Treo600user's profile

Teacher

• 

3 Messages

Wednesday, March 16th, 2011 3:18 PM

U-verse for BUSINESS? : 2Wire 3600HGV bridge mode? or another AT&T supported VDSL modem?

I am having trouble properly configuring this AT&T 2Wire 3600HGV modem for my network. Maybe someone is aware of a different firmware for this product?

I am completely aware of how to setup the DMZ mode & router behind router setup in these boxes but that is NOT the point. (We have supported firewalled networked equipment working that has all the bells & whistles including QoS)

In the event of a factory reset of the AT&T 2Wire VDSL modem at this business, I want to properly insure the following business requirements are met:

- DHCP - OFF (at min, it appears you must leave one available?)

- WiFi - OFF (Yes this can be turned off, but bridging it always insured it was turned off in the past. ON is a security concern among just bad business i.e. conflict with other business WiFi, employees might see/use this non-content filtered WiFi, etc etc)

- & passing off internet service needs to be easy to another networked supported OUTSIDE of AT&T firewall. (I'm NOT asking for AT&T support on this, but in the bridge DSL world, this was EASY)

- if bridging this 2Wire is NOT an option, backing up the configuration settings would be a nice alternative but that is not available as well?

Bridging the old DSL modems always worked nicely but the 2Wire 3XXXHGV line appears to be the ONLY ones to support the AT&T VDSL Max Turbo speeds. 24Mbps down / 3 Mbps up which we use not only for normal business operations (credit cards, business email, web based training, etc) but this high speed is required to view onsite security video (3Mbps up) and offer customers FAST free WiFi!

AT&T U-Verse offers the right price, contract, speed, internet package & installers to properly handle our resturant locations company's data needs but I'm struggling with the their "business" support of this 2Wire VDSL modem product. We ONLY use the internet, no TV (not legally available for restaurants, yet). No Voip because POTS is our reliable backup. So it's just the internet service ...

For coverage on AT&T Uverse, we have over 50 locations lit up like a Christmas tree but sadly business support on this product is driving me nutz! Maybe because I now see this is listed under "Residential Gateway"? Is this AT&T 2Wire VDSL modem product not meant for business? Is anyone aware of another supported AT&T VDSL modem or a different 2Wire firmware available? Official AT&T support has me running in circles (AT&T U-verse support > AT&T Connecttech > AT&T Connecttech360 > AT&T U-verse support, rinse, repeat)  

help?

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

OK, total newb here! Just got Uverse phone and internet via the 2wire 3800HGV-B. Great unit, except no parental controls that I can find! So, I thought using my existing Linksys E3000 router behind the RG would do the trick, but after reading through the myriad posts here, I'm a tad confused! You CAN'T use the RG as a straight modem, correct? (messes with the phone, perhaps?) You can't turn off the RG's wireless and DHCP and let your router take care of that?
So, best course of action is to follow previously posted instructions, (I think it was post 13)?
Yep, it's been asked before I'm sure!

Voyager

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

Hello, I have a 5031NV model and a WRT54GS Linksys router and I followed the instructions in post #2. Everything works fine most of the time but sometimes all the computers/devices that uses a wireless connection suddenly fail to connect to the internet. Then the only computer that has internet access is the computer that is directly connected to the router via ethernet port. Whenever this happens, I restart both the router and the 5031NV and after a while everything returns to normal. Does anyone have an idea as to what the problem is?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Community Support

• 

6.7K Messages

10 years ago

Hi @shyshyshy,

I am sorry for the issues you are having, but I am hoping I can help. With the one device connected via Ethernet port, is it directly connected to the WRT54GS or the 5031NV? If connected to the Linksys router, then it may just be a wireless conflict causing the issues. Try changing the wireless settings on the Linksys router. Make sure you have a unique network name and it may be worth trying to change the wireless channels. Also, make sure you disable the wireless on the 5031NV so it does not conflict with your Linksys.

Hope this helps.

-David T

Voyager

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

Thanks for the response, David.

The device connected via ethernet port is directly connected to a LAN port in my WRT54GS. My network name is unique and the wireless on the 5031NV is disabled. I haven't had a wireless outage since 8/18 so I was planning to try changing some settings once there is an outage. I'll definitely keep the wireless channel setting in mind. Are there any other wireless settings I should be looking out for?

Community Support

• 

6.7K Messages

10 years ago

Hi,

The only other setting I can think of changing is the network name. If by some chance someone has a similar network name to yours but different settings, like the password, you may run into connection issues. If you do ever run into any issues, always feel free to let us know, and I am positive someone on this community will be able to help figure out the problem and get it fixed Smiley Happy.

