U-verse Forums

Posted Oct 30, 2013
2:11:24 PM
Uverse-Motorola NVG589 - 2 XBOX consoles on one Network - AND an OPEN NAT ??? possible or not???

Looking for a solution to maintain OPEN NAT for both XBOX 360 consoles.

Equipment list:

• XBOX Console  (x2)
  • ATT/Uverse Fiber Optic internet service
  • Motorola NVG589

I've literally tried all kinds of settings adjustments within the router, port forward, DMZ, opening the Synonomous "XBOX ports" 3074-88-80-53 ... seriously.  I've seen almost every crazy method except for the fact that most articles/blogs/posts are discussing OPEN NAT for ONE XBOX console, not 2. 

The only "solution" I haven't tried yet and am reluctant to try becuase it involves spending money is to convert the NVG589 to modem, then Cascade anouther router to be the actual router.  DON"T want to do that and am hoping someone has a solution ...

Please don't respond if your solution is to do Port forward or Open Ports 3074-88-80-53 or any other ports beucase I've already tried and that is not successful solution.  When you open specific ports most routers require those specific configuratoins to be assigned to on specific Devise - i.e. a laptop, xbox, etc.

Looking for a method of opening all incoming ports for multiple/specific devices - or just all of them.

Looking for a solution to maintain OPEN NAT for both XBOX 360 consoles.

Equipment list:

• XBOX Console  (x2)
  • Motorola NVG589

I've literally tried all kinds of settings adjustments within the router, port forward, DMZ, opening the Synonomous "XBOX ports" 3074-88-80-53 ... seriously.  I've seen almost every crazy method except for the fact that most articles/blogs/posts are discussing OPEN NAT for ONE XBOX console, not 2. 

The only "solution" I haven't tried yet and am reluctant to try becuase it involves spending money is to convert the NVG589 to modem, then Cascade anouther router to be the actual router.  DON"T want to do that and am hoping someone has a solution ...

Please don't respond if your solution is to do Port forward or Open Ports 3074-88-80-53 or any other ports beucase I've already tried and that is not successful solution.  When you open specific ports most routers require those specific configuratoins to be assigned to on specific Devise - i.e. a laptop, xbox, etc.

Looking for a method of opening all incoming ports for multiple/specific devices - or just all of them.

Uverse-Motorola NVG589 - 2 XBOX consoles on one Network - AND an OPEN NAT ??? possible or not???

18 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
Replies
(18)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 30, 2013 2:33:14 PM
(0)
Employee
Please see http://forums.att.com/t5/Device-Setup/Pace-5310NV-and-multiple-xbox360-s/m-p/3689599#M993

Pay particular attention to somejoe7777 posts as well as david's.

Basically need to spend money.....but at least not an another open port reply you did not want.
Please see http://forums.att.com/t5/Device-Setup/Pace-5310NV-and-multiple-xbox360-s/m-p/3689599#M993

Pay particular attention to somejoe7777 posts as well as david's.

Basically need to spend money.....but at least not an another open port reply you did not want.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: Uverse-Motorola NVG589 - 2 XBOX consoles on one Network - AND an OPEN NAT ??? possible or not??

2 of 19 (5,669 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 31, 2013 6:51:10 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

And just because that thread is about a PACE 5031 instead of an NVG 589, don't get hung up on that; it applies to pretty much any NAT gateway that doesn't support UPnP (which includes all of AT&T's).  

And just because that thread is about a PACE 5031 instead of an NVG 589, don't get hung up on that; it applies to pretty much any NAT gateway that doesn't support UPnP (which includes all of AT&T's).  

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Uverse-Motorola NVG589 - 2 XBOX consoles on one Network - AND an OPEN NAT ??? possible or not??

3 of 19 (5,636 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 31, 2013 10:26:25 AM
(0)
Tutor

Yeah ...figuring that out.  So many misguided suggestions out there - seems pretty basic once you understand that you are trying to open a specific incoming doorway for XBOX live traffic but if the router can't duplicate those specific door ways you can't run 2 consoles on the same network... am I right about that?  Still looking for a good router - suggestions anyone?  Need a "gaming" or "UPNP equipped" router.

Yeah ...figuring that out.  So many misguided suggestions out there - seems pretty basic once you understand that you are trying to open a specific incoming doorway for XBOX live traffic but if the router can't duplicate those specific door ways you can't run 2 consoles on the same network... am I right about that?  Still looking for a good router - suggestions anyone?  Need a "gaming" or "UPNP equipped" router.

4 of 19 (5,627 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 31, 2013 1:51:54 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

seang8gt wrote:

Yeah ...figuring that out.  So many misguided suggestions out there - seems pretty basic once you understand that you are trying to open a specific incoming doorway for XBOX live traffic but if the router can't duplicate those specific door ways you can't run 2 consoles on the same network... am I right about that? 

