firewall, then yes you would have problems.

Mentor

• 

44 Messages

11 years ago

@gregzoll_1 wrote:
That info is dated, and is no longer valid, since the changes that have been made in the firmware for the xbox-360 platform, and the firmware for routers have been updated, due to changes that have happened since 2011.

Greg, exactly what firmware changes did Microsoft make since 2011 that would have rendered this info outdated? I've checked all of the system software update descriptions for updates that Microsoft released in 2011 and afterwards, and I didn't see any that would pertain to the port-forwarding issue. In general, very few of the Xbox 360 system software updates include firmware updates, and if they do they may just apply to updating the firmware on the DVD drive. Here's a quote from Wikipedia on the subject: "While the system software updates may sometimes provide updates to the system's firmware, it is unlikely that this occurs with many, if any, updates."

As of today, Microsoft still includes the port forwarding recommendations mentioned in the post I linked above. If Microsoft released a firmware update that would have rendered this info obsolete, it's unlikely their Xbox support site would still make this recommendation.

Only a little off topic: I recently had a hardware problem with my Xbox that was solved on the phone with Microsoft technical support. The tech was U.S. based and spent almost an hour with me to narrow the issue down and identify the culprit. I was very impressed with the level of service. If the original poster is still monitoring this thread, he might try giving Microsoft support a call.

• 

25.7K Messages

11 years ago

They have updated a lot due to kinect, and because technology has changed over the past couple years.

Mentor

• 

44 Messages

11 years ago

@gregzoll_1 wrote:
They have updated a lot due to kinect, and because technology has changed over the past couple years.

OK, that's a generally true statement. But you didn't answer the question I posed.

Exactly which Xbox updates released since 2011 would have rendered Microsoft's current recommendations about port-forwarding outdated? That's your claim. If you can't support the claim you made with any specificity, then you shouldn't discourage people from following Microsoft's own recommendations to solve NAT problems.

ACE - Master

• 

6.9K Messages

11 years ago

@Ponzi wrote:

@gregzoll_1 wrote:

OK, that's a generally true statement. But you didn't answer the question I posed.

Exactly which Xbox updates released since 2011 would have rendered Microsoft's current recommendations about port-forwarding outdated? That's your claim. If you can't support the claim you made with any specificity, then you shouldn't discourage people from following Microsoft's own recommendations to solve NAT problems.

I don't have an XBox, but I would definately follow microsoft's recommendation since it's their product.

• 

25.7K Messages

11 years ago

I wouldn't, because first it is not Microsoft's recommendation, and two it is Microsoft. Nothing really more to say, than itheir products are no more secure than leaving food out on the table, when you are in an area that is known for bear attacks. Pretty much the same concept, called common sense.

Mentor

• 

44 Messages

11 years ago

@gregzoll_1 wrote:
I wouldn't, because first it is not Microsoft's recommendation, and two it is Microsoft. Nothing really more to say, than itheir products are no more secure than leaving food out on the table, when you are in an area that is known for bear attacks. Pretty much the same concept, called common sense.

Unbelievable. Greg, please stop spreading misinformation based upon any prejudice you may have against Microsoft. This is indeed Microsoft's recommendation:

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-live/connecting/network-ports-used-xbox-live

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-live/connecting/nat-type-strict

Scholar

• 

101 Messages

11 years ago

@gregzoll_1 wrote:

I think the one thing we know for sure is that in gregzoll's mind his opinion is law Smiley LOL

• 

25.7K Messages

11 years ago

And like Microsoft, it leaves you open for trouble. Again, if you hook the system up as is, to you router, it will work *gasp* out of the box, with no having to open any ports.

The whole reason Microsoft posted that info, was the problems with the original Xbox platform, and original Xbox-360 1st gen. The problems have been resolved with port issues, with later firmware updates and the later platforms for the Xbox-360.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.