Posted Mar 16, 2011
8:18:23 AM
U-verse for BUSINESS? : 2Wire 3600HGV bridge mode? or another AT&T supported VDSL modem?

I am having trouble properly configuring this AT&T 2Wire 3600HGV modem for my network. Maybe someone is aware of a different firmware for this product?

I am completely aware of how to setup the DMZ mode & router behind router setup in these boxes but that is NOT the point. (We have supported firewalled networked equipment working that has all the bells & whistles including QoS)

In the event of a factory reset of the AT&T 2Wire VDSL modem at this business, I want to properly insure the following business requirements are met:

- DHCP - OFF (at min, it appears you must leave one available?)

- WiFi - OFF (Yes this can be turned off, but bridging it always insured it was turned off in the past. ON is a security concern among just bad business i.e. conflict with other business WiFi, employees might see/use this non-content filtered WiFi, etc etc)

- & passing off internet service needs to be easy to another networked supported OUTSIDE of AT&T firewall. (I'm NOT asking for AT&T support on this, but in the bridge DSL world, this was EASY)

- if bridging this 2Wire is NOT an option, backing up the configuration settings would be a nice alternative but that is not available as well?

Bridging the old DSL modems always worked nicely but the 2Wire 3XXXHGV line appears to be the ONLY ones to support the AT&T VDSL Max Turbo speeds. 24Mbps down / 3 Mbps up which we use not only for normal business operations (credit cards, business email, web based training, etc) but this high speed is required to view onsite security video (3Mbps up) and offer customers FAST free WiFi!

AT&T U-Verse offers the right price, contract, speed, internet package & installers to properly handle our resturant locations company's data needs but I'm struggling with the their "business" support of this 2Wire VDSL modem product. We ONLY use the internet, no TV (not legally available for restaurants, yet). No Voip because POTS is our reliable backup. So it's just the internet service ...

For coverage on AT&T Uverse, we have over 50 locations lit up like a Christmas tree but sadly business support on this product is driving me nutz! Maybe because I now see this is listed under "Residential Gateway"? Is this AT&T 2Wire VDSL modem product not meant for business? Is anyone aware of another supported AT&T VDSL modem or a different 2Wire firmware available? Official AT&T support has me running in circles (AT&T U-verse support > AT&T Connecttech > AT&T Connecttech360 > AT&T U-verse support, rinse, repeat)  

help?

(1)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Mar 16, 2011 6:52:30 PM
(1)
Expert

There is no true bridge mode on the 2Wire routers.  However, you can still configure it such that almost all functions of your own router will work properly.

1. Set your router's WAN interface to get an IP address via DHCP.  This is required at first so that the 2Wire recognizes your router.

2. Plug your router's WAN interface to one of the 2Wire's LAN interfaces.

3. Restart your router, let it get an IP address via DHCP.

4. Log into the 2Wire router's interface.  Go to Settings -> Firewall -> Applications, Pinholes, and DMZ

5. Select your router under section (1).

6. Click the DMZPlus button under section (2).

7. Click the Save button.

8. Restart your router, when it gets an address via DHCP again, it will be the public outside IP address.  At this point, you can leave your router in DHCP mode (make sure the firewall on your router allows the DHCP renewal packets, which will occur every 10 minutes), or you can change your router's IP address assignment on the WAN interface to static, and use the same settings it received via DHCP.

9. On the 2Wire router, go to Settings -> Firewall -> Advanced Configuration

10. Uncheck the following: Stealth Mode, Block Ping, Strict UDP Session Control.

11. Check everything under Outbound Protocol Control except NetBIOS.

12. Uncheck NetBIOS under Inbound Protocol Control.

13. Uncheck all the Attack Detection checkboxes (7 of them).

14. Click Save.

Your router should now be able to route as if the 2Wire was a straight bridge, for the most part.

Inbound port 22 might be blocked, and inbound ports 8000-8015 might also be blocked, and there's nothing that can be done about it.

This is how I have my 2Wire configured, and I have a Cisco 2811 behind it doing IPSec, IPv6 tunnels, etc.

591 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
View all replies
(591)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 7, 2014 2:20:31 PM
(0)
Contributor

when I'm selecting the dmzplus it gives me a error that a PC is already configured dmz remove this PC config and reboot it first

help?

when I'm selecting the dmzplus it gives me a error that a PC is already configured dmz remove this PC config and reboot it first

help?

Re: U-verse for BUSINESS? : 2Wire 3600HGV bridge mode? or another AT&T supported VDSL modem?

541 of 592 (2,330 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 8, 2014 2:57:14 PM
(0)
Contributor

Hello Joe or anyone else with knowledge on the subject,

I need your knowledge. I am considering purchasing a Netgear Nighthawk AC1900. The reason why is I am looking to improve my latency. Right now I have my Xbox One hooked up wired to my uverse gateway. My latency is 78ms. I would like to get that down. The Nighthawk is supposed to be good as far as latency, among a whole lot of other stuff. My question is is there a way to have the Nighthawk as the device doing all the internet stuff. Can the uverse gateway be taken out of the equation or be made to be just a passthrough? And if it is made as a passthrough, would the latency be improved if the Nighthawk is indeed capable of lowering it?

P.S. I know this isn't the exact topic for this, but it looked close enough, especially if I have to use the instructions from the 2nd post.

Thanks in advance for for any information provided,

P1553D

Hello Joe or anyone else with knowledge on the subject,

I need your knowledge. I am considering purchasing a Netgear Nighthawk AC1900. The reason why is I am looking to improve my latency. Right now I have my Xbox One hooked up wired to my uverse gateway. My latency is 78ms. I would like to get that down. The Nighthawk is supposed to be good as far as latency, among a whole lot of other stuff. My question is is there a way to have the Nighthawk as the device doing all the internet stuff. Can the uverse gateway be taken out of the equation or be made to be just a passthrough? And if it is made as a passthrough, would the latency be improved if the Nighthawk is indeed capable of lowering it?

