Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Mar 16, 2011
8:18:23 AM
U-verse for BUSINESS? : 2Wire 3600HGV bridge mode? or another AT&T supported VDSL modem?
Edited by Treo600user on Mar 16, 2011 at 8:59:31 AM

I am having trouble properly configuring this AT&T 2Wire 3600HGV modem for my network. Maybe someone is aware of a different firmware for this product?

I am completely aware of how to setup the DMZ mode & router behind router setup in these boxes but that is NOT the point. (We have supported firewalled networked equipment working that has all the bells & whistles including QoS)

In the event of a factory reset of the AT&T 2Wire VDSL modem at this business, I want to properly insure the following business requirements are met:

- DHCP - OFF (at min, it appears you must leave one available?)

- WiFi - OFF (Yes this can be turned off, but bridging it always insured it was turned off in the past. ON is a security concern among just bad business i.e. conflict with other business WiFi, employees might see/use this non-content filtered WiFi, etc etc)

- & passing off internet service needs to be easy to another networked supported OUTSIDE of AT&T firewall. (I'm NOT asking for AT&T support on this, but in the bridge DSL world, this was EASY)

- if bridging this 2Wire is NOT an option, backing up the configuration settings would be a nice alternative but that is not available as well?

Bridging the old DSL modems always worked nicely but the 2Wire 3XXXHGV line appears to be the ONLY ones to support the AT&T VDSL Max Turbo speeds. 24Mbps down / 3 Mbps up which we use not only for normal business operations (credit cards, business email, web based training, etc) but this high speed is required to view onsite security video (3Mbps up) and offer customers FAST free WiFi!

AT&T U-Verse offers the right price, contract, speed, internet package & installers to properly handle our resturant locations company's data needs but I'm struggling with the their "business" support of this 2Wire VDSL modem product. We ONLY use the internet, no TV (not legally available for restaurants, yet). No Voip because POTS is our reliable backup. So it's just the internet service ...

For coverage on AT&T Uverse, we have over 50 locations lit up like a Christmas tree but sadly business support on this product is driving me nutz! Maybe because I now see this is listed under "Residential Gateway"? Is this AT&T 2Wire VDSL modem product not meant for business? Is anyone aware of another supported AT&T VDSL modem or a different 2Wire firmware available? Official AT&T support has me running in circles (AT&T U-verse support > AT&T Connecttech > AT&T Connecttech360 > AT&T U-verse support, rinse, repeat)  

help?

I am having trouble properly configuring this AT&T 2Wire 3600HGV modem for my network. Maybe someone is aware of a different firmware for this product?

I am completely aware of how to setup the DMZ mode & router behind router setup in these boxes but that is NOT the point. (We have supported firewalled networked equipment working that has all the bells & whistles including QoS)

In the event of a factory reset of the AT&T 2Wire VDSL modem at this business, I want to properly insure the following business requirements are met:

- DHCP - OFF (at min, it appears you must leave one available?)

- WiFi - OFF (Yes this can be turned off, but bridging it always insured it was turned off in the past. ON is a security concern among just bad business i.e. conflict with other business WiFi, employees might see/use this non-content filtered WiFi, etc etc)

- & passing off internet service needs to be easy to another networked supported OUTSIDE of AT&T firewall. (I'm NOT asking for AT&T support on this, but in the bridge DSL world, this was EASY)

- if bridging this 2Wire is NOT an option, backing up the configuration settings would be a nice alternative but that is not available as well?

Bridging the old DSL modems always worked nicely but the 2Wire 3XXXHGV line appears to be the ONLY ones to support the AT&T VDSL Max Turbo speeds. 24Mbps down / 3 Mbps up which we use not only for normal business operations (credit cards, business email, web based training, etc) but this high speed is required to view onsite security video (3Mbps up) and offer customers FAST free WiFi!

AT&T U-Verse offers the right price, contract, speed, internet package & installers to properly handle our resturant locations company's data needs but I'm struggling with the their "business" support of this 2Wire VDSL modem product. We ONLY use the internet, no TV (not legally available for restaurants, yet). No Voip because POTS is our reliable backup. So it's just the internet service ...

For coverage on AT&T Uverse, we have over 50 locations lit up like a Christmas tree but sadly business support on this product is driving me nutz! Maybe because I now see this is listed under "Residential Gateway"? Is this AT&T 2Wire VDSL modem product not meant for business? Is anyone aware of another supported AT&T VDSL modem or a different 2Wire firmware available? Official AT&T support has me running in circles (AT&T U-verse support > AT&T Connecttech > AT&T Connecttech360 > AT&T U-verse support, rinse, repeat)  

help?

(1)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Mar 16, 2011 6:52:30 PM
(1)
Expert

There is no true bridge mode on the 2Wire routers.  However, you can still configure it such that almost all functions of your own router will work properly.

1. Set your router's WAN interface to get an IP address via DHCP.  This is required at first so that the 2Wire recognizes your router.