Exactly.  There are only two pieces of address information coming in to route the packet, (a) the IP address (shared by every device behind the NAT router) and (b) port.  When an outbound connection is opened, the router knows who what address/port opened a connection to what address/port, then the return comes back in, he can route it.  When you open a port, you're telling the router (a) to accept the packet (instead of throwing it away) and (b) where to send it.  You can't tell it two different places to send it.

seang8gt wrote:

Yeah ...figuring that out.  So many misguided suggestions out there - seems pretty basic once you understand that you are trying to open a specific incoming doorway for XBOX live traffic but if the router can't duplicate those specific door ways you can't run 2 consoles on the same network... am I right about that? 

Exactly.  There are only two pieces of address information coming in to route the packet, (a) the IP address (shared by every device behind the NAT router) and (b) port.  When an outbound connection is opened, the router knows who what address/port opened a connection to what address/port, then the return comes back in, he can route it.  When you open a port, you're telling the router (a) to accept the packet (instead of throwing it away) and (b) where to send it.  You can't tell it two different places to send it.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

5 of 19 (5,617 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 4, 2013 7:16:11 AM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by Taylarie on Nov 4, 2013 at 7:21:43 AM

This is a follow up to my last post: 

Uverse-Motorola NVG589 - 2 XBOX consoles on one Network - AND an OPEN NAT ???  possible or not???

I'm also posting this so that anyone attempting to Run 2 Xbox 360 Consoles off one Network can understand why this is the ONLY method that works – especially if you have the {word filter evasion} child of Internet Service, AT&T Uverse. 

Discoveries:

1. One XBOX connect to ONE network - If you have ONE XBOX console connected to your network and have any NAT issues – Opening the “XBOX” ports 3074, 88, 80, 53 should work to change your NAT from Strict/Moderate to OPEN.  There are various methods of achieving this found pretty much everywhere
  2. 2 XBOX’s connected to ONE network – NVG589 – cannot and will not connect multiple XBOX consoles because of IP address issues and the simple fact that NONE of the AT&T routers are capable of PORT TRIGGERING nor UPnP. 
  3. 2nd ROUTER behind AT&T router is the only way to setup 2 consoles …???  I think

First, Updated Equipment list:

• XBOX Console  (x2)
  • Motorola NVG589 (Modem?)
  • (NEW) Linksys – EA6300 – Router

For the rest of this post I am going to refer to the NVG589 as the “MODEM” and the new “cascaded router” (Linksys-EA6300) as the “ROUTER. 

First issue I had when trying to installing/connect the new router was how to “Login” to the ROUTER settings.  For example, the standard IP address for the AT&T Modem (NVG589) is 192.68.1.254.

So … how/what IP address do you or CAN you use to login to the settings for the Cascaded Router? 

This particular router requires you to go to www.linksyssmartwifi.com to login for firs use.  The only issue with that is this website won’t recognize the router or keeps sending me to a page within Linksys telling me I need a firmware update.  Downloaded the Firmware – saved to hard drive in a folder – but still cannot access/login to Linksys router settings … not sure what to do and can’t even attempt to cascade or move forward. 

Need to know how to get into this router settings page, anyone have this router or setup any Linksys within the last year that has done this?

This is a follow up to my last post: 

Uverse-Motorola NVG589 - 2 XBOX consoles on one Network - AND an OPEN NAT ???  possible or not???

I'm also posting this so that anyone attempting to Run 2 Xbox 360 Consoles off one Network can understand why this is the ONLY method that works – especially if you have the {word filter evasion} child of Internet Service, AT&T Uverse. 

Discoveries:

1. One XBOX connect to ONE network - If you have ONE XBOX console connected to your network and have any NAT issues – Opening the “XBOX” ports 3074, 88, 80, 53 should work to change your NAT from Strict/Moderate to OPEN.  There are various methods of achieving this found pretty much everywhere
  2. 2 XBOX’s connected to ONE network – NVG589 – cannot and will not connect multiple XBOX consoles because of IP address issues and the simple fact that NONE of the AT&T routers are capable of PORT TRIGGERING nor UPnP. 
  3. 2nd ROUTER behind AT&T router is the only way to setup 2 consoles …???  I think

First, Updated Equipment list:

• XBOX Console  (x2)
  • Motorola NVG589 (Modem?)
  • (NEW) Linksys – EA6300 – Router

For the rest of this post I am going to refer to the NVG589 as the “MODEM” and the new “cascaded router” (Linksys-EA6300) as the “ROUTER. 

First issue I had when trying to installing/connect the new router was how to “Login” to the ROUTER settings.  For example, the standard IP address for the AT&T Modem (NVG589) is 192.68.1.254.

