donluz's profile

Teacher

• 

3 Messages

Thursday, February 21st, 2013 10:05 PM

Using your own router with the Motorola NVG510 - it absolutely works and it's easy to do!

Hello.  I am writing this in an attempt to save other customers (and the AT&T staff) from many hours of work and frustration.  I was a long-time DSL customer and had always used my own router behind the DSL modem.  A simple setting on the modem turned it into a "dumb" pass-through and allowed my router to handle all the traffic as I pleased.  Changing over to U-verse required a new modem and at first, that presented a huge problem with my router.

What took me about 7 hours of work, online chatting with multiple agents and even finally trying paid support with AT&T (and in both cases being told it's not possible to do), I succeeded in using my own home router with the NVG510 modem under the U-verse service.  The process is fast and simple (in retrospect) and should take you about 10 minutes.

See below...

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Teacher

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

You will need to adjust settings on both the NVG510 and your router.  In my example, I'm using a Linksys E3000, but based on how these settings work, I would state that you can use any decent router of choice.  There's nothing being set that's "router-specific"; every modern router should have these settings.

The NVG510 (modem)...

Step 1:  connect the NVG510 with a computer.  This can be done through a wired or wireless connection.  I won't get into those details here, but you'll want to open the interface to the NVG510 in a browser (e.g. Internet Explorer).  The default IP for the modem is 192.168.1.254.  You will need the access code (on the side of the modem) to make changes in the settings.  Point your browser to "http://192.168.1.254".

With the modem's interface showing in your browser...

Step 2:  click on "Home Network | Subnets & DHCP".  Here you'll want to use settings similar to the example below.  The key here is that the IP address pattern of your NVG510 and your home router's set of IP addresses must differ in the 3rd offset.  As in:

"xxx.xxx.yyy.xxx".  So the "yyy" segment (offset) needs to be different.  I used "1" for the modem (which is how it's defaulted to with 192.168.1.254) and then "0" for my router as in 192.168.0.110.

Here are the modem's settings:

untitledNVG510 modem - screenshot of subnets and dhcp.JPG

Save the changes, but don't reboot yet.  We have another change to make (if you reboot, it's ok as it won't hurt anything, just takes longer).

Step 3:  click on "Firewall | Ip Passthrough".  Update the settings as follows:

untitledNVG510 modem - screenshot of default server under firewall.JPG

The "allocation mode" should be on "default server".  I tried both "off" and "passthrough" and neither worked.  This seems to be a crucial step.  Note that the "default server internal address" must match the address of our single DHCP one being assigned by the NVG510.

Be sure to SAVE the changes.  Don't bother rebooting - just unplug the power cord from the NVG510.  We are moving on to the settings in the router and the next time we plug-in the modem, that will serve as its reboot.

Home Router (Linksys E3000)...

Step 1:  Unplug the NVG510 from your computer (or disconnect if connected wirelessly) and connect to your home router.  In my case, I'm connecting to a Linksys E3000 (again, not really important here on the brand/model you have; everything here should work the same).

With the router's interface showing in your browser...

Step 2:  Find the "setup" page (usually the default screen which comes up) to where you establish the connection type (e.g. PPPoe, static, etc.) and set the connection type to "static IP".  We're going to configure to have a static IP because of the single, static IP coming from the NVG510, the 192.168.1.1It seems the NVG510 handles all the authentication for us:

Linksys router setup screenshot.jpg

Notice that the router's IP address has the "0" in the 3rd offset.  Remember, this 3rd offset must be different than that of the modem's.  You can use whatever you want, but the router and modem must differ there.

The "default gateway" and "dns" are both set to that of the NVG510 address.  I suppose you can use whatever you want such as Google's "8.8.8.8".  Regarding the gateway address, if you changed yours from the modem's default, be sure to reflect that here as well in the router. 

Be sure to SAVE your changes.  That's it!

There are no more steps required in your router to operate with the NVG510.

To ensure everything takes effect, turn off your router (unplug if no power switch).  Then plug in your NVG510 and power-on the router (at same time is fine; otherwise, do modem then router).

The end result of the network setup is depicted here:

NVG510 and home router IP config example.jpg

Once again, you can use any IP configurations you want.  Just use this example to correspondingly change the addresses in both the modem and router to meet your liking.

I hope this feedback is able to benefit others.  I would hate to learn that someone else is having to spend 7 hours on the chats and phone calls only to have this quick process done at the end.

4 Attachments

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

10 years ago

This process appears to work for NVG 589 as well.

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

10 years ago

This does work for both the NVG510 and NVG589, however, using the Default Server mode results in double-NAT. To get as close to bridge as possible, you need to use Passthrough mode, which will require the WAN interface of your router to be set to DHCP.

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

10 years ago

I wonder if someone with a NVG 589 could put together the screen shots of it conifigured that way?

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

10 years ago

THANK YOU DONLUZ!!! Your solution has solved my problem with terrible upstream when using the NVG510. I set up my E1000 as you described and my upstream has gone from .2 - .3 with the NVG back to .9 that I used to have.
Thank you again.

Voyager

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

I'm using gaming systems so I really want to use this gateway/modem as a simple pass through and use my own ASUS router that works great! I saw you (SomeJoe7777) posted about a double-NAT issue and that sounds like it would be an issue with what I want to do. I also noticed on the Home Netowork > Settings & DHCP section of the NVG510 that there's a Cascaded Router option/feature. Isn't this was this is for? Or should I use the method posted by donluz and set my router WAN to DHCP?

Thanks,

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

can we add additional addresses/connections on the ATT router in this setup? i'd like to keep separate the wireless video traffic from the internal subnet.

so to restate in your diagram you have a single connection to the ATT gateway can we have additional devices at that level?

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

Is there an A/C replacement for the Motorola NVG510, which is only wireless N??

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

Thank you! 🙂

Voyager

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

I was able to connect a personal router to the NVG589 by doing this.

1.Configure personal router

a. Set IP to 192.168.2.254

b. DHCP enabled as it was previously with DSL

2.Configure NVG589 using a pc connected to a LAN port

a. Set allocation mode to IP Passthrough

b. Set passthrough mode to DHCPS-fixed

c. Enter personal router’s MAC address in the Passthrough Fixed MAC address field

d. Reset the NVG589.  It takes a couple of minutes.

e. After the NVG589 reset I had to restart the phone

f. Connect LAN 1 from NVG589 to personal router’s WAN input

3. Plugged all wired devices into LAN ports of personal router and setup wireless LAN.

I didn’t disable any of the firewall settings on the NVG589 and also kept DHCP enabled.   Now comes the interesting part, after enabling the NVG589’s wireless LAN it functioned correctly as wireless router.   Without knowing what the NVG589 is doing internally it appears that this setup has two separate networks.    Everything tied to the personal router is behind its firewall.   I think the NVG589’s firewall is set up and protecting the NVG589’s wireless network.   My plan is to configure the NVG589 WLAN as a guest network (192.168.1.x) and the personal router will be the private network (192.168.2.x).  Does someone who knows more about the NVG589 confirm that the guest network is protected by the firewall even it is set up for passthrough mode?    I’m assuming that the NVG’s firewall is not filtering the connection to the personal router, but that doesn’t really matter.

Does anyone see any issues with this setup from the perspective of conflicts / speed issues and also from a security perspective?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.