2. Plug your router's WAN interface to one of the 2Wire's LAN interfaces.

3. Restart your router, let it get an IP address via DHCP.

4. Log into the 2Wire router's interface.  Go to Settings -> Firewall -> Applications, Pinholes, and DMZ

5. Select your router under section (1).

6. Click the DMZPlus button under section (2).

7. Click the Save button.

8. Restart your router, when it gets an address via DHCP again, it will be the public outside IP address.  At this point, you can leave your router in DHCP mode (make sure the firewall on your router allows the DHCP renewal packets, which will occur every 10 minutes), or you can change your router's IP address assignment on the WAN interface to static, and use the same settings it received via DHCP.

9. On the 2Wire router, go to Settings -> Firewall -> Advanced Configuration

10. Uncheck the following: Stealth Mode, Block Ping, Strict UDP Session Control.

11. Check everything under Outbound Protocol Control except NetBIOS.

12. Uncheck NetBIOS under Inbound Protocol Control.

13. Uncheck all the Attack Detection checkboxes (7 of them).

14. Click Save.

Your router should now be able to route as if the 2Wire was a straight bridge, for the most part.

Inbound port 22 might be blocked, and inbound ports 8000-8015 might also be blocked, and there's nothing that can be done about it.

This is how I have my 2Wire configured, and I have a Cisco 2811 behind it doing IPSec, IPv6 tunnels, etc.

Accepted Solution

U-verse for BUSINESS? : 2Wire 3600HGV bridge mode? or another AT&T supported VDSL modem?

[ Edited ]
613 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(613)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 23, 2014 4:54:56 PM
(0)
Expert
Edited by SomeJoe7777 on May 23, 2014 at 4:55:46 PM

CrispyTX,

See the following post for instructions to set up your own wireless access point:

http://forums.att.com/t5/Residential-Gateway/U-verse-for-BUSINESS-2Wire-3600HGV-bridge-mode-or-anoth...

CrispyTX,

See the following post for instructions to set up your own wireless access point:

http://forums.att.com/t5/Residential-Gateway/U-verse-for-BUSINESS-2Wire-3600HGV-bridge-mode-or-another-AT-amp/m-p/2723261#M313

Re: U-verse for BUSINESS? : 2Wire 3600HGV bridge mode? or another AT&T supported VDSL modem?

[ Edited ]
571 of 614 (3,456 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 23, 2014 7:31:15 PM
(0)
Voyager

Hey thanks for that Joe, I've looked that over and still have some questions. When you say Lan ports is that an ethernet port? Also in step one am I turning DHCP off on the WD? Thanks again man. 

Hey thanks for that Joe, I've looked that over and still have some questions. When you say Lan ports is that an ethernet port? Also in step one am I turning DHCP off on the WD? Thanks again man. 

Re: U-verse for BUSINESS? : 2Wire 3600HGV bridge mode? or another AT&T supported VDSL modem?

572 of 614 (3,447 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 23, 2014 7:34:44 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

CrispyTX wrote:

Yes, the 4 Ethernet ports on the RG are also called LAN ports.  On any consumer router (such as your WD), there is normally one Ethernet port marked WAN or Internet, and the rest are LAN ports.

Yes, the WD device is your router.

CrispyTX wrote:

Yes, the 4 Ethernet ports on the RG are also called LAN ports.  On any consumer router (such as your WD), there is normally one Ethernet port marked WAN or Internet, and the rest are LAN ports.

Yes, the WD device is your router.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

573 of 614 (3,444 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 23, 2014 7:35:14 PM
(0)
Expert
On most routers, there are 5 Ethernet ports. 4 of them are for the LAN (inside network), and one is for the WAN (connects to the ISP's modem/gateway). For this use, you will plug it in using one of the LAN ports, leaving the WAN port and the other 3 LAN ports empty.

Yes, you are turning off DHCP on your unit (the WD).

On most routers, there are 5 Ethernet ports. 4 of them are for the LAN (inside network), and one is for the WAN (connects to the ISP's modem/gateway). For this use, you will plug it in using one of the LAN ports, leaving the WAN port and the other 3 LAN ports empty.

Yes, you are turning off DHCP on your unit (the WD).

574 of 614 (3,443 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 23, 2014 7:36:24 PM
(0)
Expert
Jeffer beat me by 30 seconds, LOL.
Jeffer beat me by 30 seconds, LOL.

575 of 614 (3,443 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 24, 2014 11:17:23 PM
(0)
Voyager

thanks for the help so far, few more questions.

When i pluged the wd into the 2wires lan port i was able to sign into the wd router and use wifi, without any other set up. Why is that? I'd like to set it up the right way, so now im on step 3. when i change my router from dhcp to static I get the following blank boxes: IP address, Subnet Mask, Default Gateway, Primary DNS, and Mac Address. Where do I get the correct numbers to put in those boxes? 

thanks for the help so far, few more questions.

When i pluged the wd into the 2wires lan port i was able to sign into the wd router and use wifi, without any other set up. Why is that? I'd like to set it up the right way, so now im on step 3. when i change my router from dhcp to static I get the following blank boxes: IP address, Subnet Mask, Default Gateway, Primary DNS, and Mac Address. Where do I get the correct numbers to put in those boxes? 