So … how/what IP address do you or CAN you use to login to the settings for the Cascaded Router? 

This particular router requires you to go to www.linksyssmartwifi.com to login for firs use.  The only issue with that is this website won’t recognize the router or keeps sending me to a page within Linksys telling me I need a firmware update.  Downloaded the Firmware – saved to hard drive in a folder – but still cannot access/login to Linksys router settings … not sure what to do and can’t even attempt to cascade or move forward. 

Need to know how to get into this router settings page, anyone have this router or setup any Linksys within the last year that has done this?

2 XBOX consoles - 1 Network - & OPEN NAT - Cascade 2nd Router behind NVG589

[ Edited ]
6 of 19 (5,572 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 6, 2014 1:33:49 PM
(0)
Contributor

I have the same set up. The NVG589 and the linksys EWA6900.

To get back into the Linksys Router, plug an ethernet cable directly between the Linksy and the computer.

Then try the login as 192.168.1.1. You still have to have the login information. Alternatively,  you might try to plug the Linksys into the Motorola NVG589. Then you can go to the Linksys website and log in via the internet. I have done it this way.

I have 3Xbox 360's and I have had them all on the Red Dead Redemtion Multiplayer game at the same time, but that was with a Time Warner Modem.

I am still trying to find out how to turn the NVG589 NAT settings on.

Any clue? 

I have the same set up. The NVG589 and the linksys EWA6900.

To get back into the Linksys Router, plug an ethernet cable directly between the Linksy and the computer.

Then try the login as 192.168.1.1. You still have to have the login information. Alternatively,  you might try to plug the Linksys into the Motorola NVG589. Then you can go to the Linksys website and log in via the internet. I have done it this way.

I have 3Xbox 360's and I have had them all on the Red Dead Redemtion Multiplayer game at the same time, but that was with a Time Warner Modem.

I am still trying to find out how to turn the NVG589 NAT settings on.

Any clue? 

Re: 2 XBOX consoles - 1 Network - & OPEN NAT - Cascade 2nd Router behind NVG589

7 of 19 (4,096 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 6, 2014 1:36:35 PM
(0)
Contributor

PS. I have had the 3 xboxes online at the same time by having one on the NVG589, one on the EA6900 and one connected to a powerline ethernet adapter connected to the EA6900 that is in turn connected to the NVG589.

PS. I have had the 3 xboxes online at the same time by having one on the NVG589, one on the EA6900 and one connected to a powerline ethernet adapter connected to the EA6900 that is in turn connected to the NVG589.

8 of 19 (4,096 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 6, 2014 3:01:13 PM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by houston01 on Feb 6, 2014 at 3:01:45 PM

I posted a very specific how to under the post titled "3 Methods to connect an XBox for multi-player gaming" dated Jan 4 2014.

It is the only way to get a NAT OPEN, if don't insert a UPnP router into your set-up you may be able to use 2 XBox's just fine but they won't have a NAT of Open.

I posted a very specific how to under the post titled "3 Methods to connect an XBox for multi-player gaming" dated Jan 4 2014.

It is the only way to get a NAT OPEN, if don't insert a UPnP router into your set-up you may be able to use 2 XBox's just fine but they won't have a NAT of Open.

[ Edited ]
9 of 19 (4,083 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 10, 2014 2:37:57 PM
(0)
Tutor

Its time for you "ATT" to put a router out that has the ability to ip pass through for multiple devices!

Its time for you "ATT" to put a router out that has the ability to ip pass through for multiple devices!

10 of 19 (4,016 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 10, 2014 2:40:20 PM
(0)
Tutor
Or a UPnP would do the job also but would rather be able to put in pass-through though
Or a UPnP would do the job also but would rather be able to put in pass-through though

11 of 19 (4,015 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 10, 2014 2:46:46 PM
(0)
Tutor

Does anyone know how to do this with the Belkin N750?

I just happen to have one. I tried the pass-through for one xbox and allacate the other and of course it didnt work. In fact it wouldnt go online to live with both settings being used on live. It would go live if the network on the xbox was set to auto but not manual.

If someone coluld tell me what step to start with and then the next step as in what router to do what to first would be great.

Does anyone know how to do this with the Belkin N750?

I just happen to have one. I tried the pass-through for one xbox and allacate the other and of course it didnt work. In fact it wouldnt go online to live with both settings being used on live. It would go live if the network on the xbox was set to auto but not manual.

If someone coluld tell me what step to start with and then the next step as in what router to do what to first would be great.

