jumpinthlake's profile

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

Sunday, August 14th, 2016 8:25 PM

Closed

Where is the Third Party NON-AT&T U Verse Wi-Fi Modem list

Consumers are supposed to be able to use our own equipment if we choose to.  

AT&T U-verse doesn't make it easy for customers. 

Just changed from Time Warner to AT&T U-verse bundle for $89.95 per mo for 2 yrs & $450.00 Visa reward.  Online only finding instructions from ATT U-verse on how to install a non-att u-verse modem.  I've called ATT u-verse tech support, they tell me they do not have a list of modems.  Telling me to call Netgear and give them Network type IP-CO.

When I was with Time Warner at least they provided list of compatible wi-fi modems. 

Can anyone tell me if my wi-fi modem is Netgear N600 WiFi Model C3700 is ok for Network type IP-CO?  Or have a link to list?

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

8 years ago

I though it was up to the person who asked the question to accept any replies as a solution.

Apparently AT&T forces you to buy a modem from them as well as ACCEPT your reply as a SOLUTION!!!!  WOW!!

Are we in the United States still?

I don't believe AT&T U-Verse can have such a MONOPOLY.

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

8 years ago

I don't like the way you handle this forum. 

A COMMUNITY FORUM is not supposed to force you to accept replies as a solution. 

Maybe in China that is acceptable.

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

8 years ago

I DO NOT ACCEPT YOUR SO-CALLED SOLUTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ACE - Expert

• 

34.6K Messages

8 years ago

I don't accept your lack of acceptance.

The rules that require a Cable company (CATV) to allow the customer to purchase the modem do not currently apply to AT&T U-verse.  AT&T did allow some U-verse customers to purchase a modem (from AT&T), but they no longer do so.

The DOCSYS 3.0 modems you list do not support either of the protocols that AT&T U-verse uses, nor do they have the certificates that my thoughts mentioned.  The information in his post is correctl, your dislike of those facts not withstanding.

ACE - Expert

• 

27.6K Messages

8 years ago

You may not want to accept the solution given but it's the only one that is correct.

You cannot bypass using ATT equipment but you can add a third party device behind it.

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

8 years ago

United States Antitrust law says companies shall NOT have exclusive control over a good or service in a particular market. 

THAT protects conglomerates like AT&T from gouging the consumer in a free market system whereas there must be other equipment options/alternatives to AT&T's dictatorial policy. 

I will look into this further further from impartial, objective and/or official sources.

ACE - Expert

• 

27.6K Messages

8 years ago

@jumpinthlake  I found the following that will (perhaps) offer you some clarity on the federal ruling you referenced. 

From USA Today dated 4/4/2016.

Q. Why didn’t you cover AT&T U-verse or Verizon Fios in last weekend’s column about renting or buying cable modems?

A. Neither of those fiber-optic services have anything to do with cable -- they’re both run by companies that began life as telephone firms, and both were built on top of the phone infrastructure, not cable operators’ separate networks.

Remember: It's not cable.  It's not satellite.  It's Uverse.

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

8 years ago

You are either an employee of or have interests in AT&T I will find my "CLARITY" elsewhere. 

[Please keep it courteous]

ACE - Expert

• 

34.6K Messages

8 years ago

jumpinthelake, your attitude towards people who are simply trying to give you accurate information is likewise not appreciated.

Of the people who have posted in this thread, only my thoughts is an employee (but is posting on his own time and not as a representative) of AT&T.

You're confusing anti-trust law with something else.  AT&T is marketing a good and/or service that competes with other vendors (such as the local cable company, DISH, and some wireless companies) to provide you with telephone, internet and/or video services.  Since they compete with these other companies, there is not "exclusive control of a good or service."  [Not withstanding that exactly what you describe was allowed to happen until the 1990s with local telephone lines.]

As a condition of U-verse service (an unregulated business in Telco terms), AT&T requires certain gear, and the FCC doesn't prevent them from doing so.  If you don't want to do business with AT&T, you're free to choose one of the other companies that service your area (hence, no monopoly).  This is not the case with POTS or DSL (regulated business in Telco terms).  Yes, Charter got in trouble for requiring (de facto in some cases) the customer purchase their equipment, but that's because they're a CATV provider.

Ever tried to use DISH without Dish equipment? Hmm???

ACE - Expert

• 

27.6K Messages

8 years ago

Geez, all I do is find information that might be helpful and I get my head bitten off!

ETA:  If you feel that my post with factual information was in any way condescending, please report it to the moderators.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.