576 of 614 (3,399 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 25, 2014 6:18:26 AM
(0)
Expert
That section for DHCP is for the WAN port, that's not the section we're interested in. Look for the LAN (local network settings), and turn off DHCP there.

That section for DHCP is for the WAN port, that's not the section we're interested in. Look for the LAN (local network settings), and turn off DHCP there.

577 of 614 (3,386 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 31, 2014 12:48:43 PM
(0)
Voyager

Thanks for your post Joe.

I am doing exactly what you are proposing here. 2Wire LAN ---- Router LAN, so my router can act as a "dumb" switch and access point and everything can be in the same subnet.

I turned off DHCP and the WAN interface in the (Buffalo DD-WRT) router. I also turned off WiFi on the 2Wire.

Everything is now in the same subnet 192.168.1.0/24 and anything that is connected to the router LAN ports gets an IP address from the 2Wire and works well, including 2 U-verse TV boxes.

The issue that I am having has to do with the wireless. All devices can "connect" to my router's WiFi but they do not get IP addresses via DHCP.

I know the router's WiFi is good, because if I change my router's configuration to work as router, turn on DHCP and connect the router to the 2Wire via the WAN port then everything works well. The problem with that is that then the 2Wire and the TV boxes will be in a different subnet from the rest of my devices.

It is weird that devices connected to the router's via Ethernet can reach the 2Wire DHCP service, but devices connected via wireless can't. I actually have 2 routers and I have both have the same behaviour.

Any ideas?

Thanks for your post Joe.

I am doing exactly what you are proposing here. 2Wire LAN ---- Router LAN, so my router can act as a "dumb" switch and access point and everything can be in the same subnet.

I turned off DHCP and the WAN interface in the (Buffalo DD-WRT) router. I also turned off WiFi on the 2Wire.

Everything is now in the same subnet 192.168.1.0/24 and anything that is connected to the router LAN ports gets an IP address from the 2Wire and works well, including 2 U-verse TV boxes.

The issue that I am having has to do with the wireless. All devices can "connect" to my router's WiFi but they do not get IP addresses via DHCP.

I know the router's WiFi is good, because if I change my router's configuration to work as router, turn on DHCP and connect the router to the 2Wire via the WAN port then everything works well. The problem with that is that then the 2Wire and the TV boxes will be in a different subnet from the rest of my devices.

It is weird that devices connected to the router's via Ethernet can reach the 2Wire DHCP service, but devices connected via wireless can't. I actually have 2 routers and I have both have the same behaviour.

Any ideas?

578 of 614 (3,489 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 1, 2014 7:39:51 AM
(0)
Expert
On some routers you may have to specifically tell the router to "bridge" the wireless network to the LAN network. Sonicwall routers sometimes need this, because they treat each interface separately. Yours might be similar.

I noticed you mentioned you're using DD-WRT, so there may definitely be some additional configuration along these lines in that firmware. You want to make sure that the unit is not treating the wireless traffic separately and not trying to do NAT or masquerading. You want a straight bridge of the wireless interface to the LAN interface with no other functions.
On some routers you may have to specifically tell the router to "bridge" the wireless network to the LAN network. Sonicwall routers sometimes need this, because they treat each interface separately. Yours might be similar.

I noticed you mentioned you're using DD-WRT, so there may definitely be some additional configuration along these lines in that firmware. You want to make sure that the unit is not treating the wireless traffic separately and not trying to do NAT or masquerading. You want a straight bridge of the wireless interface to the LAN interface with no other functions.

579 of 614 (3,467 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 19, 2014 7:49:22 PM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by jjkfan on Jul 19, 2014 at 8:22:55 PM

SomeJoe7777:

Thank you so much. I followed the instructions to a T and after some difficulties finally got my new router working. You are a lifesaver.

SomeJoe7777:

Thank you so much. I followed the instructions to a T and after some difficulties finally got my new router working. You are a lifesaver.

[ Edited ]
580 of 614 (3,230 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 25, 2014 7:29:01 AM
(0)
Contributor

Hi SomeJoe7777, hope you can help me on my question.  I have a linksys EA4500 that I would like to use instead of the uverse 2wire due to it’s wireless range and features.  I also have uverse tv.  I have a PC, ps3/4, ipad, iphones, appletv, printer and nas all connecting. 

what method would you recommend I go in order to take advange of connecting to the linksys ?  Idealy, I would like to keep the uverse tv boxes connected to the 2Wire and connect all other stuff to the Linksys due to its features and range..  Thanks!

Hi SomeJoe7777, hope you can help me on my question.  I have a linksys EA4500 that I would like to use instead of the uverse 2wire due to it’s wireless range and features.  I also have uverse tv.  I have a PC, ps3/4, ipad, iphones, appletv, printer and nas all connecting. 

what method would you recommend I go in order to take advange of connecting to the linksys ?  Idealy, I would like to keep the uverse tv boxes connected to the 2Wire and connect all other stuff to the Linksys due to its features and range..  Thanks!

581 of 614 (3,190 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 25, 2014 7:38:08 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

VR3 wrote:

Scroll back to the first reply.  This is how you would configure.