-David T

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

9 years ago

SomeJoe7777,

I think I may not have my network set up properly. I have internet-only on the Pace 5031NV (wifi disabled). I also have a TP-Link TD-W8980 wireless dual-band ADSL2+ modem router (set to wireless router mode, ADSL router modem disabled), currently on the same subnet (192.168.1.x; couldn't figure out how to do otherwise and still be able to access both interfaces). I also thought it would be better to have the TD-Link be the DHCP server, but that wasn't working right so that is disabled right now. The Pace and TP-Link are physically connected by LAN-to-LAN ports (didn't seem to work right using the TP-Link's LAN/WAN port, but there might be a setting that needs to be changed in it).

These are the devices:

Ethernet and/or wireless: Windows computer usually on ethernet, an old HP network printer, an Android tablet

USB via ethernet and/or wireless: Directv broadband adapter (for on-demand, is connected to the Pace), 2-3 hard drives in a dock and portable drive (connected to the TP-Link)

I want to use the TP-Link because it has 2 USB ports, dual-band wireless and it allows me to access the printer and drives wirelessly if I need to.

The TP-Link was fine by itself as the ADSL modem router before I switched to U-verse, but I don't know enough to set it up properly behind the Pace.

Aside from any network issues and security, there are at least a couple of things that are happening that didn't happen before. 1, on the Android tablet I have to have the SSID broadcast, otherwise it doesn't see it every time I want to use it even though the network is saved. 2, I can't access the "http://aa.usno.navy.mil/" website (times out). A friend on a faster U-verse somewhere else can, and I can if I use a non-ATT device to connect to the internet. I tried entering different DNS servers on my computer, but that didn't work either.

Thanks. I haven't been able to get enough info elsewhere.

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

9 years ago

I'm guessing that the procedure is pretty similar for a Netgear Prosafe FVS318N? 

I had everything in place, so why couldn't the ATT techs leave me alone instead of telling me that 1.) my Netgear router is defective and removing it before they would touch my system, and 2.) why did they swap out my older modem and battery backup for a newer model~~which is supposed to contain the battery, and then neglect to put the battery in and then 3.) try to tell me that I had to contact Motorola to replace the modem, because it was "my problem" that there was no battery (!!) 

If they hadn't done so many Homer Simpson type moves like this since August 18 of 2010, beginning with the $300 plus floor lamp they destroyed during our installation, maybe I would be amused.  But I'm not. 

Never mind the unrelated criminal matters (long story, and I'd rather avoid sounding like a complete nutjob.) 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

Joe,

I have the 2wire 3800HGU-B and want to use a TP-Link WDR4300 as my wireless access point.

Which of solutions posted would be the best to adopt?

I followed the response on page 1 and it seems to be working, but is it the best way since I am just looking to use the TP as my wireless and turn off the wireless of the 2wire.

Thanks,

Matt

Teacher

• 

40 Messages

9 years ago

Hi, forgive my lack of Tech Knowledge, but this is new to me and above my pay grade. (lol)

So, if I was to follow the 2nd Post here on page 1. Would this work for my situation as well?

AT&T: 5031NV Modem

Mine: Asus RT-AC68U Wireless AC1900 Dual Band Gigabit Router

Plans:

1. I would like to be able to network all my home computers (share files, ect).

2. Only use the Asus's Wifi (2.4 & 5 GHz) and disable AT&T's-Which I already have done.

3. I would like to utlize all of the WAN ports on both devices (I'm assuming this is a Bridge?)

4. Access my Home network if possible, from outside my home, or just a HDD that is attached to my ASUS Router only, via USB connection to it.

Thanks for your help in advance! 

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

9 years ago

netgear.jpgI would greatly appreciate it if anyone can clairify the configuration instructions I found, that will enable me to use my own router with the NVG510. Configuring the NVG510 is very clear, that isn't what I'm concerned about. Here are the instructions 

https://forums.att.com/t5/Third-Party-Devices/NVG510-not-bridgeable-no-2210-offered-anymore/m-p/3470303#M3994

I've attached two screenshots of the pages I'm assuming I will need, in the netgear router. I'm assuming I want to check "use static IP address", correct? And then enter the IP address, subnet IP address and gateway IP address, correct? Also, on the LAN setup page, I can only change the last part of the starting and ending IP address, but they suggest: 1. Make sure the home router allocates DHCP addresses on the LAN on a different range than 192.168.1.xxx. For example, 192.168.2.xxx will work I can only change the xxx part.....as you can see. Uncheck that box, and it's all grayed out, can't change anything. I'm usually pretty good with stuff like this, but I'm not getting something really simple here, or over thinking it, but the bottom line is, I don't completely understand, and would very much appreciate someone "translating" the part about configuring the router. Thanks very much, in advance!netgear.jpg

2 Attachments

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.