P.S. I know this isn't the exact topic for this, but it looked close enough, especially if I have to use the instructions from the 2nd post.

Thanks in advance for for any information provided,

P1553D

Re: U-verse for BUSINESS? : 2Wire 3600HGV bridge mode? or another AT&T supported VDSL modem?

542 of 592 (2,127 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 9, 2014 5:50:21 PM
(0)
Expert
P1553d,

You can hook up another router using the instructions in post 2, but it's not likely to reduce your latency very much. The U-Verse gateway cannot be removed from the system, and even in passthrough/DMZPlus mode, the latency doesn't change much.

Truckman410,

You probably have another device configured as DMZPlus already. That one will have to have DMZPlus turned off before you can turn it on for a different computer.
P1553d,

You can hook up another router using the instructions in post 2, but it's not likely to reduce your latency very much. The U-Verse gateway cannot be removed from the system, and even in passthrough/DMZPlus mode, the latency doesn't change much.

Truckman410,

You probably have another device configured as DMZPlus already. That one will have to have DMZPlus turned off before you can turn it on for a different computer.

543 of 592 (2,103 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 10, 2014 10:29:50 AM
(0)
Contributor
Thank you.
Thank you.

544 of 592 (2,092 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 21, 2014 6:30:09 PM
(0)
Tutor

Hi, I recently bought a Netgear WNDR4500 I want to connect to my RG. I have two goals in doing this.

1. I want the speed and range of a wireless n network.

2. I want to connect an External HDD to the USB port on the WNDR4500 and use it as a DLNA NAS to stream music and videos to devices on my network.

I currently have an X-Box 360, a Sony Blu-ray player, a Pioneer receiver, and a vulcano place shifter with outgoing ports opened on my RG, as well as multiple phones, tablets, and laptops connected wirelessly to my RG. I have two Win7Pro desktops and a network printer hard wired. My main question is should I use a bridge or router behind a router (post 2 or 13) setup to accomplish these goals? Any other advice or considerations of which I should be aware? Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

Hi, I recently bought a Netgear WNDR4500 I want to connect to my RG. I have two goals in doing this.

1. I want the speed and range of a wireless n network.

2. I want to connect an External HDD to the USB port on the WNDR4500 and use it as a DLNA NAS to stream music and videos to devices on my network.

I currently have an X-Box 360, a Sony Blu-ray player, a Pioneer receiver, and a vulcano place shifter with outgoing ports opened on my RG, as well as multiple phones, tablets, and laptops connected wirelessly to my RG. I have two Win7Pro desktops and a network printer hard wired. My main question is should I use a bridge or router behind a router (post 2 or 13) setup to accomplish these goals? Any other advice or considerations of which I should be aware? Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

545 of 592 (2,003 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 21, 2014 7:02:03 PM
(0)
Tutor

I forgot to say both the RG and the WNDR4500 will be located near one another so there is no need to use the wired ports on the RG. I could move them to the WNDR4500.

I forgot to say both the RG and the WNDR4500 will be located near one another so there is no need to use the wired ports on the RG. I could move them to the WNDR4500.

546 of 592 (2,000 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 21, 2014 7:48:34 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

I would say you can accomplish those goals most easily (least disruption) with the Access Point method.

I would usually recommend the Access Point method unless there's something that only having your own router gives you that you're looking for (e.g. UPnP, access control, QoS).

You probably already know this, but Access Point configuration is described in post 13 in this thread

I would say you can accomplish those goals most easily (least disruption) with the Access Point method.

I would usually recommend the Access Point method unless there's something that only having your own router gives you that you're looking for (e.g. UPnP, access control, QoS).

You probably already know this, but Access Point configuration is described in post 13 in this thread

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

547 of 592 (1,995 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 22, 2014 8:28:05 PM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by Greg86 on Jan 22, 2014 at 9:57:32 PM

Thanks JefferMC.

My original reasons for getting the WNDR4500 were to:

1.  Have Gigibytre Ethernet and wireless n.

2.  Use Easy Share and the USB port to connect a WD MyBook to my network to use as a media server NAS.

An access point solution would work for these goals, but as I have done more research I now think the Advance QoS of the WNDR4500 would be good for the X-Box 360 and Streaming video from Netflix and Amazon Prime to my Blu-ray player and X-Box. I would also like to use the Guest server on the WNDR4500 since my kids' friens generally all want to log on to my network when they visit. With the goals in mind I will try the Router-behind-a-router solution.

I have also read negative reviews on Netgears management and throughput using the USB port.  I think the extra $50 to buy the My Cloud will be well worth the investment.

My two main concerns are:

1. DHCP issues between the RG and My router.

2. Configuring the Vulkano for outgoing video streams.

From most of the posts I think these will be manageable. If I hit a wall I can always setup the simple swich / access point.

Thanks JefferMC.

My original reasons for getting the WNDR4500 were to:

1.  Have Gigibytre Ethernet and wireless n.

2.  Use Easy Share and the USB port to connect a WD MyBook to my network to use as a media server NAS.

An access point solution would work for these goals, but as I have done more research I now think the Advance QoS of the WNDR4500 would be good for the X-Box 360 and Streaming video from Netflix and Amazon Prime to my Blu-ray player and X-Box. I would also like to use the Guest server on the WNDR4500 since my kids' friens generally all want to log on to my network when they visit. With the goals in mind I will try the Router-behind-a-router solution.

I have also read negative reviews on Netgears management and throughput using the USB port.  I think the extra $50 to buy the My Cloud will be well worth the investment.