VR3 wrote:

Scroll back to the first reply.  This is how you would configure.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

582 of 614 (3,188 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 8, 2014 3:40:16 PM
(0)
Contributor
OK, total newb here! Just got Uverse phone and internet via the 2wire 3800HGV-B. Great unit, except no parental controls that I can find! So, I thought using my existing Linksys E3000 router behind the RG would do the trick, but after reading through the myriad posts here, I'm a tad confused! You CAN'T use the RG as a straight modem, correct? (messes with the phone, perhaps?) You can't turn off the RG's wireless and DHCP and let your router take care of that?
So, best course of action is to follow previously posted instructions, (I think it was post 13)?
Yep, it's been asked before I'm sure!

OK, total newb here! Just got Uverse phone and internet via the 2wire 3800HGV-B. Great unit, except no parental controls that I can find! So, I thought using my existing Linksys E3000 router behind the RG would do the trick, but after reading through the myriad posts here, I'm a tad confused! You CAN'T use the RG as a straight modem, correct? (messes with the phone, perhaps?) You can't turn off the RG's wireless and DHCP and let your router take care of that?
So, best course of action is to follow previously posted instructions, (I think it was post 13)?
Yep, it's been asked before I'm sure!

583 of 614 (3,084 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 18, 2014 4:07:17 PM
(0)
Voyager

Hello, I have a 5031NV model and a WRT54GS Linksys router and I followed the instructions in post #2. Everything works fine most of the time but sometimes all the computers/devices that uses a wireless connection suddenly fail to connect to the internet. Then the only computer that has internet access is the computer that is directly connected to the router via ethernet port. Whenever this happens, I restart both the router and the 5031NV and after a while everything returns to normal. Does anyone have an idea as to what the problem is?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hello, I have a 5031NV model and a WRT54GS Linksys router and I followed the instructions in post #2. Everything works fine most of the time but sometimes all the computers/devices that uses a wireless connection suddenly fail to connect to the internet. Then the only computer that has internet access is the computer that is directly connected to the router via ethernet port. Whenever this happens, I restart both the router and the 5031NV and after a while everything returns to normal. Does anyone have an idea as to what the problem is?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

584 of 614 (2,856 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 19, 2014 3:29:56 PM
(0)
Community Support

Hi @shyshyshy,

I am sorry for the issues you are having, but I am hoping I can help. With the one device connected via Ethernet port, is it directly connected to the WRT54GS or the 5031NV? If connected to the Linksys router, then it may just be a wireless conflict causing the issues. Try changing the wireless settings on the Linksys router. Make sure you have a unique network name and it may be worth trying to change the wireless channels. Also, make sure you disable the wireless on the 5031NV so it does not conflict with your Linksys.

Hope this helps.

-David T

Need more help?

Download the myAT&T App and click Fix It Now! Support Tools to get U-verse help. For more assistance, send a quick message to ATTU-verseCare. Be sure to include your account number, name, and contact number.

Hi @shyshyshy,

I am sorry for the issues you are having, but I am hoping I can help. With the one device connected via Ethernet port, is it directly connected to the WRT54GS or the 5031NV? If connected to the Linksys router, then it may just be a wireless conflict causing the issues. Try changing the wireless settings on the Linksys router. Make sure you have a unique network name and it may be worth trying to change the wireless channels. Also, make sure you disable the wireless on the 5031NV so it does not conflict with your Linksys.

Hope this helps.

-David T

Need more help?

Download the myAT&T App and click Fix It Now! Support Tools to get U-verse help. For more assistance, send a quick message to ATTU-verseCare. Be sure to include your account number, name, and contact number.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

585 of 614 (2,845 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 21, 2014 6:12:18 PM
(0)
Voyager

Thanks for the response, David.

The device connected via ethernet port is directly connected to a LAN port in my WRT54GS. My network name is unique and the wireless on the 5031NV is disabled. I haven't had a wireless outage since 8/18 so I was planning to try changing some settings once there is an outage. I'll definitely keep the wireless channel setting in mind. Are there any other wireless settings I should be looking out for?

Thanks for the response, David.

The device connected via ethernet port is directly connected to a LAN port in my WRT54GS. My network name is unique and the wireless on the 5031NV is disabled. I haven't had a wireless outage since 8/18 so I was planning to try changing some settings once there is an outage. I'll definitely keep the wireless channel setting in mind. Are there any other wireless settings I should be looking out for?

586 of 614 (2,819 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 22, 2014 9:10:26 AM
(0)
Community Support

Hi,

The only other setting I can think of changing is the network name. If by some chance someone has a similar network name to yours but different settings, like the password, you may run into connection issues. If you do ever run into any issues, always feel free to let us know, and I am positive someone on this community will be able to help figure out the problem and get it fixed Smiley Happy.

-David T

Need more help?

Hi,

The only other setting I can think of changing is the network name. If by some chance someone has a similar network name to yours but different settings, like the password, you may run into connection issues. If you do ever run into any issues, always feel free to let us know, and I am positive someone on this community will be able to help figure out the problem and get it fixed Smiley Happy.

-David T

Need more help?