12 of 19 (4,014 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 10, 2014 2:50:29 PM
(0)
Tutor

Sorry i for got to tell that i am using a Netgear 1gb Port switch also because i like to run eithernet to my xboxes and computers. I also play WOW (AKA World of Warcraft). I'm trying to list all the things that may interfer with the setup so that i get the proper advice from someone.

Sorry i for got to tell that i am using a Netgear 1gb Port switch also because i like to run eithernet to my xboxes and computers. I also play WOW (AKA World of Warcraft). I'm trying to list all the things that may interfer with the setup so that i get the proper advice from someone.

13 of 19 (4,011 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 10, 2014 7:31:04 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

There are only 2 ways to get OpenNAT for two different devices with one configuration:

1) Obtain a static address block from AT&T so that you can have multiple external addresses.

2) Obtain a router that has the UPnP feature and place it in DMZplus/IP Passthrough mode behind the RG.

Pick one of these.

There are only 2 ways to get OpenNAT for two different devices with one configuration:

1) Obtain a static address block from AT&T so that you can have multiple external addresses.

2) Obtain a router that has the UPnP feature and place it in DMZplus/IP Passthrough mode behind the RG.

Pick one of these.

14 of 19 (3,982 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 12, 2014 9:22:32 PM
(0)
Tutor

I have a belkin n 750 that has UPnP on it. I just plug my router into the att one thats hoocked up already?  Do i need to casecasde the att router? If so i know how to turn the cascade on but dont realy understand hot to set it up from there. After that do i go in my router and put it in dmz mode for one box then ip pass for the other? I should menthion that i know nothing about UPnP but do know how to turn it on with the belkin. Lol i guess i need a step bye step guide cause i dont want to spend 5 hrs doing it and not figure it out.

I have a belkin n 750 that has UPnP on it. I just plug my router into the att one thats hoocked up already?  Do i need to casecasde the att router? If so i know how to turn the cascade on but dont realy understand hot to set it up from there. After that do i go in my router and put it in dmz mode for one box then ip pass for the other? I should menthion that i know nothing about UPnP but do know how to turn it on with the belkin. Lol i guess i need a step bye step guide cause i dont want to spend 5 hrs doing it and not figure it out.

15 of 19 (3,930 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 13, 2014 7:53:42 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by JefferMC on Feb 13, 2014 at 7:54:38 AM

You connect the WAN port of your router to a LAN port of the RG.  Configure your router in DMZplus/IP Passthrough using the RG configuration pages.  This means that the traffic between router and the RG is nearly unmolested; your router can perform NAT and UPnP operations without worrying about the RG.

Then you connect both of your consoles wirelessly or via LAN ports to your router.  Your router opens ports to make your games say "NAT type: Open" (which is a term gaming software/consoles invented which has no basis in actual networking terminology).

see post 2 in this thread for a little more information.  There's also a very good post around that goes step by step with screenshots for configuring the NVG 589.

You connect the WAN port of your router to a LAN port of the RG.  Configure your router in DMZplus/IP Passthrough using the RG configuration pages.  This means that the traffic between router and the RG is nearly unmolested; your router can perform NAT and UPnP operations without worrying about the RG.

Then you connect both of your consoles wirelessly or via LAN ports to your router.  Your router opens ports to make your games say "NAT type: Open" (which is a term gaming software/consoles invented which has no basis in actual networking terminology).

see post 2 in this thread for a little more information.  There's also a very good post around that goes step by step with screenshots for configuring the NVG 589.

[ Edited ]
16 of 19 (3,913 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 13, 2014 8:47:27 PM
(0)
Tutor
On the Belkin N750 do I Dmzing one of the Xboxes or the router itself? Like my belkin default is 192.168.2.1. Is this the Dmz ip I need?
On the Belkin N750 do I Dmzing one of the Xboxes or the router itself? Like my belkin default is 192.168.2.1. Is this the Dmz ip I need?

17 of 19 (3,887 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 13, 2014 11:27:56 PM
(0)
Tutor
Man maybe I should go back to Metronet. Never had any of these problems. Also had fiber optic network with 50 down 25 up and it wasn't no more then At&t.
Man maybe I should go back to Metronet. Never had any of these problems. Also had fiber optic network with 50 down 25 up and it wasn't no more then At&t.

18 of 19 (3,876 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 14, 2014 1:21:10 PM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by shaunch1983 on Feb 14, 2014 at 1:21:54 PM

I just went with the static ip block. I could'nt get the bridge to preform right all the time. I will have to figure out how to setup static ips on NVG 589 and the Xboxes as well. Have read a couple things but still not clear on the process.

I just went with the static ip block. I could'nt get the bridge to preform right all the time. I will have to figure out how to setup static ips on NVG 589 and the Xboxes as well. Have read a couple things but still not clear on the process.

[ Edited ]
19 of 19 (3,846 Views)