arby822's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Monday, June 17th, 2013 10:55 PM

WPS button on AT&T Internet router

Trying to hook up an HP 3520 printer to my ATT wireless network and printer is asking me to hit the WPS button.  I called ATT tech suppport and they are trying to sell me ATT Support Plus. Seems tech support should know what button that is.  I have an ATT 7550 router and just looking for someone to tell me what a WPS button  is.  I have hit the button on the side with the lights with no results.

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

11 years ago

@arby822 wrote:

Trying to hook up an HP 3520 printer to my ATT wireless network and printer is asking me to hit the WPS button.  I called ATT tech suppport and they are trying to sell me ATT Support Plus. Seems tech support should know what button that is.  I have an ATT 7550 router and just looking for someone to tell me what a WPS button  is.  I have hit the button on the side with the lights with no results.

Not all routers have a WPS button - guessing you are using Uverse with their router / gateway. If not what are you using?

Professor

• 

2.1K Messages

11 years ago

WPS stands for Wi-Fi Protected Setup. Basically, you press a button on both devices to allow them to connect. Not all routers have a physical button. Some require that you log into the router to turn it on. If there is a physical button, it will have an icon of two curved arrows pointing in opposite directions.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

I am using the uverse router. Do u have any idea od what my solution is then

Sent by Sprint from my Samsung Galaxy Note® II

Professor

• 

1.8K Messages

11 years ago

You can avoid the automatic network setup that requires you to press the WPS button on the router. This is done by choosing the "add network connection" menu on the printer that requires you to enter the wireless access passphrase. I remember my HP printer asking me to press the WPS button but I just canceled automatic setup and then I went into the manual setup so that I did not have to use the WPS button on my router.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

If you see this symbol, this is your WPS. I am a technician at Livewatch Security, helping a user setup WPS, looking for information on the router being used, came across this forum, and thought I'd toss my 2 cents in in case anyone still needed the answer. Usually when you are doing a WPS setup, you press and hold the button until you see the lights start flashing or the WPS lights up

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

thanks. I have looked for this answer everywhere!

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

8 years ago

I notice in the photo a Netgear extender. I just bought one and am trying to connect it to the router. So do I press the WPS on the extender first, and while light is blinking, press on and hold the WPS button on router? My computer network connection shows I'm connected to Netgear_ext, but the light on the extender doesn't come on to show router is connected. So either using WPS or trying to connect through the browser doesn't work. Any suggestions I surely will appreciate. Thank you.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

8 years ago

@skling55 - RE: My computer network connection shows I'm connected to Netgear_ext, but the light on the extender doesn't come on to show router is connected. 

The purpose of WPS is to connect the netgear to the RG by pressing the WPS button on the two devices to give them a short period of time to automatically exchange credentials.

One roadblock to this happening is that WPS is NOT enabled in the RG. Access the RG GUI - http://192.168.1.254/xslt?PAGE=C_2_1 - enable the WPS - Press the buttons & it should work.

Your RG GUI may be different

There is a save button for changes at the bottom of the page

You can use the GUI WPS button instead of the physical WPS button

You may need the GUI password found on the label on the side of the RG.

Ignore the WPS PIN. That is another method. Read about it in wikipedia.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

my tv which is at&t u verse keeps saying hold usp button but there is not one my cpmputer and living room tv is working but not my bed room tv

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

8 years ago

@Ae1998 - Do not recognize UPS button.

For TV there is a screen that says press OK. THis for when the TV turns on & u-verse does not. Press OK  on the TV remote & it should work.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.