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

587 of 614 (2,806 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 30, 2014 10:53:28 AM
(0)
Contributor

SomeJoe7777,

I think I may not have my network set up properly. I have internet-only on the Pace 5031NV (wifi disabled). I also have a TP-Link TD-W8980 wireless dual-band ADSL2+ modem router (set to wireless router mode, ADSL router modem disabled), currently on the same subnet (192.168.1.x; couldn't figure out how to do otherwise and still be able to access both interfaces). I also thought it would be better to have the TD-Link be the DHCP server, but that wasn't working right so that is disabled right now. The Pace and TP-Link are physically connected by LAN-to-LAN ports (didn't seem to work right using the TP-Link's LAN/WAN port, but there might be a setting that needs to be changed in it).

These are the devices:

Ethernet and/or wireless: Windows computer usually on ethernet, an old HP network printer, an Android tablet

USB via ethernet and/or wireless: Directv broadband adapter (for on-demand, is connected to the Pace), 2-3 hard drives in a dock and portable drive (connected to the TP-Link)

I want to use the TP-Link because it has 2 USB ports, dual-band wireless and it allows me to access the printer and drives wirelessly if I need to.

The TP-Link was fine by itself as the ADSL modem router before I switched to U-verse, but I don't know enough to set it up properly behind the Pace.

Aside from any network issues and security, there are at least a couple of things that are happening that didn't happen before. 1, on the Android tablet I have to have the SSID broadcast, otherwise it doesn't see it every time I want to use it even though the network is saved. 2, I can't access the "http://aa.usno.navy.mil/" website (times out). A friend on a faster U-verse somewhere else can, and I can if I use a non-ATT device to connect to the internet. I tried entering different DNS servers on my computer, but that didn't work either.

Thanks. I haven't been able to get enough info elsewhere.

SomeJoe7777,

I think I may not have my network set up properly. I have internet-only on the Pace 5031NV (wifi disabled). I also have a TP-Link TD-W8980 wireless dual-band ADSL2+ modem router (set to wireless router mode, ADSL router modem disabled), currently on the same subnet (192.168.1.x; couldn't figure out how to do otherwise and still be able to access both interfaces). I also thought it would be better to have the TD-Link be the DHCP server, but that wasn't working right so that is disabled right now. The Pace and TP-Link are physically connected by LAN-to-LAN ports (didn't seem to work right using the TP-Link's LAN/WAN port, but there might be a setting that needs to be changed in it).

These are the devices:

Ethernet and/or wireless: Windows computer usually on ethernet, an old HP network printer, an Android tablet

USB via ethernet and/or wireless: Directv broadband adapter (for on-demand, is connected to the Pace), 2-3 hard drives in a dock and portable drive (connected to the TP-Link)

I want to use the TP-Link because it has 2 USB ports, dual-band wireless and it allows me to access the printer and drives wirelessly if I need to.

The TP-Link was fine by itself as the ADSL modem router before I switched to U-verse, but I don't know enough to set it up properly behind the Pace.

Aside from any network issues and security, there are at least a couple of things that are happening that didn't happen before. 1, on the Android tablet I have to have the SSID broadcast, otherwise it doesn't see it every time I want to use it even though the network is saved. 2, I can't access the "http://aa.usno.navy.mil/" website (times out). A friend on a faster U-verse somewhere else can, and I can if I use a non-ATT device to connect to the internet. I tried entering different DNS servers on my computer, but that didn't work either.

Thanks. I haven't been able to get enough info elsewhere.

588 of 614 (2,317 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 25, 2015 3:04:35 PM
(0)
Teacher

I'm guessing that the procedure is pretty similar for a Netgear Prosafe FVS318N? 

I had everything in place, so why couldn't the ATT techs leave me alone instead of telling me that 1.) my Netgear router is defective and removing it before they would touch my system, and 2.) why did they swap out my older modem and battery backup for a newer model~~which is supposed to contain the battery, and then neglect to put the battery in and then 3.) try to tell me that I had to contact Motorola to replace the modem, because it was "my problem" that there was no battery (!!) 

If they hadn't done so many Homer Simpson type moves like this since August 18 of 2010, beginning with the $300 plus floor lamp they destroyed during our installation, maybe I would be amused.  But I'm not. 

Never mind the unrelated criminal matters (long story, and I'd rather avoid sounding like a complete nutjob.) 

I'm guessing that the procedure is pretty similar for a Netgear Prosafe FVS318N? 

I had everything in place, so why couldn't the ATT techs leave me alone instead of telling me that 1.) my Netgear router is defective and removing it before they would touch my system, and 2.) why did they swap out my older modem and battery backup for a newer model~~which is supposed to contain the battery, and then neglect to put the battery in and then 3.) try to tell me that I had to contact Motorola to replace the modem, because it was "my problem" that there was no battery (!!) 

If they hadn't done so many Homer Simpson type moves like this since August 18 of 2010, beginning with the $300 plus floor lamp they destroyed during our installation, maybe I would be amused.  But I'm not. 

Never mind the unrelated criminal matters (long story, and I'd rather avoid sounding like a complete nutjob.) 