My two main concerns are:

1. DHCP issues between the RG and My router.

2. Configuring the Vulkano for outgoing video streams.

From most of the posts I think these will be manageable. If I hit a wall I can always setup the simple swich / access point.

[ Edited ]
548 of 592 (1,973 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 23, 2014 6:06:31 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Yes, there could be an issue with your router requesting the WAN address via DHCP from the RG.  However, most RG's allow you to either (1) create a sticky-DHCP assignment for an address and then you can statically assign the WAN address on the router., or (2) assign a static IP on the WAN address for the router from the static address pool of the RG... but I think there's an issue with assigning DMZplus mode if you do that.

Keep the LAN IPs on your router on a different subnet from the RG's LAN.  192.168.2.x works for most people.

Yes, there could be an issue with your router requesting the WAN address via DHCP from the RG.  However, most RG's allow you to either (1) create a sticky-DHCP assignment for an address and then you can statically assign the WAN address on the router., or (2) assign a static IP on the WAN address for the router from the static address pool of the RG... but I think there's an issue with assigning DMZplus mode if you do that.

Keep the LAN IPs on your router on a different subnet from the RG's LAN.  192.168.2.x works for most people.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

549 of 592 (1,959 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 23, 2014 10:08:49 AM
(0)
Tutor

Thanks JefferMC,

I guess I am to the point now where I need to take the router out of the box and start configuring. I'll post when I have results.

Thanks JefferMC,

I guess I am to the point now where I need to take the router out of the box and start configuring. I'll post when I have results.

550 of 592 (1,951 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 24, 2014 7:47:51 PM
(0)
Tutor

Installed the WNDR4500 behind the 3800HGV-B today. Followed post 2 and everything went smoothly. My only hang up was setting the WAN Address on the WNDR4500 to static IP in step 8. I had to go to Internet Setup, turn off DHCP, and manually set IP Address, IP Subnet, Domain, Primary DNS Server, and Secondary DNS Server. The Default IP address was 192.168.1 but when I connected it the the RG the Netgear changed itself to 10.0.0.1 to avoid a conflict. 

Vulkano set up easily using UPnP.

QoS is Enabled.

Parental controls are set.

Guest Network setup.

All things not provided by 2Wire.

JefferMC thanks for monitoring such an old thread. Your advice was greatly appreciated. This thread has a lot of great information, but for a novice like me it can sometimes raise more questions than it answers.

Thanks Again.

Installed the WNDR4500 behind the 3800HGV-B today. Followed post 2 and everything went smoothly. My only hang up was setting the WAN Address on the WNDR4500 to static IP in step 8. I had to go to Internet Setup, turn off DHCP, and manually set IP Address, IP Subnet, Domain, Primary DNS Server, and Secondary DNS Server. The Default IP address was 192.168.1 but when I connected it the the RG the Netgear changed itself to 10.0.0.1 to avoid a conflict. 

Vulkano set up easily using UPnP.

QoS is Enabled.

Parental controls are set.

Guest Network setup.

All things not provided by 2Wire.

JefferMC thanks for monitoring such an old thread. Your advice was greatly appreciated. This thread has a lot of great information, but for a novice like me it can sometimes raise more questions than it answers.

Thanks Again.

551 of 592 (1,930 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 24, 2014 7:49:23 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Greg86 wrote:

Thanks Again.

I'm glad you got it working!  Don't be a stranger.  :smileyhappy:

Greg86 wrote:

Thanks Again.

I'm glad you got it working!  Don't be a stranger.  :smileyhappy:

552 of 592 (1,930 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 28, 2014 1:43:06 PM
(0)
Voyager
Edited by mroy on Jan 28, 2014 at 1:45:02 PM

I have read about 50% of this thread and have not found a solution to my issue.  Due to a complicated home network and the inability to get my Linksys EA4500 to run in Bridge Mode, I currently have my Wireless Router configured as a wireless access point.  I would like to configure it in a bridge mode to leverage the USB port on the back of the router for FTPing outside the network, the Smart WiFi and media prioritization features of the router.

That being said, I tried once again last night to configure the router/RG in Bridge Mode following Post#2 and was unsuccessful.  My network is currently a combination of mostly wired with 2 iPads, 2iPhones, 1 wireless printer and two laptops.  I have network drops in most of the rooms terminating to a patch pannel in the basement.  I then have patch cables running from the patch pannel to an 8 port switch.  The following is connected to the 8 port switch:

• Family Room Drop
  • Bedroom Drop
  • Living Room Drop
  • Office Drop
  • Uverse Gateway
  • Home Server

Additionally, in each room specified above, there is another switch that has the following connected to it:

1.  Bedroom:
    • Uverse STB
    • Apple TV
  2. Living Room
    • Uverse STB
    • Apple TV
    • Blueray Player
    • XBox 360
  3. Family Room
    • Uverse STB
    • Apple TV
    • Blueray Player
  4. Office
    • Desktop PC
    • Laser Printer
    • Linksys EA4500 Router

I followed all of the setup in structions in Post #2 including changing the DHCP range on my router to 192.168.2.x.  Physically, I unplugged the RG from the switch in the basement and plugged it into the WAN port on the Linksys Router.  The problem was that the Uverse Set Top Boxes lost connectivity.  The only way to get them to reconnect and re-establish the TV signal was to then reconnect the RG back to the switch.  However if I do so and also have the RG connected to the WAN port of the Linksys at the same time the internet connection becomes unstable.  It tends to go in and out.  Also, the other devices that are on the wired network continue to get assigned IP addresses from the RG so the only way to keep everything on the same network is to configure static IP's for all of the wired devices within the 192.168.2.x range. 

I would appreciate any assistance I can get however I'm open to the possibility that my situation is too complicated and I may want to just go back to the wireless access point solution.

Thanks in advanced.

I have read about 50% of this thread and have not found a solution to my issue.  Due to a complicated home network and the inability to get my Linksys EA4500 to run in Bridge Mode, I currently have my Wireless Router configured as a wireless access point.  I would like to configure it in a bridge mode to leverage the USB port on the back of the router for FTPing outside the network, the Smart WiFi and media prioritization features of the router.

That being said, I tried once again last night to configure the router/RG in Bridge Mode following Post#2 and was unsuccessful.  My network is currently a combination of mostly wired with 2 iPads, 2iPhones, 1 wireless printer and two laptops.  I have network drops in most of the rooms terminating to a patch pannel in the basement.  I then have patch cables running from the patch pannel to an 8 port switch.  The following is connected to the 8 port switch:

• Family Room Drop
  • Bedroom Drop
  • Living Room Drop
  • Office Drop
  • Uverse Gateway
  • Home Server

Additionally, in each room specified above, there is another switch that has the following connected to it:

1.  Bedroom:
    • Uverse STB
    • Apple TV
  2. Living Room
    • Uverse STB
    • Apple TV
    • Blueray Player
    • XBox 360
  3. Family Room
    • Uverse STB
    • Apple TV
    • Blueray Player
  4. Office
    • Desktop PC
    • Laser Printer
    • Linksys EA4500 Router

I followed all of the setup in structions in Post #2 including changing the DHCP range on my router to 192.168.2.x.  Physically, I unplugged the RG from the switch in the basement and plugged it into the WAN port on the Linksys Router.  The problem was that the Uverse Set Top Boxes lost connectivity.  The only way to get them to reconnect and re-establish the TV signal was to then reconnect the RG back to the switch.  However if I do so and also have the RG connected to the WAN port of the Linksys at the same time the internet connection becomes unstable.  It tends to go in and out.  Also, the other devices that are on the wired network continue to get assigned IP addresses from the RG so the only way to keep everything on the same network is to configure static IP's for all of the wired devices within the 192.168.2.x range. 

I would appreciate any assistance I can get however I'm open to the possibility that my situation is too complicated and I may want to just go back to the wireless access point solution.

Thanks in advanced.

[ Edited ]
553 of 592 (1,883 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 28, 2014 2:21:34 PM
(0)
Employee
Edited by my thoughts on Jan 28, 2014 at 2:26:20 PM

You basically cannot mix iptv multicast traffic with internet .
Solutions include running additional Ethernet cables for Uverse tvs back to a netgear gs105 or gs108 switch into one port of RG.
Purchase multiport Vlan switch to program each port, believe will still need Uverse receiver(s) on separate cabling.

recommend one new ethernet run DVR to gateway, replaced two hardwire receivers with wireless ($49 charge) includes WAP,so need either two ports free on Rg for DVR, WAP or 1 port for gs105 switch supporting dvr , wap.

You basically cannot mix iptv multicast traffic with internet .
Solutions include running additional Ethernet cables for Uverse tvs back to a netgear gs105 or gs108 switch into one port of RG.
Purchase multiport Vlan switch to program each port, believe will still need Uverse receiver(s) on separate cabling.

recommend one new ethernet run DVR to gateway, replaced two hardwire receivers with wireless ($49 charge) includes WAP,so need either two ports free on Rg for DVR, WAP or 1 port for gs105 switch supporting dvr , wap.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

[ Edited ]
554 of 592 (1,879 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 28, 2014 3:50:42 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

As my thoughts said, you should segregate your IPTV and Internet traffic.  This isn't strictly necessary, but there are two situations when it becomes necessary:

• You wish to use your own router for your Internet traffic (98% of consumer routers cannot handle the IGMP v3 signaling necessary to correctly handle the IPTV), or
  • You are connecting a Wireless Access Point or Wireless Router to your network.  (Most Wireless Routers/Access Points handle Multicast Traffic by slowing to a crawl and fouling up your network speed.)

Your cardinal sin in this case is attempting to serve your STB/DVR through your own router.

If you were just using your router as an Access Point (post 13), which means not connecting it in-line but connecting it such that it was connected to a port on the RG that served no STB/DVR, you'd probably get away with it.  But then you lose any routing functions.

You can use VLAN capable switches to segregate traffic going through one wire.  This would allow you to send IPTV and HSI traffic down the same wire, then break them out on the other end.  But I count 4 places you'd need one in your configuration.

As my thoughts said, you should segregate your IPTV and Internet traffic.  This isn't strictly necessary, but there are two situations when it becomes necessary:

• You wish to use your own router for your Internet traffic (98% of consumer routers cannot handle the IGMP v3 signaling necessary to correctly handle the IPTV), or
  • You are connecting a Wireless Access Point or Wireless Router to your network.  (Most Wireless Routers/Access Points handle Multicast Traffic by slowing to a crawl and fouling up your network speed.)

Your cardinal sin in this case is attempting to serve your STB/DVR through your own router.

If you were just using your router as an Access Point (post 13), which means not connecting it in-line but connecting it such that it was connected to a port on the RG that served no STB/DVR, you'd probably get away with it.  But then you lose any routing functions.

You can use VLAN capable switches to segregate traffic going through one wire.  This would allow you to send IPTV and HSI traffic down the same wire, then break them out on the other end.  But I count 4 places you'd need one in your configuration.

555 of 592 (1,870 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 29, 2014 7:44:39 AM
(0)
Voyager
Edited by mroy on Jan 29, 2014 at 7:45:46 AM

Thank you both for your responses.  You both basically confirmed what I already suspected.

Do you agree that there is value in being able to utilize a secondary router to manage my internal network?  I feel that the routing capabilities of the RG are limited and also has a substandard user interface.

If you agree that I should move forward with segrating the IPTV traffic from the rest of the network then it sounds like you are suggesting that I introduce one or many "Smart Switches" to the equation.  You referenced the Netgear GS108.  I looked it up and there is a GS108T that appears to be Managed.  Is this what you are referring to?

Thank you both for your responses.  You both basically confirmed what I already suspected.

Do you agree that there is value in being able to utilize a secondary router to manage my internal network?  I feel that the routing capabilities of the RG are limited and also has a substandard user interface.

If you agree that I should move forward with segrating the IPTV traffic from the rest of the network then it sounds like you are suggesting that I introduce one or many "Smart Switches" to the equation.  You referenced the Netgear GS108.  I looked it up and there is a GS108T that appears to be Managed.  Is this what you are referring to?

[ Edited ]
556 of 592 (1,855 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 29, 2014 9:33:36 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

The GS108T (T for tagging) allows you to create VLANs, and the packets will be tagged such that the VLAN can be carried through to another compatible switch who will respect the tagging and break packets back into their desired VLAN.

So here is an example:

Switch 1:

Create VLAN1 for IPTV, and connect LAN port 1 from the RG to a VLAN1 port.

Create VLAN2 for Internet, and connect LAN port 2 fro the RG to a VLAN2 port.

Set one port so that it is in both VLAN1 and VLAN2.

Switch 2: (e.g. Bedroom)

Create VLAN1 for IPTV, and connect your DVR to a port in VLAN1

Create VLAN2 for Internet access, and connect your PC, TV and/or Bluray player to it

Set up one port in both VLAN's and connect it to the cable from switch 1.

Packets from both VLAN's flow between the switches on one cable, the respective switches take care of putting them on the right ports.

The GS108T (T for tagging) allows you to create VLANs, and the packets will be tagged such that the VLAN can be carried through to another compatible switch who will respect the tagging and break packets back into their desired VLAN.

So here is an example:

Switch 1:

Create VLAN1 for IPTV, and connect LAN port 1 from the RG to a VLAN1 port.

Create VLAN2 for Internet, and connect LAN port 2 fro the RG to a VLAN2 port.

Set one port so that it is in both VLAN1 and VLAN2.

Switch 2: (e.g. Bedroom)

Create VLAN1 for IPTV, and connect your DVR to a port in VLAN1

Create VLAN2 for Internet access, and connect your PC, TV and/or Bluray player to it

Set up one port in both VLAN's and connect it to the cable from switch 1.

Packets from both VLAN's flow between the switches on one cable, the respective switches take care of putting them on the right ports.

557 of 592 (1,863 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 3, 2014 5:30:27 PM
(0)
Voyager
Edited by ABeezy13 on Feb 3, 2014 at 8:39:33 PM

Hi everyone looking for help...

I have the UVERSE i38HG 2WIRE router/modem combo. They also gave me a wireless access point which they insist I use. I am ok with networking and some of the basic tasks... however this seems to be stumping me. I had purchased my Belkin N600 wireless router about a month ago and just recently learned that I am not taking full advantage of it. The reason I had bought this is because the 2Wire brand doesn't offer the functions I want to take advantage of. I had called AT&T and they had turned off the wireless portion, so I now connect wirelessly to the N600 router. My issue is I need to use some port fowarding options as well as UPNP and would like to take full advantage of my router. I was informed that this is still being "blocked by the i38HG". Which lead me to do some research on bridging. I really would like some help with this as I am having a hard time following the steps mentioned on the first page.

With the new Playstation 4 users are able to remote play with the Playstation Vita from outside there network. Everything is set up and good to go between the PS4 and Vita except when it gets to the final stage it of connecting it fails. I beleive this is due to the port forwarding and my Belkin router not actually handling all these functions... I've read that even thought the router is working for my wireless if I don't bridge it, it doesnt matter if I make changes to these settings on the router they wont work. Looking for some help, please! If someone can help me with this whole bridging thing so my personal router controls everything that would be awesome.

I will be checking back frequently if someone that knows how to help either posts or sends me a message.

Hi everyone looking for help...

I have the UVERSE i38HG 2WIRE router/modem combo. They also gave me a wireless access point which they insist I use. I am ok with networking and some of the basic tasks... however this seems to be stumping me. I had purchased my Belkin N600 wireless router about a month ago and just recently learned that I am not taking full advantage of it. The reason I had bought this is because the 2Wire brand doesn't offer the functions I want to take advantage of. I had called AT&T and they had turned off the wireless portion, so I now connect wirelessly to the N600 router. My issue is I need to use some port fowarding options as well as UPNP and would like to take full advantage of my router. I was informed that this is still being "blocked by the i38HG". Which lead me to do some research on bridging. I really would like some help with this as I am having a hard time following the steps mentioned on the first page.

With the new Playstation 4 users are able to remote play with the Playstation Vita from outside there network. Everything is set up and good to go between the PS4 and Vita except when it gets to the final stage it of connecting it fails. I beleive this is due to the port forwarding and my Belkin router not actually handling all these functions... I've read that even thought the router is working for my wireless if I don't bridge it, it doesnt matter if I make changes to these settings on the router they wont work. Looking for some help, please! If someone can help me with this whole bridging thing so my personal router controls everything that would be awesome.

I will be checking back frequently if someone that knows how to help either posts or sends me a message.

[ Edited ]
558 of 592 (1,993 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 12, 2014 10:09:34 PM
(0)
Tutor

I have the 3800-HGVB RG and wanted to get a faster wireless network, so I bought a D-Link 826L dual band router, and set it up in AP mode. I tried doing it with the WAN port as a real router, but I was never able to get my firewall settings to open the needed ports correctly, so I gave up and went the other route, which I must say, went without a breeze and everything was connected perfectly. My firewall still works perfect and all my devices connect without any problem.

However... I made some tests and it turns out, streaming to an apple TV and to an android box, using XBMC, was way way faster with the wireless G network of the uverse RG, that with any of the two networks from the new DLink (2G and 5G). For instance, the time it took to start a movie using the uverse router was about 1 min 40 secs; and I was never able to get the same movie started with any of the other networks, in both devices sooner than 3 mins, sometimes more than that.

Do you have any idea why is that? The two routers are next to each other, and really not too far from the room with the TV, actually, the apple TV says the signal is excellent when I connect to either router. I tried different channels, different security methods, and other things, but nothing made it faster.

I wonder if somebody has any advice. Thanks very much.

I have the 3800-HGVB RG and wanted to get a faster wireless network, so I bought a D-Link 826L dual band router, and set it up in AP mode. I tried doing it with the WAN port as a real router, but I was never able to get my firewall settings to open the needed ports correctly, so I gave up and went the other route, which I must say, went without a breeze and everything was connected perfectly. My firewall still works perfect and all my devices connect without any problem.

However... I made some tests and it turns out, streaming to an apple TV and to an android box, using XBMC, was way way faster with the wireless G network of the uverse RG, that with any of the two networks from the new DLink (2G and 5G). For instance, the time it took to start a movie using the uverse router was about 1 min 40 secs; and I was never able to get the same movie started with any of the other networks, in both devices sooner than 3 mins, sometimes more than that.

Do you have any idea why is that? The two routers are next to each other, and really not too far from the room with the TV, actually, the apple TV says the signal is excellent when I connect to either router. I tried different channels, different security methods, and other things, but nothing made it faster.

I wonder if somebody has any advice. Thanks very much.

559 of 592 (1,869 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 18, 2014 8:59:54 AM
(0)
Voyager

Hi there,

I am hoping someone can help me with my current issue. I am trying to set up an Asus RT-N12 router as an access point. I have followed the instructions on post #13. I am trying to extend my wifi range and have the router hooked up to the wireless gateway through a switch. When I initially set up the router as an access point following the steps on post 13, everything works fine for a while. After approximately 30 min or so, I can no longer connect the the Asus router at all. My devices can see the asus router but I cannot connect to it. Does anyone know what may be causing this?

Hi there,

I am hoping someone can help me with my current issue. I am trying to set up an Asus RT-N12 router as an access point. I have followed the instructions on post #13. I am trying to extend my wifi range and have the router hooked up to the wireless gateway through a switch. When I initially set up the router as an access point following the steps on post 13, everything works fine for a while. After approximately 30 min or so, I can no longer connect the the Asus router at all. My devices can see the asus router but I cannot connect to it. Does anyone know what may be causing this?

560 of 592 (1,646 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 3, 2014 7:57:13 PM
(0)
Voyager

I set up a Netgear R6300 router behind a 2Wire 3800HGV-B AT&T RG using Post 2. It knocked out my TVs.

The ATT Tech (knowledgeable about router behind RG for a change!) found that the Netgear router assigned new IP addresses to the TV receivers causing them to lose communication. The Netgear forum (http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=77885) had a reply that R6300 can only be used as AP behind ATT RG. Result: RG cannot be used as a bridge with this router. Has anyone else run into this situation?

BTW I changed the setup to using the router as a Wireless Access Point using post 13 and all is fine.

I set up a Netgear R6300 router behind a 2Wire 3800HGV-B AT&T RG using Post 2. It knocked out my TVs.

The ATT Tech (knowledgeable about router behind RG for a change!) found that the Netgear router assigned new IP addresses to the TV receivers causing them to lose communication. The Netgear forum (http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=77885) had a reply that R6300 can only be used as AP behind ATT RG. Result: RG cannot be used as a bridge with this router. Has anyone else run into this situation?

BTW I changed the setup to using the router as a Wireless Access Point using post 13 and all is fine.

561 of 592 (1,541 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 12, 2014 12:31:47 PM
(0)
Teacher

Hello, I'm hoping someone can help.  I have AT&T u-verse (Internet, TV and phone) and I just bought an Asus RT-N66R router.  I want to replace the wireless functionality of the RG with the more powerful wireless capabilities of the Asus.  I plan to follow the instructions in post #13.

The question I have is around the last part, specifically around the SSID, encryption, password, etc.  As I understand it, I must make the information on the Asus match that of the RG (SSID, etc).  However, the part I'm confused about are two things:

1. Since I plan to turn off the wireless on the RG, do I still need to worry about making them the same?
  2. Since the Asus has both 2.4GHz and 5GHz, how do I handle the SSIDs for those?  As I understand it, both bands need to have different SSIDs, correct?

Thanks for the help!!

Hello, I'm hoping someone can help.  I have AT&T u-verse (Internet, TV and phone) and I just bought an Asus RT-N66R router.  I want to replace the wireless functionality of the RG with the more powerful wireless capabilities of the Asus.  I plan to follow the instructions in post #13.

The question I have is around the last part, specifically around the SSID, encryption, password, etc.  As I understand it, I must make the information on the Asus match that of the RG (SSID, etc).  However, the part I'm confused about are two things:

1. Since I plan to turn off the wireless on the RG, do I still need to worry about making them the same?
  2. Since the Asus has both 2.4GHz and 5GHz, how do I handle the SSIDs for those?  As I understand it, both bands need to have different SSIDs, correct?

Thanks for the help!!

562 of 592 (1,465 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 12, 2014 5:15:43 PM
(0)
Expert
The purpose of making the SSID and encryption match that of the RG is for people who want to increase coverage by using both wireless access points (the RG and their 3rd-party access point). That way, clients can roam from one access point to the other.

If you're going to turn off wireless on the RG, then you can make the SSID and encryption on your access point anything you want.

As far as separate SSIDs for different bands, some routers require different SSIDs for each band and they have to be configured separately. Other routers use the same SSID for both bands. I'm not sure which method the Asus uses.
The purpose of making the SSID and encryption match that of the RG is for people who want to increase coverage by using both wireless access points (the RG and their 3rd-party access point). That way, clients can roam from one access point to the other.

If you're going to turn off wireless on the RG, then you can make the SSID and encryption on your access point anything you want.

As far as separate SSIDs for different bands, some routers require different SSIDs for each band and they have to be configured separately. Other routers use the same SSID for both bands. I'm not sure which method the Asus uses.

563 of 592 (1,441 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 24, 2014 8:26:32 AM
(0)
Voyager

Before asking my question, I'd just like to join those who have already thanked you for your excellent advice and info somejoe7777 !! And your movie quote and clip sig is amazing! (says the major movie lover)

Ok, after wrestling with my new AT&T Uverse 2wire 3600HGV for a week now, I'm still having some issues. I only subscribe to Internet service - no VOIP or STB/TV.

I have 3 routers besides the 2wire, two of which were simple APs, and after setting up the 2wire, I turned off DHCP on the primary router, set it's LAN IP as 192.168.1.1, and plugged it into the switched network via LAN port connected to the 2wire, thus making it yet another AP.

Restarted all the APs, including the 2wire, and the devices in my network. Things worked ok for a while, but after a day when I try to hit a website with one of my desktops, which was setup for DHCP, I got a Router behind Router page, which was strange as there were no devices serving as routers in my network except the 2wire. I clicked on the 'Resolve' button, and was told my desktop was now in DMZplus!!

I looked at my local IP and saw it was allocated a number within the range being handed out by the 2wire.

??

I re-set my desktop to use an unused static IP number, restarted, and could get to my LAN devices, including the 2wire, but when I tried to hit an outside web site, I now get this error:

"can't find the server at gateway.pace.com"

This is regardless of whether the URL is an FQDN or IP number, so I assume it's not simply a DNS issue.

The 2wire is set as it's default 192.168.1.254 address, which is what I've used as the gateway address for my static IP devices, all on the 192.168.1.x subnet.

I didn't have much luck googling the above error, so I hope y'all can help.

Before asking my question, I'd just like to join those who have already thanked you for your excellent advice and info somejoe7777 !! And your movie quote and clip sig is amazing! (says the major movie lover)

Ok, after wrestling with my new AT&T Uverse 2wire 3600HGV for a week now, I'm still having some issues. I only subscribe to Internet service - no VOIP or STB/TV.

I have 3 routers besides the 2wire, two of which were simple APs, and after setting up the 2wire, I turned off DHCP on the primary router, set it's LAN IP as 192.168.1.1, and plugged it into the switched network via LAN port connected to the 2wire, thus making it yet another AP.

Restarted all the APs, including the 2wire, and the devices in my network. Things worked ok for a while, but after a day when I try to hit a website with one of my desktops, which was setup for DHCP, I got a Router behind Router page, which was strange as there were no devices serving as routers in my network except the 2wire. I clicked on the 'Resolve' button, and was told my desktop was now in DMZplus!!

I looked at my local IP and saw it was allocated a number within the range being handed out by the 2wire.

??

I re-set my desktop to use an unused static IP number, restarted, and could get to my LAN devices, including the 2wire, but when I tried to hit an outside web site, I now get this error:

"can't find the server at gateway.pace.com"

This is regardless of whether the URL is an FQDN or IP number, so I assume it's not simply a DNS issue.

The 2wire is set as it's default 192.168.1.254 address, which is what I've used as the gateway address for my static IP devices, all on the 192.168.1.x subnet.

I didn't have much luck googling the above error, so I hope y'all can help.

564 of 592 (1,344 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 25, 2014 6:03:43 AM
(0)
Voyager
I still haven't found out why my desktop becomes the DMZPlus device after the Router behind Router page comes up, but if you select to 'Resolve' that page, it appears that along with making my desktop the DMZ box, it creates a proxy of the 2wire box for web browsers to point to. At some point I can only assume that the 2wire Uverse box's 192.168.1.254 address was resolving to gateway.pace.com which is non-existent in global DNS.
I still haven't found out why my desktop becomes the DMZPlus device after the Router behind Router page comes up, but if you select to 'Resolve' that page, it appears that along with making my desktop the DMZ box, it creates a proxy of the 2wire box for web browsers to point to. At some point I can only assume that the 2wire Uverse box's 192.168.1.254 address was resolving to gateway.pace.com which is non-existent in global DNS.

565 of 592 (1,333 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 26, 2014 8:33:36 AM
(0)
Expert

Make sure all of your units that you want set up as wireless access points are done according to this post:

http://forums.att.com/t5/Residential-Gateway/U-verse-for-BUSINESS-2Wire-3600HGV-bridge-mode-or-anoth...

Then make sure that each unit:

• has nothing plugged into the WAN port
  • Has a LAN IP address set to the U-Verse gateway's same subnet, but out of the DHCP range (usually 192.168.1.2 through 192.168.1.63)
  • Has a LAN subnet mask set to the same as the U-Verse gateway (usually 255.255.255.0)
  • Has the default gateway set to the U-Verse gateway (usually 192.168.1.254)
  • Make sure that DHCP on each unit is turned off.

Make sure all computers are set to DHCP.

Make sure all of your units that you want set up as wireless access points are done according to this post:

http://forums.att.com/t5/Residential-Gateway/U-verse-for-BUSINESS-2Wire-3600HGV-bridge-mode-or-another-AT-amp/m-p/2723261#M313

Then make sure that each unit:

• has nothing plugged into the WAN port
  • Has a LAN IP address set to the U-Verse gateway's same subnet, but out of the DHCP range (usually 192.168.1.2 through 192.168.1.63)
  • Has a LAN subnet mask set to the same as the U-Verse gateway (usually 255.255.255.0)
  • Has the default gateway set to the U-Verse gateway (usually 192.168.1.254)
  • Make sure that DHCP on each unit is turned off.

Make sure all computers are set to DHCP.

566 of 592 (1,318 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 6, 2014 2:39:58 PM
(0)
Contributor

This was helpful to me as well. I followed all the steps and no longer have the double NAT issue. The problem is when I followed these steps, although I can connect to my router, I no longer can connect to the internet.

Here is what I am trying to do:

I have an ATT UVerse Modem/Cable Box. I also have an Airport Extreme Base Station with Time Capsule (the new one). I want to not use the ATT Uverse WiFi or settings at all and operate entirely on my own network setup through the Airport Extreme Base Station. I don't want the base station in bridge mode because I want to be able to have a guest network running on my Apple Router and that doesn't work when in bridge mode. 

Here is what I have done: 

I followed the steps of setting up routers WAN in DHCP mode. I then plugged into the ATT Uverse setup. I restarted the router. I went into the ATT network and went to settings - firewall - applications pinholes and dmz. I selected the Apple Airport under section 1. I clicked the DMZPlus button under section 2. I clicked save. I restarted the router and follwed the steps. I went back and unchecked stealth mode, block ping, strict UDP session control. I checked outbound protocol control except netbios. I unchecked netbios under inbound protocol control. I unchecked all the attack detection checkboxes. I clicked save. 

Here is my problem: 

Although I can now login to my router and guest network through the Apple Airport Extreme, it won't connect to the internet itself so I can surf the web. I can turn on my ATT router WiFi and that works online. But the Apple router despite being connected does not. I also can - while logged into the Apple router - put in the ATT network's IP address and login to check the ATT network settings. I also checked to see that it is connected to the internet and it says yes. But again, if logging onto wifi through the Apple Airport router in this setup I can not go online. 

Help? Does anyone have an idea of why this is happening? Any other links to solutions that work better? Thank you. 

This was helpful to me as well. I followed all the steps and no longer have the double NAT issue. The problem is when I followed these steps, although I can connect to my router, I no longer can connect to the internet.

Here is what I am trying to do:

I have an ATT UVerse Modem/Cable Box. I also have an Airport Extreme Base Station with Time Capsule (the new one). I want to not use the ATT Uverse WiFi or settings at all and operate entirely on my own network setup through the Airport Extreme Base Station. I don't want the base station in bridge mode because I want to be able to have a guest network running on my Apple Router and that doesn't work when in bridge mode. 

Here is what I have done: 

I followed the steps of setting up routers WAN in DHCP mode. I then plugged into the ATT Uverse setup. I restarted the router. I went into the ATT network and went to settings - firewall - applications pinholes and dmz. I selected the Apple Airport under section 1. I clicked the DMZPlus button under section 2. I clicked save. I restarted the router and follwed the steps. I went back and unchecked stealth mode, block ping, strict UDP session control. I checked outbound protocol control except netbios. I unchecked netbios under inbound protocol control. I unchecked all the attack detection checkboxes. I clicked save. 

Here is my problem: 

Although I can now login to my router and guest network through the Apple Airport Extreme, it won't connect to the internet itself so I can surf the web. I can turn on my ATT router WiFi and that works online. But the Apple router despite being connected does not. I also can - while logged into the Apple router - put in the ATT network's IP address and login to check the ATT network settings. I also checked to see that it is connected to the internet and it says yes. But again, if logging onto wifi through the Apple Airport router in this setup I can not go online. 

Help? Does anyone have an idea of why this is happening? Any other links to solutions that work better? Thank you. 

567 of 592 (1,407 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 15, 2014 10:55:58 PM
(0)
Contributor
I am planing on using the instructions in post 2 of this thread to set up an Asus RT-N66U behind my 2Wire 3801HGV. The 3801HGV provides internet and phone only. My RT-N66U has a default IP address of 192.168.1.1. Should I change it to 192.168.2.1 before I start the installation process? Secondly, has any of the settings in described in post 2 changed with the current 3801HGV with the latest firmware installed? Thanks!
I am planing on using the instructions in post 2 of this thread to set up an Asus RT-N66U behind my 2Wire 3801HGV. The 3801HGV provides internet and phone only. My RT-N66U has a default IP address of 192.168.1.1. Should I change it to 192.168.2.1 before I start the installation process? Secondly, has any of the settings in described in post 2 changed with the current 3801HGV with the latest firmware installed? Thanks!

568 of 592 (1,127 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 18, 2014 10:54:59 AM
(0)
Expert

Yserg wrote:

Yes, change the LAN settings of your router to 192.168.2.1 before starting, this will avoid any interference later.

No, nothing has changed with the firmware updates on the 2Wire routers, the procedure should work as written.

Yserg wrote:

Yes, change the LAN settings of your router to 192.168.2.1 before starting, this will avoid any interference later.

No, nothing has changed with the firmware updates on the 2Wire routers, the procedure should work as written.

569 of 592 (1,101 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 22, 2014 8:21:13 PM
(0)
Voyager

Ok guys, I'm having a really hard time setting up my WDn900 behind my 2wire 3800HGV. Now ive been on three different forums and I feel like im getting different answers. I just want to use the wireless funtion from the wd to take advantage of the duel band wifi. id also like to plug in my Mybook to have a wireless drive my family can access within the home. Can this be done? is there a fools proof how-to someone can point me to?  

Ok guys, I'm having a really hard time setting up my WDn900 behind my 2wire 3800HGV. Now ive been on three different forums and I feel like im getting different answers. I just want to use the wireless funtion from the wd to take advantage of the duel band wifi. id also like to plug in my Mybook to have a wireless drive my family can access within the home. Can this be done? is there a fools proof how-to someone can point me to?  

570 of 592 (878 Views)