589 of 614 (2,141 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 4, 2015 1:57:41 PM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by matyf79 on Mar 4, 2015 at 2:07:21 PM

Joe,

I have the 2wire 3800HGU-B and want to use a TP-Link WDR4300 as my wireless access point.

Which of solutions posted would be the best to adopt?

I followed the response on page 1 and it seems to be working, but is it the best way since I am just looking to use the TP as my wireless and turn off the wireless of the 2wire.

Thanks,

Matt

Joe,

I have the 2wire 3800HGU-B and want to use a TP-Link WDR4300 as my wireless access point.

Which of solutions posted would be the best to adopt?

I followed the response on page 1 and it seems to be working, but is it the best way since I am just looking to use the TP as my wireless and turn off the wireless of the 2wire.

Thanks,

Matt

[ Edited ]
590 of 614 (1,847 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 18, 2015 6:33:26 AM
(0)
Teacher

Hi, forgive my lack of Tech Knowledge, but this is new to me and above my pay grade. (lol)

So, if I was to follow the 2nd Post here on page 1. Would this work for my situation as well?

AT&T: 5031NV Modem

Mine: Asus RT-AC68U Wireless AC1900 Dual Band Gigabit Router

Plans:

1. I would like to be able to network all my home computers (share files, ect).

2. Only use the Asus's Wifi (2.4 & 5 GHz) and disable AT&T's-Which I already have done.

3. I would like to utlize all of the WAN ports on both devices (I'm assuming this is a Bridge?)

4. Access my Home network if possible, from outside my home, or just a HDD that is attached to my ASUS Router only, via USB connection to it.

Thanks for your help in advance! 

Hi, forgive my lack of Tech Knowledge, but this is new to me and above my pay grade. (lol)

So, if I was to follow the 2nd Post here on page 1. Would this work for my situation as well?

AT&T: 5031NV Modem

Mine: Asus RT-AC68U Wireless AC1900 Dual Band Gigabit Router

Plans:

1. I would like to be able to network all my home computers (share files, ect).

2. Only use the Asus's Wifi (2.4 & 5 GHz) and disable AT&T's-Which I already have done.

3. I would like to utlize all of the WAN ports on both devices (I'm assuming this is a Bridge?)

4. Access my Home network if possible, from outside my home, or just a HDD that is attached to my ASUS Router only, via USB connection to it.

Thanks for your help in advance! 

591 of 614 (1,679 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 20, 2015 4:29:59 PM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by soulweeper on Apr 20, 2015 at 4:35:07 PM

I would greatly appreciate it if anyone can clairify the configuration instructions I found, that will enable me to use my own router with the NVG510. Configuring the NVG510 is very clear, that isn't what I'm concerned about. Here are the instructions 

https://forums.att.com/t5/Third-Party-Devices/NVG510-not-bridgeable-no-2210-offered-anymore/m-p/3470...

I've attached two screenshots of the pages I'm assuming I will need, in the netgear router. I'm assuming I want to check "use static IP address", correct? And then enter the IP address, subnet IP address and gateway IP address, correct? Also, on the LAN setup page, I can only change the last part of the starting and ending IP address, but they suggest: 1. Make sure the home router allocates DHCP addresses on the LAN on a different range than 192.168.1.xxx. For example, 192.168.2.xxx will work I can only change the xxx part.....as you can see. Uncheck that box, and it's all grayed out, can't change anything. I'm usually pretty good with stuff like this, but I'm not getting something really simple here, or over thinking it, but the bottom line is, I don't completely understand, and would very much appreciate someone "translating" the part about configuring the router. Thanks very much, in advance!

I would greatly appreciate it if anyone can clairify the configuration instructions I found, that will enable me to use my own router with the NVG510. Configuring the NVG510 is very clear, that isn't what I'm concerned about. Here are the instructions 

https://forums.att.com/t5/Third-Party-Devices/NVG510-not-bridgeable-no-2210-offered-anymore/m-p/3470303#M3994

I've attached two screenshots of the pages I'm assuming I will need, in the netgear router. I'm assuming I want to check "use static IP address", correct? And then enter the IP address, subnet IP address and gateway IP address, correct? Also, on the LAN setup page, I can only change the last part of the starting and ending IP address, but they suggest: 1. Make sure the home router allocates DHCP addresses on the LAN on a different range than 192.168.1.xxx. For example, 192.168.2.xxx will work I can only change the xxx part.....as you can see. Uncheck that box, and it's all grayed out, can't change anything. I'm usually pretty good with stuff like this, but I'm not getting something really simple here, or over thinking it, but the bottom line is, I don't completely understand, and would very much appreciate someone "translating" the part about configuring the router. Thanks very much, in advance!

[ Edited ]
592 of 614 (1,660 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 15, 2015 3:34:50 PM
(0)
Contributor

I am trying to set up a guest network on a 3801 HGV ATT Uverse unit. I added another router to the network and have set it have an IP address outside of the public network. What is the next step to achieving the guest network goal?

I am trying to set up a guest network on a 3801 HGV ATT Uverse unit. I added another router to the network and have set it have an IP address outside of the public network. What is the next step to achieving the guest network goal?

DMZPlus

593 of 614 (1,443 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 15, 2015 11:00:24 PM
(0)
Employee

Re: DMZPlus

594 of 614 (1,422 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 11, 2016 6:46:09 PM
(0)
Explorer

Hi, I need a bit of help please...  I have a UV 3801HGV Gateway (for Internet only, no VoIP or TV). Since it only has Wireless G, I have a Linksys WRT1200AC Router connected to it exactly as described on Post 13 of this thread and for the most part it works ok. The wireless is disabled on the Gateway and the DHCP is disabled on the Router. They are connected LAN to LAN. However the wireless connection speed drops down to only 1-2 Mbps after a couple of days (this happens on all connected devices) and the only way to remedy this is to reboot the Gateway and the Router. I have been rebooting both devices every day in order to maintain decent speeds.

I have played around with the settings on both and have discovered that if I change the DHCP Lease Time on the Gateway to 720 hours (30 days) vs. the default 24 hrs the connection stays fast for about 15 days and then I have to reboot again. Can someone explain what is happening? Is there a way to maintain connection speeds without rebooting regularly? The longest lease time allowed would be 999 hours so I would have to reboot about the same.

A bit more details. The house has Ethernet throughout and in another part of the house I have an older Linksys WRT160N and I do not lose speeds there, only with the WRT1200AC. The 1200AC is set up and wired the same as the 160N (the 5GHZ band is off on the 1200) however on the 160N I can turn off both NAT and Dynamic Routing, on the 1200AC I can turn off NAT but then DR is enabled automatically. Does this make any difference? I did not think so because the DHCP is being handled by the Gateway - but I am looking at posibilities for the annoying speed drops. Any suggestions  and help would be much appreciated...  :-)

Hi, I need a bit of help please...  I have a UV 3801HGV Gateway (for Internet only, no VoIP or TV). Since it only has Wireless G, I have a Linksys WRT1200AC Router connected to it exactly as described on Post 13 of this thread and for the most part it works ok. The wireless is disabled on the Gateway and the DHCP is disabled on the Router. They are connected LAN to LAN. However the wireless connection speed drops down to only 1-2 Mbps after a couple of days (this happens on all connected devices) and the only way to remedy this is to reboot the Gateway and the Router. I have been rebooting both devices every day in order to maintain decent speeds.

I have played around with the settings on both and have discovered that if I change the DHCP Lease Time on the Gateway to 720 hours (30 days) vs. the default 24 hrs the connection stays fast for about 15 days and then I have to reboot again. Can someone explain what is happening? Is there a way to maintain connection speeds without rebooting regularly? The longest lease time allowed would be 999 hours so I would have to reboot about the same.

A bit more details. The house has Ethernet throughout and in another part of the house I have an older Linksys WRT160N and I do not lose speeds there, only with the WRT1200AC. The 1200AC is set up and wired the same as the 160N (the 5GHZ band is off on the 1200) however on the 160N I can turn off both NAT and Dynamic Routing, on the 1200AC I can turn off NAT but then DR is enabled automatically. Does this make any difference? I did not think so because the DHCP is being handled by the Gateway - but I am looking at posibilities for the annoying speed drops. Any suggestions  and help would be much appreciated...  :-)

595 of 614 (516 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 12, 2016 7:50:29 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

If you've connected your router LAN to the Gateway LAN, then having NAT on or off should make no difference.  What effect Dynamic Routing may have on the way the router operates, I do not know, since in the LAN to LAN configuration, it shouldn't be doing any routing at all.

If you've connected your router LAN to the Gateway LAN, then having NAT on or off should make no difference.  What effect Dynamic Routing may have on the way the router operates, I do not know, since in the LAN to LAN configuration, it shouldn't be doing any routing at all.

596 of 614 (492 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 12, 2016 7:59:44 AM
(0)
Explorer

JefferMC wrote:

Thanks, JefferMC. I am connected LAN to LAN. Any ideas why I need to regularly reboot the devices? Any possible solutions appreciated.

JefferMC wrote:

Thanks, JefferMC. I am connected LAN to LAN. Any ideas why I need to regularly reboot the devices? Any possible solutions appreciated.

597 of 614 (490 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 12, 2016 2:38:39 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

No, but your diagnosis with the DHCP renewal period seems spot on.  Obviously the initial request is making it from the device to the Gateway and the response is getting back.  Some varieties of the Gateway firmware have had an issue where the response to a renewal request has a strange source IP address which can cause it to get dropped by a router.  A router configured as a switch/access point should not be looking in the DHCP packet and should carry it to the end device if it were painted green.

I don't know how to continue to troubleshoot this with out using Wireshark (and a very short DHCP renewal period).

No, but your diagnosis with the DHCP renewal period seems spot on.  Obviously the initial request is making it from the device to the Gateway and the response is getting back.  Some varieties of the Gateway firmware have had an issue where the response to a renewal request has a strange source IP address which can cause it to get dropped by a router.  A router configured as a switch/access point should not be looking in the DHCP packet and should carry it to the end device if it were painted green.

I don't know how to continue to troubleshoot this with out using Wireshark (and a very short DHCP renewal period).

598 of 614 (472 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 12, 2016 5:51:39 PM
(0)
Explorer

JefferMC wrote:

Thanks for you reply. Let me recap my issue:

1) The 3801HGV is running 6.11.1.29-enh.tm Software. It is configured as it came from AT&T with two exceptions. I have turned the wireless radio off and I have changed the DHCP lease time to 720 hrs (30 days).

2) I have two Linksys routers connected LAN to LAN to the GV. One is a WRT1200AC, the one with the decaying speed issue requiring regular rebooting. The other is an older WRT160n which works flaulessly and never requires a reboot. They are both configured as close as I can set them. DHCP is turned off on both. The 1200AC is on IP 192.168.1.10. The 160n is on 192.168.1.11. IPv6 is turned off on the 1200AC (there is no IPv6 on the 160n, much older). Channels or widths do not appear to make any difference but one is on 11 and the other is on 1 (2.4 band), both on N only.

3) The 160n always works with no rebooting required. The 1200AC slows down from 15 Mbps to 1-2 Mbps requiring rebooting to reset. With the DHCP lease set to 30 days, it needs rebooting after 12-15 days, not too bad. With the lease set as default, 24hr, it requires rebooting every day or two. It may require it faster but that is when I notice the slow speeds, maybe it has had slow speeds for awhile and I did not notice it.

I can download Wireshark but I would not have any idea how to use it. I am not a computer newbie but as far as analyzing network traffic I defininitively am. For testing purposes I can set the lease time as short as the GV allows but what do I do next?

I need two APs to reach the far ends of this house. The 1200 serves most of the house and it is the primary. I can buy another 160 (a used one, but hate to do this).

Some questions, please:

Why is the 1200 having issues and the 160 not?

Since you mentioned that some versions of the GV Software create problems, can I change the Software on the GV to a different version? I have reflashed the FW on the 1200 to no avail and know how to do this but do not know how to do it on the GV. Seems like AT&T does it automatically. Is that correct?

One solution but a poor one. Put the 1200AC on a timer such that it reboots at 2am every night, powers off for 2 minutes and then back on. Don't know what else to do other than buying another router and this may not help.

Any help much appreciated...  :-)

JefferMC wrote:

Thanks for you reply. Let me recap my issue:

1) The 3801HGV is running 6.11.1.29-enh.tm Software. It is configured as it came from AT&T with two exceptions. I have turned the wireless radio off and I have changed the DHCP lease time to 720 hrs (30 days).

2) I have two Linksys routers connected LAN to LAN to the GV. One is a WRT1200AC, the one with the decaying speed issue requiring regular rebooting. The other is an older WRT160n which works flaulessly and never requires a reboot. They are both configured as close as I can set them. DHCP is turned off on both. The 1200AC is on IP 192.168.1.10. The 160n is on 192.168.1.11. IPv6 is turned off on the 1200AC (there is no IPv6 on the 160n, much older). Channels or widths do not appear to make any difference but one is on 11 and the other is on 1 (2.4 band), both on N only.

3) The 160n always works with no rebooting required. The 1200AC slows down from 15 Mbps to 1-2 Mbps requiring rebooting to reset. With the DHCP lease set to 30 days, it needs rebooting after 12-15 days, not too bad. With the lease set as default, 24hr, it requires rebooting every day or two. It may require it faster but that is when I notice the slow speeds, maybe it has had slow speeds for awhile and I did not notice it.

I can download Wireshark but I would not have any idea how to use it. I am not a computer newbie but as far as analyzing network traffic I defininitively am. For testing purposes I can set the lease time as short as the GV allows but what do I do next?

I need two APs to reach the far ends of this house. The 1200 serves most of the house and it is the primary. I can buy another 160 (a used one, but hate to do this).

Some questions, please:

Why is the 1200 having issues and the 160 not?

Since you mentioned that some versions of the GV Software create problems, can I change the Software on the GV to a different version? I have reflashed the FW on the 1200 to no avail and know how to do this but do not know how to do it on the GV. Seems like AT&T does it automatically. Is that correct?

One solution but a poor one. Put the 1200AC on a timer such that it reboots at 2am every night, powers off for 2 minutes and then back on. Don't know what else to do other than buying another router and this may not help.

Any help much appreciated...  :-)

599 of 614 (456 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 12, 2016 10:07:47 PM
(0)
Explorer

JefferMC, I have another thought. Instead of having my WRT1200AC set up as an Access Point behing the Gateway I could set it up as a Router behind the Gateway by following the steps outlined in Post #2. Could this resolve the rebooting issue? In this mode it seems like the Gateway will not be handling the DHCP any longer, the WRT will handle the DHCP instead. Will this resolve the issue? It would take some effort to reconfigure both devices so your thoughts appreciated.

JefferMC, I have another thought. Instead of having my WRT1200AC set up as an Access Point behing the Gateway I could set it up as a Router behind the Gateway by following the steps outlined in Post #2. Could this resolve the rebooting issue? In this mode it seems like the Gateway will not be handling the DHCP any longer, the WRT will handle the DHCP instead. Will this resolve the issue? It would take some effort to reconfigure both devices so your thoughts appreciated.

600 of 614 (436 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments